ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#421 » by sashae » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that involves the wearing down of the cartilage (the protective covering on the ends of your bones.)

"Stress reaction" == "osteoarthritis" apparently.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#422 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

sashae wrote:This is a treatment for ARTHRITIC CONDITIONS OF THE KNEE. Is anyone else bothered by this?!?

He's 22-years old. Sounds about like Wizards luck. Pretty much worst-case, just what you don't want to hear if you're a Wizards fan. :-?

Bothered? :cry:

Ted, please sell. Move this team to Anchorage, Alaska, so I can move on. :(
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#423 » by AFM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:04 pm

You aren't a doctor. :roll: This is good news.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#424 » by jivelikenice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

So everyone expected surgery and instead we got that he's going to ramp up his activity level, yet ppl are still pissed? What am I missing? You folks aren't doctors. If you research any injury an athlete has you'll find terminology and potential outcomes that might scare folks. The team is in no way rushing him back and I think they would absolutely shut him down if they had any serious concerns. He's instead being cleared to pick up activity and is on course to return. I blame the organization for a lot, but now you guys are reaching.

Making sense out of the lack of recent activity, it seems as thoughit coincided with the series of injections he had which would logically make you conlude he had to shut it down during the treatment. Now that the result has been positive, he's back on track for a return to the court. You obviously don't go from nothing to practice, so this makes sense....
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#425 » by jivelikenice » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
sashae wrote:This is a treatment for ARTHRITIC CONDITIONS OF THE KNEE. Is anyone else bothered by this?!?

He's 22-years old. Sounds about like Wizards luck. Pretty much worst-case, just what you don't want to hear if you're a Wizards fan. :-?

Bothered? :cry:

Ted, please sell. Move this team to Anchorage, Alaska, so I can move on. :(

CCJ, you do realize that Blake has had multiple surgeries and still has his athleticism....Wall's injury was similar in nature, but was caught prior to the need for surgery. Acting as though this is the nail in John's career is ridiculous. Level headedness folks!!!
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#426 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 am

I agree with you- this indicates that John has messed up cartilage on top of the stress injury. Look at what Altcheck has used hylan for in the past year- Andrew Bynum's messed up knee cartilage.

Hopefully some one in the media will pick up on this and get some straight answers- about the only good thing that has come out of this season is that the Wiz have screwed things up so much that people are finally demanding some accountability.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#427 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 am

Randy said Wall will ramp it up. Run and shoot but no contact.

Then they will check him again.
Mickstix
Junior
And1: 27

Post#428 » by Mickstix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:50 am

So he's 22 and already arthritic in his knees? Anyone else wonder if him hitting the floor every time he drives to the basket has anything to do with it? From the little bit I saw of him last year, I'd guess 85% of his drives to the hoop end with him in a heap, on the floor.. If he's already arthritic, I dont see how he'll ever recover fully (and stay healthy) unless he changes his game drastically.. I guess the diagnosis doesn't sound that bad on the surface, but color me concerned none the less. (It is a DC franchise after all)
Mick
Earth2Ted
Junior
And1: 58

Post#429 » by Earth2Ted » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Ric Bucher tweets that they are looking at Wall coming back New Years best case and all star break worst case. They are still sticking to the patellar tendon only story. I am still thinking that he has both patellar tendon and cartilage problems until an actual authority like Altcheck explicitly says, no- John does NOT have any arthritis and the synvisc was for the patellar tendon.

Anyway, Bucher's sources were right about Nene, so this is probably a legit timetable we have now. Barring any setbacks...
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#430 » by Nivek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:58 pm

If it's arthritis...that would be pretty close to worst case. It's chronic. I have osteoarthritis in one knee, and it finally forced me to give up playing. He's younger, in better shape, and SHOULD have better docs and treatment options. Reminds me of how he had chronic knee soreness his rookie year. Might have been a symptom.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#431 » by FAH1223 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Maybe he can go to Germany and get the treatment Kobe got
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#432 » by TheBigThree » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#433 » by Higga » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 pm

http://twitpic.com/bjyvo3

Seems about right. :lol:
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
blazinskillz
Junior
And1: 20

Post#434 » by blazinskillz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah he's out for the year.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#435 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, looks like worst case scenario is that he has to have the cartilage under his knee scoped out.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#436 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Worst case scenario would be an arthritic condition that required microfracture surgery. The treatment he got -- injection of Synvisc -- is a treatment for osteoarthritis.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#437 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Nivek wrote:If it's arthritis...that would be pretty close to worst case. It's chronic. I have osteoarthritis in one knee, and it finally forced me to give up playing. He's younger, in better shape, and SHOULD have better docs and treatment options. Reminds me of how he had chronic knee soreness his rookie year. Might have been a symptom.

The Wizards should stop talking about it other than to say he's on the mend. The second he's well enough to play they need to put him out there and to field all trade offers.

Trade Wall before it is too late to get anything close to value. This isn't going to end well.
Bye bye Beal.
sashae
Bench Warmer

Post#438 » by sashae » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:42 pm

So his "stress reaction" was a fracture with associated arthritis. You know what my reaction to stress is? WANTING TO THROW A ROCK AT THE FRONT OFFICE OF THE WASHINGTON WIZARDS. Great. The team lies about the injury to hide it from the fans. What else can we win?
sashae
Bench Warmer

Post#439 » by sashae » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Step 1: Misdiagnose Wall’s knee pain, tell him nothing seems to be amiss
Step 2: Encourage Wall to keep practicing and working out as normal, despite the persistence of his knee pain
Step 3: At some point after Wall’s pain has become so bad that he can’t run or straighten his leg, accede to his request to get a second opinion from a non-team doctor
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#440 » by gesa2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Nivek is right, Synvisc is a treatment for osteoarthritis. It's most common use is for that, often to buy time before replacement surgery. From Wall's interview though it sounds like he has chondromalacia patella, which is a roughening or damage to the cartilage under the kneecap, and not that uncommon in younger patients. I think Synvisc is used off label by some orthopedists to treat chondromalacia. It's basically a fluid injection of stuff similar to what's supposed to be in a healthy joint.

This is from the mechanism of action section on Synvisc in my favorite medical reference:

"Sodium hyaluronate and its derivatives form a viscoelastic solution in water (at physiological pH and ionic strength) which makes it suitable for aqueous and vitreous humor in ophthalmic surgery, and functions as a tissue and/or joint lubricant which plays an important role in modulating the interactions between adjacent tissues."

Return to Washington Wizards