ImageImageImageImageImage

Laker turnover issue is overrated

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Laker turnover issue is overrated 

Post#1 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 am

All I've hearing this season is that we need to limit turnovers. Kobe in particular has preached it multiple times, the most recent being his interview with Stephen A.So I was a little curious and decided to dive into the stats a little.

As a team we're averaging 13.1 turnovers per game which actually isn't bad at all, as a matter of fact that's the 5th least in the league. However, with that being said Kobe leads the league in turnovers with 84, and Dwight is sixth with 73. That's 3.8 and 3.3 turnovers per game respectively. Our two best players are responsible for over half the team turnovers, this is concerning but at the time I'm not too worried.

There are a couple things to consider. For one, it's hard for me to imagine that those numbers wont go down as the season progresses and team chemistry strengths. Both guys are high IQ players so that wont last very long. Secondly, Steve Nash's return will have a huge impact on both guys. Kobe wont have to handle the ball and create as much, and Dwight wont have to score and create out of the post as much.

Turnovers go hand in hand with our poor transition defense. I can almost guarantee that both of these issues will be resolved to a good extent as the season progresses. We just have to ride the storm out and be patient.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Re: Laker turnover issue is overrated 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 am

Lakers have the 2nd highest TOV% in the entire league, so i would totally disagree that the turnover issue is overrated.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#3 » by Wavy Q » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

I'm not sure where you're getting 13.1, It's 16.5 turnovers per game.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

You want to explain TOV% to me, I'm not very high on advanced statistics.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#5 » by Kilroy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 am

No, it's definitely a big issue.

The only good part about it is that only 2 players made the league leaders list, so there's hope that the 2 of them can work it out...

Having Nash take over more of the ball handling from Kobe will help, and Dwight getting more comfortable whatever role he ultimately plays and becoming more decisive in the post will help.

But it's nothing that can be glossed over.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 am

Stephano wrote:I'm not sure where you're getting 13.1, It's 16.5 turnovers per game.

Well damn it, I should have used a more reliable website lol. I knew that number didn't look right. Kinda tosses my whole argument out the window. Lock this **** up lol.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#7 » by Doormatt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 am

yeah i dont know where youre getting your numbers from, but any turnover stat you look at, whether its TOV%, turnovers per game, or total turnovers, the lakers are one of the worst, if not the worst. in total turnovers were second to last (were last for awhile) right behind denver, TOV% were second to last to OKC, and turnovers per game were also second to last to houston (with 16.46 to be exact)

and TOV% is basically turnovers per 100 possessions. its basically turnovers per game, but it takes into account pace and the number of possessions. so one team might have less turnovers per game, but also might have less possessions per game, thus making their turnovers per game not look as bad as it actually is. for example if a team averages 15 turnovers per game but only averages 80 possessions, then they are actually much worse at taking care of the ball than a team who averages 17 turnovers per game but averages 100 possessions.

also basketball reference is probably the best site for most of your basic and some advanced nba stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/lea ... _2013.html
#doorgek
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#8 » by Doormatt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 am

so yeah turnovers are obviously a huge concern right now.
#doorgek
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#9 » by Kilroy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 am

To me it just shows we need both Nash and Gasol to come back and be effective.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#10 » by Doormatt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 am

idk people just seem to ignore it when i say it, but steve nash was a top 5 point guard last year. he has been the same player for nearly 3-4 years now, the impact that he has hasnt changed. even if he comes back at 50% thats still a tremendous upgrade over anything we've had in quite awhile.
#doorgek
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:45 am

Doormatt wrote:idk people just seem to ignore it when i say it, but steve nash was a top 5 point guard last year. he has been the same player for nearly 3-4 years now, the impact that he has hasnt changed. even if he comes back at 50% thats still a tremendous upgrade over anything we've had in quite awhile.

50% Nash cant be any worse than Duhon right now.
albasuna
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#12 » by albasuna » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:19 am

Simba248 wrote:
Doormatt wrote:idk people just seem to ignore it when i say it, but steve nash was a top 5 point guard last year. he has been the same player for nearly 3-4 years now, the impact that he has hasnt changed. even if he comes back at 50% thats still a tremendous upgrade over anything we've had in quite awhile.

50% Nash cant be any worse than Duhon right now.

Duhon is actually playing good basketball right now. He's actually running the Mike D offense. Kobe was running it when D'antoni first came but then he just resorted to Kobe ball after a couple of games.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 am

albasuna wrote:Duhon is actually playing good basketball right now. He's actually running the Mike D offense. Kobe was running it when D'antoni first came but then he just resorted to Kobe ball after a couple of games.

Are we watching the same game? Felton made Duhon his bitch in the first quarter.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#14 » by Jajwanda » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 am

There's at least six to eight points worth of turnovers that are killing the Lakers. They look so pathetic moving the ball, while the Knicks are crisp.

The score should be 62-49 which is not a good score but much of that has to do with unbelievable Knicks shooting and so-so effort early on by the Lakers.

By the way Sacre is a better shot-blocker than Hill. He actually knows what hell he's doing as a C.
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#15 » by Doormatt » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 am

albasuna wrote:
Duhon is actually playing good basketball right now. He's actually running the Mike D offense. Kobe was running it when D'antoni first came but then he just resorted to Kobe ball after a couple of games.

da **** are you watching. duhon is not playing good basketball. regardless of kobe, duhon is a second or third string pg playing starter minutes, and he freaking sucks as a result.
#doorgek
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,577

Post#16 » by Asianiac_24 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:27 am

Turnovers are the #1 concern on offense. Effort, perimeter defense, and P&R defense are BY FAR the worst problems though. Our DRTG is 17th in the league, which is WORSE than the 06 Lakers. Our pace is 4th in the league which is stupid considering our old ass team. Never been so frustrated with a team before.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers