ImageImage

Ted Davis team commentary on WSSP this afternoon

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Re: Ted Davis team commentary on WSSP this afternoon 

Post#21 » by LUKE23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Harris should be playing more. Offense is the teams issue right now more than D. We need to see how Harris handles a higher usage. Daniels little mini hot streak is a fluke and I would hope everyone knows that. There is a reason he was available very very late in the offseason for peanuts.

As it is though, this team has too many similar level players competing for minutes so don't expect there to be good rotations.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#22 » by JBucks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Is Davis paid by the Bucks or 620?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#23 » by crkone » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Harris just needs to not double down in the post. It's a stupid philosophy when you have Udoh or Sanders under the rim. I'm guessing the benching is due to Melo light him up from 3, and subsequently lighting up Daniels. But Daniels can get down into a good defensive stance so he's a Skiles guy.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#24 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm

JBucks wrote:Is Davis paid by the Bucks or 620?

I believe the Bucks. I highly doubt if he was paid by 620AM that they would allow him to be on 1250AM.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#25 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Link to the podcast for this hour is here:

http://podcast.sportsradio1250.com/wssp2/3774442.mp3

My own speculation is that the Bucks now understand they need a multi-media presence to spread the gospel and that because Hammond and Skiles aren't good public spokesmen they have turned Ted Davis loose on WSSP this year.

I'm actually enjoying Ted's thoughts and commentary quite a bit when he's on. The other part is that I believe 50% of what he says is his opinion and the other 50% represents what the franchise braintrust is thinking and would like put out there. This gives us some insight into their mindset that we used to regularly get on the now defunct "Pro Hoops Show" that Sparky used to do.

For those who don't want to listen, Ted said:

-The Bucks are who they are right now. Likely a team that hovers around .500 for the year

-Whether they win or lose on a given night is essentially in the hands of Jennings, Monta, Dunleavy and Ersan and whether or not one or more of those guys shots are falling.

-He thinks the Central Division is so weak that 43 or 44 wins might win the division.

-Because of that, the Bucks need to really focus on winning the Central because then they would get the 4th seed in the conference and have a favorable matchup with the 5th seed. It would give the Bucks the best chance they've had in a decade to advance past the first round.

-Thinks Skiles is now settling in on his 9-man rotation and it will be Jennings, Monta, Sanders, Udoh, Daniels with Dunleavy, Ersan, Moute and Udrih (while he's injured Lamb) and that will be what he'll ride.

I enjoy Ted, I think he is pretty honest and I really like him as the radio guy. Isn't afraid to blast refs, exciting, etc. I haven't heard him alot on WSSP but have seen him on Roundtable and what not years back and he's pretty entertaining, seems to be failry honest as said above.

I agree with his opinions, I'm thinking right now that high end we'll be 43-45 wins. I don't forsee Ellis/Jennings improving their efficiency that much and Henson/Harris haven't much factors yet. Harris may be a factor by the end though. The problem is Jennings/Ellis/Harris is an awful defensive unit, and even if the front court is strong, I don't know if it can make up for 3 below average defenders. But Daniels will cool off at some point and then maybe Harris gets another shot.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#26 » by averageposter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't think his man Defense was bad, but I do think he had some normal rookie type issues facing some of the best NBA scorers at the 3 seeing them for the first time. Would have loved to find out if playing some decent minutes even later in the same game as the 5 minute starts would have resulted in shoring that up.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#27 » by Badgerlander » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 pm

I caught the beginning of the show yesterday and I love Ted on there, very honest and straightforward. I also love how he calms the 1250 guy down when he tries to stir up stupid drama and gets the show back on topic. Ted and Sparky are the only guys worth listening too. I completely agreed with his assessment of who the Bucks are, aside from Larry making the leap this year they've played about how I expected them to. I didn't hear his comments on Tobes but I think it's a little early to throw any dirt on him because of how hard the kid works on his game. Hopefully he's going up against Moute in practice and seeing how to play D every day. I just hope the next coach runs an offense that will suit Tobais' strengths a little better.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#28 » by Newz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:21 pm

paul wrote:Tobias Harris = Last years Larry Sanders.

Scotty will look just as much of a moron this time next year for not playing Tobes as he does right now for not playing Sanders last season, and a couple of posters on here will still defend him and say Tobes was crap and deserved it - and so the cycle continues. Welcome to Scott Skiles doghouse Tobes, With Larry playing and Bogut traded someone had to fill the vacancy. Pray for an injury or a trade.

To be fair... Tobes is unbelievably bad defensively.

He already appears to be a good offensive player though.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,739

Post#29 » by Treebeard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 pm

I very seldom get to hear Ted Davis cover the Bucks - The local stations in Western Wisc. do live calls of High School & local college basketball before they cover the Bucks.

Still, on the few times when I do get to hear Davis, I enjoy his approach. He has the really good radio guy's knack for creating word pictures of the action on the floor. He's clearly a Bucks supporter, but he's also not afraid to take them to task too - I like that. Call 'em as you see 'em.

I don't need or want a corporate mouthpeice trying to spin gold from straw.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#30 » by europa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Newz wrote:
paul wrote:Tobias Harris = Last years Larry Sanders.

Scotty will look just as much of a moron this time next year for not playing Tobes as he does right now for not playing Sanders last season, and a couple of posters on here will still defend him and say Tobes was crap and deserved it - and so the cycle continues. Welcome to Scott Skiles doghouse Tobes, With Larry playing and Bogut traded someone had to fill the vacancy. Pray for an injury or a trade.

To be fair... Tobes is unbelievably bad defensively.

He isn't very good right now but neither are Dunleavy, Ellis, Beno and Jennings a lot of the time. I like Dunleavy but he's a terrible defender. But he's locked into a rotation role when healthy because he's a vet and he can shoot. Daniels is the middling/gritty vet type that Skiles loves. So even though Harris is arguably the best/only post option the team has he gets screwed. I appreciate the need for defense, especially on this team given its woeful perimeter defensive options, but the Bucks could use post scoring, especially since so much of their offense revolves around two inefficient guards.

Utilizing Harris would be an intelligent way to open the offense up but that ain't gonna happen because once Skiles gets fixated on something he rarely changes. Dunleavy's ability to shoot gets him on the court despite his shoddy D. I think Harris' ability to score in the paint should get him on the court as well. Daniels really shouldn't be playing when everyone is healthy and I don't think he should be playing over Harris now.
Nothing will not break me.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#31 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Tobes just really needs to work on his lateral speed and agility and he'll be fine. That is what is causing his defensive problems, imo. He is young enough and a hard enough worker where he can still improve there.

Henson really isnt a liability on either end, so I feel like he should still get a few minutes, even less than 10 per game would be fine.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#32 » by europa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I don't think Henson deserves to play to be honest. I don't think he's been very good most of the time in the games I've seen and Ilyasova, Sanders, Moute and Udoh are all better PF/frontcourt options. No room at the inn for Henson unless some guys get hurt or are traded.
Nothing will not break me.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#33 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:-Thinks Skiles is now settling in on his 9-man rotation and it will be Jennings, Monta, Sanders, Udoh, Daniels with Dunleavy, Ersan, Moute and Udrih (while he's injured Lamb) and that will be what he'll ride.

:D
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#34 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 pm

I like what Daniels has been able to give us so far.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#35 » by mattg » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Not true but feel free to keep repeating it. Skiles dumped him because he went 1-4 then 1-9 which you can't do when you're the new short leash guy.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot you know everything about everything. Feel free to actually refute anything I said about Tobias' defense. And no, pointing to those individual synergy numbers with the amount of noise they have doesn't show anything.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#36 » by AussieBuck » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Tobes needs to do something about the blistering 42eFG% his opponents are lighting him up with that's for sure.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#37 » by Newz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Tobes needs to do something about the blistering 42eFG% his opponents are lighting him up with that's for sure.

I don't know what all of the numbers say about Tobes D. I'm a Tobes fan, I like his offense game... but when I watch him play, he just looks dreadful on the defensive end.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#38 » by JBucks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 pm

I hope against hope that Tobias succeeds, but his D is pathetic.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#39 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Defense aside, Tobes reaction to loose balls and available rebounds is often late or non existent. He's the opposite to Mbah a Moute in that department.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#40 » by Turd Ferguson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Tobes is painfully bad with his on-ball defense at or near the perimeter - the rate at which his opponents convert on their jumpshots/layup attempts doesn't change that. Don't forget the times his breakdowns have resulted in our bigs having to rotate (often not quickly enough), resulting in frontcourt breakdowns that lead to easy buckets.

That said, I'm in the camp who'd rather have him on the floor to get an opportunity to produce anyway, in that I personally don't see his poor defense as enough of a liability to warrant him getting benched altogether - I'd much rather see him get court time to continue to improve his court-awareness and spacing on the offensive end (as he's stopped camping out in the corner and was actually moving better off the ball in the last week and a half before he got benched).

It is possible to acknowledge his current shortcomings on the defensive end and still want him to get minutes regardless (as he is without a doubt still an offensive threat at this point, and his offensive production outweighs his defensive shortcomings unless someone is lighting him up)...
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks