ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter interview

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: Vince Carter interview 

Post#21 » by J-Roc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 am

Guy Smiley wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
KnickerBonkerz wrote:PS I don't know why people think he requested specifically to go to New Jersey... he didn't. He a requested a trade period. He didn't do what Dwight and Melo did where they limited their teams' options for who to do a deal with.

He wanted to leave to play for another team. He was supposed to be the leader of our team and he was under contract.

Babcock wouldn't have had to trade him if he didn't demand a trade.

Actually the organization was moving in a different direction. After GG got fired they were looking to move away from VC as the franchise player.

Please. VC wanted Dr. J and wasn't happy ownership didn't abide. Is that what defines going in a different direction?? Not hiring a GM requested by a player? Nah, VC destroyed his legacy here. Hope he got to experience the greener grass on the other side.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,527

Post#22 » by C_Money » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 am

I want him back so bad just to make this team somewhat relevant again. We've been a total mess ever since he's been gone. He may not be the same player he used to be but he is still a big name guy who was suppossed to be the face of this franchise for many years.

Bring him back and then retire his jersey.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,160

Post#23 » by Tofubeque » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 am

I don't get the hate for VC booing here. It's the most established tradition this franchise has. It makes it into video games :lol:
props Turbozone
Guy Smiley
RealGM
And1: 491

Post#24 » by Guy Smiley » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 am

J-Roc wrote:
Guy Smiley wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
He wanted to leave to play for another team. He was supposed to be the leader of our team and he was under contract.

Babcock wouldn't have had to trade him if he didn't demand a trade.

Actually the organization was moving in a different direction. After GG got fired they were looking to move away from VC as the franchise player.

Please. VC wanted Dr. J and wasn't happy ownership didn't abide. Is that what defines going in a different direction?? Not hiring a GM requested by a player? Nah, VC destroyed his legacy here. Hope he got to experience the greener grass on the other side.

Richard Peddie promised Vince he could participate in the GM search. That was later withdrawn from the table without being communicated to Vince. Peddie even admitted he broke his promise to Vince.

Vince had very valid reasons to want out. He went behind closed doors but in typical MLSE fashion they used the media to forward their agenda.

Vince was more successful without the Raptors in terms of playoff success. Sadly he has outperformed the Raptors entire history on his own. So yeah, I guess even though he had very modest success the pastures were truly greener.

Cue the 2012/13 Toronto Raptors.
speedythief
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#25 » by speedythief » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:06 am

Let's invite him back to Toronto for a jersey retirement ceremony, except when we pull down the curtain it is a giant picture of VC laying face down on the court with his hands over his eyes, while Rasheed Wallace makes a shoveling mime in the background and the referees try not to laugh.

Seriously, funk that guy.
Boobs
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#26 » by Boobs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:06 am

RaptorReloaded wrote:The day VC was traded to me was like 9/11 in the sence that I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened.

Sitting in my old house, living room, saw theScore ticker, couldn't believe it. Minutes later, "On..on PS2 I probably could've got a bit more.."
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#27 » by MEDIC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:09 am

I think we've all learned (from Paul Peirce or Kobe situation) that when your franchise player is unhappy with the curent situation, as a management team you increase the talent around him.

You don't trade the guy.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
West Rouge
Banned User
And1: 324

Post#28 » by West Rouge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:10 am

MEDIC wrote:I think we've all learned (from Paul Peirce or Kobe situation) that when your franchise player is unhappy with the curent situation, as a management team you increase the talent around him.

You don't treade the guy.

You mean like BC bringing in Hedo?
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#29 » by MEDIC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:12 am

West Rouge wrote:
MEDIC wrote:I think we've all learned (from Paul Peirce or Kobe situation) that when your franchise player is unhappy with the curent situation, as a management team you increase the talent around him.

Haha. I guess..........if you think that Bosh was even close to a prime Vince Carter....... :lol:
LAUGHING
Pro Prospect
And1: 218

Post#30 » by LAUGHING » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 am

how badly did he get booed tonight?
West Rouge
Banned User

Post#31 » by West Rouge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:16 am

MEDIC wrote:
West Rouge wrote:

Haha. I guess..........if you think that Bosh was even close to a prime Vince Carter....... :lol:

Well no i don't. Although BC sold him to us that way which was bad. But not as bad as....

Having Bargs as our main guys since Bosh left. Just thinking of both those scenarios make me mad that someone actually gets paid big money to create these rosters

I also think building around one star is another flawed approach in today's NBA. You need to obtain multiple star players to be taken seriously. And quite frankly if thats not possible for us to compete for a championship ever any reason. Im not longer interested
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#32 » by MEDIC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:17 am

PS: I love VC threads.

You have all these guys popping out of the woodwork. Been on RealGM for 8+ years, but have < 100 posts.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#33 » by MEDIC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:18 am

West Rouge wrote:Well no i don't. Although BC sold him to us that way which was bad. But not as bad as....

Having Bargs as our main guys since Bosh left. Just thinking of both those scenarios make me mad that someone actually gets paid big money to create these rosters

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse..... :lol:
West Rouge
Banned User

Post#34 » by West Rouge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:19 am

I will say i really miss the VC days
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#35 » by PRESTIGE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:58 am

Seems like every year we get this. Its like an anniversary of a death. Just let it go. Its over.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Post#36 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 am

J-Roc wrote:
Guy Smiley wrote:Please. VC wanted Dr. J and wasn't happy ownership didn't abide. Is that what defines going in a different direction?? Not hiring a GM requested by a player? Nah, VC destroyed his legacy here. Hope he got to experience the greener grass on the other side.

Jack the Ripper did terrible things to women's clothing.

IOW, way to avoid the essence of why that was an issue.

He was frustrated with the organization, and tried to take an active hand. Not just in terms of ideas, but recruiting, building up the idea of playing in Toronto, etc.

When GG was fired, Vince raised his concerns with the direction, and pushed for Dr. J to take over, in large part because of the profile issue he saw as central to the organization's struggles with top name talent.

And Peddie promised Carter they would interview him for the job.

Let me repeat that: he was promised. Peddie has never even denied it.

Forget whether you, yourself, as a fan then or now think Carter should have been given that promise...I would argue yes, it wasn't abnormal for stars and he was doing more for his organization than most, but w/e, side issue...the fact is, he was promised.

And then, not only was Erving never interviewed, but Carter found out that and the fact that Babcock was hired by reading about it in a newspaper. In any walk of life, that's Peddie giving Carter a big **** you.

So forget all the Spin he put on it afterward, that's what happened, that's what Peddie did to our franchise player, and yet people still want to spin it as spoiled VC didn't get what he wanted. He never demanded Erving be hired, at all. He asked that he be considered, and was promised he would, and then was told to go screw himself through the press.

That's the real history.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#37 » by StatLine » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:20 am

Vinsanity
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#38 » by MikeM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:29 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
Guy Smiley wrote:Please. VC wanted Dr. J and wasn't happy ownership didn't abide. Is that what defines going in a different direction?? Not hiring a GM requested by a player? Nah, VC destroyed his legacy here. Hope he got to experience the greener grass on the other side.

He was frustrated with the organization, and tried to take an active hand. Not just in terms of ideas, but recruiting, building up the idea of playing in Toronto, etc.

When GG was fired, Vince raised his concerns with the direction, and pushed for Dr. J to take over, in large part because of the profile issue he saw as central to the organization's struggles with top name talent.

Forget whether you, yourself, as a fan then or now think Carter should have been given that promise...I would argue yes, it wasn't abnormal for stars and he was doing more for his organization than most, but w/e, side issue...the fact is, he was promised.

And then, not only was Erving never interviewed, but Carter found out that and the fact that Babcock was hired by reading about it in a newspaper. In any walk of life, that's Peddie giving Carter a big **** you.

So forget all the Spin he put on it afterward, that's what happened, that's what Peddie did to our franchise player, and yet people still want to spin it as spoiled VC didn't get what he wanted. He never demanded Erving be hired, at all. He asked that he be considered, and was promised he would, and then was told to go screw himself through the press.

That's the real history.

I believe this.
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,038

Post#39 » by Scase » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:48 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
J-Roc wrote:

That's the real history.

God forbid anyone not believe the entirely truthful toronto media after a player is gone right? It's pathetic when you have an entire media outlet slag a guy with BS and have all the idiots under the sun crap on them because they were told to.

KEEP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID KIDS IT'S WORKED WELL SO FAR
Props TZ!
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#40 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 am

I **** love Vince. Best raptor in history, easy. The guy actually loved Toronto. I've always thought it bizarre that he became hated for the very reason I think he deserved leniency: coming clean about his attitude towards the end.

Return to Toronto Raptors