ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - 02/06/13) 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Continued from here
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Official Trade Thread XXI (12/13/12 - present) 

Post#2 » by miller31time » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Washington outgoing: Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld
Washington incoming: A gas station vending machine sandwich and half-empty bottle of Mr. Pibb
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#3 » by Ed Wood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm

So while we're sort of on the topic of guys who looked really good from a statistical perspective last year and may be eliciting some buyer's remorse this year is there any chance, would you think, that Milwaukee might be tempted to punch the ejector seat on Ersan Ilyasova? Both Larry Sanders and John Henson have done well so far this year and were he not signed for another year I could see Okafor appealing as a physical alternative (which would require some additional salary to balance the trade) or Ariza because he's cheaper and maybe Scott Skiles would be into Trevor Ariza.

I don't think the Bucks could be tempted, and I'm sure there will be some sentiment that this is doubling down on poor investments on our part but Ilyasova seems to me to be a penny stock at the moment and a good fit for the team.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 pm

^ Ilyasova+Gooden+pick for Nene? Gives us a young stretch four, and shave a bit off of the last year of Nene's deal. We also may be able to buy out Gooden.

And then follow up with this:

Wizards trade: Ariza
Wizards receive: Ridnour and Steimsma

Wolves trade: Williams, Barea, Ridnour, and Steimsma
Wolves receive: Gasol

Lakers trade: Gasol
Lakers receive: Williams, Barea, and Ariza

Final roster when everyone is healthy:

Seraphin/Okafor
Ilyasova/Booker
Webster/Singleton
Beal/Crawford
Wall/Ridnour

Like I said, we try to buy out Gooden and then shop Okafor's expiring over the summer. Add in a dynamic wing in the draft and the rebuild might be back on track.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#5 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Ed, I've been looking at the Bux Box Scores as just about the only other team I check other than the Wiz. (OK, confession - I do look at the Kings' box scores too, to see how T-Rex - I mean T-Rob - is doing. FWIW, in his last 20 FG attempts, his percentage is lower than the Wizards' winning % on the season. A week or so back, the Wiretap had a story about how the Kings were concerned about him "finishing at the rim". Ya don't say... Great kid, love the backstory, but if anyone thinks Beal was a missed opportunity, consider what might have been. But I digress...)

So yeah, checking Ersan, with conflicting emotions. Want to see him do well, because I was definitely a cheerleader for him last year, wanted the Wiz to free cap space to sign him - even preferred him to Ryan Anderson, because they had similar impact, but Ersan did it without having Superman next to him (and Anderson's production did take a hit after Howard went out). And you know, I do like to be right every once in a while. But then I also think about the possibility that if he is struggling the Bux just might indeed want a do-over. Of course, it sounds like exactly the type of thinking that landed us Nene - and while he's been great when he's on the floor, the injuries sure are concerning.

Somewhere in that rambling mess, the point is that I still believe in EI, and would definitely trade for him. I think Lyricals' got a good approach in that Milwaukee clearly wants to deal Gooden. And he was so horrified at the thought of playing for the Wiz the last time, maybe he'd agree to a buyout if we did trade for him.

I would probably prefer to hold on to Nene, as those two might make an intriguing pair - and a very intriguing rotation with Seraphin. Okafor for Ilyasova + Gooden (and we can throw in some value to even out) would be a great deal, IMO. I understand that it eliminates any flexibility for the foreseeable future, but I don't see how there's much hope on that front anyway.

Guards: Wall/Beal/Crawford
Forwards/Swingmen: Webster/Singleton/Booker?
Bigs: Nene/Ilyasova/Seraphin

Add in a top 5 pick from the upcoming draft (hopefully a swingman), and you have a decent team. May not be a contender yet, but a far sight better than what we're dealing with now.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:45 pm

I'd do that Ariza for Ridnoir trade right now.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#7 » by raferfenix » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Hey Wizards fans, interesting discussion about Bucks trade scenarios!

A few notes on Ersan -- his new contract means he can't be traded until mid-January, and his cataclsymically bad play at the start of the year has thankfully been improving (ht drugbust on Bucks board):
First 7 games:
23.9 mpg
.335 TS%
75 ORTG
104 DRTG

Last 12 games:
22.9 MPG
.540 TS%
118 ORTG
105 DRTG

Curious what you could tell me about some of your guys? Our roster is in desperate need of consolidating similar players into something else. At the 4/5 we currently have Ersan, Udoh, Henson, Gooden / Sanders, Dalembert, Pryzbilla. Not to mention Moute, who has played some of his best ball as our starting PF in years past.

From your end, I could see us being interested or willing to take on guys like Nene / Okafor / Ariza to varying extents, especially if you were willing to take on Gooden's contract.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#8 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 am

Sam Amico
‏@SamAmicoFSO

Kings are very open to moving some of their nice young pieces. Willing trade partner with assets.

https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/ ... 4784165888

Maybe as good a time as any to get DMC
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#9 » by TGW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 am

Pass x 10 on getting Cousins. Bad attitude, inefficient, and a terrible defender. What does the supposed "potential" matter if he'll never reach it? This is the Wizards people...there is no reason why to think Cousins would all of sudden become good in a Wizards uniform.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Post#10 » by MikeTheKid » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:55 am

TGW wrote:Pass x 10 on getting Cousins. Bad attitude, inefficient, and a terrible defender. What does the supposed "potential" matter if he'll never reach it? This is the Wizards people...there is no reason why to think Cousins would all of sudden become good in a Wizards uniform.

He and Wall were best friends, if anyone can try and calm him down its Wall and he and Coach Cal did it at UK
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#11 » by TGW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:59 am

MikeTheKid wrote:
TGW wrote:Pass x 10 on getting Cousins. Bad attitude, inefficient, and a terrible defender. What does the supposed "potential" matter if he'll never reach it? This is the Wizards people...there is no reason why to think Cousins would all of sudden become good in a Wizards uniform.

He and Wall were best friends, if anyone can try and calm him down its Wall

I feel sorry for Wall—people literally think he's the calvary that can same this terrible franchise.

Wall can't calm that guy down. Cousins has been doing this nonsense since college.

If the Wiz want to trade for a player that may be available, it should be Kevin Love. That guy is a baller. He's not playing well this year, due to an injury, but I have much more faith in Love regaining form than Cousins actually becoming a good basketball player or a person in general.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#12 » by AFM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

Because our team sucks.

That's my answer to any question on this board.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 am

The premise behind trading for Cousins is that the asking price would presumably be reasonable, yet his upside is high. Nobody is saying that the trade is without risk, but it's the type of home run swing that a team in our position should consider.

Obviously, we would all prefer Kevin Love, but we don't have the assets to acquire him.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#14 » by miller31time » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 am

What are we to assume the asking price for Cousins would be?

I'm assuming our 2013 1st rounder would have to be included?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Post#15 » by Wizardspride » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:44 pm

miller31time wrote:What are we to assume the asking price for Cousins would be?

I'm assuming our 2013 1st rounder would have to be included?

Absolutely....considering Cousins was the 5th overall pick himself.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#16 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Do you think the Kings would bite if the pick was top 3 protected? Maybe Ves/Singleton and the 13 pick, top 3 protected.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm

^ Maybe get them to agree to the protection in return for us taking Salmons? Okafor and a protected first for Cousins+Salmons? I'm still not sold on Cousins, but it's still interesting.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#18 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Ouch, Salmons contract is awful.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:56 pm

^ Well, it's only an extra year and it may not be fully guaranteed (haven't double checked though). Depending on the level of protection, it might still be worth it.
wasfan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#20 » by wasfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:49 pm

TGW wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:

He and Wall were best friends, if anyone can try and calm him down its Wall

I feel sorry for Wall—people literally think he's the calvary that can same this terrible franchise.

Wall can't calm that guy down. Cousins has been doing this nonsense since college.

If the Wiz want to trade for a player that may be available, it should be Kevin Love. That guy is a baller. He's not playing well this year, due to an injury, but I have much more faith in Love regaining form than Cousins actually becoming a good basketball player or a person in general.

i don't think kevin love is on the trading block... if he is, i bet he's pushing to get traded to lakers for gasol... he did play college ball at ucla... gasol is more than anything the wizards can offer even at this point...

i do agree with you that there is no way wall can calm down cousins.... wall has not shown any degree of leadership or maturity himself... i think the only way cousins become better as a player is if he gets traded to a lakers/spurs/miami/okc where he knows he's not the top dog and he has to behave... just look at andrew bynum... as much as he was 'hurt' a lot... he couldn't pull the bs he is pulling now with the 76ers when he played with kobe... now he's just this decade's version of eddie curry...

Return to Washington Wizards