Jordan Crawford

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Jordan Crawford 

Post#461 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 pm

A few observations from Crawford's triple-double last night:

1) I've never seen a player work so hard to get bad shots.
2) His triple-double was a classic case of bad process, good outcome.
3) Several of his assists were bad passes. Example -- leading Beal from an open 3 to a long 2.
4) Despite the preceding 3 observations, he actually made genuine PG plays in the 4th quarter and OT.
5) It's tough not to like his effort. I just wish he was a better player.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#462 » by fishercob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm

My frustration is that he would be a better player if he made better decisions. It's not hard to not throw up leaning 3's early in the shot clock, and the like. Some might like his "edge" -- that he plays with something to prove. I'd prefer if he just played with a brain. He just doesn't strike me as a winning player; show me a team for which JC is playing big minutes, and I'll show you a bad team.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#463 » by hands11 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:45 pm

You guys are like sunshine on a cloudy day. :lol:
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#464 » by TGW » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm

fishercob wrote:My frustration is that he would be a better player if he made better decisions. It's not hard to not throw up leaning 3's early in the shot clock, and the like. Some might like his "edge" -- that he plays with something to prove. I'd prefer if he just played with a brain. He just doesn't strike me as a winning player; show me a team for which JC is playing big minutes, and I'll show you a bad team.

This. If he were on any team but the Wizards, his ass would be firmly on the bench.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,863

Post#465 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Well I've made this point before, including citing numbers, but there's no question Jordan Crawford is greatly improved so far this season (600+ minutes). He's a much better player.

Unfortunately, "much better" does not mean "good." He's still below average among all guards playing heavy minutes. Considerably below average.

On the numbers, that is. YMMV (if you want it to).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#466 » by MF23 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:24 am

Jordan Crawford has improved to me. He's not a good NBA player but if he can get to the line a shoot balanced jump shots he could become an alright NBA player. I actually like him playing pg, it makes him think about the offense. Long way to go but I see signs he could stick in the league.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
hands11
Banned User

Post#467 » by hands11 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 pm

MF23 wrote:Jordan Crawford has improved to me. He's not a good NBA player but if he can get to the line a shoot balanced jump shots he could become an alright NBA player. I actually like him playing pg, it makes him think about the offense. Long way to go but I see signs he could stick in the league.

Exactly. Its not only the best position for him to play, but its the position this team has been in need of the most.

Crawford at PG allows him to grow the most and produce the most because it forces him to use his total understanding of the game and it focuses his skills. As a PG, it makes him less of a chucker because he is looking to pass the ball to start the game. And the ball is already in his hands so he can conserves his energy instead of running around to get it only to initiate the offense with less time which makes him chuck more. Hell, he was basically playing PG when it was him and Mack out there together. Mack had zero skills when in the half court. All he did was bring the ball up. He is their best ball handler as a guard. He is their best at taking it to the basket and passing. He is actually pretty efficient shooting off balance on drives when things break down. If he could only get some more fouls called that would show up even more in his eff.

It has taken this team way to long to figure this out. I still even wonder if they have given the starting line up last game. He should have been playing some back up PG last year. He would be so much farther along and he would have been ready to start there this year with Wall out. If they did that, they could have started with

Crawford, Price and Mack and right now we would be seeing
Crawford and Mack.

Beal would have had an easier time of things even if they insisted on starting him from day 1

And with those two things, everything would have looked better. They would have won way more of those close games. Specially not going down 10 plus every first quarter.

They had to be wanting to tank from day 1. Just doesn't make sense any other way.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#468 » by jivelikenice » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

The problem with Crawford is what do you do with him? He's a RFA after next season. He was supposed to be a 6th man, but has proven that he needs to control the ball to be effective. It would be INSANE to sign him to an extension so do you just let him walk or do you trade him? He's not a good enough shooter to be counted on as a 6th man in my opinion and if he's starting here long-term, we have no chance at being a good team.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,910

Post#469 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

jivelikenice wrote:The problem with Crawford is what do you do with him? He's a RFA after next season. He was supposed to be a 6th man, but has proven that he needs to control the ball to be effective. It would be INSANE to sign him to an extension so do you just let him walk or do you trade him? He's not a good enough shooter to be counted on as a 6th man in my opinion and if he's starting here long-term, we have no chance at being a good team.

It isn't a problem until the end of next season. I don't see the point of worrying about it now. There are much bigger problems to address with this team.

RFAs rarely get good offers anyway so there shouldn't be any urgency to resign him.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,951

Post#470 » by DCZards » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 pm

jivelikenice wrote:The problem with Crawford is what do you do with him? He's a RFA after next season. He was supposed to be a 6th man, but has proven that he needs to control the ball to be effective. It would be INSANE to sign him to an extension so do you just let him walk or do you trade him? He's not a good enough shooter to be counted on as a 6th man in my opinion and if he's starting here long-term, we have no chance at being a good team.

I think you resign Crawford. I like the idea of a sixth man with the "big balls" and clutch shooting ability that JC has shown this year. It also helps that he can play both guard positions.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#471 » by TGW » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that moron Grunfeld resigned Crawford. It has been his M.O. to hitch his wagon to low IQ players.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,229

Post#472 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 am

tontoz wrote:

It isn't a problem until the end of next season. I don't see the point of worrying about it now. There are much bigger problems to address with this team.

RFAs rarely get good offers anyway so there shouldn't be any urgency to resign him.

Agreed. Don't extend him. Wait until he is a free agent and gets an offer from somewhere else. At that point, we decide whether it makes sense to match.
hands11
Banned User

Post#473 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:24 am

DCZards wrote:

I think you resign Crawford. I like the idea of a sixth man with the "big balls" and clutch shooting ability that JC has shown this year. It also helps that he can play both guard positions.

I just hope he gets enough minutes at starting PG while Wall and Price are out to settle in and prove one way or another what he could give at that position. For me, I think he can give a good bit and I have felt that way since early last year after watching how limited Mack was.

He started at PG 5 games.

The first one he scored 26 pts got to the line 8 times and Beal played well. But he shoot a lot on that night because no one other then Beal and Nene realized that was a game that night. They won.

Next game was a mixed bad. Lower FG% and 3-9 from 3, 8 rebounds 5 assists 17 pts. Not to bad for back to back 40 minute games.

Next 2 games he trailed off and he had a terrible game in Miami which was another back to back

Then he had a HOF type game against ATL with a 3x 2x 1 turnover.

Then he didn't start at PG because of Randy's brilliance starting Livingston because Beal was out.

So in 5 games as the PG, 1 nice game they won one. 1 solid game, 1 MEH, 1 stinker POS, and 1 HOF

Not bad for a guy playing in a new position and starting with Randy line ups. Actually, pretty impressive.

And then you move him back to SG and move him back up PG playing 40 min on a back to back where he played 40 minutes. And Livingston is the starting PG and he give you 7-16 6 assists 4 rebounds 3-6 from 3 and 19 pts

When you look around the league at the back up PG and then consider he can play SG as well, Crawford is not the POS that some make him out to be. Actually, he is kind of valuable. And given the chance to develop more as a PG, he could become even more valuable.

Wall, Beal, Crawford is a really good start for a guard rotation. What they need is a lock down pure shooter who can nail it when open from 3. Can Martin be that player ? Maybe. If not, they are out there to be had. Far from an impossible piece to find.

Actually, when you look at what is out there. Martin measures up pretty well. He is 18th in 3 shooting. But ESPN needs to do some updating. He anent no PF. But he is neck and neck with Steve Novak and Kyle Korver who cost a lot more then Martin.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... eldGoalPct

This team needs to get healthy so we can see what we have.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#474 » by keynote » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

“I can pass easily, but I'm such a dominant scorer that people think I can’t pass,” he said. “They got to start watching the game.”

There's irrational confidence, delusions of grandeur, megalomania, and then there's Jordan Crawford.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,129

Post#475 » by AFM » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:27 am

I agree. He's none of those.

You know what he is?

A body bag full of swag.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,229

Post#476 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm

keynote wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/jordan-crawford-out-to-prove-hes-more-than-a-scorer/2012/12/20/0b6f9406-4afd-11e2-8758-b64a2997a921_story.html

“I can pass easily, but I'm such a dominant scorer that people think I can’t pass,” he said. “They got to start watching the game.”

There's irrational confidence, delusions of grandeur, megalomania, and then there's Jordan Crawford.

:nonono:
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#477 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:54 pm

AFM wrote:I agree. He's none of those.

You know what he is?

A body bag full of steeze.

fixed
keynote wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/jordan-crawford-out-to-prove-hes-more-than-a-scorer/2012/12/20/0b6f9406-4afd-11e2-8758-b64a2997a921_story.html

Classic Crawford...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,910

Post#478 » by tontoz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:12 pm

That quote is pretty hard to swallow. Ugh
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#479 » by Nivek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:30 pm

What clutch shooting has Crawford shown? Tell me when "clutch" is and then we can talk about how clutch or not clutch he actually is.

Using 4th quarter and overtime with the margin +/- 5, Crawford is 16-49 this season -- 32.7%. His efg (which includes the effect of the 3pt shot) is 39.7%.

A decision on Crawford isn't a problem unless he plays better. At this point, he's expendable -- like just about everyone on the roster.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
cwb3
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#480 » by cwb3 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I can somewhat see the comparison to Nick Young as a shooter. Sometimes he shoots for the sake of shooting, sometime early in the shot clock. Unlike NY however, he seems a decent defender and really can pass. I am not in love with the guy, but this year he is one of very few Wizards who can be a threat to score on any possession. Would prefer him as a spark off the bench role player. But this year that is not possible. I agree though, don't extend him or anything, see what he might fetch off the open market, then see if that is price the Wizards might want to match.
montestewart wrote:Players really should wait until they're rookie coaches to become GMs.

Return to Washington Wizards