ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you do Pau for Amare right now?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Orange N Blue
Rookie
And1: 13

Re: Would you do Pau for Amare right now? 

Post#61 » by Orange N Blue » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 am

Orange N Blue wrote:We as Knick fans should be ashamed of ourselves.

Amare came off one of the most gruelling physical and mental seasons a player can go through and he still put up numbers David West put up in his prime WITHOUT A PG THAT CAN GET HIM THE BALL.

David West's best season: 08-09 which subsequently was CP3 best year

21ppg/8.5reb/2.3ast/.6stl/.9blk/47.2%FG/39.2MPG

STAT 2011-2012:
17.5ppg/7.8reb/1.1AST/.8stl/1Blk/48.3%FG/32,8MPG

Amare had in our minds a bad year but his STATS would surpass Wests if he had 39 MPG and like i said earlier WE HAD NO PG TO GIVE HIM THE BALL.

Theirs a difference between running a pick and roll to get assists and finding players spots on the floor, with J-LIN it was either pick and roll lob or a shot, he did not know how to orchestrate an offense so this hindered Amare significantly because all of his points were face-up jumpers or drives to the basket and he could never get the ball while on the move which is what his game is built around before anything else.

Amare is a guy that needs moment to be at his best, his ISO and Midrange come second but first we need to establish him in the PNR and with Lin and especially Douglas we could not do that at all.

Amare is a PICK AND ROLL BIGMAN THAT EVOLVED. His game at its core is PNR all game either a pick and pop or a foul or dunk/layup. Then when we establish that he can iso to open up the game even more. We keep acting as if Amare instantly became bad when just 2 years ago he was a legit MVP candidate and was unstoppable.

The play that we will see that will address the whole "can him and chandler work" is the the 2 high pick and rolls at the top of the keep, either the option to either use a chandler or STAT screen or the double screen play that Felton used alot in the first Brooklyn game(although he sucked and couldnt score off of the open shots he had).

Our team will be dominant with Amare and you guys will thank god Knicks FO/Management kept him. Our 3's will dwindle but our points in the paint and rebounding will improve.

Amare is one of the hardest workers in the league, his recovery from his knee injuries were similar to what AP is doing in Minnesota. Amare is one guy i can say will try his best every night, he may be defensively challenged but trust he will get better.
fdr2012
Banned User
And1: 70

Post#62 » by fdr2012 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 am

I don't think Pau/Chandler works. Pau can't guard most 4s in this league and neither can Chandler. On offense, Pau will take away a lot of our spacing.

If We did Pau for Amare, we would probably have Pau come off the bench for Chandler. I would at least give Amare a chance before doing it. Amare is the better fit.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#63 » by Capn'O » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:41 am

RodStrickland wrote:I don't know AmarƩ well enough to do Pau.

:lol: Pau Gasol sleeps with the fishes!

That being said, I'd rather NY play at least 20-30 games to find out if the top 8-9 (which would include AmarƩ and Shump) are a solid rotation. You have to give AmarƩ at least that chance.

Fantastic first post. Now STFU and GTFO!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#64 » by blueNorange » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 am

TheGarden wrote:I wanna see how STAT works out. People say spacing will be an issue but in reality we have great spacing with Ronnie fccuking Brewer in the game STAT is a better shooter and should thrive with Kidd/Felton, defense is a whole new story

clearly you don't understand what spacing means
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#65 » by gavran » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 am

blueNorange wrote:
TheGarden wrote:I wanna see how STAT works out. People say spacing will be an issue but in reality we have great spacing with Ronnie fccuking Brewer in the game STAT is a better shooter and should thrive with Kidd/Felton, defense is a whole new story

clearly you don't understand what spacing means

He was a point though, all Amar'e has to do is play SG/SF.
SweatbandP
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#66 » by SweatbandP » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Ronnie Brewer is constantly moving when he's on the floor. He's got great off-ball instincts and has shown an ability to hit the corner 3 when he's open. Plus, he's a wingman and he is a pretty damn good defender to make up for his lack of ability to really produce offense. Can't say those things about Amar'e.

Amar'e should be the undisputed focal point of the offense when he is on the floor, much like Carmelo now. I really think that a Prigioni-Amar'e PnR combo will be devastating. I wouldn't do Pau for Amar'e until I see how Amar'e performs this season, but I wouldn't play him alongside Melo and Chandler either, not at the same time anyway.
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#67 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm gonna be a b*tch and not address the thread title..

How did this thread work its way onto its 5th page???
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#68 » by UnderdogKnicks » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

U guys seem to be avoiding their contract situations. I'll be all over keeping Amare if his deal was the same as Pau but Pau's is 1 year shorter. Helps us rebuild the roster faster if Pau doesn't work out and no more worrying about Amare's injury for a year longer.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#69 » by truth serum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:38 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiice
truth serum
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#70 » by truth serum » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 pm

UnderdogKnicks wrote:U guys seem to be avoiding their contract situations. I'll be all over keeping Amare if his deal was the same as Pau but Pau's is 1 year shorter. Helps us rebuild the roster faster if Pau doesn't work out and no more worrying about Amare's injury for a year longer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that extra year on Amar'e's deal matters all that much. The final year of his contract is the final year of most of our remaining contracts, including Melo, Tyson and Kidd. That will be the year we'll be aiming to retool. If this current team remains on the up and up while our best players are still under contract, why are we in a rush to be able to retool this team before their run is over? Especially when we don't know for sure that Amar'e isn't going to come back and play at a very high level.

Haven't we learned anything about patience around here? The Knicks are at the top of the East right now, above the Heat, second best record in the NBA... and we're still trying to come up with trade proposals and strategies for rebuilding 3 years from now?
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#71 » by blumatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

I think some that have issues with spacing, clearly forgot what Melo and Amare looked like with a read point guard and Jeffries and Turiaf at center. Ya'll really forgot.

2nd Ronnie's offense is awful. He moves without the ball but he's doesnt really do anything with the ball on the move. He's in the paint with Tyson there with and and he's too short to really get it up there.

We are killing the league right now without STAT. But dont be fooled by our success thinking that we will be ok with Melo on the floor without Amare or another all-star caliber offensive player.

Do people think Tyson and Amare are gonna park themselves in the paint all day and not allow Melo room to penetrate. Is Melo gonna stay in the paint and not allow STAT to do his thing.

Amare is tall, quick, a great jump shooter, long twos. And i here that his 3point shooting is looking really good in practice.

There is never a spacing what when you have players that can shoot long. I remember last year people recommended and STAT for Dwight trade and have Tyson play power forward. That has spacing issues because Tyson and Dwight cant shoot long, thus even is you spread them out they would dare Tyson or Dwight to shoot.

I hope they dare Amare to shoot. I hope the disrespect him all day. Because he will knock them down. And if the rotate STAT, he is a more capable player with a defender on him than Brewer.
blumatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 787

Post#72 » by blumatic » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:19 pm

SweatbandP wrote:Ronnie Brewer is constantly moving when he's on the floor. He's got great off-ball instincts and has shown an ability to hit the corner 3 when he's open. Plus, he's a wingman and he is a pretty damn good defender to make up for his lack of ability to really produce offense. Can't say those things about Amar'e.

Amar'e should be the undisputed focal point of the offense when he is on the floor, much like Carmelo now. I really think that a Prigioni-Amar'e PnR combo will be devastating. I wouldn't do Pau for Amar'e until I see how Amar'e performs this season, but I wouldn't play him alongside Melo and Chandler either, not at the same time anyway.

Some good points here. I am more in favor in having STAT come off the bench but not as too the extent that some here and the national media. Many say STAT should come off the bench to avoid a line up with Melo and Tyson. I see it has, with the Knicks getting off to great starts, Melo exploding everytime the game starts. It would be a waste of resources to have Amare there because he would be running up and down using up his energy only to be tired when its time for Melo or Tyson to sit out.

Amare coming off the bench will continue to allow STAT to beast. I would love it if Melo got the MVP and STAT got 6th man. But Amare and Melo should be on the floor topgether at the end of games. Great defensive team with try to freeze out Melo. Having Amare on the floor will make defenses hesitant to double and if Melo gets stuck we got another guy that can get his own shot.
NYK_89
Assistant Coach
And1: 72

Post#73 » by NYK_89 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Problem is gasol needs to play the 5

All you people acting like he isn't a far better rebounder and defender though:lol:
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#74 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:05 pm

That being said, I'd rather NY play at least 20-30 games to find out if the top 8-9 (which would include AmarƩ and Shump) are a solid rotation. You have to give AmarƩ at least that chance.

hahaha. Underated post.
RodStrickland
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#75 » by RodStrickland » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am

Capn'O wrote:

:lol: Pau Gasol sleeps with the fishes!

Fantastic first post. Now STFU and GTFO!

GFY.

8-)
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#76 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 am

truth serum wrote:
UnderdogKnicks wrote:U guys seem to be avoiding their contract situations. I'll be all over keeping Amare if his deal was the same as Pau but Pau's is 1 year shorter. Helps us rebuild the roster faster if Pau doesn't work out and no more worrying about Amare's injury for a year longer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that extra year on Amar'e's deal matters all that much. The final year of his contract is the final year of most of our remaining contracts, including Melo, Tyson and Kidd. That will be the year we'll be aiming to retool. If this current team remains on the up and up while our best players are still under contract, why are we in a rush to be able to retool this team before their run is over? Especially when we don't know for sure that Amar'e isn't going to come back and play at a very high level.

Haven't we learned anything about patience around here? The Knicks are at the top of the East right now, above the Heat, second best record in the NBA... and we're still trying to come up with trade proposals and strategies for rebuilding 3 years from now?

wtf's a blue susan???
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,673

Post#77 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:36 pm

hell no
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
prs
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#78 » by prs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 pm

if you asked me like 9 games ago I'd be all over it but now I'm not so sure. I highly doubt even with the change of attitude on the team that Amar'e is gonna become a good defender. However, there have been several nights even when Melo is playing well that we could really use another reliable scorer.

I really think Amar'e can come back and be that scorer we need. Mostly because we now have Felton and Kidd. We already know Felton can play well with Amare and I'm sure Kidd can set him up just as well, and honestly Prigs will prolly be better for him than anyone we had last year lol.

But ya I still think he can have a significant positive impact on this team. I'd just want him in the game mostly when Melo/Chandler are on the bench and make sure one of those PG's are out there to set him up and he should fit in great. If Woodson can make him work in the starting lineup as well then more power to him but I think at the very least he can be a strong 6th man for us now.

Pau I really don't know whats going on with him and I'd be kind of sketchy taking him in return. A change of atmosphere will prolly help him a lot but who knows maybe it won't. Then we have another bum high paid PF but the bright side is even if hes a bum his contract is much shorter and easier to deal.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,882

Post#79 » by garrick » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:12 pm

The problem with Pau is he played ball in the summer so he's wore out right now. Does he have enough in the tank to play in the post season?
I think either deal is a gamble as both are not exactly at their best right now.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#80 » by moocow007 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:16 pm

The one shorter year doesn't really do **** for the Knicks unless the expectation is that they're going to grossly increase the cap by year 3. With the contracts of the guys they already have, with them needing to take JR Smith's re-up into account, after factoring in Iman Shumperts new contract, which will occur 2 years from now, shaving Stoudemire's contract off isn't going to do anything. In fact, it will actually create a void that, unless they are going to resign Gasol (as a 34 year old going on 35), they'll be hard pressed to fill. The only reason to do this is if you think that Stoudemire's knees are done, while Gasol's knees are not AND that Gasol will give you that much more production in the next 2 years over Stoudemire. As much as people think that Stoudemire had an off year last year, Gasol didn't look much better. And Stoudemire being out all season so far means little since Gasol is also out and looked turrible when he was in.

Return to New York Knicks