Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#201 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm

montestewart wrote:^
By committing (through trades) $30 million+ per year at the three front court positions, on top of using four of the last 1st round picks on those same positions, and with Wall at PG, EG pretty much set it up where it would have been a little awkward to take anything but a SG with the #3. Maybe he took the wrong SG, but how would he justify taking Drummond after acquiring Nene, Okafor, and Seraphin? (Other than saying, "Guys, remember that trade I just made? Turns out I f**ked up.") I'm assuming if they landed the #1 pick, they wouldn't have traded for Okafor, but it is Terd and Ernie, so who knows?

We did have depth in the frontcourt, and two good big men in Nene and Seraphin (Okafor is not), but lacked star power. After trading McGee, the big man w/ the best physical tools and upside on the roster, he needed to be replaced, but instead Ernie of course went the safe route, which will never win you championships in this league.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#202 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok, the anti-Drummond's may be issuing mea culpas that Drummond isn't busting as much as I expected but ease up on the hyperbole. He's not THAT good.
Bullets -> Wizards
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#203 » by truwizfan4evr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Who are your top 3 best prospect in this draft?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#204 » by DMVleGeND » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:40 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Ok, the anti-Drummond's may be issuing mea culpas that Drummond isn't busting as much as I expected but ease up on the hyperbole. He's not THAT good.

I never said he was "all-world great" or anything, but he's been productive in the minutes he gets (all Pistons fans are screaming for him to be starting), and has all the physical tools you could ask for. I think it's pretty obvious from everything we've seen thus far that even if he doesn't reach his potential, he's still a high floor player.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#205 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:Who are your top 3 best prospect in this draft?

I like Len, Zeller, and Goodwin as top 3
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#206 » by pancakes3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:I never said he was "all-world great" or anything, but he's been productive in the minutes he gets (all Pistons fans are screaming for him to be starting), and has all the physical tools you could ask for. I think it's pretty obvious from everything we've seen thus far that even if he doesn't reach his potential, he's still a high floor player.

Much was implied though. Starpower, upside, championship...

I don't really see the vaulted floor though. The floor for Drummond imo is that he never progresses and tosses his name into the long list of C's who technically started but were never "starter-caliber" players: Olowokandi, Jahidi White, Jason Collins, etc. More optimistically, he becomes the heir apparent to Kwame Brown and carves a nice yet unspectacular career over the span of many years like how Haywood, Dalembert, and Shawn Bradley did. There's really very little chance he pans out at his ceiling as a "good" C like Joakim Noah, or Marc Gasol much less the all-nba C's like Bogut, Chandler, and ::snort:: Howard.

Greg Monroe on the other hand, I'd trade just about anyone on our roster for (even Wall if it meant unprotected future picks).

Edit: top 3 picks?

Noel, Len, Shabazz in that order.

Noel has that rare combination of size and hustle that is just invaluable. It's what separates Noah from McGee. Noel is going to set the league on fire next season. He's putting up video game stats out of sheer athleticism. 3 steals. 3 blocks. 3 assists. 10 boards. Shooting 4 FT's a game. Pair him up with an actual point guard and some legitimate coaching? He's going to be something very special.

Len. You really can't argue against the size and the polish. Marc Gasol 2.0 if he gets a bit more elevation on his hook shots.

Shabazz. The tools are there. It's just that he's not as good as he's hyped to be. The low assists and the low steals hint at low iq on both ends of the court. Not even Caron Butler good, but better than DeRozen. Not better than Beal, imo.

Dark horse. People are tripping all over themselves over Cody Zeller but Mason Plumlee is doing amazing things right now albeit 2 years older than Zeller. 20 ppg on 65% shooting. Drawing enough fouls for 8.4 FTA/game. Just absolutely phenomenal scorer. Maybe not an all-star but certain good enough to start for a mediocre team at PF.
Bullets -> Wizards
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#207 » by barelyawake » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Read through this thread hoping not to hear Bennett's name. I was entirely self-satisfied (that I would be able to town-crier his name first), until I got to Ed's post. Bennett will certainly be picked top five if he measures 6'8 and a half. And then, he'll get into a bloody brawl at Hardee's due to roid rage. He's "swollen" rather quickly. But, I'd still take him early in the lotto.

Liking Goodwin. Liking Len.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#208 » by Jay81 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 pm

ernie is salivating...

Gobert Wants To Play In NBA Next Season
Dec 11, 2012 11:16 AM EST
Rudy Gobert is a projected top-10 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and wants to immediately play in the NBA.

Gobert is a center currently playing for Cholet where he is averaging 8.0 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 19.6 minutes per game.

"I want to go the NBA next season," said Gobert. "I don't want to play another season in Europe. I know that it is going to be tough and that I need to add muscle. I don't care about the team, if I will be picked in the NBA draft in high position, I will have minutes on the court
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#209 » by barelyawake » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:02 am

I'm saying this with the full understanding that me saying it will ensure that Gobert's ankles, then shins, then knees will snap as a result (as he falls like a jenga tower). However, we should start with the fact that he will have the longest wingspan in recorded, basketball history. And that he shot up four inches in the last couple years, so he is still adjusting to his height. Does he need muscle? Yep. Tons of it. Will he come out of the box dominating? Absolutely not. Huge project. Three year project and a huge risk (especially where injuries are concerned).

But...

He's smart. He's a hard worker. He sees the floor and can make a pass out of the post (though he rarely needs to). He has quick feet. He knows when to set a pick. He's developing a decent hook. And he enjoys battling under the basket,

In terms of his stats, again, he's a defensive player. And he plays Euroball. Euroball is a more spread out, team-oriented game. And it's a pro game, unlike NCAA ball. You have to battle men above you, and against you, to work up the ranks. That said, his stats are improving. He recently had a 17 point, 10 board, 4 block, 3 assist game that I watched clips of.

Yes, the toothpicks are worrisome. But, I dig the guy's personality. And if he says he will put on muscle, I'm willing to listen and hope that he does (so I can continue rooting for him). Probably no way I take him top three. But, with pounds... Let's see how much he weighs at draft.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#210 » by Knighthonor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:43 am

I am starting to be concerned, that it is no way Stern will give the Wizards the top pick in this draft nor next season draft, since the Thunder could be getting a lotto pick here.

And
Popularity of Team > anything else, when it comes to Stern and who he gives the top draft pick to...

Sad thing for Wizard's really.

He may even give them Wiggins next season...
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#211 » by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Joking aside, I do not believe the lottery is rigged.
Bullets -> Wizards
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#212 » by Knighthonor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Man, can you imagine Kyrie and Wiggins on the same team?
That would be beast!!

SMH......
Stern .....
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#213 » by mhd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:32 am

Anthony Bennett potentially a pick for the Wiz? He's only 19 and is dominating as a freshman. Athletic freak who has an NBA body. Also has a nice shooting touch (74% FT).
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#214 » by AFM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... _Explosive

Shabazz Muhammad Dropped 13 Pounds, Feels More Explosive

Shabazz Muhammad is down to 222 pounds after debuting at around 235 pounds against Georgetown.

"It definitely impacted my athletic ability, and everyone could see that I wasn't that athletic," Muhammad said of the extra weight. "Today in practice, I was just so explosive. I could feel it."

Muhammad is adjusting to the responsibility of monitoring what he eats and has switched to a diet of mostly salads and water.

"It's completely new," Muhammad said. "Ever since I've been on my own in college, you can eat whatever you want. I think that's just a maturity thing. ... It's really taken me a long way."

Muhammad was averaging 16 points and five rebounds per game, despite his limited athleticism.

"You can see it in him compared to three weeks ago," Bruins coach Ben Howland said. "He's in better physical condition. You can see his body; he's lost a few pounds."

Kid is gonna be a beast
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#215 » by Knighthonor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 pm

to anybody else, does Shabazz remind you of Jordan Crawford with his shot selection? circus shots.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#216 » by AFM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:37 pm

I havent seen him heave up too many 40 footers yet.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#217 » by BruceO » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Other than his prototype size and athleticism.. I love his aggresive mentality, that willingness to stepon opponents throats.. He has been heavy and will score even better. Will be a dominating scorer which we really need. By end of season his status will be obvious.major flaw in his game is assists. But improving handle andjumpshot and we have a top flight shooting guard to play in tandem with beal and wall. You can start him at sg or alongside heal and wall. He has a Kobe /Jordan type focus. He will go first in next years draft. He might end up out of our reach if we win some games
kirubel94
Sophomore
And1: 11

Post#218 » by kirubel94 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:00 am

Victor Oladipo is really starting to pick his game up. He might have one of the quickest first steps in the draft to go along with superb athleticism. Jumper is not there yet but has a decent form to develop it.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#219 » by Knighthonor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:48 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... s_Unbeaten

Yikes, now this is starting to get dangerous.
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#220 » by Mizerooskie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:57 am

Very early draft boards for me:

1st round:

Shabazz Muhammed
Alex Len
Anthony Bennett (LOVE this kid & I'm assuming he measures fine for a PF)
Cody Zeller
Nerlens Noel
Alex Poythress
Rudy Gobert
Otto Porter
Mason Plumlee

2nd Round (much more variable obviously; who knows if half these guys will be available):

LeBryan Nash
Jeff Withey
Myck Kabongo
Leo Westermann
Aaron Craft
Patric Young
Victor Oladipo
Kyle Anderson
Brandon Dawson
Lorenzo Brown

Thoughts? Agreements/disagreements?

Return to Washington Wizards