48%

Total votes: 64

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: OT | Hall of Fame Players? (Poll) 

Post#21 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:11 am

A couple things I remember about Grant Hill. During that NCAA tournament game I recall watching him basically shut down Glenn Robinson. And it stuck with me and bothered me when we drafted Glenn. As a fan I totally supported the Robinson pick and he was consensus #1. But you always had that aching pit in your stomach when you think back to what HIll did him. Hill was just a lot better all around player and while Glenn was a very good player for us, we missed the boat on Hill.

The other thing I remember is that I was working in Detroit the day it was official and Hill told Dumars he wasn't going to re-sign with the Pistons and that the sign and trade needed to go into effect. People in that city and sports radio thought the world had ended. It would be the equivalent of if Aaron Rodgers after this year said he's out of GB and done with the Packers after six awesome seasons.

And yet amazingly, two season later the Pistons rise from the ashes and assemble a team that makes two Finals and wins a title while Hill can't take the floor for a full season for years. No one could have ever predicted that.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
linguini8
Junior
And1: 47

Post#22 » by linguini8 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 am

Iverson for sure, Hill most likely will get in.

Carter has the next best chance, shouldn't make it though.
T-Mac had it not been for the injuries would be an easy yes, sadly no.
Wallace? no way..
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#23 » by humanrefutation » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 am

Iverson: Absolutely.

Everybody else: Nope.
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#24 » by -Kees- » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:30 am

For me, AI is a lock in, Sheed is a lock out, Id accept anything for the others. I voted for AI, Tmac and Hill though.

AI just did too much to not be in. Leading a team single handedly to the Finals, winning MVP (which he shouldn't have), and being a huge icon in a transfer of style in the NBA.

I also think Tmac gets in. His prime was far and away the best of all these players, he played at such a high level.

Hill also gets in, for a number of reasons. First is is college success. Next is his very respectable prime, in which he literally did everything on the floor. Third, is he still is/was a valuable role player into his late 30s, something only few do, and even less who have had a major injury.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#25 » by InsideOut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:17 pm

What is more important to the HOF? Is it how good you were at your peak or how long you were in the league? In other words, who was the better player...guy A that averaged 25/9/7 for 6 seasons or guy B that averages 22/4/4 for 12 seasons? No doubt guy A was the better player but did guy B have the better career? So which is more important to getting into the HOF? I guess both is the answer but is it a 50/50 combo or more a 20/80 or 80/20 combo?

No doubt in my mind Hill was a better player than Iverson yet Iverson is viewed here as a lock for the HOF while Hill is getting a lot less votes. My guess is a big part of this is the average age of the posters.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#26 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm

In math and logic there's a technique called "reductio ad absurdum", which is Latin for reduction to absurdity. In order to assess the merits of a fact, you assume it's true and make logical deductions. If the assumption that it's true logically leads to a conclusion that leaves you shaking your head, then you must question the assumption.

In this case, if we assume that longevity should be so important, we are logically led to the conclusion that Joe Dumars should be in the hall of fame while Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill are not. I would argue that this is absurd. McGrady was a top-5 player in the league for years, and probably the best for a few. Hill never cracked #1, but was clearly top-10 from almost the time he was drafted in 1994 until 2000. To say nothing of his college record. Was Dumars ever a top-20 player in the league at any point?

If you're not going to let elite players in because of their lack of longevity, then I would argue that you have to stop letting non-elite players in despite their longevity.

I'd also argue that it's the Hall of "Fame", which on some level just involves being famous for being really good at basketball or for otherwise making significant contributions to the game. I'm down to leave out guys like Rasheed for underachieving their entire careers, but not Carter or T-Mac and especially not Hill.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#27 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 pm

I can't do Vince Carter. He's a long line of interesting chuckers that I never felt was a top 5 player at any point.

T-Mac I'm not sure on. He was a clear cut top 5 guy for a few years there. But I didn't realize he's never won a playoff series.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#28 » by upnorthfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Juri Welsch and Smush Parker and dozens of others. Oh wait, those guys were just HOF'ers when playing against the Bucks. There will be more to come this season.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,747

Post#29 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Based purely on production and winning, Iverson is a tough case to make in my opinion, easily the toughest on that list.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#30 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm

upnorthfan wrote:Juri Welsch and Smush Parker and dozens of others. Oh wait, those guys were just HOF'ers when playing against the Bucks. There will be more to come this season.

B.J. Mullens
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#31 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 pm

It's a shame that the NBA equivalent of Tim Raines would be s shoo-in for the HOF yet he can't get in the Baseball one.
upnorthfan
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#32 » by upnorthfan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:Juri Welsch and Smush Parker and dozens of others. Oh wait, those guys were just HOF'ers when playing against the Bucks. There will be more to come this season.

B.J. Mullens

Keep'em comin. Robin Lopez.

As for the ones listed I say Iverson and none of the others. Iverson had a heart of a Champion.

Vince (Ihad to go to graduation the mourning of a game seven), Hill (I was injured my whole career), Rasheed (I should be in the technicle HOF at least) and Tracey (I was flashy yeah but never won) McGrady.

Iverson is in a whole nother class.
Shinyhubcaps
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#33 » by Shinyhubcaps » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 am

I say yes to Carter, Hill, and Iverson. The basketball hall of fame has less criteria than some other sports to get in. Plus those guys have great stats, like Carter's 21,000 points, Iverson's 24,000 points and 7 All-NBA (and 1 MVP), and I never knew Hill was in the top 10 in triple doubles though he hasn't had one since 1998!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks