ImageImageImage

Varejao - what are we willing to give up?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Fire Mchale
Junior
And1: 9

Re: Varejao - what are we willing to give up? 

Post#21 » by Fire Mchale » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I would be good as long as Pek, Love, Ricky, Shved or Cunningham aren't in the deal. The problem becomes whether or not Pek's desires to leave the team via FA increase with competition for minutes from Bob. And will Varejao be ok coming off the bench?

If we ultimately lose Pek through FA because we acquired Varejoa, I think I pass altogether.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 pm

I'd do something like...

to Charlotte, Derrick Williams, Ridnour
to Cleveland, Harrington, Pekovic
to Orlando, Sessions, Henderson, Casspi
to Minnesota, Afflalo, Varejao
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#23 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Id be game for that....I wouldn't mind giving up Pek...but not Pek and D-will.

Im a little worried about Pek getting a big deal...while Av is on a great contract right now with how he's playing....even though AV is what,30? That makes me a bit hesitant.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#24 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:56 pm

Or something like this:

MN: Noah. Bellinelli - best player, great fit next to Love
CLE: Pekovic, Ridnour (1st?) - Pekovic is expiring, gives them increased flexibility and solid back-up PG
CHI: Varejao, Williams - Nab Noah-like player in Varejao and a solid prospect in Williams.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#25 » by Krapinsky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:05 am

Fischella wrote:I'd do something like...

to Charlotte, Derrick Williams, Ridnour
to Cleveland, Harrington, Pekovic
to Orlando, Sessions, Henderson, Casspi
to Minnesota, Afflalo, Varejao

Don't see Orlando doing that. Probably not Cleveland either.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#26 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 am

Usually these sorts of deals are primarily draft pick based IMO. Unfortunately, we've squandered our extras. I'd say try and flip JJ or Luke into an expiring, send steamer, and send the mem pick and future mn 1st top 3 protect.
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#27 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:27 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Hou eats ridnour year and swaps out dwill for royce

Mn gambles the white will play for them and doesn't impact cap space next season. White is cheap and high risk reward. Hou gets high draft pick forward with loads of potential that will actually goto practice?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#28 » by Krapinsky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:36 am

Rather not have White than have him. Negative asset IMO.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#29 » by AQuintus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 am

the_bruce wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Mn gambles the white will play for them and doesn't impact cap space next season. White is cheap and high risk reward. Hou gets high draft pick forward with loads of potential that will actually goto practice?

Decent for Minnesota, though White is a net negative at this point.

Terrible for Cleveland and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too good for Houston. Turning a headcase that's not even playing for them into DWill and a quality backup PG is ridiculous.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#30 » by FinnTheHuman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:54 am

I like Pek. Just don't trade him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,978

Post#31 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 am

Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?

People are going to differ on Varejao's value based on whether they evaluate players for their per game averages, or for their season totals. I'm the latter, because we pay for the whole season, and that's why I'm not as high on Varejao as most. He played 31 and 25 games his previous two seasons. I worry about whether all these injuries are bad luck, or the result of the way he plays the game.

I'd give Williams and Roy/Ridnour/Barea. I may throw in the pick if it's a deal-breaker. But I wouldn't go higher than that.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#32 » by karch34 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:31 am

I'd love Varejo as it would give us a killer front court. As far as minutes I think Saltine had a good breakdown. Cunningham has played great, but I think he loses some effectiveness when he gets heavy minutes. Also with the health and style of play with Love and Pek a quality big would be a great add. I wouldn't take him over Pek and would probably be where Shrink is on what I'd give.
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#33 » by jfg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 am

shrink wrote:Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?

Most people who have had decent ideas don't want to ship Pek but would if they get somebody who equals Pek's value but in different ways plus SG help in return. I have to say that I have backed off on considering Pek as a trade candidate because we're going to need him if Love bolts. Who knows if that will happen, but the only reason I'm down on Pek is because he doesn't compliment Love's weaknesses.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#34 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:06 am

jfg wrote:
shrink wrote:Eight hours after their posts, and Pek's 31 point game, do people still want to deal Pek for Varejao?

Most people who have had decent ideas don't want to ship Pek but would if they get somebody who equals Pek's value but in different ways plus SG help in return. I have to say that I have backed off on considering Pek as a trade candidate because we're going to need him if Love bolts. Who knows if that will happen, but the only reason I'm down on Pek is because he doesn't compliment Love's weaknesses.

The only problem with that logic is we'll need to re-sign Pek because Love won't have to opportunity to "bolt" for another season or two.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#35 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 am

AQuintus wrote:
the_bruce wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c3y24lo

Mem pick mn pick to cle

Decent for Minnesota, though White is a net negative at this point.

Terrible for Cleveland and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too good for Houston. Turning a headcase that's not even playing for them into DWill and a quality backup PG is ridiculous.

Disagree for cle two future 1st is big imo
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#36 » by the_bruce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:31 am

Krapinsky wrote:Rather not have White than have him. Negative asset IMO.

While I agree that white is negative value I think the long term result is good. I am biased as I like white skillset and would gladly pay 1.5-2m for its potential than 1m a year for guys like Amundsen
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#37 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:43 am

I wouldn't mind having White for home games as a 14th/15th, end-of-the-bench guy.
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#38 » by Gideon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:30 pm

The idea of trading for Varejao and using him as a backup is misguided IMO. The guy is a legit all-star this season who is going to be a big producer wherever he goes. He's also worked hard to get to this point and would likely not be thrilled to suddenly take a step back during his prime. I totally disagree that having a crowded frontcourt rotation fighting for minutes "would be a good problem to have" -- these are human beings not chess pieces, and chemistry is one of the absolute most important things in basketball.

Pek and Varejao are both starters. Forcing guys who are really good to play limited roles is never a recipe for success. It's one thing one a really good player voluntarily takes a smaller role knowing what he's getting into (which rarely happens, unless he's towards the end of his career and signing with a top team, actually), but it's totally different with young guys or guys in their primes who rightfully want the playing time they've worked so hard to get. You can say they make millions and should just suck it up all you want, but that's not reality.

Varejao (right now, anyway) is a better player, but Pek is younger and we don't know how much he can improve. I like both players a lot. I also think Pek might not be the best long-run fit for the Wolves' roster, but I got into that argument on another thread and there's no point in doing it again here.

Basically, if we trade for Varejao, it wouldn't make sense to keep Pek, as one or both of them would likely end up disgruntled/not maximizing potential. I do think Varejao would be a great fit... health concerns are a biggie, though, so it's a tough call.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,978

Post#39 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Gideon wrote:The idea of trading for Varejao and using him as a backup is misguided IMO. The guy is a legit all-star this season who is going to be a big producer wherever he goes. He's also worked hard to get to this point and would likely not be thrilled to suddenly take a step back during his prime.

Do you think Harden and Ginobili felt the same way, when they were actual All Stars?

The reason that the three-big overwhelming rotation hasn't been used like the three-guard overwhelming rotation is simply because it costs too much money. That may happen here as well, if Taylor isn't willing to go over the lux. But if you want to win games -- wouldn't 48 minutes of this be about the scariest thing in the world to defend?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Gideon
Pro Prospect
And1: 178

Post#40 » by Gideon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Harden and Ginobili were 6th men (like McHale on the 80s Celtics) who came off the bench for strategy reasons, but still got plenty of minutes and touches, and were virtually always in at the end of games. They basically played just as big a role as if they were starters, and did so on teams contending for a title. Everybody knew that Harden, not Selofosha, was the guy at SG, same with Ginobili and S-Jax or whoever... with Pek and Andy, that's not the case. If we have Andy, Pek, and Love, there's really no way to play all three at once, so I think it's not really a comparable situation. I do agree it would one a hell of a frontcourt to defend, but I don't think you can turn Andy or Pek into a backup (a real backup who doesn't finish close games... not a McHale/Ginobili/Harden 6th man role) right now.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves