Dwight Howard thus far...

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Kevaroo
Sophomore
And1: 0

Dwight Howard thus far... 

Post#1 » by Kevaroo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

What are your thoughts?

He knows where he is signing next year and seems happy thus far in LA. I personally think he will continue to struggle mentally and physically. He is not the type of player that is known to "adjust" He's already only getting around 10 shots a game and when Pau gets back that number is not likely to increase. Do you feel as if drama will incur if the Lakers still are mediocre and he is not getting the ball time he demands?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Re: Dwight Howard thus far... 

Post#2 » by Michael Lucky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

If he wants more shots he needs to figure out how not to get stripped every other shot attempts. He might complain but that's more likely to occur if we keep losing. He seems to be keeping things on the DL so far this year.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#3 » by Slava » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm

If you add the number of steals off him in the post, the number of times he gets hacked and the number of times he does shoot the ball and may be remove the number of put backs and offensive boards, you could probably arrive at well over 20 times a game the ball goes to him. That's a fairly good usage rate and we are not even playing at a higher tempo that we will when Nash returns.

He will be fairly happy with what he's getting on the court.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Soul Chef Fresh
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Soul Chef Fresh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

If he can get back to 100% (I'm sure the back isn't there yet) and learns to hold the ball up high, he's going to naturally put up better numbers.

And when he's 100%, he's hard to hack as he usually gets his shot off anyway, turning into a lot of and-1 opportunities, which is far better than two shots.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#5 » by Slava » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 pm

Soul Chef Fresh wrote:If he can get back to 100% (I'm sure the back isn't there yet) and learns to hold the ball up high, he's going to naturally put up better numbers.

And when he's 100%, he's hard to hack as he usually gets his shot off anyway, turning into a lot of and-1 opportunities, which is far better than two shots.

Stop typing in Blue, use regular font. Font colors are reserved for moderator edits and warnings.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Wreckus13
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#6 » by Wreckus13 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:16 pm

I think when Nash gets back, his usage will go up since their PNR will be dominant. He will score I think he knows that.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#7 » by Wavy Q » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:53 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:
Soul Chef Fresh wrote:If he can get back to 100% (I'm sure the back isn't there yet) and learns to hold the ball up high, he's going to naturally put up better numbers.

Stop typing in Blue, use regular font. Font colors are reserved for moderator edits and warnings.

Also green font posts
allstar124
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by allstar124 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Dwight Howard likes cheese
GSForever
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#9 » by GSForever » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Dwight wants to sign with Golden State
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#10 » by Kilroy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 pm

GSForever wrote:Dwight wants to sign with Golden State

I've heard that too... No wait, I haven't... Not ever, never.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Soul Chef Fresh
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Soul Chef Fresh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:

I see.

:(
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Post#12 » by Danny Darko » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 pm

i think we've seen enough to know that Bynum really was a much better offensive player and also individual defender. The idea for us was that we were getting a pick and roll monster and better team D player. For all the blocks, I'm just not seeing the D being that good yet, bu that could change.
Soul Chef Fresh
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Soul Chef Fresh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 am

Danny Darko wrote:i think we've seen enough to know that Bynum really was a much better offensive player and also individual defender. The idea for us was that we were getting a pick and roll monster and better team D player. For all the blocks, I'm just not seeing the D being that good yet, bu that could change.

His back is limiting his explosiveness.

If we watch his games in Orlando, he was quicker on his feet and jumped higher.

He's lost jump balls to the likes of Al Jefferson. Even if he's undersized, he has the highest vert of any Center.

Bynum has a better back to the basket game. But it was almost unanimous that people believed Howard is better, just off athletic ability alone.

We haven't even run the PnR with Howard effectively yet.. And he hasn't gotten deep position in the post the way he use to.

Everything will click soon though. I'm banking on it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#14 » by Kilroy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 am

Danny Darko wrote:i think we've seen enough to know that Bynum really was a much better offensive player and also individual defender. The idea for us was that we were getting a pick and roll monster and better team D player. For all the blocks, I'm just not seeing the D being that good yet, bu that could change.

I didn't want to get too negative, but I agree...
I'm a little annoyed that in the preseason we were hearing that Dwight looked better than ever and was ready to go... Also that he was the strongest player our staff had ever seen etc... But now he's working his way into shape.

I'll accept that, because I couldn't imagine trying to come back from surgery on my back, but after a while you have to wonder... I hope it gets better, but there have been some Kwame-hands plays out there that I'm not sure you can blame on a bad back.

I haven't been blown away yet, and I really hoped I would be by now.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#15 » by Mamba Venom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 am

A huge improvement over Bynum. And he hasn't even got comfortable yet. His motor is always running.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#16 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 am

It aint the players. There are some games we shouldve absolutely killed the opponent.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
crgreen
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#17 » by crgreen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Soul Chef Fresh wrote:

He's lost jump balls to the likes of Al Jefferson. Even if he's undersized, he has the highest vert of any Center.

Bynum has a better back to the basket game. But it was almost unanimous that people believed Howard is better, just off athletic ability alone.

We haven't even run the PnR with Howard effectively yet.. And he hasn't gotten deep position in the post the way he use to.

Wow. Just....wow. Howard's the #15 scorer in the league. #1 rebounder in the League. #4 in FG % in the League. #5 shot blocker in the league. #4 in the league in double-doubles. #12 in Efficiency.
And Bynum is....making noise of MAYBE playing in January - with a possiblity of missing the entire season now being suggested.

Just...wow.
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#18 » by Run-MKE 311 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 pm

...has been Dwight. He will grab boards, get buckets and be a force.

But he will also get stripped often, is an anchor late in games with the FTs and is just starting to find his killer instinct being around Kobe.

Still want to see where this process is at the all-star break.
Ball so hard.
Soul Chef Fresh
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Soul Chef Fresh » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 pm

crgreen wrote:
Soul Chef Fresh wrote:

Wow. Just....wow. Howard's the #15 scorer in the league. #1 rebounder in the League. #4 in FG % in the League. #5 shot blocker in the league. #4 in the league in double-doubles. #12 in Efficiency.
And Bynum is....making noise of MAYBE playing in January - with a possiblity of missing the entire season now being suggested.

Just...wow.

:-? what?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm

The problem isn't Dwight's play, as has been posted already, he's putting up solid, (not legendary but solid) numbers...

The problem is that he and Kobe aren't playing together... It's either/or for them right now. They haven't figured out how to compliment each other.

That's both of their faults... But IMHO, it's also on the coaching staff to guide that process.

I know that Nash and Gasol have the potential to buffer them and take some of the responsibility off their individual shoulders, but we still need Kobe and Howard to be fully invested in each other and this system.

They need to figure it out... And they clearly need help.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers