Tracking Former Wizards 3.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Re: Tracking Former Wizards 3.0 

Post#881 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:18 am

If they had kept Dray, the team would have had just $5M in cap room (after dumping Lewis). Keeping Dray would not have affected the Okariza/Lewis trade because that was a trade, not a free agency acquisition.

Indeed, I would have understood the Okariza trade much more if they had kept Blatche. The premise would be that Ariza and Okafor were better than what the Wizards could otherwise acquire by dumping Lewis and shopping for free agents with just $5M in cap room. The effed up thing is that EG amnestied Blatche AFTER the Okariza trade. After the Okariza trade, we had no available cap room regardless of whether we amnestied Blatche or not.

If he amnestied Blatche first, he would then have the option of buying out Lewis and freeing up $12M in cap room. And $12M in free agency would surely have gotten us more talent than Okafor plus Ariza.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,583

Post#882 » by penbeast0 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:35 am

What does a team composed of all the ex-Wizards in the league look like this year?

McGee/Blatche/Gee/Rip/?

Bench: N.Young/Jamison/C.Butler . . .
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#883 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:09 am

nate33 wrote:If they had kept Dray, the team would have had just $5M in cap room (after dumping Lewis). Keeping Dray would not have affected the Okariza/Lewis trade because that was a trade, not a free agency acquisition.

Indeed, I would have understood the Okariza trade much more if they had kept Blatche. The premise would be that Ariza and Okafor were better than what the Wizards could otherwise acquire by dumping Lewis and shopping for free agents with just $5M in cap room. The effed up thing is that EG amnestied Blatche AFTER the Okariza trade. After the Okariza trade, we had no available cap room regardless of whether we amnestied Blatche or not.

If he amnestied Blatche first, he would then have the option of buying out Lewis and freeing up $12M in cap room. And $12M in free agency would surely have gotten us more talent than Okafor plus Ariza.

Dray could be the starting center right now instead of Okafor.

Ouch.

But hey, the crowd wanted to boo him out of town. You really think that didn't have some effect on what Ted/EG decided ? They are human. They realized the mess bring Dray back would be. And Randy letting it leak that he didn't want to coach him. That is Fd up.

Now we have another hole to dig out of. Dray could have been an assets on the court and a tradable asset down the road. Now we are stuck trying to get ride of Okafor and paying Dray dead money.

I wanted to believe in Randy but so far, he hasn't done a lot right to support my faith in him. While he has actually done a ton wrong. Hopefully he can redeem himself.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#884 » by hands11 » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:15 am

nate33 wrote:If they had kept Dray, the team would have had just $5M in cap room (after dumping Lewis). Keeping Dray would not have affected the Okariza/Lewis trade because that was a trade, not a free agency acquisition.

So they could have Dray and the Trevor A and Okafor deal and still had 5M or they would have been capped out ?
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#885 » by JAR69 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm not sure where this fits or what it means, but I think it's weird that of nine active players on the NCAA's list of 75 best tournament players, three are former Wizards/Bullets and one is a current Wizard. Also, Juan Dixon, who hasn't played in the NBA in several years, is on list.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/marchmadn ... at#PLAYERS
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#886 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 pm

hands11 wrote:

So they could have Dray and the Trevor A and Okafor deal and still had 5M or they would have been capped out ?

Once the Okariza deal took place, their cap figure jumped from Lewis' $14M buyout to Okariza's combined $21M price. They would have therefore been capped out. However they still would have had the MLE (which happens to be $5M). That would have been enough for Webster and Price. Basically, amnestying Blatche did absolutely NOTHING for their cap flexibility. Nothing at all.

EG managed to make the worst possible combination of decisions in the worst possible order. Amnesty Blatche first and he could have had $12M in cap room. The alternative would have been to keep Blatche at the same out-of-pocket cost to Ted and with the exact same cap flexibility. Instead, EG went with Door Number Three and traded for Okariza and then amnestying Blatche. He lost both the cap room and Blatche's production, without saving Ted a dime in out-of-pocket expenses.

I can say without even a whiff of hyperbole that EG couldn't have squandered his resources any more if he tried. He gave away Blatche and a pick just to acquire Okafor and Ariza, who cost more and are less productive than any number of players he could have obtained in free agency. I just can't fathom that Ted let him keep his job after this.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#887 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:08 pm

penbeast0 wrote:What does a team composed of all the ex-Wizards in the league look like this year?

McGee/Blatche/Gee/Rip/?

Bench: N.Young/Jamison/C.Butler . . .

This sounds like a job for PPA (my PER-like stat rating system). Below is the lineup, along with their rating (100 = average, higher is better):

PG - Foye -- 79
SG - Stackhouse -- 106
SF - Mike Miller -- 103
PF - Blatche -- 183
C - McGee -- 167

Bench
F - Jamison -- 118
F - Rasheed Wallace -- 98
SG - Stevenson -- 89
F - Lewis -- 77
C - Haywood -- 73
SG - Young -- 73
SF - Butler -- 71

Others
SG - Hamilton -- 68
PG - Blake -- 67
PG - Hinrich -- 63
F/C - Kwame Brown -- 56
G/F -- Gee -- 56
G - Roger Mason -- 52
SF - Josh Howard -- 49
SF - McGuire -- 45
F - Jared Jeffries -- -62
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#888 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
I can say without even a whiff of hyperbole that EG couldn't have squandered his resources any more if he tried. He gave away Blatche and a pick just to acquire Okafor and Ariza, who cost more and are less productive than any number of players he could have obtained in free agency. I just can't fathom that Ted let him keep his job after this.

It's not hyperbole, and it actually gets worse. Not only did Ted NOT fire Grunfeld for this sequence of decisions, he BRAGGED about how clever the trade was in his blog. While the team was in the process of making the worst choices they could make, Ted thought they were being smart.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#889 » by Illuminaire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I would sig that, Kevin, but I fear seeing that every day would lead me to consider alcoholism.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#890 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Nivek wrote:
nate33 wrote:

It's not hyperbole, and it actually gets worse. Not only did Ted NOT fire Grunfeld for this sequence of decisions, he BRAGGED about how clever the trade was in his blog. While the team was in the process of making the worst choices they could make, Ted thought they were being smart.

This exchange belongs in the HOF thread, who's with me?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#891 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 pm

nate33 wrote:Once the Okariza deal took place, their cap figure jumped from Lewis' $14M buyout to Okariza's combined $21M price. They would have therefore been capped out. However they still would have had the MLE (which happens to be $5M). That would have been enough for Webster and Price. Basically, amnestying Blatche did absolutely NOTHING for their cap flexibility. Nothing at all.

EG managed to make the worst possible combination of decisions in the worst possible order. Amnesty Blatche first and he could have had $12M in cap room. The alternative would have been to keep Blatche at the same out-of-pocket cost to Ted and with the exact same cap flexibility. Instead, EG went with Door Number Three and traded for Okariza and then amnestying Blatche. He lost both the cap room and Blatche's production, without saving Ted a dime in out-of-pocket expenses.

Speaking of a whiff, I would drug test the man. At times I wonder if he's under the influence when he makes deals like the Okafor trade and the Nene trade. You simply cannot trade right at the trade deadline for a player approaching 30 years old who misses many games to injury . As questionable a decision as the Nene trade was, you can't tell me he put valid analysis into the Okariza deal. That was a fail on so many levels. I would think very stupid or somebody's on drugs to make that deal.

I don't want to start any rumors, but I have wondered how a guy could be so wrong. When I was i the military we were tested randomly. I truly think executives should have the same standard applied because you never know.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#892 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Nivek wrote:
nate33 wrote:

What I wonder is are Ted and EG so prideful they don't now realize the depth and breadth of their miscalculations? Are they in denial and/or are they disingenuous enough to keep spouting about Wall's return, as if that is why their veteran acquisitions have not panned out.

What Ted seems to be to me is blinded by hero worship when it comes to EG. It's Abe and Wes all over again. No matter what, they're tight and running the business like a Mom & Pop store.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#893 » by Nivek » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Grunfeld must have some kind of Jedi mind thing over team owners. My guess is that they've convinced themselves that the problem is injuries to Wall and Nene and that everyone would play better if those two were in the lineup.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#894 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:47 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What I wonder is are Ted and EG so prideful they don't now realize the depth and breadth of their miscalculations?

Oh, there's no question about it -- they have no notion that they were making the wrong moves. They think this is all "bad luck."

Some time this Fall Ted said something on the order that the sports team industry was unique because you could be derailed so easily by chance.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:What Ted seems to be to me is blinded by hero worship when it comes to EG.

I'm afraid it's slightly different from that. Ted hero-worships Ted. He thinks Ted has a plan and is perfect. Ernie encourages him to hero-worship himself, because it lets him keep his job. As I've written a few times already, Ernie Grunfield has one great skill as a GM: he knows how to manage his owner.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#895 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:10 pm

No mention of McGee's nice game against Minnesota?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#896 » by sashae » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Nick Young had a nice night as well, 30pts, 4reb, 2ast, 1 stl including 6-12 from 3 and 52% shooting overall in a loss to the Lakers.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#897 » by closg00 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:No mention of McGee's nice game against Minnesota?

It was against SAC, 19 points in 21 min, but the game was a blowout.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#898 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

whoops.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#899 » by sashae » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Shelvin Mack, D-League player of the week for the Maine Red Claws. Too bad there's no NBA franchise desperately in need of PG help.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
RealGM

Post#900 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:29 pm

The Wizards are so frustrating. They need PG help and Livingston, like Pardo, has failed miserably.

They distanced themselves prematurely from Shelvin Mack. I hope for Shelvin's sake a good team will call him up.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards