ImageImageImageImageImage

Embry speaks to MLSE board, "weighing options" (Pg. 8)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Re: MLSE Board Meets, Raps vets back Casey 

Post#101 » by YoungD23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm

LeBronNextMJ wrote:
FirstInkTDot wrote:MLSE is filled with a bunch of idiotic Hockey Heads, half of them don't even give a **** about the Raptors, they just want to see NHL hockey, Why don't they change the damn Name, there's 2 other teams besides the Maple Leafs you know! They wouldn't even care if the Raptors won a NBA title.

Rebirth of the Huskies please :)

Rebirth of Huskies.., does that mean new owners too? I can't emphasize how much I HATE MLSE. Having a company own this franchise is the worse thing to happen to it. All they care about is their income and zero effort to go out and spend money. When you have a single owner, it's a lot of different IMO. They have pride, and they have expectations from friends & family. So there's always going to be that willingness to put that time and effort in. Until we are no longer owned by MLSE, I barely see us going that far.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#102 » by KnickerBonkerz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

The fact that ownership has to hold a meeting to "get up to speed" on the team just tells you that none of them watch basketball.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst

Post#103 » by KnickerBonkerz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

YoungD23 wrote:
LeBronNextMJ wrote:
FirstInkTDot wrote:MLSE is filled with a bunch of idiotic Hockey Heads, half of them don't even give a **** about the Raptors, they just want to see NHL hockey, Why don't they change the damn Name, there's 2 other teams besides the Maple Leafs you know! They wouldn't even care if the Raptors won a NBA title.

Rebirth of the Huskies please :)

Rebirth of Huskies.., does that mean new owners too? I can't emphasize how much I HATE MLSE. Having a company own this franchise is the worse thing to happen to it. All they care about is their income and zero effort to go out and spend money. When you have a single owner, it's a lot of different IMO. They have pride, and they have expectations from friends & family. So there's always going to be that willingness to put that time and effort in. Until we are no longer owned by MLSE, I barely see us going that far.

This is where your argument falls apart... in the NBA you can't get a winning team just by spending money.. it's not Baseball. This team HAS spent money, in fact they're right at the cap with that Fields signing so don't tell me they're not allowing Colangelo to spend money. That's not what this team needs to do to get on the right track...
YoungD23
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#104 » by YoungD23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:59 pm

This is where your argument falls apart... in the NBA you can't get a winning team just by spending money.. it's not Baseball. This team HAS spent money, in fact they're right at the cap with that Fields signing so don't tell me they're not allowing Colangelo to spend money. That's not what this team needs to do to get on the right track...

You're right, and I wasn't saying its ALL about spending money. There's a lot more to it than spending money of course. Like, if you look at the Nets' roster - Deron, Johnson, Wallace, Lopez & Humphries, accumulating big contracts but I don't see them going further than maybe second round. My point is that, the dedication of a single owner owning the team is not comparable to when a company owns one. In this case, MLSE, owns several professional teams, but they can care less about the Raptors because the money is coming in regardless. Whereas, an individual owner would have more expectations from those who he/she know personally. They will have one main focus of improving the team and being more engaged. There will be more involvement and pride to keep the team competing.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#105 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
As Raptors struggle, Bryan Colangelo summoned his senior advisor, Wayne Embry, to Toronto this week to meet with ownership, sources say.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
The meeting involving Embry and the board went well, according to a league source briefed on it. But 4-19 Raptors evaluating options.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#106 » by Zeno » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
As Raptors struggle, Bryan Colangelo summoned his senior advisor, Wayne Embry, to Toronto this week to meet with ownership, sources say.

So am I reading too much into this or is Embry going to need to endorse BC's moves from now on?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#107 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Went well for whom? We're still upset, right?
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm

The two tweets I posted before, plus response from a local guy:

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
The meeting involving Embry and the board went well, according to a league source briefed on it. But 4-19 Raptors evaluating options.

Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen
To less urgent matters: The two things @KBergCBS tweeted are approximately what I've heard. Ownership's mindset is the big unknown.

Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen
Nobody has seen how the new MLSE works in such a crisis situation. Anybody who says they know is making a mighty leap.

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Trade scenarios involving Andrea Bargnani and/or Jose Calderon are on hold with Bargnani and starting PG Kyle Lowry injured, source said.
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#109 » by Big Shot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Somehow I got a feeling BC wanted to hide behind Embry's back.
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst

Re: Embry speaks to MLSE board, "weighing options" (Pg. 8) 

Post#110 » by KnickerBonkerz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm

^You have to admit, it does make a good hiding spot
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#111 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen
To less urgent matters: The two things @KBergCBS tweeted are approximately what I've heard. Ownership's mindset is the big unknown.

Not sure what kind of owner it is, doesn't seem to care about their businesses.
Ticket price are discounted, perhaps they don't want to make profit in the future?
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Buzz in league circles had Embry summoned by ownership, meaning trouble for Colangelo. But Colangelo sought Embry's counsel, sources said.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#113 » by wtcantfw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Indeed wrote:
Rhettmatic wrote:
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen

Ticket price are discounted, perhaps they don't want to make profit in the future?

I'm sorry, but you have the most confusing posts. Is there even a point you're trying to make?
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#114 » by Big Shot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Buzz in league circles had Embry summoned by ownership, meaning trouble for Colangelo. But Colangelo sought Embry's counsel, sources said.

At least BC was smart enough to jump ahead of the ownership.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#115 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Embry won't sell out the Colangelos. He probably went to bat for him. They're burying Bargs to buy them some time on the trade market.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#116 » by Indeed » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm

tarheel06 wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen

I'm sorry, but you have the most confusing posts. Is there even a point you're trying to make?

Since I thought good leaders will indicate the business direction. The "Ownership's mindset is the big unknown" seems to be that they either have no leadership to provide direction, or simply has no direction. If they care about their business, they should have some discussions already.

I mean if I bought something and care about it, I wouldn't throw it aside and just let it lost its value. Maybe it is just me.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#117 » by Zeno » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

So Embry is now in charge of advising both BC and the board on BC. If Embry did go to bat for BC than how long before the fireEmbry.com site appears.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,051

Post#118 » by carlosey » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Embry wont put Collangelo in a bad spot, he was the hookup that brought him in. Then again, he was the guy that gave the go ahead to fire Babcock too. I say the outcome of the meeting is that this rebuilding crap is not for a town like toronto and they are going to go competitive with vets.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:25 pm

carlosey wrote:Embry wont put Collangelo in a bad spot, he was the hookup that brought him in. Then again, he was the guy that gave the go ahead to fire Babcock too. I say the outcome of the meeting is that this rebuilding crap is not for a town like toronto and they are going to go competitive with vets.

They were rebuilding?
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#120 » by dacrusha » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm

The last time Embry was summoned to oversee a roster re-shuffling, he dumped Jalen Roses's $15 million salary on the Knicks.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan

Return to Toronto Raptors