No, let's wait to see how he plays with JW and Nene
24%

Total votes: 162

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust 

Post#161 » by dangermouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 am

Wait..... Why is KH sticking up for Jan's emotional wellbeing now? I thought he coined "He a Bust" in the first place.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#162 » by BigA » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 am

dangermouse wrote:Wait..... Why is KH sticking up for Jan's emotional wellbeing now? I thought he coined "He a Bust" in the first place.

Just another reason why this is a great thread. You've got to pay close attention or you'll lose track of who is arguing what.

And thanks to KH for "he a bust." It's the only thing that's lifted my spirits as a Wizards fan this season.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#163 » by montestewart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am

dangermouse wrote:Wait..... Why is KH sticking up for Jan's emotional wellbeing now? I thought he coined "He a Bust" in the first place.

The team plays horribly, the fans get depressed, the fans take it out on players, the players get depressed, the fans notice the players are likewise depressed, a bond forms. Maybe it's a distant cousin of Stockholm Syndrome or something.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#164 » by dangermouse » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 am

Ahh. Gothenburg Syndrome.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#165 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 am

Knighthonor wrote:
closg00 wrote:All is forgiven, Jan doesn't have his building block of comfort. Sorry hands :lol:

Dude/Lady, have a heart. Nothing I said was funny.

The guy still struggling. and clearly he seem more comfortable in the summer league. So something emotional is bothering him, and his gameplay.

Bashing the guy in his emotional time of need wont help. Have some morals please...

Dude it's summer league, played by rookies and scrubs...Josh Selby was the co-MVP and can't get a game with the Grizzlies.
You must be Czech or something. I can shoot better than Vesely and I've never played organized basketball.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#166 » by mhd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:15 am

Barron>>>>>>>Vessley even if Earl went 0-8 from the field tonight.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#167 » by montestewart » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:47 am

I like that you can vote for both options. Which I did.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#168 » by JonathanJoseph » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:26 am

I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

"Is Vesely a bust for a 6th pick?" is a loaded question. "Is Vesely a bust?" and "Is Vesely a bust for the 6th pick?" are two very different questions.

Vesely is probably not worth a high lottery pick. However, 1) it's possible he will be. 2) It's possible no one else drafted behind him was that much better (Leonard is a role player). 3) I don't think we've seen enough to know.

A few thoughts: I think Vesely will end up "less a bust" than Wall. I think Vesely will be much better just via 20lbs of weight gained and a few years of experience. Tiago Splitter is a similar style player. Vesely has real value and should be playing minutes over Earl Barron.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#169 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 pm

JonathanJoseph wrote:I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

"Is Vesely a bust for a 6th pick?" is a loaded question. "Is Vesely a bust?" and "Is Vesely a bust for the 6th pick?" are two very different questions.

Vesely is probably not worth a high lottery pick. However, 1) it's possible he will be. 2) It's possible no one else drafted behind him was that much better (Leonard is a role player). 3) I don't think we've seen enough to know.

A few thoughts: I think Vesely will end up "less a bust" than Wall. I think Vesely will be much better just via 20lbs of weight gained and a few years of experience. Tiago Splitter is a similar style player. Vesely has real value and should be playing minutes over Earl Barron.

You are delusional.

There is no chance whatsoever that Vesely pans out to be worth a high lotto pick. None. And if Wall doesn't play another game in his career, he will still have had a better career than Vesely ever will.

The best Vesely can hope to be is a Jared Jeffries type of player - a hustle player and versatile defender off the bench. The only conceivable way he'll do better than that is if he takes some steroids and bulks up his lower body.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#170 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#171 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.

Vesely ranked 24th last year in dunks with 63. The leader was Blake Griffin with 192.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#172 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

nate33 wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:Jan already added some weight during the offseason which hasn't worked out too well.. It looks like he's lost a step and he doesn't elevate nearly as high as he used to. IIRC he was one of the league leaders in dunks last season where as this year I can't remember him finishing one.

Vesely ranked 24th last year in dunks with 63. The leader was Blake Griffin with 192.

:lol: Ops it might of been rookies only..
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#173 » by JonathanJoseph » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
JonathanJoseph wrote:I didn't read through this whole thread, but the poll options are flawed.

You are delusional.

There is no chance whatsoever that Vesely pans out to be worth a high lotto pick. None. And if Wall doesn't play another game in his career, he will still have had a better career than Vesely ever will.

The best Vesely can hope to be is a Jared Jeffries type of player - a hustle player and versatile defender off the bench. The only conceivable way he'll do better than that is if he takes some steroids and bulks up his lower body.

I think it's entirely possible that Vesely becomes another Kirilenko type with another year or two of maturity and strength, and Kirilenko is worth a lottery pick. The chances of that happening are probably not above 50%, but the possibility is certainly greater than 0. Vesely has size, athleticism, good instincts and has shown that he can be an effective "glue" player. I'd bet that if he were playing for a smart, veteran team like the Spurs, he would turn into an effective player.

And your point about Wall shows the opposite kind of delusion. When I said "less a bust", I was referring to degree of bust. Every year there are lottery picks who go on to not become NBA-rotation quality players. Coming out of college, the shoe companies projected Wall to be a bigger star than D Rose and Blake Griffin, the number 1 picks right before him. If Wall never played another game, he'd be in the running for biggest bust in NBA history, and as I suspect with his knee he may have lost his top gear which would make him a below average NBA point guard. On a relative scale, that would be a bigger bust than anything you could miss on at the 6th pick.

At the end of the day, it's miserable to be comparing the caliber of Grunfeld's draft busts.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#174 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Vesely can't shoot, dribble, rebound or play D. Other than that he is just like AK47. :roll:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#175 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:28 am

Watching the Wizards play Orlando I was reminded of the player I really wanted in that draft, Nikola Vucevic. I couldn't figure out why a legit 7 footer with good size/athleticism who was a very good rebounder and shooter wasn't rated higher. He had a seemingly excellent work ethic, and had proven himself at the major collegiate level.

I posted numerous times about this guy being as good or better than Kanter. He was obviously going to be there for our pick! To me taking him was so obvious. Then comes the draft and the Wizards take Vesely.

Not that taking Vucevic would of changed anything about this season. But he would of been at least a legit #6 pick in the draft.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#176 » by closg00 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Serious question, would JV even net us a 2nd round pick in next-years draft? When I watch him play, I am still shocked that we by-passed all other potential picks in-favor of snatching him at pick 6.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#177 » by WizarDynasty » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm

tontoz wrote:Vesely can't shoot, dribble, rebound or play D. Other than that he is just like AK47. :roll:

lmao. :rofl: Fodder for joke and then the ingenious hilarious analysis of the fodder to capture the state of the wizards and the fans. Keep hope alive.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,111

Post#178 » by AFM » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 am

Any way we could send this guy to the Redskins secondary? Imagine him at Free Safety. Long, athletic, can wreak havoc on the WRs....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#179 » by gambitx777 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 am

I have said this before and I will say it again. He needs to go to the D league. He will only learn the NBA game by playing 25-35 minutes a night and he wont get that here. Send him down, let him get some confidence and some experience. Then bring him back up and see if he can play his way in to some trade value. Jan would probably have been a good pick between 24-30. I was on a different board back then but I argued night and day that we should take Kawhi Leonard. Thompson, the Morris twins, Vucevic or Shumpert would have all been better picks. Taking Kenneth Farried that high would have been scowled at, at least at the time, but it would have been much better than taking Jan.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#180 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 pm

yeah he needs to go to the D-League and shoot the ball

Return to Washington Wizards