ImageImageImage

Derrick Williams: Time to Move On?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Derrick Williams: Stay or Go?

He didn't pan out and it's time to get value back while we can.
58%
Keep him! Only letting him go in the perfect deal.
42%

Total votes: 132

Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Re: Derrick Williams: Time to Move On? 

Post#301 » by Ming Kong! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Calinks wrote:If Igudola or something of that caliber comes along, move him. If anything like peanuts or role players/weak picks is being offered. Hell no. That includes someone like Varejao.

LOL the way Varejao is playing this year, makes this hilarious (though I know this was posted over the summer).
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,926

Post#302 » by shrink » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 am

Ming Kong! wrote:
Calinks wrote:If Igudola or something of that caliber comes along, move him. If anything like peanuts or role players/weak picks is being offered. Hell no. That includes someone like Varejao.

LOL the way Varejao is playing this year, makes this hilarious (though I know this was posted over the summer).

Yep he's playing great and worth more than this. However, just wait three weeks for his annual season-ending injury, and it will be an equally unbalanced a trade.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#303 » by Grits n Gravy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

oh boy
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... k-williams

some terrible mentions
williams for shannon brown
williams for anthony morrow and john jenkins
williams and barea/rid for isiah thomas and thornton
williams for austin rivers and jason smith
williams and ridnour for jason maxiell and austin daye
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#304 » by Esohny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:02 pm

The only one that improves the team is the Kings trade. And that's pretty poor value wise. The others are jokes, and that's coming from someone who wanted Williams traded last season.

The target should be JJ Redick.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#305 » by [RCG] » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 pm

I posted in the comment section. Some of those writers should examine the rosters of the teams before they propose dumb trades. I like Austin Rivers and John Jenkins but most of the proposals are garbage.

There is no reason to trade him straight up for older bench players who don't do anything to help us win. Williams is still two years younger than Damian Lilliard and Alexey Shved - I don't care what anyone else says he has the potential and I wouldn't mind continuing to develop him in practice and seeing him get more minutes during garbage time (as well as some meaningful minutes). We can reevaluate him at the end of his contract, the same time Love will have his opt-out and we can have flexibility during that situation.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#306 » by deliriousmouse » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:40 am

He looks so much more confident with Rubio out there. 12/5 on about 12 minutes.

it's not even because Rubio is feeding him looks, he just goes harder
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#307 » by GopherIt! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:38 am

Rubio + DWill = :love:
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#308 » by Piecake » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:41 am

Play Dwill with Rubio to increase his trade value
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,545

Post#309 » by Klomp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 am

“@APkrawczynski: Williams said it's the best he's felt since he's been here. "I just felt I had to step up a little more with Kevin out."”
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#310 » by FinnTheHuman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 am

Klomp wrote:“@APkrawczynski: Williams said it's the best he's felt since he's been here. "I just felt I had to step up a little more with Kevin out."”

That's nice to hear. I wanna see more DWill on PF, he looks great playing it.
Train
Senior
And1: 9

Post#311 » by Train » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 am

Had an okay game thanks to Rubio. Dw really needs play within himself a bit more rather than getting confident & then jacking up ****.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,118

Post#312 » by Calinks » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:40 am

Look at his body language tonight. I'm telling, you he looked like a 12 year old. He was so giddy and excited. At the halftime interview he couldn't even get his words out he was smiling and wanting to giggle so much. You would think he was playing at an all-star level or something all year the way he was enjoying himself. Fun to watch.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#313 » by southern wolf » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:45 am

As much as I've liked Cunningham, I think we should give his minutes to D-Will when Love gets back. He's showed a bit in the last week and he's obviously the bigger prospect.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#314 » by [RCG] » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 am

southern wolf wrote:As much as I've liked Cunningham, I think we should give his minutes to D-Will when Love gets back. He's showed a bit in the last week and he's obviously the bigger prospect.

Not only prospect but I feel like there are two ways it can go.

D.Will >> Cunningham when D.Will is on. (Obviously)
D.Will < Cunningham when D.Will isn't on.

Cunningham is more consistent so it makes more sense to see which version you're going to get first.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#315 » by Tekkenlaw » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:15 am

I don't think there is any better Love insurance than Williams, why not let him run out his rookie contract and go from there? It's not worth trading someone with D-Will's potential just to fill a few minor holes.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,118

Post#316 » by Calinks » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:46 am

We can give him some more PT but I don't think we need to be taking away all of Dante's minutes. Dante has been earning that since pre-season.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#317 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:25 am

Use Cunningham as AK's backup. He can defend SFs and has a jumper. Use Williams as Love's backup. Use Love as Pek's backup. Use Steamer only if we have injury or foul trouble.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,926

Post#318 » by shrink » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Tekkenlaw wrote:I don't think there is any better Love insurance than Williams, why not let him run out his rookie contract and go from there? It's not worth trading someone with D-Will's potential just to fill a few minor holes.

It is worth noting that Williams may give us hidden value that allows us to "lose" a trade, but still get better. For example, let me throw totally subjective numbers at you:

Love = 9
Trade Offer = 8
Trading Love meakes Derrick Williams go from a 3 to a 7.

Net effect of trade: -9 + 8 + 4 = +3

Now, let me point out a could things though. First, superstars are valuable because it allows you to get your value all on the floor, but concentrated in one of your five limited positions. Next, the Wolves are looking pretty deep, so adding a new player may push someone else to the bench and reduce his value.

I agree with Tekkenlaw's contention, and I'd love to find more opportunities for Williams. I'm just saying we need to be careful.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#319 » by Nitroglycerin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Still think he doesnt have the quickness to defend and a consistent jumpshot to be a three. Pek and love are locked in at the C and PF spot, so SF is the only available starting spot (if AK starts to decline but im positive its not very soon). But i think he's better at the 4. Hate the idea of him being traded but dont want him to be only a role player.
Trust the PRosas!
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#320 » by eyeteeth » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

I think Williams' developing maturity is a largely unnoticed story. His stat line from last night, for example, 16 pts on 5/9 shooting, 6 rebs, no PFs, 1 TO in 18 minutes.

I think he's always gonna be a PF, though, and not a SF, and I think that at some point the logic will be to trade him. Que cera cera.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves