ImageImageImage

Jose Calderon wants out

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Re: Jose Calderon wants out 

Post#21 » by [RCG] » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:I am not a fan of these small upgrades. Breaking good relations in the locker room, possibly good friendships for a small individial quality upgrade could possibly mean downgrade. Trade only if there's a big quality difference.

The main point of the trade is the cap-space it opens up at the end of the season rather than a clear talent upgrade.

Roy's deal is now expiring but D.Will (4.8) Ridnour (4) Barea (4.3) all have contracts running past this year that could be cleared in order to pay Pekovic & Budinger. If I had my way we'd clear Ridnour for sure. Sign Budinger then match/re-sign Pek.

Rubio/Barea/Shved
Budinger/Shved/Lee
Kirilenko/Budinger/Cunningham
Love/Williams/Cunningham
Pekovic/Stiemsma
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#22 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 am

Yes, I am sorry I wasn't clear on the cap space part of the story - if you ask me, this is the season in which we should not think about the next season at all. This is the season where we can do really big things, and that's why I wouldn't take any trade risk that could mess up team chemistry. I might be too much of a paranoid, but that's just my view.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#23 » by karch34 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:02 am

Agree with RCG in that its a cap space trade. Not necessarily against it, but moving two average backup PGs for one that's paid twice as much for a third as long isn't as exciting as moving Ridnour/Barea for Lee.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,002

Post#24 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 am

I would rather move Roy's expiring + Ridnour or Barea too, rather than Ridnour AND Barea, but let me break it down why the latter isn't so bad.

Production-wise, with Rubio out, Ridnour and Barea get enough minutes to produce their 5's - average production. When Rubio is getting 30 minutes a game, One may produce a 5, and the other may produce a 2.

Calderon (imo), is a bit better than either Ridnour or Barea, and may produce a 6. The third string PG will likely only get enough minutes to produce a 2, so that total is 8 .. a small improvement this year.

In the future, this becomes a bigger deal. Obviously if we have both ridnour and Barea as back-ups next year, one is not going to be getting enough minutes to deserve his salary, and his trade value will decline from lack of minutes.

This year we lose financially, and lose in trade value, so we should probably get a little extra. However, we get a few little perks too. We get to see how Calderon and Ricky play together and learn from each other (maybe off-court stuff), and if we want to keep him here, we have his Bird rights. We also get a roster spot, to find another healthy body at SG.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#25 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 am

Let me ask this. Say we could get an expiring and a Top 20 protected pick from a third team for either Ridnour or Barea.

Would you prefer a three-team trade where we send out Ridnour AND Barea and get Calderon and a pick?

Or would you rather trade Roy + Ridnour OR Barea, and get Calderon and no pick?

To me, they seem about the same as far as value, but perhaps the pick could be traded in a package to add more talent at the deadline?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#26 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 am

I just dont want calderon to be traded to the lakers. Lakers need to screw up some more to improve our chances of making the playoffs.
Trust the PRosas!
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 681

Post#27 » by karch34 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 am

shrink wrote:Let me ask this. Say we could get an expiring and a Top 20 protected pick from a third team for either Ridnour or Barea.

Would you prefer a three-team trade where we send out Ridnour AND Barea and get Calderon and a pick?

Or would you rather trade Roy + Ridnour OR Barea, and get Calderon and no pick?

To me, they seem about the same as far as value, but perhaps the pick could be traded in a package to add more talent at the deadline?

Ridnour and Barea for Calderon and a pick would be my choice. Only because that pick could then be moved with Roy in another deal and acquiring Calderon would make the Rid/JJB to highly paid to be a 3rd PG for them not to be moved.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#28 » by [RCG] » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 am

Shrink,

Do you have any rough cap numbers for this offseason? So we could judge what we would gain with say:
Everyone
w/out Ridnour
w/out Barea
w/out both
etc.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
shrink
RealGM

Post#29 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 am

(removed to avoid confusion -- Saltine nails it)
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#30 » by [RCG] » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am

I have 11 players for the first figure.

Trading Ridnour and Barea would open up ~$9 million, $14 million including Williams.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#31 » by Saltine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 am

the numbers are here;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... U1E&gid=19

Those numbers in Shrink's post are off by a few million.

$14,693,906 - Love
$10,219,420 - Kirilenko
$5,016,960 - Williams
$4,687,000 - Barea
$4,320,000 - Ridnour
$3,678,358 - Rubio
$3,066,667 - Shved
$884,293 - Lee

$46,566,604 for 8 guys

$2,690,875 Steimsa - not guaranteed
$2,180,000 Cunningham - team option

51,437,479 Assuming Steamer and Dante are kept and Roy isn't

$5,532,900 Roy - not guaranteed

Cap Holds;
$9,190,680 - Pekovic
$1,681,728 - Chase
$884,293 - Howard
$884,293 - Amundson

66,437,479 Assuming Pek and Chase get about $15 million between them (12 guys)

$69.6 million assuming a draft pick and 2 minimum guys.

Luxury tax may be as high as $73 million according to Cuban, or as low as $70.3 million.
So we only have issues if they keep Roy, and don't move Luke...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#32 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 am

Am I bad for not wanting to make any trades until the offseason?

I know people don't think we need both Ridnour and Barea or Cunningham and Williams, but in a way I disagree.

Rather than looking at it as having two backup point guards and two backup point guards, I would rather look at the skillsets each of them provide, which in both cases are quite different from each other.

At PG, we have a calming influence (Ridnour) and a firecracker (Barea), a spot-up shooter, and a slasher. I wouldn't want Ridnour trying to do what Barea does because we traded Barea, or vice-versa.

Its a similar situation at PF, with Cunningham able to provide defensive energy and Williams able to provide the offensive energy. Williams is a versatile scorer, while Cunningham is relegated to spot-up duty.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#33 » by C.lupus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Klomp wrote:Am I bad for not wanting to make any trades until the offseason?

I know people don't think we need both Ridnour and Barea or Cunningham and Williams, but in a way I disagree.

Rather than looking at it as having two backup point guards and two backup point guards, I would rather look at the skillsets each of them provide, which in both cases are quite different from each other.

At PG, we have a calming influence (Ridnour) and a firecracker (Barea), a spot-up shooter, and a slasher. I wouldn't want Ridnour trying to do what Barea does because we traded Barea, or vice-versa.

Its a similar situation at PF, with Cunningham able to provide defensive energy and Williams able to provide the offensive energy. Williams is a versatile scorer, while Cunningham is relegated to spot-up duty.

I'm good with holding off for now and reassessing things at the trade deadline.
Nitroglycerin
Starter
And1: 528

Post#34 » by Nitroglycerin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Good game btw by calderon againts rox.
18/10/14 . Leads league in triple double? :o
Trust the PRosas!
shrink
RealGM

Post#35 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

[RCG] wrote:I have 11 players for the first figure.

I used the numbers from the thread three weeks ago, and now consider Roy to just be an expiring contract. I took out the money, but I forgot to remove his name.

Saltine wrote: Those numbers in Shrink's post are off by a few million.

Thanks Saltine! After I checked, you're right on the nose.

I used three sites for salary, wyn, sham, and storyteller, and when there was disagreement, majority ruled. These numbers sometimes change as new info comes out - for example, it looks like shved's has flipped 2-to-1 to the $3,066,667 number, while it remains $3,150,000 on storyteller.

I'll go back and double-check the numbers later though, because new info may have come out since then, or it's certainly possible I just mixed things up. I've been doing a lot of frustrating permutations on my spreadsheet considering the Pau Gasol trade.
shrink
RealGM

Post#36 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 pm

C.lupus wrote:
Klomp wrote:Am I bad for not wanting to make any trades until the offseason?

I'm good with holding off for now and reassessing things at the trade deadline.

I think that's perfectly reasonable as well. I'd also mention it seems like a waste of Glen Taylor's money for a small upgrade, and we'd be trading two fairly priced players for one unfairly priced one, so there's plenty of reason to not do this trade as well.
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:07 pm

To add onto Saltine's perfect 2013-14 breakdown:

Saltine wrote:66,437,479 Assuming Pek and Chase get about $15 million between them (12 guys)

$69.6 million assuming a draft pick and 2 minimum guys.

Luxury tax may be as high as $73 million according to Cuban, or as low as $70.3 million.
So we only have issues if they keep Roy, and don't move Luke...

Aside from Pek and Buddinger, there are two more costs that it would be nice to have money for:

1. $1.1? mil The better of the MIN or MEM pick.

2. $5.15 mil Use the MLE - a valuable chance to add talent without giving up talent (trade) or using a pick.

Now, we may be able to save money by cutting Cunningham or Steimsma, but I think both have been worth their contract, so it would be nice to do some kind of consolidation trade. Next year, if we do nothing, we'll have $9 mil tied up in our #2 and #3 PGs, and it would be nice to access that money.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#38 » by Saltine » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm

I think they keep Dante and Steamer, both are cheap, replacements at their price wouldn't be any better, and would probably be worse, especially considering how cheap Dante is.
I expect Luke and Derrick are the most likely to leave, but I think Kahn is correct, best to see how Derrick clicks with Ricky before making any decisions, he certainly seemed ecstatic to have Ricky back.

And we need to see if Roy has anything left in the tank...

I think they can easily move Luke to make cap space if they need too.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves