ImageImageImage

Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Re: Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love) 

Post#321 » by Krapinsky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Whoa! Nice research there Shrink. It's worse than I even remembered it. I can certainly see some circumstantial evidence for a grudge/vendetta against the guy. I mean it's one thing to attack the Commissioner of the NBA, or the greatest and most polarizing players in the game Lebron or Kobe for extra readership (though Woj has a hard on for Kobe), but to have such a constant vitriol for the TImberwolves and their GM seems more than a little excessive.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
RightSaidShved
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#322 » by RightSaidShved » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 pm

It's not a coincidence that all writers/journalists seem to hate Kahn. Remember, he used to be a colleague. I've heard/read a few different people who worked with him talk about how arrogant and obnoxious they thought he was back then, so you know it eats at them that this guy, of all people, is the one who ended up being the GM of an NBA team. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending Kahn (I'm not a fan of his at all), but I do think a good amount of the flack he gets is personal.

That said, Woj having a personal vendetta doesn't un-say the things Love said. As has been noted earlier, Kevin has to know who he's dealing with, and saying he's surprised that the positive things got left out rings a little hollow.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#323 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Yup, I think this dates back to the Granger report.

BTW I thought this was funny from 2009
Minnesota drafted Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn(notes) with the sixth pick, and he’ll run the team should Rubio have to stay in Europe for another season. If Rubio gets the buyout done, most expect Kahn will trade Flynn, who was considered one of the elite point guards in the draft.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,966

Post#324 » by shrink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm

RightSaidShved wrote:It's not a coincidence that all writers/journalists seem to hate Kahn. Remember, he used to be a colleague. I've heard/read a few different people who worked with him talk about how arrogant and obnoxious they thought he was back then, so you know it eats at them that this guy, of all people, is the one who ended up being the GM of an NBA team. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm defending Kahn (I'm not a fan of his at all), but I do think a good amount of the flack he gets is personal.

That said, Woj having a personal vendetta doesn't un-say the things Love said. As has been noted earlier, Kevin has to know who he's dealing with, and saying he's surprised that the positive things got left out rings a little hollow.

I agree with all this, and I'm glad you said it. Kahn's general demeanor can frustrate people, and Love certainly never backtracked from his position. And Kahn has certainly made his mistakes, particularly in the draft.

However, my point is that if you're a journalist, I think you should meet a certain level of professionalism, whether you like who you are writing about or not. Woj has been wrong about some of the most important Wolves moves of the past, he inserts his own slurs whether they are news or not, and he only points to the worst, and ignores the whole story (even Love implied that). At a certain point, a writer who goes down this road loses his ability to convey the actual events he is covering.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#325 » by Saltine » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 pm

shrink wrote:

Joan Niesen wrote:After all, if it weren't for Love, for his insistence on rebuilding, even for his very presence, things would be far worse.

Do you think this is true?

I think it may be, Love must be applying some pressure on Kahn to make a better team, just by being his bitchy self everyday... I doubt that he's the primary factor though. I'd assume Adelman was the main driver for a better roster, Glen was in the passenger seat with his checkbook, and Kevin was whining from the backseat...

I think Kahn gets to much ****, the 5 year deal is up to Glen, not Kahn. The drafting failures have to fall on our scouts, at least a fair percentage of it. Kahn is great with numbers, and not much else, I think he knows this.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#326 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

unless vibes change between now and then i am definitely trading him in his final year. players don't sign extensions anymore cause the terms and years are beyond (Please Use More Appropriate Word) which means we have to wait until he's a unrestricted free agent to see if he comes back which i think is worse than 50/50 as of now.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Post#327 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 pm

RightSaidShved wrote:That said, Woj having a personal vendetta doesn't un-say the things Love said.

This. Love had an opportunity to deny saying those things, and call Woj a liar. He didn't. Instead he admitted saying them and acted surprised that those were the comments Woj focused on. If he really was surprised that was rather naive of him.

Woj definitely has strong opinions and he is not going to hide them. But the stuff inside the quotes is correct.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#328 » by floppymoose » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm not sure why you think anything in the second link disputes the Woj story in the first. As far as I can tell they are in agreement.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#329 » by Krapinsky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

floppymoose wrote:

I'm not sure why you think anything in the second link disputes the Woj story in the first. As far as I can tell they are in agreement.

Glen Taylor has said nabbing Adelman was all Kahn's doing and he gave him all the credit.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#330 » by AQuintus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

floppymoose wrote:

This:

I would go as far to say they barely knew each there before Kahn began his relentless pursuit of Adelman for this job.

Disputes this:

Privately, Adelman didn’t disguise his disdain for Kahn. They go back to Adelman’s glory days coaching the Portland Trail Blazers in the late 1980s and 1990s, when Kahn was covering the NBA beat as a sportswriter for the Oregonian. The idea that a bad sportswriter had turned into a brutal NBA executive troubled him, sources said. He couldn’t stand him then, and had no intention of resurrecting a working relationship with the man.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#331 » by AQuintus » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm

floppymoose wrote:
This. Love had an opportunity to deny saying those things, and call Woj a liar. He didn't. Instead he admitted saying them and acted surprised that those were the comments Woj focused on. If he really was surprised that was rather naive of him.

Woj definitely has strong opinions and he is not going to hide them. But the stuff inside the quotes is correct.

Kevin also said (and Woj confirmed) that he said a lot of positive things about the organization in the interview that were left out. Why? Because they didn't fit into the hatchet job piece that Woj was writing, which is what we've been telling you.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#332 » by FinnTheHuman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 pm

AQuintus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Kevin also said (and Woj confirmed) that he said a lot of positive things about the organization in the interview that were left out. Why? Because they didn't fit into the hatchet job piece that Woj was writing, which is what we've been telling you.

Those comments that Woj isolated in the text sound nothing but terrible in any context.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#333 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 am

Comment From Asuncion_A
Jerry, is Adrian Wojnarowski a huge hater on the twolves and why? Do you know when that interview took place?

Jerry Zgoda: It took place in Philadelphia last week. Woj sees the Wolves through the eyes of all the GMs and agents he's tied into to. His view largely is the view of Kahn from around the league.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#334 » by Steve_Holiday » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am

Klomp wrote:
Comment From Asuncion_A
Jerry, is Adrian Wojnarowski a huge hater on the twolves and why? Do you know when that interview took place?

Jerry Zgoda: It took place in Philadelphia last week. Woj sees the Wolves through the eyes of all the GMs and agents he's tied into to. His view largely is the view of Kahn from around the league.

If that's the case, then the league-wide, GM view of Kahn is a bit misguided. For all his massive faults, Kahn was able to bring Rubio over, sign a HOF coach, and re-sign the team's star. He took the worst team in the league, and turned it into a playoff-caliber roster. All things that Woj, and many others, said Kahn could never do.

HOWEVER, Glen Taylor needs to figure out exactly what - if anything - can appease the spoiled prince Love, and convince him to stay here. If that means firing Kahn, do it immediately. Being forced to trade Love would be devastating to this franchise. No matter how insufferable his ego is, malcontents don't bring back great trade returns.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#335 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 am

Stern, Kahn... starting to think Woj is an anti-semite!

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#336 » by floppymoose » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:11 am

AQuintus wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I'm not sure why you think anything in the second link disputes the Woj story in the first. As far as I can tell they are in agreement.

This:

I would go as far to say they barely knew each there before Kahn began his relentless pursuit of Adelman for this job.

Disputes this:

Privately, Adelman didn’t disguise his disdain for Kahn. They go back to Adelman’s glory days coaching the Portland Trail Blazers in the late 1980s and 1990s, when Kahn was covering the NBA beat as a sportswriter for the Oregonian. The idea that a bad sportswriter had turned into a brutal NBA executive troubled him, sources said. He couldn’t stand him then, and had no intention of resurrecting a working relationship with the man.

The first is the author speculating.

The second is the author claiming direct knowledge of what Adelman has actually said.

Now if Woj is lying about Adelman having disdain, then Woj is a hack. But I don't have any reason to think that. It just looks like the first author's opinion is simply wrong.
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#337 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:13 am

Go ahead.... keeping defending the anti-semite!

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#338 » by Esohny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:25 am

SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#339 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 am

Klomp wrote:
Comment From Asuncion_A

Zgoda has a vendetta against Kahn too.

In fact, all the other GMs have a vendetta against David.

They are jealous of him, cause he's so much smarter than them.

But he gonna show them! You'll see! You'll see!
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#340 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 am

Breakdown777 wrote:I will say this about Kahn. Just because he's condescending and has a poor draft record does not mean he's a bad GM. He takes a vastly different approach than most, and the way he talks and represents himself and his team aren't good, but he does work very hard. I believe his work has lead to many great things involving this team. I wouldn't be surprised if many of his "Kahnisms" are by design. There is probably much less heat on guys like Love when Kahn is such an easy target. It takes distraction away from the team (out of the locker room, at least).

Most Basketball personalities are ego-maniacs; some are more vocal (naturally). Kahn wanted his stamp on this team. That would've been much easier if he booted all the guys McHale drafted (which he did sans Love and Pek). If Love wasn't an incredible basketball player, I believe Kahn would've traded him as well to have his "clean slate" to be judged on.

Kahn has been a "yes man" for Glen Taylor and every coach during his time here. I don't like how the argument is used that everything positive is Adelmans doing alone, yet all of the Rambis screw-ups were a joint effort. The yes man personality is really bothersome to some fans, which is fine, but you can't argue that it's not a decent business mantra (albeit a sleazy one).

So, in your first paragraph, you are saying that Kahn is a selfless scapegoat, who purposefully plays "dumb and incompetent" to take pressure of Love and other people in organisation.

In your second paragraph, you are saying that, like the most basketball personalities, he is an ego-maniac, who wanted to leave his stamp on the team and that's why he was so dissmissive of Love.

In your third paragraph, you are saying that Kahn is a "yes man", who only does what a coach tels him to do.

You've managed to contradict your 1st point with your 2nd and your 2nd point with the 3rd. That's impressive.

Bro, do you even logic?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves