ImageImageImageImage

3 Years From Now... (Edit: 2017 Edition)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

3 Years From Now... (Edit: 2017 Edition) 

Post#1 » by arsenal6106 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 am

I expect/want this team to be..

This is an open ended question. Submit your realistic expectations in this thread. Everything from starting line up to the kind of team you are hoping they will be in 2015. Feel free to talk about other NBA teams/players if you would like. Just have fun with it!

I'll bookmark this thread and give it a strong bump at the start of the 2015 season.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Re: 3 Years From Now... 

Post#2 » by NickAnderson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 am

I expect/want this team to be.. OKC
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#3 » by silent1900 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:03 am

3 years from now, I want this team to...

...be in the top 5 for FG%, Rebounding, and Assist/TO ratio.
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#4 » by sportsrock37 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:33 am

...not in the lottery.
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#5 » by Reverse_Angle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:34 am

NickAnderson wrote:I expect/want this team to be.. OKC

Spurs work better. OKC has not won **** yet. ;)

I want this team to be part of a winning organization with values and basketball culture, the rest would just follow.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,696

Post#6 » by Viper1500 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:54 am

Two top 5 draft picks over the next 2 years, and a couple max free agents. Trade whatever assets are redundant for solid role players.
sublime12089
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#7 » by sublime12089 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 am

I expect this team to be a low playoff seed(6-8) in the East.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#8 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I want this team to have held onto all of its veterans, including Davis and Nelson, to have re-signed Redick to at least $7,500,000 a year, and to have drafted in the 10-12 range for three consecutive seasons. I want for it to have picked up some halfway decent mid-round rookies, but for them to be stuck behind longtime fan-favorite veterans in the depth chart. In three years, Nelson/Redick should be playing at least 30 minutes per game together, because they're both Magic4Lifers. We'll win some, we'll lose some, but most importantly we'll still have familiar faces playing heavy minutes to remind us of when we were actually in competition for something.

Let me try again.

I want for this team to hold onto a few of its veterans (perhaps the captains), and to trade the rest for whatever we can get. I love JJ Redick, but I want for us to trade him for a solid young player or as good of a draft pick as we can get, and in the unforeseeable event that no one wants him at the deadline, I want for us to let him walk for absolutely nothing as a free agent to open minutes for the development of youth that can help propel us back to the top. I want for us to try really, really hard, and thus build character, but still to lose as many games as we possibly can. The most recent 96-90 Atlanta loss was a perfect result in my book, and I'd be alright with 50 more of them before the season ends.

In three years, I want for us to have acquired Top-5 picks in each of the next three drafts, to have opened some money up for potential free agent acquisitions, to have grown even younger than we are now, and to have developed some character and fight along the way. If we can make the playoffs in three years as a collection of blossoming top picks, at least two of which have legitimate star potential, the rebuild will have been a success.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,568

Post#9 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 pm

It would be nice to see Meer and Reddick retire as Magicians to show what Loyalty is all about. And, the Magic to have a better record over the years than the Lakers or go deeper in the playoffs than the Lakers.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#10 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:It would be nice to see Meer and Reddick retire as Magicians to show what Loyalty is all about. And, the Magic to have a better record over the years than the Lakers or go deeper in the playoffs than the Lakers.

I like our guys, and I hope that when we part, it is on amicable terms. I also like rewarding loyalty, so long as we do it in an intelligent way. Bringing Nelson back at the contract we did was loyal, and as it turns out, even smart. Bringing Redick back at a similar contract may be less so. I don't want to denigrate loyalty in the least, because it has a huge intangible effect on how teams are perceived by players and fans alike. Still, loyalty caused us to re-sign Bo Outlaw over Ben Wallace (only to trade Bo and the pick that became Amare for Jud Beuchler's expiring the following year). It caused us to decide against using the amnesty provision on Grant Hill, even though his contract was much more burdensome than Doug Christie's was. Just have to be careful.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,107

Post#11 » by Def Swami » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:25 pm

contending.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 97

Post#12 » by otownflava21 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:28 pm

This is what i expect to see in three years...

The team as constructed right now has a terrific group nucleus mix of rookies and young players with potential. The few veterans who are scattered across the roster, are only being used to help keep the team somewhat significant. These veterans (some of which who truly are young veterans with Davis, Afflalo, Nelson, and Redick), have the possibilities of either staying with the team as bench roleplayers in the future, being traded soon to a contender, or staying with us until they opt out as a Free Agent.

The young players, in my opinion, will stick with us and develop through these next 3 years. I see plenty of potential in who we have right now, jugding by the season thus far. This is where I see our lineups 3 years down the line. All we need is to somehow find a dominant, near franchise-calibre shooting guard to take over when Afflalo leaves. Hopefully we find this player either through free agency or the draft. He must be young enough to be a few years before his prime.

Starting lineup:

Moore
<All-Star calibre young Shooting Guard>
Harkless
Nicholson
Vucevic

Bench lineup(of impact):

D. Jones
O'Quinn
Nelson
Redick
<Tall, Athletic Power Foward who can gaurd taller Power Fowards>
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#13 » by MagicTownBaller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:20 pm

I hope that we are winning between 45-50 games in three years. If you said five years, I would've said contending for a title.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#14 » by Flannerz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 pm

If our youngsters come on well, we draft well and can get a good free agent we will definitely be up there
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,070

Post#15 » by thelead » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 pm

I hope for...

~45 win team that looks something like this:

PG: Kasey Hill (or a stud free agent if we land Wiggins or Parker; maybe a guy like John Wall)
SG: Ben McLemore
SF: Wiggins or Parker (or a stud free agent if we land Kasey Hill instead)
PF: Nicholson
C: Derrick Favors (Not a true center but a great player that can play center in today's NBA)

Bench:
Vucevic
JJ (doubtful)
Moore
Jameer (on a good contract)
Other good bench players from trading Afflalo & BBD
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#16 » by Last Guardian » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:07 am

Be an intelligent team on both ends. Basically, like the Spurs.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,801

Post#17 » by eyriq » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 am

Good question. I suspect that our youngsters minus Moore and Jones will be with us, and I honestly think they'll all be impact players. I'm not sure I see any of our current veterans still with the team, unless we resign Nelson and Afflalo uses his option (and we haven't traded him). I do expect that Hennigan will have landed us two all stars by this point and that we'll be perennial dark horses as our current crop of rookies start their second contracts. I would love it if we have found a franchise player by this point.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,065

Post#18 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 am

thelead wrote:I hope for...

PG: Kasey Hill (or a stud free agent if we land Wiggins or Parker; maybe a guy like John Wall)
C: Derrick Favors (Not a true center but a great player that can play center in today's NBA)

Bench:
Vucevic
JJ (doubtful)
Moore

Yea and i want a three-some with Megan Fox and Jessica Alba and that is prolly more likely than us gettin that team above but i guess we can hope
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,070

Post#19 » by thelead » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:47 am

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
thelead wrote:I hope for...

Bench:
Vucevic
JJ (doubtful)
Moore

Yea and i want a three-some with Megan Fox and Jessica Alba and that is prolly more likely than us gettin that team above but i guess we can hope

Well, it's not going to happen if we field a competitive team next year. We should have the cap space in 2015 to sign two max guys and Favors and Wall are the kind of guys that I would imagine would love to team up and lead an up and coming team. So really, I'm just saying:

PG: Max Free Agent
SG: this years lottery pick
SF: next years lottery pick
C: Max Free Agent

Doesn't seem too unrealistic if Henny stops giving players like Jameer $9 mil per year deals. This should be the "plan" anyway. Plus, I did say "hope for".
JasonBlanchard
Pro Prospect
And1: 218

Post#20 » by JasonBlanchard » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:12 am

I expect to be grooming a superstar for another team to take from us for nothing :D

Return to Orlando Magic