Challenge: Get a third team for LAL/Por (LA-Gasol)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Challenge: Get a third team for LAL/Por (LA-Gasol) 

Post#1 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Caveat: This is not a move blazers front office would necessarily do, probably same with fan-base.

Portland would want a lottery pick/young asset + 1st or 2 1st accompanying Gasol. (young asset = rookie or very low salary)
LAL dont have much else to send out of value to facilitate a 3-way other than Hill and MWP, and the same applies to Portland.
The challenge is to find the third team that would be willing to hand out these assets for roleplayers on LAL and/or POR.
Por could send out Leonard, but the value back better be good. (i.e. guaranteed chance to draft good big man in '13 draft)

LAL sends to POR: Gasol

Por sends to LAL: Aldridge

LAL get younger, cheaper and faster, Por gets the most fundamentally sound healthy lowpost player in the game for a short term window and some nice assets. They also get a player who actually can utter the words"whatever the coach needs me to do" and follow it through (e.g. play center, and play on the low block constantly. no nonsense).
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Re: Get a third team for LAL/Por (LA-Gasol) 

Post#2 » by Jack wore plaid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Portland says F YOU!!!!!!

Portland has absolutely no interest in

A. Helping the Lakers
B. Taking on MWP or Hill
C. Trading Meyers Leonard

Aldridge is one of the best PF's in the game, so unless those assets are extremely plentiful, and I mean EXTREMELY, Don't bother
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Re: Challenge: Get a third team for LAL/Por (LA-Gasol) 

Post#3 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 pm

por wouldnt take on those players. please read more carefully.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by Jack wore plaid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm

re49gb_2gho32fp wrote:por wouldnt take on those players. please read more carefully.

In fairness to me, I stopped reading at the Thread Title. The assets coming to portland in this tread will be laughable for Aldridge, as well as for the 11th pick in last years draft
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

i dont think there is any way you can get enough value for Gasol from any other team to pry LMA from Portland. LA just doesnt have enough with their lack of assets, all used acquiring Dwight and Nash.

they already owe their 2013, 2015 and 2017 first round picks and their 2013, 2014 and 2015 second round picks. No one values any of their players outside of Dwight, Kobe Nash. Gasol's stock has plummeted due to play and now reports of tendinitis. Artest, Blake, Hill, Ebanks, etc arent going to get you much at all.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Post#6 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 pm

It's an uneasy challenge, indeed. Good mental gymnastics for anyone up for it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#7 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:i dont think there is any way you can get enough value for Gasol from any other team to pry LMA from Portland. LA just doesnt have enough with their lack of assets, all used acquiring Dwight and Nash.

they already owe their 2013, 2015 and 2017 first round picks and their 2013, 2014 and 2015 second round picks. No one values any of their players outside of Dwight, Kobe Nash. Gasol's stock has plummeted due to play and now reports of tendinitis. Artest, Blake, Hill, Ebanks, etc arent going to get you much at all.

Agree. Pau Gasol may be good again (he's not now), but I think even the most fervent Laker fan would agree that it isn't a 100% chance. Moreover, a salary around $20 mil has to be considered overpaid for his expected production, and especially painful to teams that don't have the Lakers revenue streams. The Lakers need to add value to move him, and as tiderulz points out, they've already raided the pantry to get Dwight and Nash.

I think the idea that LAL can find enough assets to not just move Gasol, but turn him into Aldridge, is never going to happen.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Jack wore plaid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Yes, without being an A-Hole this time, this is a really tough one. You'd have to find a team that wanted Gasol (A contending team or team that thinks it's a player away) that also had young assets and draft picks. Houston was probably that team before the Harden deal.

Philly maybe?
Indiana maybe?

Not a ton of young talent for Aldridge though, and I'm not sure anyone would give up a ton for Gasol. They probably would for Aldridge though, so they'd want to cut out the middle man
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:Yes, without being an A-Hole this time, this is a really tough one. You'd have to find a team that wanted Gasol (A contending team or team that thinks it's a player away) that also had young assets and draft picks. Houston was probably that team before the Harden deal.

Philly maybe?
Indiana maybe?

Not a ton of young talent for Aldridge though, and I'm not sure anyone would give up a ton for Gasol. They probably would for Aldridge though, so they'd want to cut out the middle man

Absolutely.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#10 » by loserX » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah. There is a reasonably significant value difference between Gasol and LaMarcus right now. That difference either has to come from the Lakers or from Team X.

But the Lakers don't really have any way of making it up without including guys they won't include. And if it comes from Team X, then that team will just take LMA themselves.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Post#11 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote: You'd have to find a team that wanted Gasol

Did you really read the op?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,327

Post#12 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Dude

there is just no way for LAL to turn Gasol into LMA. None. This thread is the ultimate exercise in futility.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 141

Post#13 » by schaffy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

re49gb_2gho32fp wrote:It's an uneasy challenge, indeed. Good mental gymnastics for anyone up for it.

Its not even possible. What team would pay the price for LMA and settle for Gasol? There isnt one. IF, and thats a gigantic if, a team could manage to provide enough value to Portland to move him, LA would be cut out of the deal entirely.
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#14 » by deNIEd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 pm

schaffy wrote:
re49gb_2gho32fp wrote:It's an uneasy challenge, indeed. Good mental gymnastics for anyone up for it.

Its not even possible. What team would pay the price for LMA and settle for Gasol? There isnt one. IF, and thats a gigantic if, a team could manage to provide enough value to Portland to move him, LA would be cut out of the deal entirely.

This. Why would anyone want Gasol over Aldridge? This thread is silly.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 141

Post#15 » by schaffy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:39 pm

And reading it again I see you have POR taking on Gasol? So they give up LMA for Gasol? What possible reason would they have for doing that???

And the third team basically has to provide the difference in value between Gasol and LMA, all for the privilege of getting back Hill/MWP/Blake?!
SirHuey
General Manager
And1: 2,737

Post#16 » by SirHuey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Wow people sure love overrating Gasol on here.

This is not the Gasol of 09, he doesn't hold that much value.
samuraix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,726

Post#17 » by samuraix » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 pm

LA does not have enough value (nor does Gasol) to land LMA w/o giving up D12
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

MeloisMVP wrote:Wow people sure love overrating Gasol on here.

The sad part is, this overrating is coming from a supposed Blazer fan.

Texas Chuck wrote:Dude

there is just no way for LAL to turn Gasol into LMA. None. This thread is the ultimate exercise in futility.

This X 1,000,000,000.

I'd sooner the Blazers trade LMA for a 2nd rounder to a team in the East than I would let the Lakers get yet another undeserved talent upgrade.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Post#19 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 pm

MeloisMVP wrote:Wow people sure love overrating Gasol on here.

Gasol showed his skills in the olympics. Players who are fundamentally sound dont just "decline" like that. The only concern here is the severity of his injury.

Gasol is easily more skilled in the post than LA is. be it scoring or facilitating. also the better rebounder.
LA has two moves and a counter move, Gasol has a myriad of moves and counters.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,327

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

then keep Gasol and Portland will keep LMA and I guess everyone is happy.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions