Idea to improve Gamethreads

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Idea to improve Gamethreads 

Post#1 » by KnickerBonkerz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 am

I just got [what I think is] a great idea to improve the quality of discussion in gamethreads, especially those found on the Knicks and Raptors forums.

So maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of going back and forth between watching games typing on my computer trying to post what just happened in the actual game faster than anyone else in the thread, because honestly what good is that? If someone wants a play-by-play they are most likely not coming to the RealGM forums. I understand that people get excited and want to feel like they're enjoying the game with other people, but these type of posts clutter the thread up to the point where the people who actually want to have back and forth discussions about the game, during the game are having their voice lost in the thread in between every missed or made shot. The gamethreads on the Knicks/Raptors forums feel more like a chat room to be honest.

I think you get the point I'm trying to make and if you also feel like this is a problem then here's my idea: Implement a minimum character requirement for posts in the gamethread, so that users can't just post things like "KOBEEEE!!" whenever someone hits a three. I'm not saying everyone should be writing essays, but it should be just enough so that there isn't two or three new pages of posts every couple minutes...

For those that like the way it is now, why not have the best of both worlds and use my idea, as well as have a chat room? Only registered users who have been here for a certain amount of time (like how the General Board is) would be able to use it to avoid spam or other things...

Thanks for reading my wall of text, now some feedback would be nice :)
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Re: Idea to improve Gamethreads 

Post#2 » by blkout » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 am

I dunno I gotta admit I like the frantic spamming of game threads. There's post-game threads usually for actual discussion. I think game threads in a way simulate watching games with other people, and if you're watching the game with some friends you're not going to get into an in depth discussion about rotations or defensive schemes, you're going to just go with a "Gooden you f*cking suck" and keep it moving.

Plus I have a really hard time focusing on the game and posting more than a few words in the game thread at the same time. Might just be my attention span though.

That being said Bucks game threads are pretty active but we have mostly good posters, not many discussions get drowned out by spam posts.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#3 » by Howard Mass » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 am

KnickerBonkerz,

Thank you for the suggestion.

However, a lot of users like to express their emotions in game threads and sometimes the one worders or one liners do it for them.

I doubt we will ever make a character minimum but we do appreciate it when users offer suggestions as you are all valuable members of our community.

Thanks again!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,768

Post#4 » by Stannis » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:33 am

I always thought the best thing to do is:

· Have a chat room that opens at game time and closes when the game ends. This way, posters will not cloud up the game thread. For the Knicks board, the game threads are already like chartrooms, which is cool and lots of fun; but, it would be nice to read it in real-time on one page without having to click the refresh button.
· Keep the game threads open for people who want to discuss more in depth, and not so much for the people who want to express their emotions in a few words.

I always feel a little bad for someone who types a long well-thought post in the game thread, because it usually gets overlooked.
Free Palestine
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » by Howard Mass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Shpati21,

This is an option when we upgrade the forums in 2013.

We have some big things planned although the chats were difficult to moderate when we had them early last decade.

A lot will happen though and I am sure the possibility of chats will be brought up again when we do upgrades.

KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#6 » by KnickerBonkerz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Shpati21 wrote:I always feel a little bad for someone who types a long well-thought post in the game thread, because it usually gets overlooked.

This. You could say that people are less likely to type one out during the course of a game but a lot of people (like me) would do it during a commercial break, halftime, or even pause the game on their PVR.

As far as moderating chats go, I think as long as you automatically censor cuss words, disable images and links it should be easy, no? You could also make it so that people can't post comments in the chat as often as they want, space it out by 15-30 seconds or so.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » by Howard Mass » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm

KnickerBonkerz,

We probably would look to have filters if we brought back the chats.

I am not sure we will do this though but I am sure the chat feature will be discussed as an option with the board upgrades.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions