ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Raptors establish a winning culture

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Re: PG: Raptors establish a winning culture 

Post#181 » by Dalek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:20 am

wootwoot wrote:Nice to see the team playing better the last 2 games. More teamwork shown on both ends of the floor than in previous games. Mavericks played badly tonight, but that is not the only reason we won. We have faced other teams this season that have played badly and still beaten us easily.

Positives I take from the past two games are better teamwork/chemistry, better production from bench, better pace for the team (Run and gun B-ball is not advisable for a team with poor individual defending guards. I think this team is built for a slower pace where running happens only off of open-court & top-of-key turnovers - the slower pace allows you to limit turnovers and long rebounds where half your team is still running towards the opponent's basket, which in turn allows you to set up your defense so you can defend as a team instead of having 1 or 2 individuals back on D), and having the team's best performing players (this season) on the court for significant minutes together. This team will still struggle against more talented teams who play well, but if they play together like they have the last 2 games, their winning percentage will go up.

Also, it was really fun for me to see T-Ross & Demar on the fast break together a few times tonight!

Casey ball should be low turnover, grind it out basketball. It is why I favour us using more low postscoring if we make a trade. Someone like Luis Scola/Millsap would be ideal, but maybe Ed Davis can play the role.
Gntts
Junior
And1: 572

Post#182 » by Gntts » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:26 am

niQ wrote:
ROBBS wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQljqMHfu60[/youtube]

Niiice. Loved it!

I did not hope that Demar would ever pass the ball while driving to the basket. Glad to see him sharing the ball a lot yesterday. The pass to TRoss was not the only one he did make in the situations in which he was almost never passing earlier this year. It is good for the team.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#183 » by fredericklove » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 am

Choker wrote:
JJ From Deep wrote:Wow at whoever called Amy Fay average...LOL

That's not her is it? Her boobs are bigger than that and she's a lot thicker. Kind of hard to tell. Funny that I actually know her too lol

It's her, her original source says Amy Fay. Very very average looking I guess :lol:
fabste
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#184 » by fabste » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm

JJ From Deep wrote:Wow at whoever called Amy Fay average...LOL

For italian standards she IS average :wink:
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#185 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:57 pm

fredericklove wrote:It's her, her original source says Amy Fay. Very very average looking I guess :lol:

Dang she's changed a lot since I've last seen her. Lowkey heard she's been getting caught up in that stardom life that would cause one to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time ahem.
Read on Twitter
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#186 » by J-Roc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:21 pm

There was a painful period in yesterday's game where the Raps were jacking up long range shots, or bad shots, and luckily getting offensive rebounds. Then Kleiza hits a ridiculously deep three. And Jack Armstrong tells us this is Dwane Casey "grind it out" basketball. Sad.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#187 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:but...but...I thought we needed space in order to win. I'm confused.

Well, this game doesn't disprove that does it? We took out a Val and played Linas to provide spacing, that busted their zone and we pulled away. If you want to make the anti Bargs point not sure pointing to spacing is the way because every game since Casey is trying to find away to get spacing from the four.

I know so much is going to go on Bargs, but to me moving the ball and trusting team mates better doesn't sound like Barg's issues as much as the other absentee "star".

Also Jonas has potential, but really all this year has been about giving him experience, which is fine, and I'm glad he's getting a free pass, but he's not really giving us much, and really hasn't all year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Post#188 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:57 pm

I was really impressed with DeRozan, he hit some tough shot when the team needed it and the gsame was in the balance. Down the stretch we got hot (LK) from 3 and pulled away but until the I thought DeMar had come out and put the team on his back. Made a statement.

I was impressed with Jose, who was big tonight. Have to thing the Mavs would love to have him.

Of course Ross has a solid 2nd Quarter, kind of fell in love with it abit, but overall strong game, and of couse Linas got hot from 3.

The team played together on both ends though and I think most of all that's the difference.

Was funny after all the BC Focus hating to hear Cases interviews duirng the game, where he essentially echoed the sentiments.

Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#189 » by Illuminati_ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:but...but...I thought we needed space in order to win. I'm confused.

Well, this game doesn't disprove that does it? We took out a Val and played Linas to provide spacing, that busted their zone and we pulled away. If you want to make the anti Bargs point not sure pointing to spacing is the way because every game since Casey is trying to find away to get spacing from the four.

I know so much is going to go on Bargs, but to me moving the ball and trusting team mates better doesn't sound like Barg's issues as much as the other absentee "star".

Also Jonas has potential, but really all this year has been about giving him experience, which is fine, and I'm glad he's getting a free pass, but he's not really giving us much, and really hasn't all year.

"but but but...spacing" posters who keep repeating this just make themselves look ignorant daily. Like mentioned above why in the world was Linas subbed in? When you have two big man with no mid range game to speak of yet alone one that stretches to 25 feet out howin the world will demar operate? All a team has to do is collapse on the entire team and we all know Demar cant shoot 15 feet out.

but but but....lol its a simple concept.
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#190 » by Nothingface » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:33 pm

The real question is, are we better without Bargnani, or are we better without Lowry.

The team rarely looks cohesive with Lowry at the helm...
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#191 » by Indeed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Kleiza is the stretch big. If you didn't watch the game, you may want to read the comments here.
As people said above, our system needs a stretch big, 3 point shooting, passing and defense. Ross is a big part of it. However, I agree with someone that our offense relies on Kleiza will not be consistent. And our defense is good, but few of them are unforced error. Also, Dallas is a small team, Marion is their PF with Brand in the middle.

A win is a win, so perhaps we will look forward and see if our offense and defense can maintain.
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#192 » by mirrornick » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:14 pm

bape_lovers wrote:so we won every game that you created GT? :o

mirrornick wrote:Oh boy I might get banned. I'm 5-1 this season and preseason when I make a game thread.

Sorry folks . I will not create another GT this year

Nope, most of the wins were in preseason.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#193 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Nothingface wrote:The real question is, are we better without Bargnani, or are we better without Lowry.

The team rarely looks cohesive with Lowry at the helm...

Even with cohesiveness we would still have an abundance of problems.

Read on Twitter
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#194 » by Indeed » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:19 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:

Yes, Bargnani has became like Bosh, a black hole who only look for his shot. This is why I turn away from Bosh.
I thought I would give Bargnani a year for him to adjust, since he showed in his rookie year, he is a willing passer, but I guess the time has came, and we cannot afford someone to think "me first". We cannot have "I need to make shot", "I need to get into rhythm", "I need to stop my man scoring efficiently", and etc. It should be "the team needs to make shot", "the team needs to get into rhythm", "the team needs to stop the other team scoring efficiently", and etc.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#195 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Although Linas and Ross were the huge boosters for us that won the game, Ed Davis' decision making was what was helping us stay in it initially before those above mentioned two broke out. There are a lot of problems on this team and not having a legit inside presence who could make decisions is one of them. Hypothetically DeRozan is one of those options but he's not a good decision maker though.

Davis has been a huge bright spot for this team.

Read on Twitter
BorisDK1
Assistant Coach
And1: 240

Post#196 » by BorisDK1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote: Well, this game doesn't disprove that does it? We took out a Val and played Linas to provide spacing, that busted their zone and we pulled away. If you want to make the anti Bargs point not sure pointing to spacing is the way because every game since Casey is trying to find away to get spacing from the four.

The anti-Bargnani viewpoint becomes clear when you realize that it was our defense (coupled with their inability to shoot) that won us that game. Our offensive efficiency was mediocre, and Kleiza didn't exactly provide "spacing": he just made wide-open shots that he usually misses, which Dallas was content to let him try. (How could he be said to create space if he were wide open?)

Did you watch the third quarter, when their zone offense completely fell apart with Jose at the helm? When Ed Davis had Vince Carter sealed behind him on the right block (opening up the left jump hook, obviously) for three consecutive possessions with Jose with the ball in his hands at the top of the 3 point arc, only for the ball to be stationary-dribbled and then thrown to the wing to a contested player?

I know this board hates point guards who score, no matter how efficiently, but to make this game into an anti-Lowry standpoint is probably not going to work in your favour.

Actually, making this past game an anti- or pro-anybody for any ideas greater than this single game is probably wrong-headed. We had major issues in terms of execution and awareness, but made just enough shots on a night where Dallas couldn't hit sand if they threw off a camel.

OTOH, Amir Johnson played a spectacular defensive game. He deserves some props.

I do agree about your point about Jonas, though.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,690

Post#197 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Sorry folks, didn't watch the game. It was joke rather then a serious analysis type of thing. So was Kleiza actually playing power forward, with Davis/Amir manning center? None the less, I think the spacing thing is overrated when you factor in how bad the defense has been this season. Defense will win more games in the long run. Spacing can be solved later on, but you shouldn't have to sacrifice defense and rebounding for it.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#198 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:45 pm

Terrence Ross highlights

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUhsxQd7k0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I may be the only person that sees him as a great sub off the bench. Not saying he's not starter material, but looking at other subs he could really provide a boost similar to theirs in the near future. Like current J.R. Smith, who's actually playing defense and passing the ball.

Read on Twitter
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#199 » by fredericklove » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Choker wrote:
fredericklove wrote:It's her, her original source says Amy Fay. Very very average looking I guess :lol:

Dang she's changed a lot since I've last seen her. Lowkey heard she's been getting caught up in that stardom life that would cause one to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time ahem.

Ah well forget Amy I'm looking at your Shay GIF right now. She and Troian rank pretty high on my list 8-)
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#200 » by lucky777s » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:51 pm

That is 3 out of 5 wins without Lowry. Does not look good on him from that standpoint.

However, you can't give the Raps too much credit in 2 of the 5 wins. IND was absolutely brutal in the game when they scored 74 and DAL last night barely even showed up. Don't get excited about our D, 90% of that was just DAL being horrible.

I would still want to give Lowry a full year here to see how he fits in. Then we either trade him or extend him this summer. It would suck to give OKC the 4 pick and then only get the 13 pick back in return for Lowry on draft night trade, but that may be the best we can do.

1. FIRE BC
2. Trade Bargs and Jose if we can. Play Bargs off the bench if we cannot.
3. See how team plays out the year under Casey
4. Decide whether Lowry is our guy, trade or extend
5. Decide if Casey is our guy, fire or extend
6. Trade Bargs if still here, unless he was perfect as 6th man. Maybe even then
7. See what we can do on draft night depending if we have a pick or not
8. Address the wing spots
9. Be open to big moves that might be out there if we still owe pick, otherwise assess team and see if one final tanking is still required.

Return to Toronto Raptors