Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Re: Rumors for a Pau trade in spanish newspaper 

Post#401 » by LordBaldric » Sun Dec 9, 2012 9:35 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
shrink wrote:Pau Gasol became a pro at 16. Between FC Barcelona, Memphis, LAL, 13 seasons in the NBA, the play-offs, and the Spanish National Team, Pau Gasol has about 40,000 minutes of basketball on his odometer - and at a position that takes plenty of punishment.

I don't believe that the knee tendonitis excludes old age from being another reason for his giant decline this year.

FC stands for football club Barcelona. Oh you Americans. :lol: :lol:

@topic I'd rather take Gortat, but only if we get a SG in that deal. If Gasol meant Gasol from 5 years ago, I'd take him feeling like we stole something. At this point, I would just forget about it, knees are knees, it would be too big a risk.

Thank you. I've been wondering for years what FC stood for.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#402 » by sisibilio » Sun Dec 9, 2012 11:39 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

It's not that strange, simply the club was first created as a football club and the other sports were added later.
There are many clubs with "odd" names like tat, in Argentina for instance you have football teams that belong to multisport clubs named "Gimnasia y esgrima (gymnastics and fencing) de La Plata" or basketball teams like "Regatas (rowing) de Corrientes" depending on the sport the original club was founded for.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#403 » by FinnTheHuman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 am

sisibilio wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Hahahah I failed so hard. xD I was searching the net for what FC stands for, and there was no answer. It seems that they just took it from the football club name, no logic included. Really strange.

It's not that strange, simply the club was first created as a football club and the other sports were added later.
There are many clubs with "odd" names like tat, in Argentina for instance you have football teams that belong to multisport clubs named "Gimnasia y esgrima (gymnastics and fencing) de La Plata" or basketball teams like "Regatas (rowing) de Corrientes" depending on the sport the original club was founded for.

Still doesn't make enough sense. :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#404 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Well here you go

“@DarrenWolfson: Didn't happen. “@mnsportsinsider: @DarrenWolfson Have you been able to verify if the #TWolves offered Pek for Pau?””
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#405 » by Mattya » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Klomp wrote:Well here you go

“@DarrenWolfson: Didn't happen. “@mnsportsinsider: @DarrenWolfson Have you been able to verify if the #TWolves offered Pek for Pau?””

Well it is nice to be reaffirmed, but that won't help the rampant trade board stupidity. Once ESPN says something it is fact.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#406 » by Saltine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Yep, like when we sent Beasley to the Lakers last season, and the Ridnour to Portland trade, or when we moved Rubio to the Knicks so he'd finally come to the US to play ball...

Though without the NY/LA media bias ESPN would have nothing to post about basketball beyond LeBron.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,958

Post#407 » by shrink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm

shrink wrote: The reason a Pau Gasol trade seems so unlikely is that the team would struggle to add enough negative value to a trade to make that salary equal for two years to Pau's expected value. Sure, he may return to form - but I think even the most fervent Laker fan would admit that there is significant risk that he does not, and with one of the most expensive contracts in the NBA, that's a huge huge gamble. Normal, cost-conscious teams like the Wolves can't drop $20 mil on one, under-performing player, and hope they have much chance that the rest of the payroll can still win.

One answer may be putting another piece into the trade that has a decent amount of negative trade value for year 2. The problem is that no one on the Wolves roster right now fits that description. Roy's contract ends, Ridnour and Barea have contracts that aren't really out of sync for good back-up PG's, Williams still carries positive value on the hope he makes good. Money has value, so adding the trade difference (less than $5 mil) is just making the deal worse for the Wolves.

Let me give an example. Suppose MIN went to OKC and said, what would you give us to get out from under Perkins contract? Expiring Roy and Barea for Perkins 3-year deal - would that get us Jeremy Lamb? OKC say, "Yeah - we need to move that deal, but we need a center coming back. If it was Pek and Barea, would you consider it if we added Perry Jones?" In this example, MIN may like the price, but not want to hold onto Perkins. In that case, it might make sense talking to LAL.

Now I'm not specifically advocating a deal with OKC, but I think the format is the only way to do a Gasol trade. We need to split a good asset into a very good one and a bad one (2-year overpaid but productive?), and then include the bad one in a package we'd send for Gasol.

Any ideas?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#408 » by shrink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Maybe Ridnour for Beasley and a Top 12 protected pick?

PHX wants to move Beasley on his new $5.75/$6.0/$6.25 pg deal, and it sounds like they'd take a non-productive expiring and eat salary this year just to be rid of him. Ridnour may be a good fit, since he's productive for both years, he saves Sarver $1.75 mil this year, and their current back-up PG is Telfair.

We get Beasley, but include him in a package for Gasol - pocketing that pick? He's has negative trade value, but the Lakers were interested in him last year at the trade deadline.

I could use more names of semi-productive, overpriced players on contracts in the $5-10 mil range.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#409 » by eyeteeth » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 pm

shrink wrote:
I could use more names of semi-productive, overpriced players on contracts in the $5-10 mil range.

The only place I want to read those names are in other teams' tales of woe. :D
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#410 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:02 am

As long as Pau Gasol is a Laker, trade rumors will percolate, and as they do, they will always include the Wolves.

The fact is Kahn and Adelman love the thought of Gasol in their offense. Adelman's recipe for success in Sacramento was due in large part to Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. The Wolves look at Love and Gasol as comparable to that duo.

Gasol is an excellent passer. Adelman loves big men who excel at that. A team source said Taylor is willing to go over the luxury tax for the 2013-14 season if the right deal presents itself. With a salary of nearly $20 million next year, Gasol fits that mold.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_ ... ades010313
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#411 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 2:59 am

I can't imagine it happening at this point. With the way that Pau has been playing plus his age and injuries, there's just no way to make the contracts work without giving up a player more valuable than Pau is.
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#412 » by RKL » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:30 am

Klomp wrote:
As long as Pau Gasol is a Laker, trade rumors will percolate, and as they do, they will always include the Wolves.

The fact is Kahn and Adelman love the thought of Gasol in their offense. Adelman's recipe for success in Sacramento was due in large part to Chris Webber and Vlade Divac. The Wolves look at Love and Gasol as comparable to that duo.

Gasol is an excellent passer. Adelman loves big men who excel at that. A team source said Taylor is willing to go over the luxury tax for the 2013-14 season if the right deal presents itself. With a salary of nearly $20 million next year, Gasol fits that mold.

• MIN — Morris/Ebanks/Hill/Gasol
LAL — Barea(or Ridnour)/Kirleinko/Williams(or Cunningham)/Pekovic

• MIN — Morris/Hill/Gasol
LAL — Barea(or Ridnour)/Love

OR a 3-way trade..

LAL — Ridnour/Pavlovic/Aldridge

MIN — Morris/Meeks/Hill/Gasol

POR — Barea/Love
IShotTheMaid
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#413 » by IShotTheMaid » Fri Jan 4, 2013 5:47 am

RKL wrote:
Klomp wrote:

• MIN — Morris/Ebanks/Hill/Gasol
LAL — Barea(or Ridnour)/Kirleinko/Williams(or Cunningham)/Pekovic

• MIN — Morris/Hill/Gasol
LAL — Barea(or Ridnour)/Love

OR a 3-way trade..

LAL — Ridnour/Pavlovic/Aldridge

MIN — Morris/Meeks/Hill/Gasol

POR — Barea/Love

Go back to the lakers forum with that garbage and never come back.
RKL
Junior

Post#414 » by RKL » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:27 am

What's wrong with —

Morris (defensive PG that'll back up Rubio/Shved @ less than 1M)
Meeks (a SG that MIN needs because of Roy @ 1M/2yrs.)
Hill (plays PF/C, which MIN tried to sign this past offseason who gives you 10/10 @ 3.5/3yrs.)
Gasol (another PF/C who would be paired with Rubio, Adelman likes, gets you at least 10/10 & on a expiring in which you re-sign him next offseason to no more than 15M, if that, & go after another piece for your roster.)

?
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#415 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:42 am

RKL wrote:What's wrong with —

Hill (plays PF/C, which MIN tried to sign this past offseason who gives you 10/10 @ 3.5/3yrs.)
Gasol (another PF/C who would be paired with Rubio, Adelman likes, gets you at least 10/10 & on a expiring in which you re-sign him next offseason to no more than 15M, if that, & go after another piece for your roster.)

?

The problem is that every player that Minnesota is sending out is more valuable than any player coming back to Minnesota.

Pekovic and Kirilenko especially are far more valuable than anyone coming back.
RKL
Junior

Post#416 » by RKL » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:08 am

AQuintus wrote:
RKL wrote:What's wrong with —

?

The problem is that every player that Minnesota is sending out is more valuable than any player coming back to Minnesota.

Pekovic and Kirilenko especially are far more valuable than anyone coming back.

Then swap Pekovic for Cunningham for that deal.

So Gasol/Hill for Love is robbery? That's your 20/20 Love stat line right there. Since you'd still have Pekovic, MIN could also package him (or Hill) with someone else for an even better shooting guard or another piece & 2 players to fill positions in Morris/Meeks at less than 2M/2yrs. > Barea/Ridnour taking Rubio/Shved's minutes at over 4M/2-4yrs. while providing little defense.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#417 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:57 am

RKL wrote:

Kirilenko, Williams, and Barea or Ridnour is still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pau and the Lakers' crap role-players.

So Gasol/Hill for Love is robbery?

Obviously.
RKL
Junior

Post#418 » by RKL » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:09 am

AQuintus wrote:
RKL wrote:

Kirilenko, Williams, and Barea or Ridnour is still >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pau and the Lakers' crap role-players.

So Gasol/Hill for Love is robbery?

Obviously.

:lol: Williams/Barea/Ridnour are role players though. I explained how the players the Lakers have are able to help MIN & contribute but I guess you skipped that part.

For all the things looming with Love & the uncertainty down the road in 2yrs., you're exaggerating a little.
AQuintus
RealGM

Post#419 » by AQuintus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:35 am

RKL wrote:
:lol: Williams/Barea/Ridnour are role players though.

Yes, and they're significantly better than the crappy role players that are being sent to Minnesota. Also, Williams isn't a role player. He was the #2 overall pick a year and a half ago. He's a prospect that still has plenty of potential.

I explained how the players the Lakers have are able to help MIN & contribute but I guess you skipped that part.

No you haven't. You explained what position they play, that's all. You haven't explained how a handful of players that are absolutely awful on the most bench-starved team in the league would possibly make up for the loss of 3 quality starters (Love, Kirilenko, and Pekovic), a quality backup (Barea or Ridnour), and a mid-high level prospect. And you won't, because you can't.

For all the things looming with Love & the uncertainty down the road in 2yrs., you're exaggerating a little.

Key words here are "2 yrs." If things are still a mess in "2 yrs," then you can bring your crappy offers here, but not until then. Also, even if Love was about to walk away from nothing, Gasol, an old, broken down player making waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money is still a ridiculous offer, and that's not even including the Pekovic, Williams, Kirilenko, and a quality backup PG for the Lakers' trash heap they call backups.
shrink
RealGM

Post#420 » by shrink » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:59 am

RKL wrote: So Gasol/Hill for Love is robbery?

Yes. On a neutral trade board, it was universally ridiculed until the thread was locked.

Even Laker fans agreed that ...
Kobe System wrote:
Doormatt wrote:these are the kind of threads that make people hate laker fans btw.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1223792

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves