ImageImageImage

Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Re: Oh boy, here we go again... (Woj story on Love) 

Post#341 » by Basti » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm

And do you even try to be reasonable in your disdain for Kahn? Your hate for Kahn is unreasonably strong. Way to nitpick the points people have made in this thread.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#342 » by Tirion » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Basti wrote:And do you even try to be reasonable in your disdain for Kahn? Your hate for Kahn is unreasonably strong. Way to nitpick the points people have made in this thread.

What points? All pro-Kahn retoric on this board can be boiled down to one sentence:

"Yeah, I agree that he's a horrible drafter/talent evaluator, but <insert your BS excuse>"

I mean it's pretty clear, why this is not a viable argument. Talent evaluation, i.e. the ability to tell good players from bad players is crucial for a GM. It doesn't matter what else he does well. It doesn't matter if he's a good negotiator or a financial wizard. If you're in a business of evaluating players and suck at it, then you shouldn't be in it. Period.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#343 » by cpfsf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Tirion wrote:
Basti wrote:And do you even try to be reasonable in your disdain for Kahn? Your hate for Kahn is unreasonably strong. Way to nitpick the points people have made in this thread.

What points? All pro-Kahn retoric on this board can be boiled down to one sentence:

"Yeah, I agree that he's a horrible drafter/talent evaluator, but <insert your BS excuse>"

I mean it's pretty clear, why this is not a viable argument. Talent evaluation, i.e. the ability to tell good players from bad players is crucial for a GM. It doesn't matter what else he does well. It doesn't matter if he's a good negotiator or a financial wizard. If you're in a business of evaluating players and suck at it, then you shouldn't be in it. Period.

yes, we've heard it all before. kahn hasn't done a single thing right in his life. if the anti christ exists, he's definitely it.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#344 » by Esohny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:54 pm

cpfsf wrote:yes, we've heard it all before. kahn hasn't done a single thing right in his life. if the anti christ exists, he's definitely it.

Well, that seems awfully unlikely. The Anti-Christ is actually supposed to succeed with his plans of enthralling the world and uniting it under a One World Government, as opposed to failing at everything.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
jballer_13
Junior
And1: 0

Post#345 » by jballer_13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm

I think everyone knows your stance on Kahn, and it's pretty clear that your opinion won't change. No need to nitpick and troll through everyone else's posts. If you want to discuss it that's one thing, but you haven't shown one instance of acknowledgement to someone else's opinion. You make good points and it's hard to be a contrarian on a topic, but c'mon dude, at least make it a discussion.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#346 » by cpfsf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Esohny wrote:
cpfsf wrote:yes, we've heard it all before. kahn hasn't done a single thing right in his life. if the anti christ exists, he's definitely it.

Well, that seems awfully unlikely. The Anti-Christ is actually supposed to succeed with his plans of enthralling the world and uniting it under a One World Government, as opposed to failing at everything.

are you implying that we should castrate him bieber style?

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#347 » by C.lupus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I wanted to pull this part of Mattya's post in the Wolves In The News thread over here.

Mattya wrote:http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_Scoops_Wolves_may_be_interested_as_Cavs_shop_Anderson_Varejao121412

On the Love situation

A league source was quick to remind me of a statement Kahn made at a breakfast with reporters in June 2009: "On a championship-contending team... Kevin (Love) might be the fourth-best player."

The source's informed theory is that statement, combined with seeing good friends Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose get five-year extensions, continues to have Love irked. It's definitely not the money.

A front office executive spelled out how Love will benefit financially in the future: "The reality is that while the difference in guaranteed money between the four-year max deal that Love received and the five-year designated player max that Westbrook received is $17,769,374. (Rose was named MVP, so he was able to take advantage of the designated player max where his first year salary is 30% of the salary cap).

"If Kevin does not exercise his option after the 2014-2015 season, he can become an unrestricted free agent and either re-sign with the Timberwolves for five years or another team for four and receive a salary which starts at 30% of the salary cap. Consequently, Kevin may end up getting more money that Russell over the same period."

As for whether Love will sign an extension before the summer of 2015, the source said, "Kevin could sign an extension prior to declining his option for the 2015-16 season. That extension would be for three years and he could not get any additional money in '15-'16 unless the Wolves were under the cap, which they won't be.

"I don't consider Kevin signing an extension a likely scenario -- see Atlanta's Josh Smith. The extension can only be for four years, including the current years of the contract. If he waits until the end of the '14-'15 season and becomes a free agent, he can re-sign with the Timberwolves for five years (likely for $100 million-plus) or another team for four years. Most players at that stage of their career are prepared to wait and sign for five, or four years."

The bolded statement is baffling to me. I see it over and over and it must be true. What I don't get is why Love would take such offense at that. In 2009, Love probably was a fourth best player on a championship team, maybe third. He has since improved his game and his physique annually and that is no longer the case. I just don't get hanging on to a statement well after all the mitigating variables have changed. Kevin needs to get over that.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#348 » by Krapinsky » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 pm

C.lupus wrote:
The bolded statement is baffling to me. I see it over and over and it must be true. What I don't get is why Love would take such offense at that. In 2009, Love probably was a fourth best player on a championship team, maybe third. He has since improved his game and his physique annually and that is no longer the case. I just don't get hanging on to a statement well after all the mitigating variables have changed. Kevin needs to get over that.

Agreed. I think at the time he said it, just about everyone in the room likely nodded in agreement. Kahn was essentially telling season ticket holders exactly what they wanted to hear -- that he knew he had a lot of work to do to bring in talent to build a contender. i don't see what the problem is here.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#349 » by Worm Guts » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:07 pm

He didn't say it, but I think the impression was that Kahn meant the best Love would ever be is the 4th best player on a championship team. And even though it was fair to agree with that at the time, it's not something your GM should say.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#350 » by cpfsf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-love021908

After Kevin’s freshman season Stan Love began expressing displeasure over the lack of playing time given to his older brother, Collin, who was a junior. He threatened to have Kevin transfer to another high school if Shoff wasn’t terminated. He also posted “Fire Shoff” stickers in the foyer of the gymnasium.

In the end, Shoff retained his job, Stan apologized and the two formed a friendship that continues today. During an interview last week, Kevin credited Shoff for much of his success.

“Stan just said, ‘Hey, I’m sorry. I was over the top,’” Shoff said. “It was over after that. I think Stan has taken some hits from it, which shouldn’t be the case. He apologized. That was enough.”

It also helped that Kevin was blessed with uncanny strength, some of which he achieved by doing finger-tip push-ups.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#351 » by Tirion » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 am

cpfsf wrote:
Tirion wrote:

yes, we've heard it all before. kahn hasn't done a single thing right in his life. if the anti christ exists, he's definitely it.

Yeah, let's not acknowledge anything I said.

Let's not make counter points (cause we don't have any).

Let's go straight to "You have a vendetta against Kahn" defense.

And that's why this is not a discussion.

Blind homerism and stubbornness.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#352 » by LordBaldric » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:24 am

MJ was still bitching about being benched in high school during his HoF speech. IIRC he even gave a ticket to the guy who beat him out so he could be there in person. :lol:
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#353 » by Vindicater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:39 am

Tirion wrote:
Yeah, let's not acknowledge anything I said.

"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#354 » by theGreatRC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 am

It's pretty annoying seeing all this Love hate, it's gotten to a point where I don't even think I can read the board anymore.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
bluethunder0005
Pro Prospect
And1: 146

Post#355 » by bluethunder0005 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:54 am

theGreatRC wrote:It's pretty annoying seeing all this Love hate, it's gotten to a point where I don't even think I can read the board anymore.

It's not that we hate Love. It's the simple fact that an article just was released where he has bitched, moaned, and complained about the state of this team. Then on top of that has gone out there and played the two worst consecutive games he's had in the past 2 seasons immediately after said article was made public.

Love isn't a Kobe, Durant, LeBron, or a Paul caliber type player where he's a allowed to complain and not back it up. Maybe his hand is bothering him, maybe he actually regrets having only the negative things posted, or maybe he's trying so hard to back up his thoughts that he's forcing everything. I'm not sure what the issue is but you don't get to say the things he's said and blast the teammates the way he did and then go out there and play the way he has. No excuse for it and he's not above being criticized for playing worse than ass.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#356 » by cpfsf » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 am

Tirion wrote:Yeah, let's not acknowledge anything I said.

Blind homerism and stubbornness? That’s interesting point of view considering that I’ve managed to criticize the GM and the team’s star player in the same thread. More specifically I agreed with another poster that getting a different GM can be beneficial. I also noted that on a few instances Love complained to refs instead of getting back on defense.

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#357 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:17 am

theGreatRC wrote:It's pretty annoying seeing all this Love hate, it's gotten to a point where I don't even think I can read the board anymore.

:(

I think most posters are generally annoyed at his continued antics and the timing of his latest "controversy."

He, in effect, questions the abilities of his teammates when calling into question whether or not the Front Office has a plan. In reality the team is 6-5 w/ him & 5-4 w/out him. Not a huge difference and we haven't had Rubio play a single minute yet. It is frustrating to hear a guy sign for over $12 million a year then whine about it basically the first month of the next season, especially when the team is much improved and looking to be better once Rubio returned. I get that he wants to win but there are better ways than to publicly throw the entire team under the bus then follow up the outburst with a 3-17 & 4-18 shooting nights while other players like Kirilenko & Pekovic, both seemingly unselfish guys, step up. Makes me appreciate guys like Duncan, Durant, Nash, Aldridge that much more.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#358 » by cpfsf » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 am

NewWolves wrote:
cpfsf wrote:i almost made a proposal for a love/ak47/shved for artest/gasol swap. i didn't think they'd fall for it.

Really? I think that's an awful trade for us. Maybe if you take out AK or Shved.

my post was a joke. it wasn't a very good one.

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#359 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:11 am

cpfsf wrote:
NewWolves wrote:
cpfsf wrote:i almost made a proposal for a love/ak47/shved for artest/gasol swap. i didn't think they'd fall for it.

Really? I think that's an awful trade for us. Maybe if you take out AK or Shved.

my post was a joke. it wasn't a very good one.

:lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#360 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm

From reading Woj's posts, I think he's been unprofessional, regardless of how you feel about Kahn's tenure here.

I don't think the two points have to be mutually exclusive.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves