ImageImageImageImageImage

The Manhattan Knicks?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

DMass
Pro Prospect
And1: 100

Re: The Manhattan Knicks? 

Post#21 » by DMass » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

In all honesty, it was good marketing from the Nets to start this "battle of the boroughs" nonsense. Making us out to be the Manhattan Knicks is what they want at the end of the day.

It's brilliant how we've gone about dismantling the Brooklyn hype though with our start to the season. Everyone is talking about the Knicks - as always.

“There’s always going to be Knicks fans, though,” Williams said. “They’ll sneak in. They’ll find a way.”
badboy0624
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by badboy0624 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:05 pm

NYKinMIA wrote:
Paradise wrote:Here's why we say that (not trolling or nothing just informing) but there is three reasons:

1. The "Knickerbocker" name comes from the pseudonym used by Washington Irving in his book A History of New York, a name which became applied to the descendants of the original Dutch settlers of what later became New York, and later, by extension, to New Yorkers in general. Irving was from Manhattan, New York and was inspired that name from living there. The Knicks were never named off of the entire state, it was always based on the city.

2. The postal code for Manhattan is New York, NY as the postal code for Brooklyn is Brooklyn, NY.

3. And of course, the obvious the bias...There is two teams in NY that are fairly contenders (obviously, the Knicks are ahead than we are right now) so New York supremacy is up for grabs in terms of race to get a championship.

-New York City is New York... Manhatten is New York.... its one the largest cities in the country and the world... my postal code says massapequa, new york. If I'm reading this right your basing the acsention of brooklyn because your postal code is "brooklyn, NEW YORK"? What about Hamptons, ny? Staten Island, ny? Its all New york. I like the rivalry between the knicks and the nets. I honestly havnt hated a team like i hate the nets since the 90's rivalry with the bulls. To start calling the New York Knicks "manhatten Knicks" is dumb and ignorant. The nets are the little brother of new york and always will be. I'm not judging you on being a fan of the nets, but lets be real here. Most Net fans now were fair weather knick fans. Knicks are New York
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#23 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Paradise wrote:Here's why we say that (not trolling or nothing just informing) but there is three reasons:

1. The "Knickerbocker" name comes from the pseudonym used by Washington Irving in his book A History of New York, a name which became applied to the descendants of the original Dutch settlers of what later became New York, and later, by extension, to New Yorkers in general. Irving was from Manhattan, New York and was inspired that name from living there. The Knicks were never named off of the entire state, it was always based on the city.

2. The postal code for Manhattan is New York, NY as the postal code for Brooklyn is Brooklyn, NY.

3. And of course, the obvious the bias...There is two teams in NY that are fairly contenders (obviously, the Knicks are ahead than we are right now) so New York supremacy is up for grabs in terms of race to get a championship.

STFU there is no rivalry. You guys are trash. You are not contenders. Double OT to beat the freaking Pistons. You are have 0 cap space, 0 picks. You have this trash team that has Blatche and the man formerly known as Mr Kardashian as your starters. GTFO.

I have never hated a fan base as much as these idiot Nyet fans. They make a move and as if that makes them a better basketball team. You will always be a 2nd class citizen in NY. Btw no one in the world other than people in Brooklyn give a sh*t about Brooklyn.

If you meet people from around the world they equate NY with Manhattan NOT BROOKLYN. GTFO with this trash. You are not on our level and will never be.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#24 » by AmazingJason » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:STFU there is no rivalry. You guys are trash. You are not contenders. Double OT to beat the freaking Pistons. You are have 0 cap space, 0 picks. You have this trash team that has Blatche and the man formerly known as Mr Kardashian as your starters. GTFO.

I have never hated a fan base as much as these idiot Nyet fans. They make a move and as if that makes them a better basketball team. You will always be a 2nd class citizen in NY. Btw no one in the world other than people in Brooklyn give a sh*t about Brooklyn.

If you meet people from around the world they equate NY with Manhattan NOT BROOKLYN. GTFO with this trash. You are not on our level and will never be.

One problem. THERE IS NO FANBASE. There is no fanbase to even hate. They have a decent team, but nobody goes to the games. There are tons of $10-$25 tickets available. I personally don't know any Brooklyn Nets fans. I'll see people occasionally wearing some gear, but they're not even real fans of the team, lol. The truth is nobody really cares about them right now. Maybe in the future, but right now.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
BOOMbip
Banned User
And1: 170
Location: The views expressed are intended for entertaiment purposes only

Post#25 » by BOOMbip » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 pm

This reminds me of some dude who just moved to NY from NJ but wants to consider themselves a true NYer..... sorry bub, it doesn't happen just because you change addresses, that doesn't make you a true NYer... you are still a transplant.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#26 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:STFU there is no rivalry. You guys are trash. You are not contenders. Double OT to beat the freaking Pistons. You are have 0 cap space, 0 picks. You have this trash team that has Blatche and the man formerly known as Mr Kardashian as your starters. GTFO.

One problem. THERE IS NO FANBASE. There is no fanbase to even hate. They have a decent team, but nobody goes to the games. There are tons of $10-$25 tickets available. I personally don't know any Brooklyn Nets fans. I'll see people occasionally wearing some gear, but they're not even real fans of the team, lol. The truth is nobody really cares about them right now. Maybe in the future, but right now.

I was talking to the 5 guys who are nets fans including that vincecarter idiot who posts over on their board. If you look up delusional in the dictionary you will see his picture on it. :lol:
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#27 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:00 pm

BOOMbip wrote:This reminds me of some dude who just moved to NY from NJ but wants to consider themselves a true NYer..... sorry bub, it doesn't happen just because you change addresses, that doesn't make you a true NYer... you are still a transplant.

99% of manhattan are transplants. Then the Knicks don't have a true fanbase? :o :o
BOOMbip
Banned User

Post#28 » by BOOMbip » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Um....99%? Did you get that number from the Myass Statistical Foundation? Plus you can be a 'true fan' of the Knicks without being a true NYer.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User

Post#29 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:11 pm

BOOMbip wrote:Um....99%? Did you get that number from the Myass Statistical Foundation? Plus you can be a 'true fan' of the Knicks without being a true NYer.

It was hyperbole of course. But if you are in manhattan most people are not originally from there. They come from all walks of life.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,612

Post#30 » by DE FENSE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm

ctorres wrote:On a random note, I found out the other day that while the Nets were in Jersey during their first two years of existence in the ABA, they were the New York Nets from 1968 to 1977 based out of Long Island. I'm surprised that doesn't get mentioned here more often.

No offense to you, but I thought that was common knowledge. You know Dr. J played for that team too, right?
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,612

Post#31 » by DE FENSE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:17 pm

AmazingJason wrote:

Yeah, that fanbase needs a lot of work. Being at that game on Tuesday @ Barclays was a revelation.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#32 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:18 pm

DE FENSE wrote:
ctorres wrote:On a random note, I found out the other day that while the Nets were in Jersey during their first two years of existence in the ABA, they were the New York Nets from 1968 to 1977 based out of Long Island. I'm surprised that doesn't get mentioned here more often.

No offense to you, but I thought that was common knowledge. You know Dr. J played for that team too, right?

Yeah apparently it isn't common knowledge to most of their fans and media folk.

Even then the Knicks were always the NBA team of NY, the Nets were always second citizen, especially not being an original NBA team.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
BOOMbip
Banned User

Post#33 » by BOOMbip » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:18 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:
BOOMbip wrote:Um....99%? Did you get that number from the Myass Statistical Foundation? Plus you can be a 'true fan' of the Knicks without being a true NYer.

It was hyperbole of course. But if you are in manhattan most people are not originally from there. They come from all walks of life.

Yes, but you don't move to NY in September and by December you are all of a sudden a true NYer... :lol:

The Nets will always be swamp dwellers to me.... Bwahahahahaaaaaa
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#34 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:45 pm

F that.

It was ... is it ... and it will always be ... the "New York Knicks."
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 551

Post#35 » by Signature NYK » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Lol I live in NJ and have been a knick fan since I was 9 (currently 19). Screw Brooklyn
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#36 » by blumatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 pm

The Nets are orginally from New Jersey when they were known as the "New Jersey Americans" The red white and blue finally make sense.
HFromParis
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#37 » by HFromParis » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi,

First of all, sorry for my english (i'm french...)

I have a very serious question : who are the Nets fans ?

People who leave in Brooklyn were all Knicks fans since last year right ? So they can't change team just because the Nets went to Brooklyn.

So i repeat : who are they ?

Thanks for your answers.

Sacha
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#38 » by Hijinks » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Nets organisation needs to make an impact while they're new and interesting. That's why they try to represent BK as hard as they can. Also they know how proud brooklynites are, that's why they stirr up this s**t about the manhattan knicks. Everybody knows that the knicks with their history represent all 5 boroughs!!!
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#39 » by blumatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 pm

HFromParis wrote:Hi,

First of all, sorry for my english (i'm french...)

I have a very serious question : who are the Nets fans ?

People who leave in Brooklyn were all Knicks fans since last year right ? So they can't change team just because the Nets went to Brooklyn.

So i repeat : who are they ?

Thanks for your answers.

Sacha

As much as there are Knicks fans here they are Knick haters So they will gravitate to the Nets. And some are just Brooklyn proud. But our fanbase is not only larger it is very passionate. The passion for the Knicks is what separate from a lot of teams including the Nets.

I think "Nets fans" in Brooklyn are not there yet with the Nets. You can hear the fans passion in Miami, Atlanta, and D.C. through the TV. There is a fanbase but they dont represent for their team like Knick fans do. I mean look at the activity for this forum compared to others.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#40 » by Greenie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 am

badboy0624 wrote:
NYKinMIA wrote:

-New York City is New York... Manhatten is New York.... its one the largest cities in the country and the world... my postal code says massapequa, new york. If I'm reading this right your basing the acsention of brooklyn because your postal code is "brooklyn, NEW YORK"? What about Hamptons, ny? Staten Island, ny? Its all New york. I like the rivalry between the knicks and the nets. I honestly havnt hated a team like i hate the nets since the 90's rivalry with the bulls. To start calling the New York Knicks "manhatten Knicks" is dumb and ignorant. The nets are the little brother of new york and always will be. I'm not judging you on being a fan of the nets, but lets be real here. Most Net fans now were fair weather knick fans. Knicks are New York

Long Island stand up!

Return to New York Knicks