What if OKC picked...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Re: What if OKC picked... 

Post#21 » by Jack wore plaid » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 pm

What if Portland had picked Durant?

OKC isn't being talked about right now
Quinarvy
Bench Warmer
And1: 134

Post#22 » by Quinarvy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Stolen Team Fan wrote:
Quinarvy wrote:
Stolen Team Fan wrote:An even better what-if: What if they drafted Durant and Joakim Noah instead of Durant and Green in '07? Still draft Westbrook and Ibaka in '08, and draft Rubio instead of Harden and slide Westbrook over to SG in '09. Assuming Rubio's injury was a freak incident and not fate, that would give a lineup of:

Rubio
Westbrook
Durant
Ibaka
Noah

:o Personally, I like that lineup a whole lot better than shoe-horning Love in there.

Hell, just draft Noah instead of Green and go into the Lux Tax. With a starting five of Westbrook - Harden - Durant - Ibaka - Noah, you could just have ring chasers.

So basically it comes down to personal tastes as to whether one would want Westbrook & Harden, or Rubio & Westbrook.
And to anyone complaining that WB isn't a SG, remember that he played SG in college. The position isn't foreign to him. He did wonderfully the times he played off the ball with Harden running the point. I think he would remain doing well if he only had to worry about improving his shooting / defense as opposed to improving his PG skills. Could you imagine him being set up beautifully by a PG like Rubio? Shivers, man. Shivers. :D

Keep in mind it would take them more time to develop together, since Rubio only just came over.

Durant and Noah in '07.
Westbrook and Ibaka in '08.
Harden in '09.

Regardless, Noah over Green would have been astronomically better
D-ROSE. BIGGER. STRONGER. FASTER THAN YOU CHRIS PAUL.

- Stacey King
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,825

Post#23 » by giberish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Quinarvy wrote:
Keep in mind it would take them more time to develop together, since Rubio only just came over.

Durant and Noah in '07.
Harden in '09.

With the 3rd pick salary slot, Rubio comes over in 2009.
Although you could argue that delaying Rubio until 2011 (and then delaying his 2nd contract until 2015) would be a win for OKC.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#24 » by MagicTownBaller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm

giberish wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:I think if they picked Love, they would've picked Rubio next year. They were rumored to be picking between Rubio and Harden during that draft.

I don't think that they were seriously considering Rubio with Westbrook - they needed a complementary guard with more range than Rubio (making Harden the obvious choice form Rubio/Harden/Evans).

With Love in place of Westbrook then they likely take Rubio (who was generally considered ahead of Harden/Evans at the time).

They also probably still take Ibaka even with Love. It wasn't clear at the time what position Ibaka would become (PF or C) or how good he'd be (could easily just have been a backup).

With Durant and Love at SF/PF they're probably trying to move Green for a SG or C even before the eventual Perkins deal.

There was talk back then that they wanted Westbrook playing the 2 more then the point. They would've played Rubio and Westbrook together and it would've been a really fun team to watch.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#25 » by MagicTownBaller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Quinarvy wrote:Keep in mind it would take them more time to develop together, since Rubio only just came over.

Durant and Noah in '07.
Harden in '09.

The only reason that Rubio didn't come over was that he couldn't afford the buyout option in his contract while going #5 overall. He would've needed to be in the top three to come to the NBA right away. But, either way, it would've worked out for the Thunder.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
TheGarden
Banned User
And1: 1,156

Post#26 » by TheGarden » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 pm

Or

Durant and Marc Gasol in 2007
Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka in 2008
Stephen Curry in 2009

Curry-Westbrook
Love-Gasol-Durant

that team has everything
Stolen Team Fan
Bench Warmer
And1: 48

Post#27 » by Stolen Team Fan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:02 am

TheGarden wrote:
Curry-Westbrook
Ibaka-Gasol-Durant

FTFY. There's no way they get both WB and Love. Still a good team, but improbable. Gasol wasn't on anybody's radar at that point, whereas Noah was known to be a top talent at Florida, but had potential immaturity issues. This team had the #5 pick, and Noah went #9, so it's not like he was a total come-out-of-nowhere reach that only makes sense in hindsight.
I move around so much, I've just decided to start rooting for everybody.
Except the Heat.
OKCThunderUp35
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#28 » by OKCThunderUp35 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12 am

Get worse IMO
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#29 » by Shem » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:Love instead of Westbrook in 2008? How would the Thunder fare? Would they still have gone with Harden?

If the Thunder had taken Love instead of Westbrook, then things would have played out differently. Who's to say they get the 3rd pick in the 2009 draft to have a chance at Harden?
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#30 » by magic wand time » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:50 pm

TheGarden wrote:Or

Durant and Marc Gasol in 2007
Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka in 2008
Stephen Curry in 2009

Curry-Westbrook
Love-Gasol-Durant

that team has everything

Then the Pau Gasol to Lakers trade doesn't happen since Wallace said the day after the trade that Marc was just as coveted and the best big in Europe, like getting another 1st rdr. Lakers don't get Pau. Don't win back-to-back. OKC could've rerouted basketball history.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}

Return to The General Board