The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#341 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Rubio back tonight ..kahn/adelman can get a better feel for the team if they need pau or not

JR : Next Gen
PistolP
Analyst
And1: 335

Post#342 » by PistolP » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:08 pm

shrink wrote:I was curious about that too. I think if the Lakers trade Gasol, they need to look for another productive vet who is also over-priced.

I never followed Pau rumors until they involved the wolves, so can someone educate me, and let me know if there have been anything official, or even rumored, and either team not wanting a deal starting between Gasol and Boozer?

Here you go:
The trade deadline is noon Thursday, and the Chicago Bulls became the most recent team to have discussions with the Lakers about Gasol.

The Bulls offered power forward Carlos Boozer and guard C.J. Watson, according to the Chicago Tribune, though the Lakers were not interested in Boozer's bloated contract (three more years, $47 million). Derrick Rose, last season's MVP, was not part of the conversation.

The Lakers countered by saying they would consider receiving at least two first-round picks, center Joakim Noah and another player believed to be Watson, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Neither team liked what the other proposed and the talks ended.

Link
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,956

Post#343 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:20 pm

PistolP wrote:
The Lakers countered by saying they would consider receiving at least two first-round picks, center Joakim Noah and another player believed to be Watson, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Link

Thanks PistolP!

Hard to believe this response, but if that's where the Lakers place Gasol's value, then I really doubt anyone's going to trade for him. Maybe that's for the best.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#344 » by loserX » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Derrick Rose, last season's MVP, was not part of the conversation.

LAST season's MVP?

EDIT -- oh, this is from the trade deadline last year. Well, Gasol's value is not now what it was then. I can't imagine the Lakers would still be thinking that's his value, but who knows.

That said, I still wouldn't trade Gasol for Boozer either. What problems does Boozer solve, other than not being Gasol?
shrink
RealGM

Post#345 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:35 pm

loserX wrote: EDIT -- oh, this is from the trade deadline last year. Well, Gasol's value is not now what it was then.

Thanks lx - I didn't notice the date either,
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Re: R: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#346 » by Alienware » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Do you think is possible to put together a framework centered around Pau Gasol and Rudy Gay?
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#347 » by AQuintus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Alienware wrote:Do you think is possible to put together a framework centered around Pau Gasol and Rudy Gay?

No, since Gay is significantly more valuable than Gasol and Memphis is winning.
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#348 » by Alienware » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 am

AQuintus wrote:
Alienware wrote:Do you think is possible to put together a framework centered around Pau Gasol and Rudy Gay?

No, since Gay is significantly more valuable than Gasol and Memphis is winning.

Yeah, right now is probably late. Would have been a good idea when the common believe was that Rudy wasn't a good fit with Zach Randolph.
torotoe
Sixth Man
And1: 184

Post#349 » by torotoe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 am

Taking the same offer from the previous page and including Toronto.

Chandler, mozgov, brewer and koufos for gasol, filler
Bargnani for Chandler, mozgov
Gasol, cheap filler for Bargnani, brewer, Koufos.
Cashin out
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#350 » by Cashin out » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 am

Gasol/Hill for Wallace/Humphries/Brooks?
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#351 » by ak7 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 am

Cashin out wrote:Gasol/Hill for Wallace/Humphries/Brooks?

The value is there for LA, problem is, Humphries next to Dwight is worse than Gasol. So I can't see them doing this. Also, Brooklyn might be giving up too much, as they would have a huge hole at the 3, and would no longer match up with MIA.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#352 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 pm

After the deadline Gasol will be a Raptor book it

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#353 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:12 am

Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#354 » by Jajwanda » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 am

L.A. should be looking at big defensive SFs. Having MWP at the 4 has changed their defense completely. If they could get someone better than Devin Ebanks as a tweener at the 3 that would really kick start things.
shrink
RealGM

Post#355 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 am

GhostX wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d29n2hy

Good for you! You're just not going to give up that Pek + Derrick Williams bone, are you?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#356 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 am

Doesn't make sense for the Wolves. They aren't trading Pekovic for Gasol.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#357 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 am

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach

Post#358 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:31 am

shrink wrote:

Good for you! You're just not going to give up that Pek + Derrick Williams bone, are you?

Shrink where theres smoke theres fire my friend....i cant wait till the deadline either way just to see how this plays out

CGYballer
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#359 » by CGYballer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am

GhostX wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d4thurb

This is a bad trade for Toronto and way too good for LA. Take Ross out and it is better but then I don't see Indiana doing it.
Chest Rockwell
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#360 » by Chest Rockwell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:34 pm

LAL out: Pau Gasol

DAL out: Shawn Marion, Roddy Beabouis, Domenique Jones

Why for LA:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...hy-it-happened

Zach Lowe/Grantland:
The slowness of the Lakers hints at what might just be a structural problem that won?t go away without yet another major roster change: Pau Gasol is a center, and he?s sharing the floor with another center. That has consequences on both ends. On defense, the consequences have mostly been in transition, where the Lakers have been slow. Howard, much faster and more athletic than Bynum, would have mitigated the damage there once healthy.

This is a couple of weeks old, but still very true imo: Gasol is bad fit as a PF for a Team that is coached by Mike D'Antoni while Steve Nash is running the show. I doubt that the Lakers get perfect fits like Ryan Anderson or legit Stars in any trade, when they send out Gasol. Marion obv isnt the player he was in Phoenix, but he can still contribute. He is a great rebounder [esp. for his size] & defender, still good at finishing at the rim and can hit open 3s from the corners. -> depends if the Lakers think, that he is a good fit as a 4 playing alongside D.Howard.

Roddy plays bad in Dallas. Needs a change of the scenario: might bring some depth, low risk/ some upside.

Jones: Filler & exp.

Why for Dallas:

Gasol and Dirk both expire in 2014. Cuban is willing to spent and Dallas probably wont get Howard[arguably the only FA in 2013, that can give Dallas the 100% Contender-status - if healthy. perfect fit with Dirk, but questionable attitude and sense of humour] or Chris Paul, given their FA track record.

Dirk and Gasol both dont need high quality playmaking. Both are good passers [Gasol is great at passing] and their personalities seem to mesh well. On defence, they are nowhere near perfect fits. I dont know if that could work, but Dallas can change schemes with Wright and Brand. If it works out [health, fits, additional trades] Dallas could be able to create another contender around a healthy Dirk. Dallas keeps their 2014 flexibility [Dirk will sign a cheap contact], but needs to get a athletic SF with additional trades [Wright/Kaman] or awesome production by Crowder.

They keep their bench scoring with Kaman/Carter. Mayo will have more room to operate and get great looks from 3 [for any shooter], given the high quality passing of their bigs. Defence is obv the big questionmark, but Kaman is a bad defensive fit for Dirk anyway and they wont get anyone who gives them anything close to what they got out of Chandler.

additional notes:

This is the first trade I post on the internet. Please give me some educated feedback. My trade idea is centred around the assumption that Gasol is hard to trade anyway [not interesting for rebuilding teams, very expansive for any team] and wont bring a Star or young player with upside to LA. I would not bring back OJ Mayo on a monster contact in the summer of 2013, and even consider trading him if the offer is great (no non-rookie-contacts that expire past 2014).

Return to Trades and Transactions