ImageImageImageImage

When and will nicholson take over the PF spot?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Where will andrew end up?

Starting by the end of the season
16%
Developing his game off the bench, building playtime as a reserve.
72%
We need to upgrade and keep him on the bench
13%

Total votes: 32

doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Re: When and will nicholson take over the PF spot? 

Post#21 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:42 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I seriously doubt Nicholson starts this year. I don't think he will be a starting caliber player in the NBA, but more of a role player for instant offense. I hate to say Drew Gooden type of player as Nicholson has more potential, but he reminds me of that type of role player.

But Harkless, this kid could be very good. Once he develops the basketball I.Q. to learn the plays and structure of the coaches system, he could be a starter at some point this year. The thing holding these two kids back is that they are often out of rotation which hurts the system. This is probably why they may not be starters anytime soon.

*bookmarked*
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#22 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:11 am

Andrew has the potential to be an elite big man scorer in this league. The key for him will be his work ethic and not resting on his laurels. He does have to get stronger and continue to develop a better understanding of how the NBA game is played. That will come with time, but it's the work ethic that really needs to be there.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#23 » by MitchellUK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:Not sure why defense matters when Andrew is a rookie and the team is tanking

Of course it matters. We want our rookies to learn to play the game the right way. That means being patient and working with them through defensive issues, but it doesn't mean not caring about it. It's a two way sport, we shouldn't just be playing to their strengths, we should have them working to improve on their weaknesses.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,827

Post#24 » by Last Guardian » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Next season. This season he can scout the game and improve the little things before he is our full time starter.

His potential offensively is obvious. He can score facing up, back to the basket, mid-range jumper and he draws fouls + hits free throws. He will be a scoring machine.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#25 » by BaunceyChillups » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:18 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:Not sure why defense matters when Andrew is a rookie and the team is tanking

Of course it matters. We want our rookies to learn to play the game the right way. That means being patient and working with them through defensive issues, but it doesn't mean not caring about it. It's a two way sport, we shouldn't just be playing to their strengths, we should have them working to improve on their weaknesses.

What I meant was why does it matter now when the team is not even trying to win games. Andrew is a rookie, most rookies are terrible on defense and don't know the first thing about what constitutes winning basketball. In the future I could understand harping on his defensive issues but him getting acclimated to the NBA game is more important now.
jfinley88
Junior
And1: 0

Post#26 » by jfinley88 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I think Nicholson should primarily come off the bench for us in the future. Still getting him 26-30 minutes a game, but he has a long way to go defensively and has to bulk up; and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's going to live in the gym during the offseason.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#27 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:59 pm

He just needs some experience and to get stronger and he will be a 20/10 player, he can flatout score his per 40 numbers are off the charts he's already at 20/8
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#28 » by Malik Starks » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:00 pm

He is a starter-eventually-he's far too gifted offensively to be relegated to a reserve role (I see a future all-star). He has excellent touch around the basket, a wide array of post moves, (more than I've seen for any rookie in a long time) solid jump shot.

While I've said he shouldn't start, I do think he should get close starter's minutes, this team has struggled too much offensively in stretches for him to sit the bench as much as he does. In order for that to happen I'd want to see BBD slide over to center at times and see them both play together more (BBD should NOT be traded). I'm not as high on Vucevic as others are here.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#29 » by damo[23] » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Is he really the route we want to go with PF?

Personally I'd rather us use the 3 we have (Baby, Al and Nich) to get in a more suitable starting PF. Who that is, don't ask me, but really I don't feel like Nicholson is the guy we should go with, and I am not particularly excited at the prospect of him taking of Baby.
strudel forever
Senior
And1: 294

Post#30 » by strudel forever » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Give him this season and an offseason to adjust to NBA game speed and improve his strength and conditioning. He needs to learn the nuances of NBA PnR defense before he can be a big minute player.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Post#31 » by doct3r dr3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm

someone alluded to this in another thread, but the advanced stats are loving nicholson right now. he leads the team in per, ts%, eFG%, o-rating, and winshares/48 min, and he's second only to j.j. in offensive winshares (o'quinn and turkoglu haven't played enough minutes to qualify).

beyond that, he leads all rookies in ts%:

and he's behind only drummond and davis in per:

...also, he's second only to o'quinn in plus/minus:

BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm

So, basically those charts say that Ish Smith, O'Quinn and Turkoglu should start and Vucevic and Afflalo should be benched?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#33 » by BaunceyChillups » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:So, basically those charts say that Ish Smith, O'Quinn and Turkoglu should start and Vucevic and Afflalo should be benched?

sample size
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#34 » by Catledge » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 am

Thanks for the charts, dr3. They're encouraging.

In a perfect world, we would trade Davis right around when Harrington comes back from injury, allowing us to continue to slowly grow Nicholson's minutes as he develops. I'm starting to get optimistic about him.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,770

Post#35 » by FFBlitzace » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:17 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:So, basically those charts say that Ish Smith, O'Quinn and Turkoglu should start and Vucevic and Afflalo should be benched?

The +/- is about the only stat Ish comes out looking good in. If you'll notice, he's barely keeping himself above a negative PER. He's been back and forth all season on that.

Meanwhile, Drew has more than a few numbers going for him. Enough that he can be considered, without a doubt, an offensive weapon.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#36 » by drsd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 am

Catledge wrote:Thanks for the charts, dr3. They're encouraging.

In a perfect world, we would trade Davis right around when Harrington comes back from injury, allowing us to continue to slowly grow Nicholson's minutes as he develops. I'm starting to get optimistic about him.

I tink Nicholson has more to learn from Davis than from Harrington. Coach Vaughn needs to get his rookies committed to effort and defense. Harrington would teach offensive presence. Drew clearly has that in his game already.

freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#37 » by freespirit9 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Ive been saying it since the draft. Andrew is going to be a big time scorer in this league.

His arsenal of moves and footwork on the post really are just smooth and controlled and able to react to defensive schemes. You cant teach footwork like that. Dwights going on his 9th year and still looks like a robot out there.

Drew has a 7'4 wing span and weights 250lbs. He has a mid range game, hits his free throws at an 80% clip, can make hook shots with either hand. His pivoting is top notch, which lets him create space and trick opponents, especially with up and unders.

He is our pf of the future. I know there are many skeptics, but he hasnt been showing flashes of being a scoring machine possibility. He is one. If you watched him in college, it was the same then. He had to be double and triple teamed to slow down his low block scoring.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#38 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

^^^I agree. He has so many moves and ways to score, that I am very impressed to see in someone who is just a rookie. He did a running sky hook the other night where I was just like woah. He looks slow in his moves, but doesn't force or rush his shots or moves, which gives him a higher percentage of making them. It just looks natural or fluid.^^^

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#39 » by freespirit9 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I see him as more methodical with his offense, much like a tim duncan. They dont play alike nor am i saying andrew is the next duncan. But if you watch duncan, all his post moves are at about the same speed. He is very controlled and patient. Which says alot about his IQ, when you can slow the game down and read the defense.

Which players like dwight, with extremely ability and athletic ability, have a faster pace to their moves, but all their offense seems premeditated. Very little counter moves when defense reacts. So it makes them quite abit more turn over prone and less able to make good double team passes.

Return to Orlando Magic