Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Anthony Bennett 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:08 am

1UPZ wrote:
ManualRam wrote:the only comparison with maxiell is body type and leaping ability. that's it. the fact that bennett has a jumper should eliminate any other comparison with maxiell in terms of game.

i don't think bennett has the all around game, especially the post and post passing game to draw any comparison with LJ or barkley. both those guys were more agile and better ball-handlers than bennett was as well.
bennett's more of a guy who finishes plays as opposed to a guy who creates plays. i also don't think bennett is nearly as good of a rebounder as those 2 were.

Barkley has nice ball handling for a big guy.. but is he really a big guy? 6'6... if anything he has handle for a big framed guy, he has similar dribbling distance as most wing men.

I think Bennett can develop a decent enough ball handle...
against PFs.... I dont see how Bennett cannot dribble around them.... look at Dirk putting the ball down against PFs easily because of his mobility... Bennett can use that to his advantage.

I really see a 15ppg 10ppg 1.5bpg aggressive PF/SF player.... perhaps a "thick" Shawn Marion....

yeah barkley was a big guy. he played amongst big guys and was a huge space eater, wide body with very good length. one of his strengths early on in his career was his ability to grab the ball off the rim and go, which i haven't seen bennett do as of yet.
the thing that bennett has working for him is his jumpshot. he could get around defenders off of the threat of the jumper.

i still don't see the creativity or natural playmaking ability to be in the same category as a barkley or LJ. LJ in particular was a very good passer, who could wheel into the lane with his patented spin moves and make plays for himself or others. outside of the quick deep position baby hook, i don't see in bennett the post up ability that barkley or lj had. both of them could back down 6'9-6'10 guys, generate their own offense and could be used as a hub of the offense because of their passing ability.

i don't see how he could play SF at all. he's not a tweener to me. he's a PF all the way and i hope he sees himself as that as well. imo, if he tries to be more of a SF, that'd be a derrick williams-esque mistake.

in terms of style of play the guy who his offensive game reminds me of the most is elton brand. elbow jumpers, high post play, one dribble drives for running hooks, powerful finishes utilizing his length, quick post jump hooks and turnarounds. he's just smaller than EB and he doesn't play with the same relentlessness as young EB. maybe that'll change if he improves his conditioning.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
supaSPED
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#22 » by supaSPED » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:06 am

EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#23 » by EB2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 am

Bennett's definitely becoming one of my favorite prospects in this draft.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#24 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 am

20 pts 13 rebs vs. Northern Iowa tonight
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#25 » by thamadkant » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 am

He is looking like a Top 5 pick at the moment.

He can be a legit PF/SF even at 6'7 because he is so darn aggressive at going for the ball, he has the athletics, explosion, width and reach to impact the PF spot in the NBA... Heck if 6'8 LeBron James can do well part time PF (eventually will be PF IMO) Bennett's size ad abilities he can definitely play amongst bigger guys.

I'm really seeing a thicker, wider, stronger Shawn Marion :)
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#26 » by LV-Suns » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:32 am

His offensive game reminds me of a young Amare, probably just me.

Solid game by the Canadian duo(Khem Birch) for UNLV today, felt like a shot blocking parade.
I Dont wanna be here
EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Post#27 » by EB2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I'd really like to see a match up of Bennett against Noel. That would be a great match up of potentail top 5 picks.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#28 » by Hoopz Afrik » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:57 pm

How would you guys rate Anthony Bennett as a defender?
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm

LeBron_da_Don wrote:How would you guys rate Anthony Bennett as a defender?

well...he can block some shots and he's strong. other than that, i wouldn't call him a good defender.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#30 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 am

He's not a good defender. As a UNLV alumni/fan, I've watched every single game, and he's not a good defender. HIs defensive instincts aren't great, he's not a great man defender, and his defensive rebounding leaves a lot to be desired. But he does get blocks, and is okay on switches, so there's that. He has a lot to work on when it comes to the defensive side of the ball.
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#31 » by teamjosh04 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:25 am

Right now he is pretty bad defensively. He is slow on rotating in help defense and falls for simple post moves when guarding the post. He also has trouble against players who aren't afraid to be physical with him. He is a good shotblocker.

He can be a decent defender if he wants to be.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#32 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:00 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5w2T6yqPRk[/youtube]
Sterling_Archer
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#33 » by Sterling_Archer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:46 pm

Bennett I think is a better tweeter version of Derrick Williams in that he doesn't still yet have a position but he is better at both areas than Williams is that fact that he is you ger and is so athletic and long makes it easier for him to refine his game more and eventually carve out s spot for him.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#34 » by ManualRam » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 am

Sterling_Archer wrote:Bennett I think is a better tweeter version of Derrick Williams in that he doesn't still yet have a position but he is better at both areas than Williams is that fact that he is you ger and is so athletic and long makes it easier for him to refine his game more and eventually carve out s spot for him.

he has a position. he's a pf.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
teamjosh04
Senior

Post#35 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:18 am

yea Bennett is even more of a PF than Derrick Williams was. and Williams wasn't close to being a 3 either.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#36 » by princeofpalace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Watched Bennett for the first time today and he was a terrible scorer. Rebounded the ball well but I dont think he can play as a PF or a SF in the NBA. I think he goes the way of T. Jones, D. Williams, M. Beasley, T. Robinson etc.. May be good for college ball but not a lottery level talent. I pity the team that drafts him in the top 14.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#37 » by ManualRam » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 pm

princeofpalace wrote:Watched Bennett for the first time today and he was a terrible scorer. Rebounded the ball well but I dont think he can play as a PF or a SF in the NBA. I think he goes the way of T. Jones, D. Williams, M. Beasley, T. Robinson etc.. May be good for college ball but not a lottery level talent. I pity the team that drafts him in the top 14.

wow, all that after watching him play one game?
i don't have him in the lotto either, but talk about kneejerk reaction on your part.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#38 » by Jersey Generals » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 pm

While it did seem like he was troubled with Hubert's/McAdoo's length and UNC's length in general, he didn't play with the same intensity that he normally does, which played a part in his performance, which was still decent enough. Watch him again and you'll see how different he is as a player than what he showed just in today's game.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#39 » by jman3134 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 am

teamjosh04 wrote:Right now he is pretty bad defensively. He is slow on rotating in help defense and falls for simple post moves when guarding the post. He also has trouble against players who aren't afraid to be physical with him. He is a good shotblocker.

He can be a decent defender if he wants to be.

Hit it on the head with inconsistent help rotation. I just finalized a full length scouting report covering Anthony Bennett's strengths and weaknesses, and I address his issues on defense.

He is a poor help defender, and is too prone to switching, sometimes getting in the way of his teammate who is looking to recover and block a player's shot. He switches out high on guards and is readily beat off the dribble or by pull up jumper. Bennett is the worst on pick and roll sets though. When he does actually hedge (this is not a given, b/c he sometimes just sits back and watches as a guard hits a jumper), he mechanically puts his foot in as if he were running a shuttle drill and then tries to recover back to his man. He does not converge on the ball, and he never is able to get back to the roll man. Basically, he's the worst of both worlds.

With regard to his post defense, he regularly fronts the post, which leads to steals if a guard simply telegraphs a pass. At the next level, he will be beat with a lob every time. He should be able to chest his man out of the paint due to his strength and low center of gravity. This will come in time. He does a nice job of playing positional post defense at times and contesting without fouling. But, he allows way too deep post position.

My two cents.
teamjosh04
Senior

Post#40 » by teamjosh04 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:26 am

Agreed on all counts, Jman. Screens are definitely the worse.

In the Northern Iowa game. he allowed their big man to get 5 open 3-pt looks in the first 10 minutes because of his inability to cover the pick and pop. The player's previous career high in 3-pt attempts was 4. I think he finished with around 10 shots from deep that game.

The way he hedged screens didn't even make sense. He hedged on the opposite side of his man, making it an even longer distance to recover from. The ball handler's defender was actually closer to his man on these instances. He just kept putting himself out of position time and time again without ever learning.

In the UNC game, this part of his game didn't get exposed much. I kept a close eye on it, but UNLV did a good job putting him on Desmond Hubert whenever possible .

I just cringe thinking about him defending in the NBA that way. Imagine him covering stretch power forwards in the pick and roll game with all that extra space the NBA has. He would be exposed in a hurry.

Return to NBA Draft