Bradley Beal

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#661 » by Knighthonor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 pm

montestewart wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:I say Beal should be forced to take at least 20 shots per game, or be fined.

And Crawford should be forced to drive to the basket 10 times per game or be fined.

thats should develop those two into something that the Wizard's need.

I think the Wizards should be forced to win more, or be fined.

that would be pretty bad decision for a team thats trying to tank for rebuilding.

Wiggins is next season. you do know that right?
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#662 » by Knighthonor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Jay81 wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:Hey do Dleague players get practice time with the NBA teams?
if so, I wouldnt mind sending him and vesley to the Dleague, to get more mins of play time to improve, while keeping practice with the Wizards.
Especially Vesly. I am liking how Beal is turning out. Would like him to play more and shoot more.
And with Vesly, I feel that Wall's passing makes Vesly better player, and since Wall not there, Vesly's assist isnt showing. So best to develop him, and give him more play time.

Wall cant make Vesley a better player. he can give him more dunks but how is that really improving Jans game?

Wizards were one of the top teams in Fast Break Points.

And Those toss downs to Jan from Wall, was part of that.

Why break what you were good at if it was a good thing?

Perfect it.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#663 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:03 am

Knighthonor wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:I say Beal should be forced to take at least 20 shots per game, or be fined.

And Crawford should be forced to drive to the basket 10 times per game or be fined.

that would be pretty bad decision for a team thats trying to tank for rebuilding.

Wiggins is in high school. yYu do know that, right? If he goes #1 in 2014, Wizards fans will have suffered through a sixth straight HORRIBLE season. The team will have at best a 25% chance of getting him, and even then, he'll be surrounded by the same crew of hobbled and/or overpaid and/or otherwise disappointing players, and the team will still be owned by Leonsis and run by Grunfeld. They're aren't losing in order to tank, they're losing because they're unable to do anything else. Unless Wiggins is Lebron, Kobe, or MJ good (and I have no reason yet to think he is) it'll barely put a dent in this team's problems. If he is that good, he'll still have a lot to overcome, and he may just take the first train out of town.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#664 » by Knighthonor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 am

montestewart wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Wiggins is in high school. yYu do know that, right? If he goes #1 in 2014, Wizards fans will have suffered through a sixth straight HORRIBLE season. The team will have at best a 25% chance of getting him, and even then, he'll be surrounded by the same crew of hobbled and/or overpaid and/or otherwise disappointing players, and the team will still be owned by Leonsis and run by Grunfeld. They're aren't losing in order to tank, they're losing because they're unable to do anything else. Unless Wiggins is Lebron, Kobe, or MJ good (and I have no reason yet to think he is) it'll barely put a dent in this team's problems. If he is that good, he'll still have a lot to overcome, and he may just take the first train out of town.[/quote]
well he looking like it.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... s_Unbeaten

I dont care about 25%. its still a lotto Draft. that means a chance at top of the line talent.
Especially with the star talent of today aging every season. not long for the lower lotto teams to make a comeback.

You are too negative. Think about the positive for once. maybe it would be less stressful.

I would like to see the Wizards game be entertaining, if they going to lose. and right now, its not there yet.
But Wiggins is shaping up nicely so far.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#665 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 am

Resignation, as opposed to despondency, is not particularly stressful, and it frees my mind from emotions that disrupt logical realism. The Wizards owner and GM are incompetent, dishonest, and dysfunctional. Why would I try to be positive about that? The Clippers went the lottery route for years, with little to show for it, and now you're calling for the 4th consecutive tank year?

Besides, five minutes ago you said everyone was a bust. Fan-based mood swings?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#666 » by DCZards » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Rotoworld columnist Matt Stroup is the latest bball writer to show BB some love:

Quick anecdote: Over the summer, I was watching Bradley Beal in a preseason game. On one possession, I caught a glimpse of his explosiveness going to the rim, and thought to myself, “That guy is gonna be good.”

I’ve never told that story to anyone before, probably because it’s not that interesting. But I bring it up because that glimpse of potential has turned into a full-blown Beal bonanza even faster than I would have expected. With John Wall (knee) still uncertain (and headed for a doctor’s visit on Friday), and A.J. Price out with a broken hand, the 19-year-old Beal (whose name rhymes with “real” and “deal”) has posted 17.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.5 bpg and 1.8 treys in his last four games.

Granted, he’s still not shooting wonderfully (41.1 percent during this four-game streak), and the normal rookie caveats regarding inconsistency still apply, but at this point I’d be pretty annoyingly excited if I drafted Beal or added him off waivers in a fantasy league. Things will get more crowded whenever Wall does return, but the (always) rebuilding Wizards would have to be insane to limit the minutes of the dynamic No. 3 overall pick.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#667 » by tontoz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Commenting on playing Bryant and Wade on consecutive nights:

“I’m enjoying it, honestly. Just to face these guys — the greatest guys to ever play,” said Beal, who added Heat guard Ray Allen into the discussion. “I’m really just stealing a lot of moves from them and their mentality, and their smartness on the court.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Gotta love that. I also like the way he was getting after them defensively.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#668 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm

tontoz wrote:Commenting on playing Bryant and Wade on consecutive nights:

“I’m enjoying it, honestly. Just to face these guys — the greatest guys to ever play,” said Beal, who added Heat guard Ray Allen into the discussion. “I’m really just stealing a lot of moves from them and their mentality, and their smartness on the court.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

Gotta love that. I also like the way he was getting after them defensively.

+1. If there's one thing I've been happy about overall is his defense. The non-boxing out on Kobe though for that tip in off of Dwight's missed FT is inexcusable.

The bit of the Heat game I did watch, he made shots tough on Wade and stayed in front of him.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#669 » by dobrojim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 pm

the only marginally bright spot in a dismal season

with the revelation that he could have been traded for Harden,
I hope that doesn't mess with his head too much. That's a lot of
expectation for anyone.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#670 » by Knighthonor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 pm

dobrojim wrote:the only marginally bright spot in a dismal season

with the revelation that he could have been traded for Harden,
I hope that doesn't mess with his head too much. That's a lot of
expectation for anyone.

that should be a booster.

You could have been traded for a star NBA player. Clearly you have value in other's eyes than.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#671 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:46 pm

This kid plays good defense and plays hard every night. Even when his shot isn't falling his all around game is impressive.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#672 » by BruceO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm

So if he's playing D well, rebounding and assisting well lately and scoring a reasonable amount but off poor percentages we can live with that? Hopefully just like college it was a slow start. I'd rather be wrong about wanting us not to draft him and hopefully he pans out to be a good all around player which is possible. He won't be a superstar but we can trust him to start or even be a sixth man of the year and carry the second team like Manu and harden did originally.

I really would like shabazz so we can play him in tandem with wall and beal as a the 1 2 and 3 or 1 and 2 with Beal backing them. Then we have an advantage at the gaurd spot. And never have to think of it again as far as serious overhauling team building
OffTheWall2
Junior
And1: 116

Post#673 » by OffTheWall2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 pm

I gotta say with as disappointing a season as this has been (and I had really low expectations coming in) that Beal has been a bright spot for me. I think he is going to be a really good player in this league, he seems to go about his business in the right way and seems pretty mature overall. I see him growing into a really solid player.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#674 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Beal remains a TERRIBLE shooter. I'm so sick of watching him brick open looks.

He's the exact opposite of what I expected. I was hoping for a good spot up shooter who would probably be a bit lacking in other aspects of the game. What we've got is a pretty good all around player who defends, hits the glass, passes pretty well, and can get to the rim; but he can't shoot a lick. The guy barely hits the rim sometimes.

I guess the good news is that shooting improves over time to a greater degree than defense, passing and rebounding; so maybe he'll pan out to be okay. But in the meantime, I'm at the point where I cringe every time he takes a perimeter shot.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#675 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:39 pm

This could be completely off, but it seems to me that Beal is finding that he needs to speed up his release - and that's throwing off his shot. When he releases in rhythm his shot looks good and goes in frequently. When he's rushed (or rushes the shot while open), his shot looks really bad.

Hopefully that's something he can adjust. He may never be a marksman at this level, even if he does... but a serviceable shooter with a strong all-around game is still a good piece to have.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#676 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Everything is an adjustment for Beal. The NBA is tough. Young guards struggle initially. Here are the shooting percentages of the AVERAGE young rookie guard through his first 22 games (YRG defined as rookies 20-years old or younger -- Beal is 19) and Beal through his first 22 games:

Code: Select all

YRG     efg     2pt%    3pt%    FT%
AVG     .443    .438    .306    .756
Beal    .413    .388    .305    .843
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#677 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

nate33 wrote:Beal remains a TERRIBLE shooter. I'm so sick of watching him brick open looks.

He's the exact opposite of what I expected. I was hoping for a good spot up shooter who would probably be a bit lacking in other aspects of the game. What we've got is a pretty good all around player who defends, hits the glass, passes pretty well, and can get to the rim; but he can't shoot a lick. The guy barely hits the rim sometimes.

I guess the good news is that shooting improves over time to a greater degree than defense, passing and rebounding; so maybe he'll pan out to be okay. But in the meantime, I'm at the point where I cringe every time he takes a perimeter shot.

He is 19 and hasn't even finished his 2nd month in the league. Get a grip.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#678 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm

tontoz wrote:
nate33 wrote:Beal remains a TERRIBLE shooter. I'm so sick of watching him brick open looks.

He is 19 and hasn't even finished his 2nd month in the league. Get a grip.

What?

I'm supposed to ignore the fact that a guy we drafted specifically because he was touted as a shooter, can't shoot? Even at age 19, shooters should be able to shoot when open. For goodness sake, Trevor Booker was a better shooter last year from 10-23 feet than Beal is right now.

I was totally prepared for him to suffer at other things like defense, ball handling, and getting to the rim; but the kid isn't even knocking down open looks. I'll commend him for exceeding my expectations on defense, rebounding and penetrating (ball handling is a bit suspect though).
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#679 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Booker was also 23 years old and had 4 years of college basketball experience.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#680 » by Halcyon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:40 pm

I'm with nate, at this point it's kind of alarming that his supposed best asset is nothing more than average. With that said, I am confident he will improve his jumper over time. We may not have a Ray Allen, but Beal might still turn out to be a very good, all-around player. He seems like a pretty smart player, so I'm confident he'll work on his game and get better. We just have to adjust our expectations for him, in terms of a "pure" shooter in the mold of Ray Allen.

My greatest fear was that he'd end up more like Randy Foye than a guy like Ray Allen/Eric Gordon, and I think he's definitely much closer to the latter guys than the former.

Return to Washington Wizards