Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is in a tougher situation in the future?

Celtics
54%
Lakers
46%

Total votes: 127

LKTD
Pro Prospect
And1: 441

Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers? 

Post#1 » by LKTD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 am

After this year, if you had to predict with what you know now:

Celtics will have to rebuild very soon, can players stand Rondo enough to not cause drama inside the locker room? I don't think the franchise is as appealing to free agents as the Lakers because of Rondo.

Lakers are loaded with trade pieces but do they have the personnel and mentality to stay as contenders in the Kobe era?

I think Celtics are in a tougher situation.
Mods on RealGM == Vivek accounts
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Re: Tougher Future Situation: Celtics or Lakers? 

Post#2 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 am

LKTD wrote:After this year, if you had to predict with what you know now:

Celtics will have to rebuild very soon, can players stand Rondo enough to not cause drama inside the locker room? I don't think the franchise is as appealing to free agents as the Lakers because of Rondo.

Lakers are loaded with trade pieces but do they have the personnel and mentality to stay as contenders in the Kobe era?

I think Celtics are in a tougher situation.

The ONLY player who has had an issue with Rondo was Ray Allen. Every other player loves the kid, every coach loves his abilities.

Players around the league love watching the kid play ball because they know how difficult it is to do what he does.

Stop making stuff up
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
smith2373
General Manager
And1: 1,723

Post#3 » by smith2373 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 am

The Celtics players love Rondo and have embraced him as their leader so I don't know what you're on about the players not being able to stand Rondo.

You want to talk about players not wanting to come to Boston via free agency because they don't want to play with Rondo, O.J. Mayo says otherwise. The guy wanted to come to Boston badly this offseason and one of the main reasons was because he wanted to play with Rondo. And I'm sure he's not the first and won't be the last.

Get your facts straight.
FlashKing
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#4 » by FlashKing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 am

Celtics easily.

They were a mediocre team for 20 years before KG and Ray came along. Once KG retires, it might happen again unless they get a high lottery pick in the future. Lakers always find a way to reload to contend.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:57 am

Im not sure "trade pieces" means what you think it means. No one is breaking down the door for Duhon, Hill, Blake, Jamison, Artest or Gasol. Howard is a FA and no one is going to pay Kobe's $30mil next year.
smith2373
General Manager

Post#6 » by smith2373 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:58 am

FlashKing wrote:Celtics easily.

They were a mediocre team for 20 years before KG and Ray came along. Once KG retires, it might happen again unless they get a high lottery pick in the future. Lakers always find a way to reload to contend.

Let's not act like Len Bias & Reggie Lewis dying prematurely didn't play a significant factor in that. Let's also not act like the Celtics have the same front office from the 90's.

Not trying to attack you or anything but it's just annoying as **** when people bring up what happened in the 90's as a reason to why the Celtics will struggle again once KG/Pierce are gone but don't want to take into consideration the significant factors as to why the team struggled. No other team has had their two brightest young stars die at an early age and add that in with one of the worst front offices in NBA history and it's no surprise you have a team struggle for so long.

I'd love to see how many rings the Lakers would have now if Kobe died a couple days after draft night in 96 and Shaq died in 99.
gethigh
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#7 » by gethigh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:00 am

I voted Celtics only because teams love trading the Lakers their best player. Next it'll be Kevin Love, then Kyrie Irving, then they'll sign LeBron when Kobe retires.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 775

Post#8 » by Ito » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 am

Lakers.. It's all bout Kobe breakin the points record I doubt they will make the playoffs again with Kobe and Dwight on the same team.. Celtics will be good until pierce and Garnett retire
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#9 » by TheNewEra » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:02 am

tiderulz wrote:Im not sure "trade pieces" means what you think it means. No one is breaking down the door for Duhon, Hill, Blake, Jamison, Artest or Gasol. Howard is a FA and no one is going to pay Kobe's $30mil next year.

This.

Rondo and Sullinger is a nice base and if Jeff Green steps up then all the more
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#10 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:03 am

Anyone saying Lakers doesn't realize how the NBA works.

The Lakers have missed the playoffs 5 times in over 50 years. Everyone wants to play in LA.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran

Post#11 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 am

smith2373 wrote:

Let's not act like Len Bias & Reggie Lewis dying prematurely didn't play a significant factor in that. Let's also not act like the Celtics have the same front office from the 90's.

Not trying to attack you or anything but it's just annoying as **** when people bring up what happened in the 90's as a reason to why the Celtics will struggle again once KG/Pierce are gone but don't want to take into consideration the significant factors as to why the team struggled. No other team has had their two brightest young stars die at an early age and add that in with one of the worst front offices in NBA history and it's no surprise you have a team struggle for so long.

I'd love to see how many rings the Lakers would have now if Kobe died a couple days after draft night in 96 and Shaq died in 99.

i don't think either of those guys would be messing with coke
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#12 » by Sn0wman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 am

Celtics. Lakers can easily reload
GratefulDead
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by GratefulDead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:05 am

too tough to call right now
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#14 » by spearsy23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:06 am

Lakers most likely keep Dwight, if not? They have a billion dollars in cap room.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#15 » by magic wand time » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:06 am

20 - 40 mil in cap space beginning in '14 depending on what Howard does and holds. Lakers will reload. Celtics are in rougher shape.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#16 » by Darain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 am

What Rondo drama? He's the best player on the team? Where does this headcase stuff even come from?
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
NJ_YANKEE_45
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#17 » by NJ_YANKEE_45 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 am

Lakers. If Dwight leaves and Kobe leaves that is. Jim Buss is toxic on the Lakers franchise. Do the Celtics not have cap space available soon?

Sky_Knicks wrote:
markdeez33 wrote:Bargnani is strokin it!!! I'm going nuts in here! Prove them haters wrong, kid

:o
FlashKing
Banned User

Post#18 » by FlashKing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:08 am

smith2373 wrote:

You have a valid point about Bias and Lewis but lets not act like it's a sure thing that your front office is going to keep you in contention. Ainge has dropped the ball as of late, first trading away Perkins and then attempting to deal Ray last year which he didn't appreciate very much. By the way, Kobe was a rookie when Shaq signed with the Lakers so they are capable of attracting elite talent to come and play In LALA. What's Boston's track record with free agency?
King Of The 4th
Head Coach
And1: 7,277

Post#19 » by King Of The 4th » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:11 am

I'm confused as to how anyone can look at either roster and say the Celtics are in a worse position than the Lakers. Celtics have more young talent, one of the best coaches in the league, and they have their best player signed for another three years under a cheap contract.

Lakers on the other hand have no young talent on their roster outside of Dwight, a coach that doesn't fit their needs in D'Antoni, and a franchise player who might bail in free agency. Kobe might not even stick around with the team past 2014 unless they prove to him that they can still compete and if Howard does leave, they might be forced into full rebuilding mode.

Not saying that the Lakers won't end up having a better future than the Celtics, but from a pure GM perspective, the Celtics have the better assets and are in a better situation for a rebuild than LA at the moment.
MetalFingaz wrote:Clearly he was trying to go off the backboard to the ghost of Rik Smits, but he forget Rik was still alive and that ghosts can't dunk.

KDBG wrote:I want to kill Jamal Crawford. Murder his 80 year old a$$. But he is probably a cool guy in real life.
smith2373
General Manager

Post#20 » by smith2373 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:12 am

FlashKing wrote:
smith2373 wrote:

You have a valid point about Bias and Lewis but lets not act like your front office is going to keep you in contention. Ainge has dropped the ball as of late, first trading away Perkins and then attempting to deal Ray last year which he didn't appreciate very much. By the way, Kobe was a rookie when Shaq signed with the Lakers so they are capable of attracting elite talent to come and play In LALA. What's Boston's track record with free agency?

How did Ainge drop the ball trading Perkins? Perkins has been terrible in OKC this season, and while he got off to a slow start Jeff Green has been playing great in recent weeks. Much better than Perkins is in OKC.

How is trying to trade Ray for O.J. Mayo dropping the ball? Are you gonna tell me Ray is better than OJ? You're telling me trying to trade a guy who went on to leave the team for their biggest competition in their conference for a player that legitimately wanted to play for the team and has emerged as one of the brightest up-and-coming stars in the NBA is dropping the ball?

I never said the Lakers couldn't attract free agents and I'm not that much of a homer to say the Celtics are better at attracting free agents than the Lakers are, which is completely false. Everyone knows the Lakers track record.

Return to The General Board