Rosenthal: Jays, Mets trade may be expanding beyond Dickey

Moderator: JaysRule15

hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Re: Rosenthal: Jays, Mets trade may be expanding beyond Dick 

Post#501 » by hyper316 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 am

it's hard to keep things quiet on the newly crowned Cy Young winner

getting Dickey is a win-now move for the next 3 years. TDA may not be able to produce big league leagues in 1-2 years. With Bautista in his prime now, I applaud AA for his willingness to trade key prospects for a chance to win now.

AA has done a fine job stocking the farms, my confidence is in him to continue to do so. now with the chance to upgrade the team with a CY YOUNG winner, I'd do this 100x over again to win now. think of the excitement in the club house when the GM is pulling off major trades and ownership stepping up with the money. it's going to be a complete culture change and winning is on the players' minds.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#502 » by SharoneWright » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 am

^
I sure hope Bautista heals. :pray:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#503 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 am

mapko81 wrote:Why is the Ninja letting this info leak?

Because a trade involves two teams, and the other team is a New York based team that employs JP Ricciardi that would stand to benefit from leaking information to drive up Dickey's value.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Re: Blue Jays "serious suitors" for R.A. Dickey 

Post#504 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 am

acemann wrote:im not crazy about ike davis.

Nor should you be. He can't hit left-handed pitching, so there would be no reason at all to have him on this team.
DeenNY31
Senior
And1: 48

Post#505 » by DeenNY31 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 am

lol you guys are delusional if you think we are giving up ike or niese

Its gonna be dickey and maybe someone like murphy, duda, and/or parnell for D'arnaud, gose +
RedArmy
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#506 » by RedArmy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am

TheseSicklyKeys wrote:
RedArmy wrote:
the proposed deal grew in size upon Toronto's willingness to include D'Arnaud, the game's best catching prospect.

If you tell me AA had a chance to deal a certain man named JPA instead.

What makes you think that could have been the case?

The 'proposed deal' involving Dickey grew, which means Mets GM weren't hellbent on D'Arnaud and was willing to listen. Do AA love his boy JPA that much??
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#507 » by distracted » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

RedArmy wrote:The 'proposed deal' involving Dickey grew, which means Mets GM weren't hellbent on D'Arnaud and was willing to listen. Do AA love his boy JPA that much??

Proposed by whom though?

If the Mets proposed Dickey for TDA, that's still the proposed deal. It could have grown because AA wasn't willing to give up TDA for Dickey alone, but there may be some other way to find appropriate value for both sides by including others.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#508 » by Raider917 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:44 pm

are the angels talking with dickey as well?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#509 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 pm

hyper316 wrote:
I don't think Jays need another rotation SP in Harvey. There's just no space.

Johnson
Dickey
Morrow
Buehrle
Romero

Sure, you can say Jays need pitching depth in case of injuries, but not young arms like Harvey that need a starting role to grow. Injury promoted SP are for the likes of CV and Happ, who really belongs in the bullpen and do spot starts. It's better off for the Jays to stash their young arms in low A who are 3-4 years away from big leagues. Look at how the Rays bring up their SP, let the young arms develop and dont rush them.

You recognize the importance of rotation depth and then argue that there's no space? After watching Romero last season I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced that he'll bounce back. Then there's Morrow and Johnson who always have trouble playing 6 straight months without visiting the IL.

Either way, you can never have too much starting pitching and I would definitely argue that the Jays don't currently have enough depth at the position.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#510 » by Komodo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I realize d'Arnaud is MLB-ready but isn't his loss somewhat offset if we draft a good position player with our top-10 pick? Of course the issue is JP's lackluster ability behind the plate and that's imperative considering our quality of pitching, but the pick is certainly a major plus, no?
The_Hater

Post#511 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Teams, as we reported, were looking over medical information of players, a formality. Unless something very odd happens this deal gets done.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#512 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Komodo wrote:I realize d'Arnaud is MLB-ready but isn't his loss somewhat offset if we draft a good position player with our top-10 pick? Of course the issue is JP's lackluster ability behind the plate and that's imperative considering our quality of pitching, but the pick is certainly a major plus, no?

The issue is JP's ability behind the plate AND at the plate. While d'Arnaud hasn't yet shown he is a major league player, the overwhelming consensus is that he would be an upgrade over Arencibia. With a year or two of experience, he could possibly be a major upgrade. Personally I think that upgrade at C would prove more beneficial to the team than a short-term upgrade at SP provided by Dickey.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#513 » by whysoserious » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:18 pm

I know Dickey is coming off a Cy Young but i can't seem to understand why the value is so high for a 38 year old player having a career year?

Prior to last year he'd be considered solid, not spectacular but one season at his age is driving up the price to this level?

I'd rather give up the prospects for someone like Felix if he's in play or if Tampa was to move Shields or Price (even though a division trade is not likely). That's where I'd target trading that level of players for a guy, not a 38 year old off a career year.

I'd rather they go out and sign Morneau, call it a day and see what you have. Look at Miami, what if this thing blows up on you, now you've given up everything in one off-season and are stuck. I'd rather the Jays wait and see what they have and still have upgrade options at the trade deadline.
The_Hater

Post#514 » by The_Hater » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:30 pm

whysoserious wrote:I know Dickey is coming off a Cy Young but i can't seem to understand why the value is so high for a 38 year old player having a career year?

We don't know what the entire deal is so it's impossible to say what the 'price' is for Dickey just yet.

He did have a career year but the more popular 'one year wonder' argument that others like to drop isn't very accurate. The guy abandoned most of conventional pitches and became a full time knuckleballer just 3 seasons ago and has been nothing short of a frontline starter/ace since that time. So I'm not sure why people expect him to pitch poorly when he's never pitched poorly as a knuckleballer. And looking at is pitching history prior to the past 3 seasons is pointless, people might as well be looking at a completely different guy.

Also, considering last season was his best season of the 3, one could argue that now that he's concentrating on his knuckleball full-time he's actually improving. As odd as that would seem for a pitcher his age.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
evilRyu
General Manager

Post#515 » by evilRyu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:32 pm

oh man.. so this seems to really have strong legs.. at first i was very skeptical at the rumor, but now there's way too much smoke for it not to be legitimately close
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#516 » by satyr9 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 pm

evilRyu wrote:oh man.. so this seems to really have strong legs.. at first i was very skeptical at the rumor, but now there's way too much smoke for it not to be legitimately close

*cough* Yu Darvish *cough*

Dont' get me wrong, I'm totally with you on this, but this is exactly what got us talked into all this last time too. Twitter is your enemy, you must be vigilant and never forget.

If there was a suspense movie about terrorists trying to destroy internet infrastructure to destroy the twitter that it gave birth to, I'd nominate it for every Oscar possible, sight unseen.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#517 » by BigLeagueChew » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm

whysoserious wrote:I know Dickey is coming off a Cy Young but i can't seem to understand why the value is so high for a 38 year old player having a career year?

Prior to last year he'd be considered solid, not spectacular but one season at his age is driving up the price to this level?

I'd rather give up the prospects for someone like Felix if he's in play or if Tampa was to move Shields or Price (even though a division trade is not likely). That's where I'd target trading that level of players for a guy, not a 38 year old off a career year.

I'd rather they go out and sign Morneau, call it a day and see what you have. Look at Miami, what if this thing blows up on you, now you've given up everything in one off-season and are stuck. I'd rather the Jays wait and see what they have and still have upgrade options at the trade deadline.

The trade price also goes up when players like Dempster get the money they are getting and Greinke is a great pitcher but I don't see why he deserves that big of a contract. So if we did trade for Dickey we get a Cy Young winner( I know Cy Young's don't mean everything) but we get him @ $5 mil next year and maybe Ryan Dempster money if he signs an extension.

There was rumours going on the Jays site that Trumbo and Bourjos were offered to the Mets and they said no, so whoever we give up it's likely going to be a fairly big price to them.

There is a write up on fangraphs, for what it's worth, saying that Dickey has been as good as Price the last 3 years.

Code: Select all

Season   Name   IP   K/BB   HR/9   BABIP   LOB%   ERA-   FIP-   xFIP-
2010   David Price   208   2.38   0.65   0.270   79%   69   86   92
2010   R.A. Dickey   174   2.48   0.67   0.276   77%   73   94   94
2011   David Price   224   3.46   0.88   0.281   73%   90   86   82
2011   R.A. Dickey   208   2.48   0.78   0.278   75%   89   101   103
2012   David Price   211   3.47   0.68   0.285   81%   66   77   75
2012   R.A. Dickey   233   4.26   0.92   0.275   80%   72   87   84

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/r-a-dickey-and-the-myth-of-one-great-year/

When it's broken down like that, maybe d'Arnaud being traded would eventually be easier to get over but it would be tough letting him go and watching Arencibia instead.
evilRyu
General Manager

Post#518 » by evilRyu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:44 pm

satyr9 wrote:
evilRyu wrote:oh man.. so this seems to really have strong legs.. at first i was very skeptical at the rumor, but now there's way too much smoke for it not to be legitimately close

*cough* Yu Darvish *cough*

Dont' get me wrong, I'm totally with you on this, but this is exactly what got us talked into all this last time too. Twitter is your enemy, you must be vigilant and never forget.

If there was a suspense movie about terrorists trying to destroy internet infrastructure to destroy the twitter that it gave birth to, I'd nominate it for every Oscar possible, sight unseen.

good point.. after that Darvish fiasco, i learned not to be more careful when it comes to these. However, AA and co. did mention that they learned from that experience in terms of "managing fans' expectations". Wouldn't AA come out and publicly put the kibosh on these rumors if they are false?
raps4589
Pro Prospect
And1: 28

Post#519 » by raps4589 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 pm

wow so were gonna deal the best catching prospect for 1 year of ra dickey... guess were going for it this year.
raps4589
Pro Prospect
And1: 28

Post#520 » by raps4589 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 pm

torontoaces04 wrote:D'Arnaud
Gose
Lind
Norris
Nessy

For

Dickey