ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,213

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#481 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Id honestly shut him down and have surgery, no need to put him through the misery of this season and possibly damage his knee
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#482 » by hands11 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:48 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... nee_Injury

John Wall doesn't have a specific date for his return from knee injury, but does expect to return sometime in January.

"My timetable is some time in January," Wall told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night. "The way I am feeling with no pain, working out and doing it three [days straight] and it has no pain, I'm feeling good. I feel like I am taking the right steps and I haven't had no pain the last couple of days after workouts."

Wall has a clear idea of what will signify his readiness to return to the floor.

"When I feel like I can run and do everything like I used to, cut, jump like I used to, run fast like I used to," Wall said. "And I feel like I am getting closer and closer to those steps."

--

What, so he isn't out for the season and he will be returning mid Jan like some of us were saying. He's not going to be a cripple for life ? No surgery ? Just rest ?

But of course the all must go wrong crowd will still hold out blind faith that these things will happen up until he is actually on the court doing 360 dunks every game for two months straight.

Glad he went and saw that NY doctor. He seems to be a good Doc. I have increasing faith that he did Wall right and Wall will be ok.

Heard Trevor A was supposed to be read soon from something that was posted last week. I guess we will get an update on that soon as well. Nene seems to be getting in better shape. That have him on a 26 min limit now which is up from 20 minutes.

At some point we may actually get to see the team they put together. Flowed or not, would be nice to see what it actually is.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#483 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:10 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:Id honestly shut him down and have surgery, no need to put him through the misery of this season and possibly damage his knee

Dr Frist, what type of surgery are you proposing?

Sounds like they did the right thing (time will tell, could be wrong).
We're not simply relying on the crack Wizard medical team here.
Wall is consulting with a reputed expert. As to his condition going
back to when he was drafted, at some point, you have to rely on
a player's imperfect ability to "know his body" well enough to
understand whether something really is serious. Young players
are notorious for underestimating the severity of a given condition.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#484 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Witt said John Wall took part in "dummy" drills at practice today 4 first time this season, still no contact but moving in right direction

https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/ ... 6588853248
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#485 » by mohammed10 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:22 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Witt said John Wall took part in "dummy" drills at practice today 4 first time this season, still no contact but moving in right direction

:lol:

I'm sorry, but that tweet has comedy written all over it...dummy drills - ha!
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#486 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm

mohammed10 wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:

I'm sorry, but that tweet has comedy written all over it...dummy drills - ha!

Yup I see very little reason to get excited over this.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#487 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:

Why are they still running Blatche & McGee drills?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#488 » by dangermouse » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:38 am

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#489 » by mohammed10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 am

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:

:o

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
hands11
Banned User

Post#490 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 6:57 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

“We’re actually seeing a foray of people on the practice floor now, which is good to see,” Wittman said. “Hopefully, in the new year, we can get everybody back at one time.”

Wall has targeted a return “some time in January” but already was making his presence felt as he begins to ramp up activity on the stress injury in his left knee.

“This is probably as hard as John’s went up to this point,” Wittman said after Monday’s practice. “It’s getting close. Obviously, [the doctors] are letting him do more and more.”

Reserve forward Chris Singleton said Wall was one of the more vocal players in practices, shouting out instructions and suggestions.

“It gives the whole team a confidence booster,” Okafor said.

--

Going to be nice to get Trevor A back. We have yet to even see Okafor, Nene and Trevor A starting together. Then before we know it, we will finally get to see Wall, Trevor A, Nene and Okafor but even when Wall returns, he isn't likely to start right way so I guess Randy will go

Temple/Wall
Beal/Crawford
Trevor A/Webster
Nene/Ves/Singleton
Okafor/Kevin

Actually, since Wall and Beal are what they really want to evaluate, maybe Randy uses that as an opportunity to move Beal to the bench so he can play with Wall. That would be a great excuse. Perfect way to fix the mistake they made in starting Beal to begin with.

Temple/Wall
Crawford/Beal
Trevor A/Webster
Nene/Ves/Singleton
Okafor/Kevin

Plus Mack, Martin
Injured Booker, AJ Price

That's 15

I still have little faith in Martin as a player. If they could add a 3rd guard that can perform when it matters, I think this roster will be winning at least .500 of their games. Maybe Temple will find his stroke and be that extra guard that can shoot because once Wall returns, they will finally have more options at PG. Right now I have more faith in Temple becoming a legit player then I do Martin. Something about Martin just doesn't feel right. He is missing something. Great form but just never became a legit NBA player.

With Wall and Nene out to start the year and now still no Wall or Trevor A and only one game were I got to see Crawford staring with Nene and Okafor, I'm still waiting to see what this team could look like. Clearly we are going to get to see better ball then we have so far. Coaches and players have said what they should which is you don't use injuries as an excuse but who we fooling. Injuries crushed this team. Way to many injuries. Specially to key pieces. I'm just hoping everyone that is healthy can stay that way because I think they are handling Wall and Trevor A the right way so that once they return, they will be ready to stick around.

Lots of people have slammed the medical staff in the past, but they do appear to he handling things better once a player is identified as injured. They are not rushing them back. They seemed to have handled Kevin S properly. He had what Trevor A has and once he returned, he has stayed healthy. Whatever is wrong with Booker, they seem to be really taking their time with it. Whatever they did wrong with Booker in the past, at least he has Walls doctor now and they are really trying to get him right. Price was just a broken finger so that is straight forward. He will be back in a couple weeks. Except for Booker, its looking like they will be at full strength around Jan 21st. For me, that when we will really get to evaluate what they put together and that is what I think they need to see before they start moving pieces. Sure bashing Ted/EG is fun and it helps to vent when you are losing so much, but to be fair, we haven't gotten to see what they actually put together.

They have from about Jan 21 to February 21: 2013 NBA Trade Deadline (3 p.m. ET) to evaluate what they actually have.

I'm not solid that the right path is the blow it up again. We haven't even gotten to see what they actually have so saying blow it up seems kind of foolish. What I think they need to do it put together a team that can make the playoff now because that experience is what players like Wall, Beal, Ves, Singleton, Kevin S and maybe Temple need early in their careers. Thats where you discover what this game is really all about. They need to experience that so they can focus in on what they really need to do to win. They have Nene for 3 more years. Not a player that is easily replaced. And while people ( including me ) have slammed Trevor A and Okafor, they are both pretty good 2nd tier vet starters. i.e. Good compliment pieces to Wall and Nene. And Crawford is a solid 6th man bench piece borderline legit starter if he keep getting better like he has year over year.

Healthy, I still say this team would have been in the playoffs at least as good as MIL and while that is not the end game, that is where you need to get to first so the young guns can experience playoff level ball and your team can start getting viewed as legit to other players.

I can see a much more clear path forward by building off what they have ie.Trevor A and Okafor for another year and maybe even extending them 2 years at some point next year for much cheaper, adding a draft piece at center, and trading the following years #1 and or spare pieces for an upgrade at starting SF if Trevor A doesn't really up his game with Wall, Crawford, Nene and Okafor out there with him. I think most of us expect Trevor A to look better with better pieces out there with him. He just isn't a #1 option. He is a 3rd option which he would be Wall, Crawford, Nene and Okafor.

Lots here want to build a championship team from scratch. I say that is a pipe dream. First they need to build a team that can get into the playoffs and fight to make the 2nd round. Right were they were when they should have traded Gil and AJ last time. I think they can be there again as soon as next year, then you have some big decisions to make but I would wait until then to make those decisions.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#491 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm not too excited about getting Ariza back because I think Webster is a better player. I'm not even sure if Ariza is that much better than Martin given our appalling lack of 3-point shooting. At least Martin stretches the floor for our bigs to post up. Ariza is certainly useful as a defensive stopper when we face a high scoring wing player.

I think Booker could give us a boost though. He didn't play that well during his stint earlier this year, but I'm assuming that was due to injury. If Booker can come back and play roughly like he did last season, but with a slightly improved outside shot, he'll be our best option at PF other than Nene (whom I'd prefer spend more time at C).
hands11
Banned User

Post#492 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:34 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm not too excited about getting Ariza back because I think Webster is a better player. I'm not even sure if Ariza is that much better than Martin given our appalling lack of 3-point shooting. At least Martin stretches the floor for our bigs to post up. Ariza is certainly useful as a defensive stopper when we face a high scoring wing player.

I think Booker could give us a boost though. He didn't play that well during his stint earlier this year, but I'm assuming that was due to injury. If Booker can come back and play roughly like he did last season, but with a slightly improved outside shot, he'll be our best option at PF other than Nene (whom I'd prefer spend more time at C).

Martin vs Trevor A Really. Excluding salaries, would you actually trade Trevor A for Martin ? I wouldn't. I would consider that a complete steal of a trade if I would get Trevor A for Martin.

I think you are undervaluing Trevor A a little bit there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Trevor A is a world beater but at 6-8 and long with the defensive skills he has, as a 3rd option offensive player, his numbers on offense are good enough that his size, defense and experience make him the starter at SF. He is also going to look better once they are running more. That said, so should Webster. Martin. MEH. He is 28 now. If he is going to become a more consistent player, he better do it soon. Martin isn't even in the same camp as Trevor A as a starter.

Webster is a nice player to come off the bench but he hasn't show he can step it up at the level of a starter. Once Trevor A returns and get that leg 100% he will likely replace Webster in the starting line up.

Trevor A is really their only legit starting SF and he is only a borderline starter who can do it when he is out there with a solid group to run with. He is a 2nd tier starter but he is a starter. Webster and Martin aren't really even 2nd tier starters. They are bench players. Webster might be able to become a 2nd tier stater. Martin ? Not seeing it. Webster also give you the advantage of being a strong voice in the locker room. Martin is like a shadow on the wall. I see no leadership skills in him.

Trevor A > Webster > Martin

As for Booker. I agree a healthy Booker is an energy guy beast mode slashing finisher that would be nice off the bench. And with his improved mid range, I would hope we see some pump fake one dribble mama slama jama from him. Getting Booker back defiantly adds something to the team.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,151

Post#493 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:26 am

Arita is noticeably better than Webster on defense, which is the only thing thr shards do at all well. Might as well highlight your strengths.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#494 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 2, 2013 2:26 am

The game before he got hurt, (or was it the game he was hurt), Ariza was balling.

Ariza besides defending well is also a good passer. His game was coming around nicely when he went down.
Bye bye Beal.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#495 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Jan 3, 2013 6:57 pm

Wall practiced today!

Wall's return was not a full-contact one, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, so I think we might not see him for a few games still. Nevertheless, this is a major step forward for Wall as he continues to recover from a stress injury in his knee. I'd be shocked if Wall actually came back for Friday's home game against the Brooklyn Nets, but we might want to start the Wall Return Watch with Monday's game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Time will tell.

In addition, Trevor Ariza participated in some drills, and A.J. Price and Trevor Booker did some side work. Ariza may return first, but again, we'll have to see.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/1/3/ ... s-practice
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#496 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 7:08 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Wall practiced today!

Wall's return was not a full-contact one, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post, so I think we might not see him for a few games still. Nevertheless, this is a major step forward for Wall as he continues to recover from a stress injury in his knee. I'd be shocked if Wall actually came back for Friday's home game against the Brooklyn Nets, but we might want to start the Wall Return Watch with Monday's game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Time will tell.

In addition, Trevor Ariza participated in some drills, and A.J. Price and Trevor Booker did some side work. Ariza may return first, but again, we'll have to see.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/1/3/ ... s-practice

Looking at the schedule, the Wizards play two tough games in a row on January 6th and 7th (@Miama and vsOKC) before getting a 5-day break. They then face an easier stretch with Atlanta, Orlando and Sacramento on the 12th, 14th and 16th respectively. Rather than play Wall against OKC, I'd sit him out that game, buy him 5 more days to practice with the team, and target the 12th for his return.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#497 » by Halcyon » Thu Jan 3, 2013 7:15 pm

Can't wait to see Wall, as rusty as he may be. I hope he's actually healthy though.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#498 » by Higga » Thu Jan 3, 2013 9:28 pm

I just hope they're not rushing him back. I mean he wasn't doing anything, then some story breaks out about how much of a joke this situation has become, and all of a sudden he shows progress? I don't know, smells like typical Grunfeld BS to me.

I bet he'll play a couple weeks or so and then get shut down and have surgery.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
hands11
Banned User

Post#499 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 3:24 am

After you follow this link, you can also watch videos of Trevor A & B and AJ Price interviewed about their returns. Could the dark cloud finally be getting lifted ?

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2013/0 ... mv-2345005

Something just feels different from past and how they would do things with CB, AJ and Gil when injured. No way Randy will over plays them like EFJ would do. And the trainers are actually holding them back even when the players want to play more. Exactly. Makes me think back to a post I did about AJ returning to soon many moons ago. Right before the ASB. EFJ played in massive minutes and he got re-injured. You have to save these guys from themselves. They are competitors. They want to be out there.

I don't think they are rushing any of them back. Nene's return has gone well so far. Kevin returned and stayed. I think we will see the same with Trevor A and Wall.

Price says Wall looked fast and aggressive. Wasn't to winded. In good shape. Like his old self.
Trevor A said Wall looked good. Trevor might be back next game. More likely the game after.

Wow, Booker was out there ? They had all 15 out there for the first time all year.
Booker sneaks in to practice then the trainers pulled him out. Booker said he never was injured in HS and College. He had a tear that he was playing on and thinks he made it worse. Maybe they finally get him right. Trainer holding him back now. Nice. Very nice.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#500 » by B-easy » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:42 am

My biggest worry is if Wall hasn't improved at all. Lets hope he is ready to take the next step.

Return to Washington Wizards