ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight knows where he'll sign...

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Dwight knows where he'll sign... 

Post#1 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224978/Dwight_Howard_Already_Knows_Where_Hell_Sign

Okay, so I'm a Celts fan, but I'm not here trying to stir up anything. The article listed above doesn't seem to have generated much comment on either the Celts board (we have a fascination with you guys...lol) or here from a cursory glance. Might be missing something, so let me know if that's the case.

Thing I don't get is, why do you make a comment like that? Who are you helping my making it? If he wants to come out and say 'I want to return to the Lakers, my agent is working through the details and I hope it gets done' then more power to him. But saying he knows who he'll sign with, without specifically naming the Lakers seems crap to me.

And if it's NOT the Lakers he's planning on resigning with (which I personally would find hard to believe) it's even crapper.

So, two aspects to my question...

1) Am I missing something? Has he been taken out of context, or mentioned that 'the team' he is talking about is the Lakers?

2) What do you guys think about this? Is it just a non-issue (bigger fish to fry) or does it piss you off a little?

I find it dis-respectful to the organisation paying his bills, but I have been accused of old-schooliness more than once. And whilst disrespecting the Lakers is fine, it should be done by Celtics fans. Much like I expect Lakers fans to give it to us, but get confused by Clippers fans...*shrugs*
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,377

Re: Dwight knows where he'll sign... 

Post#2 » by Danny Darko » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 am

we've been through this for so long already I think that the general sucktitude of the season so far has eclipsed where he is signing for us.
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#3 » by GAME TIME » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 am

His shoe deal will make him sign with us. 8-)
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#4 » by Cashin out » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:14 am

Celtics fan making a thread about Dwight leaving LA on the Lakers board=sounds like trolling to me.
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#5 » by Gek » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 am

Even if Dwight leaves the trade has kept us from doubling down on Bynum with a max contract. Worth it IMO (in a future of LA sense).
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
Ikon
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#6 » by Ikon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 am

If he leaves, the Lakers are screwed for a few years considering that they don't have any first round picks.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#7 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 am

OP it's you........you're clearly over processing the article and what he's getting at. He can't come flat out and say he's signing with the Lakers, not when it's other teams with some cap room also.

Secondly I swear I don't get how guys on your board are so infatuated with what the Lakers are always doing. It's like posters on your board are women that's codependent on always having a man in their life to do something for them. Kinda girly like if you ask me. Here we don't give a rats ass on what the Celtics do.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#8 » by semi-sentient » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 am

Ikon wrote:If he leaves, the Lakers are screwed for a few years considering that they don't have any first round picks.

How have the Lakers 1st round draft choices turned out the past 20 years or so? Most of them have been trash. Fisher was the only guy who consistently contributed. Jones played no role in any of our championships and Bynum's has been absolutely minimal.

This team is more reliant on signing top-notch FA's and trading.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#9 » by Marionettetc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 am

DEEP3CL wrote:I swear I don't get how guys on your board are so infatuated with what the Lakers are always doing. It's like posters on your board are women that's codependent on always having a man in their life to do something for them. Kinda girly like if you ask me. Here we don't give a rats ass on what the Celtics do.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#10 » by Dr Aki » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RasAzyZYXGA[/youtube]

looks like he's enjoying himself in LA
Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Post#11 » by Run-MKE 311 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Non-starter, Dwight does not know his name half the time when he wakes up in the morning, he changes his damn mind so much.

I am sure though ESPN will find a way to somehow turn this into a "story", which is cot damn pathetic.
Ball so hard.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#12 » by ak7 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm

semi-sentient wrote:
Ikon wrote:If he leaves, the Lakers are screwed for a few years considering that they don't have any first round picks.

How have the Lakers 1st round draft choices turned out the past 20 years or so? Most of them have been trash. Fisher was the only guy who consistently contributed. Jones played no role in any of our championships and Bynum's has been absolutely minimal.

This team is more reliant on signing top-notch FA's and trading.

That is a horrible way to look at it. They haven't really had a chance or a need to ever build through the draft due to their success in the past 20 years.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#13 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 am

So, to those that gave me their opinions, thanks. I'm a Celts fan, but I'm a basketball fan. As I said, in my opinion, he'll resign with you guys. I just found it weird that he didn't just say 'I know I want to sign with the Lakers'. Leaving the team's name our seems strange. I'm still sure it's the Lakers he means, I just don't get the man.

Since I'm an Aussie, I'm always a little wary of missing some information that might be common knowledge, or whatever, so thought I'd post here to clarify, and get more informed opinions.

Cashin out wrote:Celtics fan making a thread about Dwight leaving LA on the Lakers board=sounds like trolling to me.

Meh...I don't see how any of what I said is trolling, but whatever. If you don't think I'm asking a serious question, don't respond. You added zero to the thread.
I've posted on at least half of the boards, though obviously the Celts one more than any. I just find it useful to ask the actual fans of a team questions about those teams.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 am

LewisnotMiller wrote: I just found it weird that he didn't just say 'I know I want to sign with the Lakers'. Leaving the team's name our seems strange. I'm still sure it's the Lakers he means, I just don't get the man.

Making it simple....it's called needing to keep leverage. Simple as that. If he say's he's resigning with the Lakers and we haven't even gotten to summer yet, what good does it do for him to have an agent ?

Same reason he didn't sign an extension in October when he had the chance, gotta keep leverage. It's a business and smart basketball fans should understand that, no need to hate on a player for looking at business first.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#15 » by Jakay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 am

I bet it's Washington. It makes a lot of sense to tip his hat like that this early in the Lakers season if he's going to Washington.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#16 » by fdr2012 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:Making it simple....it's called needing to keep leverage. Simple as that. If he say's he's resigning with the Lakers and we haven't even gotten to summer yet, what good does it do for him to have an agent ?

Same reason he didn't sign an extension in October when he had the chance, gotta keep leverage. It's a business and smart basketball fans should understand that, no need to hate on a player for looking at business first.

Let me ask you this question - if the Lakers don't make the playoffs or are knocked out in the first round, do you honestly believe Dwight re-signs with a team, knowing that he'd be wasting at least one more year? Do you think Dwight commits long-term to a team with a 35 YO Kobe, a 40 YO Nash and a 33 YO Gasol who can barely play as is? Does that make sense for Dwight? Is that what he wanted to leave Orlando for?

Do you think he doesn't even look at places like Houston, Dallas or the Hawks?
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#17 » by deNIEd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:20 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote: I just found it weird that he didn't just say 'I know I want to sign with the Lakers'. Leaving the team's name our seems strange. I'm still sure it's the Lakers he means, I just don't get the man.

Making it simple....it's called needing to keep leverage. Simple as that. If he say's he's resigning with the Lakers and we haven't even gotten to summer yet, what good does it do for him to have an agent ?

Leverage has nothing to do with why Dwight has not signed an extension. Dwight knows he will get the max wherever he goes, so he doesn't need any kind of leverage.

He simply won't resign anywhere, because waiting 6 months for him results in an extra $40 million in guaranteed contracts. If he wanted to, he could absolutely say I will sign with the Lakers this offseason (or whatever team he "intends" to resign with.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm

yeah, no idea where the leverage thing comes from.

its really simple to me, dwight is an attention whore. nothing more, nothing less.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Gek
RealGM
And1: 1,807

Post#19 » by Gek » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Jakay wrote:I bet it's Washington. It makes a lot of sense to tip his hat like that this early in the Lakers season if he's going to Washington.

Think of all the accessory combinations he could have with red, white and blue colors. He'd look like captain america.
#teamhermes
go pens - pirates - steelers - lakers
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#20 » by GAME TIME » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Lakers have bird rights.

thread /

Return to Los Angeles Lakers