ImageImageImage

Selling High on Love

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

phonzadellika
Rookie
And1: 178

Re: Selling High on Love 

Post#41 » by phonzadellika » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 pm

I bet Kahn went up to Derrick Williams this morning and said "you HAVE to get better."

If we get a very recent and promising draft pick a la Anthony Davis and a useful big or Affalo-type SG I'd be ok with a sell high trade. It's about the best that we can do. The problem with the sell-high scenario is that the team that gets Love is going to want to pair Love with their other couple of stars so we're looking at some other team's 3rd best player. Ugh.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#42 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:34 pm

jfg wrote:Wolves in: Aldridge, Paul George
Wolves out: Love, Ridnour, Williams, cond. 1st round pick

Indiana in: Love, Ridnour
Indiana out: Granger, George

Portland in: Granger, D.Williams, 1st round pick
Portland out: Aldridge

It is great for us, but Blazers would not touch it.
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#43 » by Tekkenlaw » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Well, you're wrong. It's a step back.

You don't know that.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#44 » by Esohny » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Tekkenlaw wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:Well, you're wrong. It's a step back.

You don't know that.

No, he's right.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,957

Post#45 » by shrink » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:

I don't know. Aldridge seems like he may not want to stick around POR ..?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#46 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Tirion nailed it.

Who's more dispensable? The franchise PF... or the unproven, often maligned GM who has possibly already taken a backseat within the organization to the head coach?

Kahn will be fired — if it means the team has a better chance of retaining Love. The question is whether Love is also bitter with Glen Taylor. That's a bigger problem... but isn't Taylor contemplating selling the team soon?

The NBA is a player's league. Obviously. Love holds the cards here.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#47 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Here is another retool.

Trade 1: Love, Ridnour, Steimsma for Aldridge, Matthews

Trade 2: Williams, Roy, Barea, Cunningham, Amdunson for Gasol. Not sure if this one works money wise.

Rubio/Shved/Lee
Matthews/Shved
AK47/Budinger/Howard
Aldridge/Gasol
Gasol/Pekovic

The Pick and Roll with Rubio/Shved and Aldridge/Gasol would be deadly. WIth Matthews and Budinger's ability to space the floor, AK47 cutting and making extra passes, Pek at the rim. That is a tough team to stop.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#48 » by cpfsf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

shrink wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:

I don't know. Aldridge seems like he may not want to stick around POR ..?

he strikes me as a guy that would stay as long as he isn't playing for a treadmill team. even if that's the case, that's no reason for portland to press the panic just yet because they have a few years add a solid bench before aldridge's contract expires.

in their situation, i would re-sign hickson, add an established big, and fill out the rest of the back court. i'm starting to doubt pekovic is really in their plans. they have cap space, but it's not that much.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#49 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Trade 1: Love, Barea for David West, Paul George, George Hill

Trade 2: Williams, Roy, Ridnour, Steimsma, Cunningham for Gasol

Rubio/Hill
George/Shved
AK47/Budinger
West/Gasol
Gasol/Pekovic

We replace Love with David West who would be good in Adelman's system, plus he expires after this year and we could probably resign him for cheaper. We get an eventual replacement for AK47 in Paul George. We get George Hill who would be a great compliment to Rubio and Shved with his athleticism and speed. We get Pau Gasol for the next 2 years as well. All while keeping Pekovic. Pau, AK47, and Paul George all expire the same year. You hope to get Gasol and AK47 to take pay cuts in two years and extend George on the right contract.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#50 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Tekkenlaw wrote:Should have traded Love for the #2 pick and snagged MKG imo.

You got to be kidding. We're just about to become good enough make the playoffs so it's time to rebuild again.

We're 9-9 without Rubio and without Love being effective. Add Rubio and MKG minus Love and we're probably still a playoff team with some good upside w/ Rubio, Shved, MKG, Williams, and Pek (plus future cap room to boot).
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#51 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 pm

We're not as good as we are with Love.
Gideon
Pro Prospect

Post#52 » by Gideon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Rubio, Shved, and AK are all high-motor players who put on constant defensive pressure, handle the ball well (or elite in Rubio's case), and continuously push the pace. Love and Pek are totally different... they're basically half-court guys who are good scorer/rebounders (elite in Love's case). It's like we have half of two different teams right now. I think it might actually be better in the long run to ship out Love/Pek and form a coherent identity as a team that pushes the pace, keeps up constant defensive intensity, and moves the ball.

I think Love has very high value right now... if we adopt this philosophy we should be able to get a really good return. Here's one idea that works in the trade machine:

Minny Out: Love, Pekovic, Derrick Williams
Minny In: Deng, Varejao, Taj Gibson, Bobcats Pick (protected), Cleveland Pick (protected), Rights to Mirotic

Chicago Out: Deng, Gibson, Bobcats Pick, Rights to Mirotic
Chicago In: Love

Cleveland Out: Varejao, Protected future first rounder
Cleveland In: Pek, D-Will, Barea

G: Rubio
G: Shved
F: Deng
F: AK-47
C: Varejao

Key backups: Ridnour, Gibson, Steimsma

The Wolves get great system fits at SF and C who are locked in for a while, along with two mid-first rounders, a Euro prospect, and a good sub in Gibson who has done very well in limited minutes for the Bulls. The Bulls get another superstar, and having a Rose/Love/Noah core is too much to pass up. The Cavs sell high on Varejao, get a younger replacement in Pek, an upgrade at backup PG, and another young prospect in D-Will.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,085

Post#53 » by m2002brian » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Love
Roy
Lee

For

Carmelo
Kurt Thomas
BLUEGREENRED
InjuryProne
Junior
And1: 6

Post#54 » by InjuryProne » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 pm

We need more white players !! /green
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#55 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Gideon wrote:Rubio, Shved, and AK are all high-motor players who put on constant defensive pressure, handle the ball well (or elite in Rubio's case), and continuously push the pace. Love and Pek are totally different... they're basically half-court guys who are good scorer/rebounders (elite in Love's case). It's like we have half of two different teams right now. I think it might actually be better in the long run to ship out Love/Pek and form a coherent identity as a team that pushes the pace, keeps up constant defensive intensity, and moves the ball.

I don't know what the hell you've been watching but Pekovic is one of the best among centers when it comes to running the floor in transition. I admitt that recent ankle problems have slowed him down but otherwise are you new watching this team play?
Gideon
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by Gideon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 pm

I like Pek, but he's never seemed particularly fast to me. He's a big, strong interior player who has a nice shooting touch for his size. I've been watching him for a while, and that's always been my impression.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#57 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:
Gideon wrote:Rubio, Shved, and AK are all high-motor players who put on constant defensive pressure, handle the ball well (or elite in Rubio's case), and continuously push the pace. Love and Pek are totally different... they're basically half-court guys who are good scorer/rebounders (elite in Love's case). It's like we have half of two different teams right now. I think it might actually be better in the long run to ship out Love/Pek and form a coherent identity as a team that pushes the pace, keeps up constant defensive intensity, and moves the ball.

I don't know what the hell you've been watching but Pekovic is one of the best among centers when it comes to running the floor in transition. I admitt that recent ankle problems have slowed him down but otherwise are you new watching this team play?

He's one of the best at running the court on offense. Not the best at running back on defense.

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach

Post#58 » by NewWolvesOrder » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:

He's one of the best at running the court on offense. Not the best at running back on defense.

I think you are asking too much from a 300-pounder. Plus the guy is usually all the way under the rim fighting for offensive boards.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#59 » by Krapinsky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Turnover_21 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
Turnover_21 wrote:

I think you are asking too much from a 300-pounder. Plus the guy is usually all the way under the rim fighting for offensive boards.

300 pounds or not, it's just not something he is that great at it, which is probably the most important thing you can ask your center to do. But you're right, every player has his positives and negatives, and Pek's positives outweigh his negatives.

Gideon
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by Gideon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree that Pek's positives outweigh his negatives... I even agree that he is mobile for his size. But that "for his size" part isn't really a relevant issue. Pek's a good player, but IMO he might not be the best fit alongside Rubio/Shved/AK. Guys like Varejao and Noah who are about 230 lbs are naturally going to do some things better and some things worse than a 300-lb bruiser like Pek, but I think they would be a better fit for the sort of roster I was envisioning.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves