ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you do Pau for Amare right now?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Re: Would you do Pau for Amare right now? 

Post#21 » by Leaguepass » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I might be in the minority but I'd definitely turn it down. It doesn't even have a whole lot to do with Pau. I personally believe Gasol is still a very good player and will regain his form but IMO the minor improvement he'd bring in rebounding and passing aren't really worth doing another big trade.

These guys are all on the same page, have great chemistry, great camaraderie....as long as a trade isn't gonna bring some substantial improvement I wouldn't mess with what we have at all.

Like someone pointed out....we have good spacing with Brewer out there and a healthy Stat is much better from midrange. I think most issues are in people's heads....We have to finally realize that we have 3 guys that make good and quick passes....that have no ego and keep the team running. There is no doubt in my mind that Woodson and our 3 PGs are gonna make Stat fit in nicely.

Last year we had Douglas and Bibby running the point mostly (and Douglas couldn't hit an outside shot to save his life)and D'Antoni asked Melo to play some point forward...essentially it didn't work out and everybody panicked and nothing worked. This year the personel and is completely different. I'm still absolutely reluctant to believe that two players with the abilities of an Anthony and Stoudemire can't play on the same team. It would be absolutely mind boggling. Are there better fits out there?Probably but this duo can still get the job done. I want to see this bunch of guys succeed. And frankly, Stat has been working his ass off the past 2 years to fit in, to be in shape,to make this thing work. I desperately want to see him succeed. I like our guys so much I want everybody on this team be part of this ride, especially the guy that made the very first step to bringing this franchise back.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,056

Post#22 » by RHODEY » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 pm

kakaman wrote:Image

Man you can see Nash and Amare still love each other. You think this would be a win win for each team? Pau is pretty bad defensively, but he's not as bad as Amare. Also, Pau is used to the low post and would thrive being the #2 scoring option. His talents are being wasted in LA, whereas Amare has that midrange shot that D'Antoni wants. I think it would be the best for both teams.

That's nice that they love each other , really beautiful but....Nash spurned us for the Lakers and probably would have picked Toronto outside of that.

Why are we looking to help out the Lakers?

We trade a player that gives you 18 and 8 @ a 48% clip in his worst year for a guy who gives you 12 and 8 @ a 42% clip in his worst year. Both were/are hurt ok. But Gasol is 2 years older and certainly looks it.

Gasol's assists and (arguably) slightly better defense make up for all that?

After watching the geriactric Lakers last night why would anyone want to take on some of that age?

We are the #1 team in the East.

They will be struggling to make the playoffs..

gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,189

Post#23 » by gavran » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:50 pm

kakaman wrote:
Sark wrote:No other team in the NBA wants Pau. He's pretty much done.
Why should we take him off the Lakers hands?

Cuz no team wants Stat either. We are talking about fit right now, both players are at about the same level.

Well, you don't know if Pau is the better fit, considering he played 0 minutes with these Knicks. Amar'e at least had practises.
NYKFANest1995
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#24 » by NYKFANest1995 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I want to give Amare a chance, i still believe he can be a good player, maybe he has slowed down a little but he stays in great shape and really does care about winning. I want to see how he plays with this team. I want to see how he looks with felton and Kidd in this offense he has a center in sheed that can help stretch the floor for him. He can still hit the mid-range jumper on the elbow. Like someone said either defense will be the problem i'm not worried about the offense.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#25 » by Sark » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:01 pm

gavran wrote:
kakaman wrote:
Sark wrote:No other team in the NBA wants Pau. He's pretty much done.
Why should we take him off the Lakers hands?

Cuz no team wants Stat either. We are talking about fit right now, both players are at about the same level.

Well, you don't know if Pau is the better fit, considering he played 0 minutes with these Knicks. Amar'e at least had practises.

Amar'e and Melo were great together last year under Woodson. I'll take that over a "maybe Gasol is a better fit, but we just don't know".
omerome
RealGM
And1: 7,695

Post#26 » by omerome » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:07 pm

I just don't see how Amar'e will make us worse at all. He gives us another dimension we're lacking.

As good of a contribution that Rasheed has been, he is still slow and shoots way too many three point shots.

Amar'e will be closer to the basket and I don't see how he can play horrible when he has several PGs and players who can get him the ball where he likes. If Chandler is out, he is the best pick and roll big man on our team by far. He can't be worse offensively than Rasheed, Camby, or Kurt Thomas.

As for Pau, I have no idea what he can give us. He is not the same player he used to be. Why take a chance at messing with our chemistry? Might as well see what Amar'e can do. I mean he did spend training camp with the team and has been around the players so he won't come in completely blind sided.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#27 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

Here's the Amare deal I was thinking about last night:

Amare for Cousins and Chuck Hayes' contract.

Of course its wildly unbalanced in terms of youth/ceiling, but Cousins himself is wildly unbalanced.

The Kings need some solid veteran leadership with all the young pieces they have wilding in Sleep Train Arena, and Cousins has now been suspended twice this season already for actions related to what are rumored to be legitimate mental health issues.

Kings probably say no, but I thought it was an intriguing idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,834

Post#28 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:18 pm

RHODEY wrote:
kakaman wrote:Image

Man you can see Nash and Amare still love each other. You think this would be a win win for each team? Pau is pretty bad defensively, but he's not as bad as Amare. Also, Pau is used to the low post and would thrive being the #2 scoring option. His talents are being wasted in LA, whereas Amare has that midrange shot that D'Antoni wants. I think it would be the best for both teams.

That's nice that they love each other , really beautiful but....Nash spurned us for the Lakers and probably would have picked Toronto outside of that.

We trade a player that gives you 18 and 8 @ a 48% clip in his worst year for a guy who gives you 12 and 8 @ a 42% clip in his worst year. Both were/are hurt ok. But Gasol is 2 years older and certainly looks it.

Gasol's assists and (arguably) slightly better defense make up for all that?

After watching the geriactric Lakers last night why would anyone want to take on some of that age?

We are the #1 team in the East.

They will be struggling to make the playoffs..

Here is why Knicks are crazy not to do the trade:

Should Knicks get Pau Gasol, we actually would have a low post big man. Amare has "worked on" that this summer, but we have yet to see a back to the basket game. Pau, in his older age, is now BEST USED in that low block.

All we have to do is make sure when we have Pau and Chandler on the court at the same time, we also have Felton, Kidd and Melo.

We have more shooters than LA does. Right now they have a perimeter of Duhon, Kobe, and Artest. None of them are scary shooters from 3. Kidd, Felton, JR, Melo, Novak all have them beat easy.

Heck, Chandler is even a better mid-range guy than Howard is, so we could even utilize that.

Amare is a great player, and a wonderful person who, along with Lin, restored hope to a franchise which seemed masochistic at times.

Having said that, when you have a chance to bring on the dynamic that won 2 rings over 4 years, you do it. Gasol + Kobe + team = finals. Riddle me this: Who guards Gasol from the Heat? If we go "small ball" with Gasol playing center we are at a huge advantage, rather than playing Amare who does not have the defensive impact we need from a center.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#29 » by Sark » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 pm

ITT: people still think Gasol has something left in the tank. :roll:
knicksnation1
Senior
And1: 10

Post#30 » by knicksnation1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Gasol is a better fit next to Tyson and Melo. We're gonna give the Heat A LOT OF trouble by adding him and the Lakers are not a true champ contender, from what I see,without Gasol. I'm not worried if Amare's beasting on the offensive end or not once he's returned, at the end of the day it's all about the Knicks winning bball games as a team.
But if that means we have to lose Shump or Novak in the trade that's a BIG HELL NO. I dont want to see the Knicks getting robbed by the Lakers.
kakaman
Banned User
And1: 665

Post#31 » by kakaman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:00 pm

knicksnation1 wrote:Gasol is a better fit next to Tyson and Melo. We're gonna give the Heat A LOT OF trouble by adding him and the Lakers are not a true champ contender, from what I see,without Gasol. I'm not worried if Amare's beasting on the offensive end or not once he's returned, at the end of the day it's all about the Knicks winning bball games as a team.
But if that means we have to lose Shump or Novak in the trade that's a BIG HELL NO. I dont want to see the Knicks getting robbed by the Lakers.

Knicks wouldn't get fleeced, if anything Lakers would be the ones giving up assets. Knicks are doing fine right now, it's the Lakers that are in big trouble.
DRoberstonNYY
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#32 » by DRoberstonNYY » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:12 pm

Sark wrote:ITT: people still think Gasol has something left in the tank. :roll:

its fine to think that, but to say that and praise amare who's been putrid for a year.. is just ridiculous.

this the problem with amare, the fanbase and the players make excuses for him. he needs to put up, shut up, and sacrifice for the team. that means play one iota of defense and don't be an absolute embarassment on that end.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#33 » by moocow007 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
blackbishop wrote:Amare is kinda the reason the knicks are turning it around. He made the knicks a desirable place to play and he deserves a chance to be part of it.

People seem to forget that after february, he was close to his old self. He was shooting something like 56% the last two months of the season and when he and melo and chandler played under woodson, they were like 9-2. Yeah, he got hurt in preseason but he has worked hard and from all reports looks pretty good.

I would rather go with the devil we know then the one we do not know.

There is a possible distinction between him putting up good offensive numbers and the team being better as a whole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

That applies to everyone...Gasol as well...with possible bad knees and small man parts. So it's kinda pointless to bring up.
suicidedeuce
And1: 0

Post#34 » by suicidedeuce » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm

DRoberstonNYY wrote:its fine to think that, but to say that and praise amare who's been putrid for a year.. is just ridiculous.

this the problem with amare, the fanbase and the players make excuses for him.

I have no particular love for Stoudemire, but you're being hyperbolic.

He played well most of March. In fact, statistically speaking, he had arguably his best all-around month as a Knick. His .563 shooting % was his Knick high water mark (by a good margin, btw), as was his 12.2 (per 48) rebound rate.

His TOs (per 48) were a Knick monthly low of 2.4 (he was generally in the 4's his first year).

His assist rate was down, as was his blocks and steals, which may speak to his defense, but again, statistically speaking, overall he was as good in scoring, rebounding, protecting the ball and going to the line his last full month as a Knick as he'd ever been as a Knick.

Doesn't excuse the RELATIVELY poor play prior to that, but when you factor in the back issue, the lock-out, the well documented personal issues, that he ended strong (as strongly as ever) does offer good reason to consider he may not be "putrid" this year, if healthy.
blackbishop
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#35 » by blackbishop » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
blackbishop wrote:Amare is kinda the reason the knicks are turning it around. He made the knicks a desirable place to play and he deserves a chance to be part of it.

People seem to forget that after february, he was close to his old self. He was shooting something like 56% the last two months of the season and when he and melo and chandler played under woodson, they were like 9-2. Yeah, he got hurt in preseason but he has worked hard and from all reports looks pretty good.

I would rather go with the devil we know then the one we do not know.

There is a possible distinction between him putting up good offensive numbers and the team being better as a whole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

As I also pointed out, the knicks with amare, melo and chandler were 9-2 under woodson. Everything else was under dantoni and as he is showing in LA, maybe the problem was his coaching and not the players.

At this point, though Pau might or might not be the better fit in NY, amare is HERE and he got this turnaround started by playing the way he was playing to start 2010. If the knicks sucked when he got here, melo would be a net. For that alone, I want amare to prove people wrong and his one game in preseason has me thinking he can definitely help by:

1) being another inside player whether facing up or trying to post. Shoot woodson had him starting closer to the basket last year and it helped alot. Even with one post move or none, being closer to the basket means less offensive fouls since it will be harder for the help to make it in time.

2) it looked like his midrange shot was much better, he was shooting it effortlessly and wasnt aiming the shot.

3) he was at least trying on defense with woodson and that is all it pretty much takes, look at novak.
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#36 » by blumatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 pm

I dont understand the hostility towards Amare. I think people are still frustrated with that incident in Miami. Its similar to those bashing the Knicks this summer for talking championship and responding like little girls by saying "Win a playiff series first."

STATs best game was game 1 2011 in Boston. Game 2 he hurt his back took 6 months off from basketball and went right into the NBA season with no training cam and a condensed schedule. It took him until March to get back and he was getting better. During that 18-6 run he was part of 8 wins and two losses.

Lets not TKF Amare now. You will only look foolish.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#37 » by R-DAWG » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes. Would eat duhons deal in exchange of them taking on the extra year of amare. He's a better fit with this years team and is more valuable as an expiring contract in the offseason. And amare is a better fit with the lakers.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,434

Post#38 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:55 pm

I wanna see what a healthy Amare looks like first...I also wanna know what's going on with Pau bc he looked really weak and I don't want to dump Amare for a half assed Pau...I think Amare still has something left in the tank.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#39 » by seren » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Of course, I would. Shouldn't even be a discussion.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#40 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 pm

D'oh. Gasol has one year less on his contract and is a better player than Amare.

Return to New York Knicks