Top 10 players in the world

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Re: Top 10 players in the world 

Post#81 » by Slava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:22 pm

If you want to add Ozil and Neymar in your top 10 I don't see why Rooney should be in the fringes, he's likely the only English player that gets massively undervalued.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#82 » by 5DOM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I would rather have this season's Mata over both Rooney and Ozil, but not Neymar. Kid's special
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Slava » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Small sample sizes and all that..
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by 5DOM » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 pm

It's not like Rooney's been a world beater for last few years :dontknow:

In PL alone, I can almost think of 10 players who are either better than or at least comparable to him:

RVP
Yaya Toure
Suarez
Tevez
Aguero
Mata
Cazorla
Bale
Kompany
Wilshere

I think the only PL players who deserve to be in top 10 are RVP and Yaya Toure.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Slava » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 am

Wait, are you being serious here?

Wilshere's been out of action for a season and even before that he showed flashes of good promise, nothing more than that. Suarez has notoriously struggled to score for most of his Liverpool career and I don't even want to start with Bale and Cazorla.

I'd give you Aguero, Yaya, RVP, Kompany for sure and Mata has been stellar this season.

There's no freaking way United get close to 89 points last season without Wayne Rooney or win the title the season before and make the champions league final.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by 5DOM » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:43 am

Wilshere: I couldn't think of anyone else, so I just picked my favourite non-Chelsea player :lol: I think he'll be up there eventually anyway. By the way, how good was his little pass to Cazorla on Saturday? :o

Cazorla: Apparently La Liga's best midfielder last season even ahead of Iniesta and Xavi.

Bale: He was just a filler, but he is still one of a very few players in the world who can be unplayable at times.

Suarez: He could definitely improve his finishing, but he's perhaps the only reason Liverpool don't have to worry about relegation. If he played on a better team, he could score tonnes while missing even more.

Now, I understand Rooney's importance to United's success, but the same could be said for every player I named. Where would Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea and City be without these players?

IMO Rooney's probably the 3rd (or maybe the 4th) best player in the PL and is just outside top 10 in the world. He's good, but not a level or two above others like RVP, Falcao and Zlatan are.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#87 » by IronChef » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 am

I'd put Rooney in my top 10. He doesn't score the goals he did a couple years ago, but he does so much for that team. He's as good as anyone in the PL, imo.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
M_1
Junior
And1: 12

Post#88 » by M_1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

6 pages and no one has Ribery in their Top 10? :lol: At his current form he should be considered Top 5 imo.
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#89 » by Curtis Lemansky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 am

Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
Xavi
Falcao
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
RVP
Rooney
Ozil
Yaya Toure

That would be my top-10. I think Neymar is just outside of top-10 at the moment. He is unbelievably talented and has worlds of potential but he needs to prove himself in a better league (or in the international stage) first to be included into the top-10.
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#90 » by ardee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:42 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:Messi
Ronaldo
Iniesta
Xavi
Falcao
Zlatan Ibrahimovic
RVP
Rooney
Ozil
Yaya Toure

That would be my top-10. I think Neymar is just outside of top-10 at the moment. He is unbelievably talented and has worlds of potential but he needs to prove himself in a better league (or in the international stage) first to be included into the top-10.

Ozil and Toure in the top 10? On this season's form?
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#91 » by ardee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 pm

5DOM wrote:It's not like Rooney's been a world beater for last few years :dontknow:

In PL alone, I can almost think of 10 players who are either better than or at least comparable to him:

RVP
Yaya Toure
Suarez
Tevez
Aguero
Mata
Cazorla
Bale
Kompany
Wilshere

I hate Manchester United, but come on man, you're SO reaching with some of those.

I'd say only RVP is clearly better. Tevez, Cazorla, Bale, Kompany, Wilshere, no chance.

Suarez, Aguero, Toure and Mata (if he continues in this vein) have an argument.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Post#92 » by cgf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Over the past calendar year I'd go with

Messi
Ronaldo

Iniesta
Falcao
Pirlo
Toure

RVP
Ibra
Kompany
Reus

I really think Marco Reus has had an incredible season and a half, first leading Gladbach to a CL place, and then taking Dortmund from CL failures to the group stages' most impressive team. It's a stretch and there's a lot of other players that are probably more deserving, but what he's accomplished over the past season n a half is astounding and he's been the best in the Bundesliga over that time. What's scary is he's still only 23 and getting better.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by 5DOM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

ardee wrote:
5DOM wrote:It's not like Rooney's been a world beater for last few years :dontknow:

RVP
Yaya Toure
Suarez
Tevez
Aguero
Mata
Cazorla
Bale
Kompany
Wilshere

I hate Manchester United, but come on man, you're SO reaching with some of those.

I'd say only RVP is clearly better. Tevez, Cazorla, Bale, Kompany, Wilshere, no chance.

While I don't really feel strongly about Bale and Wilshere as I already admitted, I disagree with you on Tevez, Cazorla and Kompany who IMO are comparable to Rooney. But you do agree that there are at least 5 players in PL alone who are on Rooney's level? That hardly makes him a lock for top 10 in the world IMO and that was my point anyway.

I would definitely have Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Falcao, RVP, Zlatan, Pirlo and Yaya Toure ahead of Rooney, and I am not convinced that Rooney's the best of the rest which includes the likes of the 4+ PL players we just talked about, Reus, Ribery, Busquets, Silva, Neymar, Cavani, Casillas, Buffon, Cech, Thiago Silva and of course Yilmaz.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#94 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Yilmaz

Messi
Ronaldo

Everyone else
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MonkeyBallZJr
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#95 » by MonkeyBallZJr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 am

5DOM wrote:
ardee wrote:

RVP
Yaya Toure
Suarez
Tevez
Aguero
Mata
Cazorla
Bale
Kompany
Wilshere

While I don't really feel strongly about Bale and Wilshere as I already admitted, I disagree with you on Tevez, Cazorla and Kompany who IMO are comparable to Rooney. But you do agree that there are at least 5 players in PL alone who are on Rooney's level? That hardly makes him a lock for top 10 in the world IMO and that was my point anyway.

I would definitely have Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta, Falcao, RVP, Zlatan, Pirlo and Yaya Toure ahead of Rooney, and I am not convinced that Rooney's the best of the rest which includes the likes of the 4+ PL players we just talked about, Reus, Ribery, Busquets, Silva, Neymar, Cavani, Casillas, Buffon, Cech, Thiago Silva and of course Yilmaz.

Just glanced through this thread and some of it is laughable to say the least. With regards to Rooney he just became the youngest player to score 150 premier league goals. There was a time when he was not that good and was criminally overrated, now that he's actually good and no longer in the shadow of Ronaldo, he's criminally underrated?...

Look I understand he may not be the most skillful or the most aesthetically pleasant player to watch but this guy simply produces both on the stat sheet and off of it. There's tons of players more naturally talented and skillful than Rooney, like Zlatan for one, but would you honestly take Zlatan over Rooney if you were building a team? He's a big game player a much more complete player than the majority on these lists and there's no one in the EPL I would take over him, including RVP. Yes RVP might be a better natural striker, but Rooney has much more to his game and I've seen them enough times to make that statement. The only player I might take over him is a young Scholes :wink:

Also I'm not even gonna bother discussing some of the PL players you said were comparable to Rooney...like Bale and Wilshere? c'mon man I expected more from you. Both great young players but nowhere near Rooney's class.

Also just checked, Rooney is leading the EPL in assists, a further statistical indication of his all round game. Playing the number 10 role just as well as the 9.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by 5DOM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:40 pm

First of all, my ranking was mostly based on the players' form from last season, so whether I would build my team around young Rooney or young Zlatan is irrelevant. Same can be said about Rooney being the youngest to score 150 goals. It's a great record that's representative of how brilliant Rooney's been since he first played for Everton 10 years ago, but it was not of great importance to me when making my list. Would I take young Giggs/Scholes/Rooney over players like RVP and Falcao? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean I think those United players are currently better than the two strikers.

I think Rooney was absolutely world class and the 3rd best player in the world after Messi and Ronaldo a few seasons ago, but he's not been anywhere as good as he was then in last two seasons. His stats are still good, but I don't even think Rooney's been the second best player for United this season performance-wise. Rafael while volatile has a good case IMO. A season ago, Valencia was arguably just as important. That said, I didn't focus much on stats anyway because that's unfair on midfielders and defenders and can often be misleading because it depends on so many factors: what league you play in, who you play with, where you play, how many penalty kicks have you taken etc.

Also I did say at least a couple of times that Bale and Wilshere were just fillers more than anything. My point was that there are quite a number of players who can be grouped together with Rooney in the PL alone and I don't think that helps Rooney's case for inclusion in top 10 in the world considering the weak status of the league right now.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Guardian's Top 100 Footballers (11-100): http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/inte ... nteractive

How they ranked: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... ootballers

I think that leave us with top 10 (in no order) of:

Messi
Ronaldo
Pirlo
Xavi
Iniesta
Yaya Toure
Falcao
RVP
Zlatan
Robben

The list gets worse and worse because of the ranking system, but I got 9 out of 10 right and Neymar wasn't far off :D
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#98 » by Foye » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Javier Zanetti at age 39 over Daniele De Rossi? Really? :lol:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by 5DOM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Foye wrote:

Javier Zanetti at age 39 over Daniele De Rossi? Really? :lol:

The panel were asked to rank only the top 30, so the vast majority of players should be something like 1 or 2 points off from one another. Basically one vote can get you in the top 100. I think that's how Mayuka got in
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#100 » by J-Mezzy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm glad they put James in their list, I would argue he is at least top 50 but it is very hard to rank players after the top 20
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.

Return to The General Soccer Board