ImageImageImageImage

OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#41 » by tiderulz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.

my problems with SVG.

Why is it that with almost all other coaches in the league, it didnt take them over a year for players to learn defensive schemes. But for Stan, that always seemed to be the excuse.

And why could not Stan see that a 3pt outside in offense had issues come playoffs. I understand that you have to work with the players you have, but there could have been some adjustments.

Things might have been better with Stan had we had a competent GM, but that is all in the past now.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#42 » by MoMM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Javanar wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
magic04life wrote:I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

That would make me sick. Bullies his way out of Orlando to his 2nd destination of choice and then somehow ends up at his top choice... Not to mention he and the Nets would be waiting for us if we ever made it back to the playoffs. If he leaves, I hope it's to another western conf team like Dallas

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.

I think it was the other way around... Shaq said Bynum/Lopez are the better offensive players because they actually have a consistent post game. No way he'd call them better overall centers because they can't score 20 and play defense like Dwight.

Not sure that will be easy for Brooklyn to get Howard. They're already paying 89 M for salaries, and there are 4 loaded long-term contracts.

Dallas (with CP3) or Atlanta (with Josh) are my bets.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#43 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

To me, Dwight was rushed back for the Lakers so called championship run. Remember the doctors and Dwight himself stated in the summer that it would be January when he would've been clear to play. Not 100% convinced he may have gained some of that athleticism back just yet. I understand this season is still early, but I can see Dwight moving on from the Lakers if this debacle continues. Along with other issues like D'Antoni system don't match the players on the squad. No defense. No facilitator in Nash to keep pressure off Kobe.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#44 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Well, if it is true that the Media and fans are babying Dwight to not alienate him, then Dwight is going to learn that he has no friends or true fans over in L.A. Just all fake people propping him up on a pedestal. He will never be loved. At least he had fans that adored him in Orlando. He wouldn't get that in New York either, but maybe Dallas.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#45 » by Hilltop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Threads like these are premature. We've had many of these about the Heat and we all know how that turned out. The Lakers have the talent and the firepower to win a championship. They just need Nash back, a new coach, and a little more time to find their chemistry.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#46 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Hilltop wrote:Threads like these are premature. We've had many of these about the Heat and we all know how that turned out. The Lakers have the talent and the firepower to win a championship. They just need Nash back, a new coach, and a little more time to find their chemistry.

That is why I said I know it is early, but.

Also the Heat were a different beast. They weren't old, slow and sucked on defense. The Lakers have major issues from the coaching style, to age, to injuries and the list goes on and on. Not to mention they are in a tough west conference that I'm sure is all smiles right now watching this ship take on water with every passing loss that comes their way.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#47 » by arsenal6106 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

Hilltop wrote:Threads like these are premature. We've had many of these about the Heat and we all know how that turned out. The Lakers have the talent and the firepower to win a championship. They just need Nash back, a new coach, and a little more time to find their chemistry.

They're not getting a new coach. Unless they want to have 3 different coaches on their payroll.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
magic04life
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Post#48 » by magic04life » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Stan Van pushed Dwight. Even though they weren't friends off the court, he always got the most out of Dwight and the whole team.

Which is what a good coach does. Stan was a legend.
I like this team
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#49 » by NickAnderson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:40 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.

my problems with SVG.

Why is it that with almost all other coaches in the league, it didnt take them over a year for players to learn defensive schemes. But for Stan, that always seemed to be the excuse.

And why could not Stan see that a 3pt outside in offense had issues come playoffs. I understand that you have to work with the players you have, but there could have been some adjustments.

Things might have been better with Stan had we had a competent GM, but that is all in the past now.

Bravo!

I've always asked these questions and more about stan and never get a straight answer. It was always Stan is the best coach in magic history..
PickNRoll
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#50 » by PickNRoll » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:32 am

tiderulz wrote:

my problems with SVG.

I also have to believe that Otis got Stan's input on the roster moves. I would be floored to hear that SVG didn't sign off on the moves made with his squad.

Loved SVG the person, but as a coach he frustrated the bejeez out of me. Lack of adjustments, rigid rotation, giving everyone a green light to shoot bad threes, leaving Howrd in when you know they're going to hack him... Frankly, it was an ugly style of BBall that is always going to lead to a decent reg season record and a trip to the playoffs that lasts as long as we can stay hot from downtown. It's the Gonzaga offense.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#51 » by CourtsideTV » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 am

The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

"I know," said Howard when asked if he knows which team he will play with next season.

Howard was also asked whether he and Kobe Bryant can coexist.

"Why can't we coexist?" Howard asked. "Because we're opposites? I thought opposites attract.

"You know why we can play well together? Kobe knows how hard I work and that I'm all about championships. We're also entertainers, and for the two hours and 20 minutes that people come to a game they want to be entertained."

LOLL so he's about entertainment and not SOLELY about championships..thats the mentality of a championship player right durr
Work Hard
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#52 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 am

he made his bed with jim buss, LOL now he has to live in it.
someone shoulda told dwight Jimmy hates Phil, that alone shows you he's clueless
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#53 » by Malik Starks » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:To give Stan credit, he took players like Vince, Shard and JRich, then made them change their roles to where they took much less shots to be team players and those players never complained about their reduced roles. Actually, players were actually fairly well behaved under Stan as he commanded respect. And, he led this team for many 50+ win seasons and at one point had like the 3rd best NBA record in a five year span. He accomplished all that with a team of Turk, Shard, various SG's and Meer. Really, just Shard and Meer reached all-star level one time during that span. Just a group of role players. And, reached the Finals of which everyone understands how freakin hard that is to accomplish and he did it with that team. Magic should just hang Stans ugly mug in the rafters. Heck, he still lives here in Lake Mary and is active in his community. I like Jacque Vaughn so far, but Stan is a legend.

I still hope for Stan to be brought back to coach the team one day, much like Brian Hill.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#54 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I would just like to shake Stans hand and tell him thanks for all he did for the Orlando Magic in person. Nice and simple, then be on my way. Maybe, I will run into him at Fishbones or something.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
juxsta
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#55 » by juxsta » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

"I know," said Howard when asked if he knows which team he will play with next season.

LOLL so he's about entertainment and not SOLELY about championships..thats the mentality of a championship player right durr

Remember the last time he said "I KNOW"? So I can't ever take anything this dude says serious.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOE7qrNLn_Q[/youtube]
SnuggLes__
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#56 » by SnuggLes__ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 am

Stan Van Gundy always annoyed me with his rotations, stubbornness, and simple 3 point offense, but the man hung his hat on building teams solidly defensively. His strengths always outweighed his weaknesses.

And to coach your team to 4 straight years of 50+ wins 2 conference championships & a finals appearance is more than just average..

But in the end, all that matters are Championships, & he got us about 0.

I respect him as a good coach.
GANGSTERDOG wrote:The chemistry was the best Ive seen in a while surprisingly. Everyone was out there trying to prove something.... well maybe except Duhon
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#57 » by arsenal6106 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:53 am

SnuggLes__ wrote:Stan Van Gundy always annoyed me with his rotations, stubbornness, and simple 3 point offense, but the man hung his hat on building teams solidly defensively. His strengths always outweighed his weaknesses.

And to coach your team to 4 straight years of 50+ wins 2 conference championships & a finals appearance is more than just average..

But in the end, all that matters are Championships, & he got us about 0.

I respect him as a good coach.

SVG was successful here because of Dwight.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#58 » by T-Cat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:50 pm

juxsta wrote:
CourtsideTV wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

Remember the last time he said "I KNOW"? So I can't ever take anything this dude says serious.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOE7qrNLn_Q[/youtube]

My guess is that Rob will AT LEAST try one more time to make a pitch for Dwight to sign with the Magic! Remember he tried so hard to get him to re-sign her, but unless Dwight got more help he wanted to be traded.

But now I think Dwight realizes now that what he wanted in LA, can be so hard to ultimately get...a championship!

Dwight new team next year will preach defense and effort on both sides of the court as well good round personnel...I think Orlando fits the bill :wink:

Btw, Dwight keeps talking about how much he's moved on from Orlando...but why does he keep mentioning in the media how he handled Orlando situation so poorly and wanted to put the Magic on the map? That's love
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#59 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:22 pm

arsenal6106 wrote:
SVG was successful here because of Dwight.

Magic with Dwight and Meer/Shard/Hedo/SG would still end up with a better record than the Lakers with Dwight and Kobe/MWP/Gasol/PG. Unless, Phil was the coach and taught Dwight Zen!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,491

Post#60 » by Bergmaniac » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:49 am

This is way premature, Howard is still nowhere near 100% fit IMO. Things will probably change in a month or two when he's back in top shape physically. Unless the back injury has really affected his long term athleticism, who knows...

Return to Orlando Magic