ImageImageImageImage

OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#21 » by OrlandO » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 am

magic04life wrote:I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

That would make me sick. Bullies his way out of Orlando to his 2nd destination of choice and then somehow ends up at his top choice... Not to mention he and the Nets would be waiting for us if we ever made it back to the playoffs. If he leaves, I hope it's to another western conf team like Dallas

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.

I think it was the other way around... Shaq said Bynum/Lopez are the better offensive players because they actually have a consistent post game. No way he'd call them better overall centers because they can't score 20 and play defense like Dwight.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#22 » by SS_MagicMark » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 am

We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#23 » by thelead » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 am

SS_MagicMark wrote:We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.

we don't get LA's pick this year (IIRC)
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Post#24 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 am

SS_MagicMark wrote:We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.

If this was facebook, I'd like the S#*@ out of this post.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#25 » by OrlDave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 am

I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Re: AW: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orl 

Post#26 » by J the Drafter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 am

AhaAha wrote:Is it possible that dwight lost a bit of his athleticism? I mean even pre injury his play was not the same and some of us thought he just wasn't into the magic. I remember how he couldnt catch some lobs and this season his blocks aren't impressive and he isn't anchoring the defense at all.

I noticed the same thing. He didn't look able to jump as high in 2011 or 2012 as he did in earlier years. From what I've seen of his Lakers' games, Howard definitely hasn't been as athleletic as he used to be. Some Lakers fans have said the same thing, too. Maybe his speed and jumping will fully recover as his back gets better, but Dwight is still suffering the aftereffects of his injury and surgery.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#27 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am

OrlDave wrote:I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Post#28 » by doct3r dr3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
OrlDave wrote:I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.

2015 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round draft pick to Orlando (Top-40 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round pick is within the top-40 selections, then The L.A. Lakers' obligation to Orlando shall be extinguished. [Denver - L.A. Lakers - Orlando - Philadelphia, 8/10/2012]

2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round draft pick to Orlando (Top-5 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round pick is within the top-5 selections, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their own second round picks in 2017 and 2018 to Orlando. [L.A. Lakers - Orlando, 8/10/2012]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#29 » by Def Swami » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 am

Phoenix has the LA pick for this year, unprotected, I think.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#30 » by fendilim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

One name: Stan Van Gundy
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#31 » by Javanar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 am

OrlandO wrote:
magic04life wrote:I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

That would make me sick. Bullies his way out of Orlando to his 2nd destination of choice and then somehow ends up at his top choice... Not to mention he and the Nets would be waiting for us if we ever made it back to the playoffs. If he leaves, I hope it's to another western conf team like Dallas

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.

I think it was the other way around... Shaq said Bynum/Lopez are the better offensive players because they actually have a consistent post game. No way he'd call them better overall centers because they can't score 20 and play defense like Dwight.

Not sure that will be easy for Brooklyn to get Howard. They're already paying 89 M for salaries, and there are 4 loaded long-term contracts.
I am not a native English speaker...
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#32 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Maybe if he's lucky we will take him back for minimum ;)
AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Re: AW: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orl 

Post#33 » by AhaAha » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Hell no...i don't want him to take away shots from big baby.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#34 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm

J the Drafter wrote:
AhaAha wrote:Is it possible that dwight lost a bit of his athleticism? I mean even pre injury his play was not the same and some of us thought he just wasn't into the magic. I remember how he couldnt catch some lobs and this season his blocks aren't impressive and he isn't anchoring the defense at all.

I noticed the same thing. He didn't look able to jump as high in 2011 or 2012 as he did in earlier years. From what I've seen of his Lakers' games, Howard definitely hasn't been as athleletic as he used to be. Some Lakers fans have said the same thing, too. Maybe his speed and jumping will fully recover as his back gets better, but Dwight is still suffering the aftereffects of his injury and surgery.

Last year his jumping ability was slightly less, albeit very slightly, than in years past. This year he looks old man stiff when he is running back to the other side of the court or when he tries to move laterally when defending his man. He just doesn't look that flexible right now. It may be temporary until that back heals, but if its not then his days as one of the top 5 players in the league and as a top defender are done forever.

Right now he is still getting his stats but they are hollow numbers. He had 20 rebs yesterday but his impact in the game was minimal at best. I don't think its just the injury either, but he just doesn't have the fire he used to have when defending. There was one play that his man Verajao got open for a 15 ft jumper and Dwight just stood there and pointed to Kobe to go defend the shot. Problem is that Kobe was standing right next to Dwight. Then there was the highlight play when Verajao faked the jump shot from the baseline, Dwight dumbly went for the block and he blew by him like his feet where glued and threw down a nasty dunk. 2-3 years ago there was no way that Verajao would punk him like that, he would at least have recovered to challenge the drive. In crunch time Dwight had no impact at all defending the Cavs, its like he wasn't there. Dwight can continue to blame his teammates all he wants about defense but it all starts with him.
aka: prorl
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#35 » by OrlDave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:2015 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round draft pick to Orlando (Top-40 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round pick is within the top-40 selections, then The L.A. Lakers' obligation to Orlando shall be extinguished. [Denver - L.A. Lakers - Orlando - Philadelphia, 8/10/2012]

2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round draft pick to Orlando (Top-5 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round pick is within the top-5 selections, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their own second round picks in 2017 and 2018 to Orlando. [L.A. Lakers - Orlando, 8/10/2012]

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed

Thanks, so 2017. Well.... if all falls apart it might be a good pick.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#36 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 pm

Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.
AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Post#37 » by AhaAha » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.

Man we made some stupid claims...Start Larry Hughes, Von Wafer, Justin Harper,Ish Smith...
Turns out that Stan was right with all the decisions he made... i mean Hughes, Wafer and Harper are out of the league and most of us have already given up on Ish....
He overachieved big time for the players he had....
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#38 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Rob & SVG would've made a good combo. However, JV seems better at trusting the young players and giving them opportunities to learn and develop.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#39 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 pm

AhaAha wrote:
Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.

Man we made some stupid claims...Start Larry Hughes, Von Wafer, Justin Harper,Ish Smith...
Turns out that Stan was right with all the decisions he made... i mean Hughes, Wafer and Harper are out of the league and most of us have already given up on Ish....
He overachieved big time for the players he had....

This. I think people were so desperate in wanting to keep Dwight/Make a change that they actually convinced themselves that SVG was the problem. Stan played a key role in the development of JJ, Gortat, Lee, Anderson, and Dwight. He also played a key role in pushing Jameer and Turkoglu to post the best years of their career. Realgm users complained about his lack of playing young players and his inflexible rotation but this much is apparent now: Ish Smith, Justin Harper, Von Wafer, Daniel Orton, and Liggins are not NBA players at the minute, much less rotational NBA players. Also I know we didn't like the Stretch-4 offense But I think it is clear now that Dwight needs to play next to a stretch-4 to be an impact player on offense. Stan also made a Dwight Howard anchored team one of the best defensive teams in the league versus the Lakers defense while being anchored by Dwight.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#40 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

To give Stan credit, he took players like Vince, Shard and JRich, then made them change their roles to where they took much less shots to be team players and those players never complained about their reduced roles. Actually, players were actually fairly well behaved under Stan as he commanded respect. And, he led this team for many 50+ win seasons and at one point had like the 3rd best NBA record in a five year span. He accomplished all that with a team of Turk, Shard, various SG's and Meer. Really, just Shard and Meer reached all-star level one time during that span. Just a group of role players. And, reached the Finals of which everyone understands how freakin hard that is to accomplish and he did it with that team. Magic should just hang Stans ugly mug in the rafters. Heck, he still lives here in Lake Mary and is active in his community. I like Jacque Vaughn so far, but Stan is a legend.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic