Indiana small trade for a backup PG

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Crowman
Junior
And1: 2

Indiana small trade for a backup PG 

Post#1 » by Crowman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:54 pm

who is out there?

our assets:
DJ Augustin
Tyler Hansbrough
Orlando Johnson
Miles Plumlee
1st round pick

can we get any decent backup PG with a collection or something of those assets ?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,350

Re: Indiana small trade for a backup PG 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 pm

You can have Collison back.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,029

Post#3 » by shrink » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 pm

With Rubio coming back, MIN has two pretty good back-ups available in JJ Barea and Luke Ridnour. It seems like either would have a lot more value on IND than in MIN.

Any expiring and a protected 1st would be fine -- I don't see any room here any of these players.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 pm

shrink wrote:With Rubio coming back, MIN has two pretty good back-ups available in JJ Barea and Luke Ridnour. It seems like either would have a lot more value on IND than in MIN.

Any expiring and a protected 1st would be fine -- I don't see any room here any of these players.

Wolves are probably one of the best suitors for what you're looking for, I agree. Bobcats have Sessions/Walker, Mavs have some guard-types.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#5 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Toney Douglas for DJA + your first.

Toney Douglas looks like he's bouncing back from last year. 13.7 ppg on 48% shooting so far for December.

Even though DJA is playing like ass this season, Rockets will take the short-term downgrade to stockpile more assets for our next big move.
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
King Amelie
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by King Amelie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Even if the Pacers make the playoffs, which they probably will, that pick will end up in the teens. Do you really think players like Douglas, Barea, and Ridnour would bring back value like this?

The Pacers traded a 2nd round pick for Barbosa last season. I can't see them giving up anything more than that for players of this caliber.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#7 » by [RCG] » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm

King Amelie wrote:Even if the Pacers make the playoffs, which they probably will, that pick will end up in the teens. Do you really think players like Douglas, Barea, and Ridnour would bring back value like this?

The Pacers traded a 2nd round pick for Barbosa last season. I can't see them giving up anything more than that for players of this caliber.

Barea and Ridnour are pretty good for what they are. They can certainly help out a playoff team.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM

Post#8 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:27 am

King Amelie wrote:Even if the Pacers make the playoffs, which they probably will, that pick will end up in the teens. Do you really think players like Douglas, Barea, and Ridnour would bring back value like this?

Well, IND would certainly lottery-protect it, but what level of player do you expect for a non-lotto pick? I think a strong back-up is in that area, or an occasional starter. For example, the wolves traded the #18 pick to add Chase Buddinger this year - a comparable player I'd say.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#9 » by magic wand time » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:05 am

Wasn't DJA signed as the backup PG?
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Pacersike » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 am

magic wand time wrote:Wasn't DJA signed as the backup PG?

No, he was signed because he can be useful to the other team the Pacers are looking to trade with.

Ridnour, Collison, Barea I would welcome them all (back). Top 20 protection on the pick?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#11 » by KF10 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 am

Aaron Brooks, Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette?
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Pacersike wrote:Ridnour, Collison, Barea I would welcome them all (back). Top 20 protection on the pick?

Top 20 seems like a fair number to end up at.

Indiana really needs some help at back-up PG, and if one of these guys doesn't help the Pacers get firmly into the play-offs in the East, then they deserve to not get the pick.

You may want to just stop here because IND got what it needed, but you could improve a trade by creating more value by making it a three-way as well. MIN doesn't need the Top-20 prot. 1st either, so they'd probably use it to get a back-up - perhaps at center. If not, they may combine it with Derrick Williams and send it to a rebuilding team for a starter-worthy player, like Williams + top 20 for Afflalo.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#13 » by vege » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:47 pm

What about Rodney Stuckey and Kim English for D.J. Augustine, Gerald Green and that 1st?

Stuckey could start while Granger is out and once he is back he could go to the bench as the 6th man.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#14 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 pm

magic wand time wrote:Wasn't DJA signed as the backup PG?

yes, but he hasn't worked out. he's now benched and Ben Hansbrough has the position for now.

we're not trading a first round pick for a backup and particularly a backup who isn't even playing for his current team. a second round pick is the most you can expect.

my guess is that the Pacers limp on to the trading deadline. if Granger is healthy by then, we could offer Green or Young. right now without Danny we need their minutes but we expect that to change.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#15 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:03 am

vege wrote:What about Rodney Stuckey and Kim English for D.J. Augustine, Gerald Green and that 1st?

Stuckey could start while Granger is out and once he is back he could go to the bench as the 6th man.

Seriously? I'd be down with that. But I'm higher on Stuckey than most.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 am

KF10 wrote:Aaron Brooks, Isaiah Thomas, Jimmer Fredette?

All could be interesting at the right price. What would Sacto be looking for? Would that top-20 first that Pacersike is hawking be of interest?
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:13 am

King Amelie wrote:The Pacers traded a 2nd round pick for Barbosa last season. I can't see them giving up anything more than that for players of this caliber.

Correction: 2nd round pick AND cap space. Indy had cap space last season, enough to absorb Barbosa's $7.6m cap number (and the remaining salary that hasn't been paid yet) without sending any back. That's a pretty substantial financial incentive (considering you could buy a late first for $3m).

Sure I'm hoping that DJA's expiring (and/or maybe THans' expiring) is sufficient incentive to pry someone like Barea or Brooks, but I don't think giving up a late first as well is paying too much.

Return to Trades and Transactions