ImageImageImageImage

Ping Pong Ball Tracker

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,202

Re: Ping Pong Ball Tracker 

Post#21 » by thelead » Fri Jan 4, 2013 4:24 am

Skin wrote:I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"

I have been talking McLemore quite a bit but right now I think it's a coin flip between:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

Which leads me to believe JJ or Afflalo will be gone in the next two months.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#22 » by Skin » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:00 am

thelead wrote:
Skin wrote:I think we should rename this thread to "The Marcus Smart Lottery Ping Pong Tracker"

I have been talking McLemore quite a bit but right now I think it's a coin flip between:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

I bet it's gonna be JJ... and I bet we have no shot at Shabazz. I don't really care either.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#23 » by shadrock » Fri Jan 4, 2013 12:55 pm

thelead wrote:

McLemore
Smart
Shabazz

Im starting to really like Archie Goodwin. He has the best superstar potential of any player in the draft. Top level slasher which is exactly what we need too!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#24 » by drsd » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:14 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:I still think Shabazz is worth this gamble...

If your argument is that GM Hennigan and Coach Vaughn should teach a culture of losing in case the lottery-gods are kind, and then in case Shabazz MIGHT be a good player, then, well, I STRONGLY DISAGREE.

:)

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#25 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:30 pm

drsd wrote:If your argument is that GM Hennigan and Coach Vaughn should teach a culture of losing in case the lottery-gods are kind, and then in case Shabazz MIGHT be a good player, then, well, I STRONGLY DISAGREE...

We currently have a 12-20 record, and are on pace to only win 18 more games all season. Would you say the culture that this team has thusfar exhibited is a "culture of losing?" I only mean to say that it is possible to lose more games than you win without cultivating or in any way endorsing that "culture of losing" that is so damning to NBA franchises. The Thunder achieved it for four consecutive years, essentially. I think, under JV and Hennigan's careful guidance, we are capable of doing something similar.

We've lost each of our last, what, seven games by very narrow margins. And we're really, really trying to win each and every night. That we have not been successful in that endeavor, however, has not necessarily changed the culture or the expectations of this team. And that's an absolutely wonderful way to go, in my opinion. Fight to win every game, come up short for lack of talent, and increase both your resolve and your draft odds through that process. Draft well, acquire talent, and suddenly those same games you fought for but lost before become games that you fight for and win now. You've positioned yourself well for the future, have garnered an appreciation and a hunger for victories, and have drastically improved your personnel and ultimately your odds of long-term success in the process.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by shadrock » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:05 am

Good start to the day, Toronto, Detroit, Cavs and Wiztards all winning...
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#27 » by Horcy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:41 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:
trebone wrote:I honestly cant believe some of you wanting to lose game to maybe have a chance to at best grab a 2-3rd option a few years down the road, I would rather fight for a playoff spot and a mid 1st than end up with a Cody Zeller nolan, or shabazz who are not team changing talents

Would finishing 37-45 and lucking into the 8th spot, losing to the Miami heat by a huge margin in four consecutive games, getting the 16th pick in the draft, and overplaying our 26-30 year old veterans at the expense of our youth to achieve that end really be preferable to the alternative? Especially when several of those veterans could have been turned into youth or picks themselves, potentially speeding up and improving our rebuild to a considerable degree?

I think Redick really is the best way to illustrate this. Rank these three options:

A) Trade JJ Redick for a pick that forecasts in the 10-15 range in the 2014 NBA Draft
B) Keep JJ Redick, then let him walk for nothing as a free agent.
C) Re-sign JJ Redick to a multiyear deal starting at $8,500,000 a season, rewarding him for being a fan favorite and an Orlando Magic icon....while simultaneously destroying future cap flexibility and resulting in a platoon of aging role-playing SGs making, combined, almost $17,000,000.

I like Redick, and like him a lot, but in my eyes (C) is by far the worst position for this team moving forward (with [A] the best). I'd rather lose Redick for nothing this offseason than sign him to a large contract with Afflalo already locked up at almost $8,000,000 a season. I honestly am not sure that Redick/Afflalo at $17,000,000 brings all that more to the table than the Bulls debilitating $15,500,000 Boozer deal. It's just not prudent when you're competing with teams who have guys like LeBron James signed for 12.x million a year fighting for the same prize. And if your goal is not to win a championship, then, well, we are very different sorts of fans.

In any given four year period, I'd rather lose horribly three times and win everything one time than eek into the playoffs all four seasons. And I am absolutely positive any GM who has ever actually won anything would agree. There is no harder position, as a sports fan, than putting all of your faith in a team that you know, with confidence, is good but not good enough. That's what we were with Dwight last season, and really the season before as well. Give me youth and hope and potential, ultimately culminating in something very special, over a string of consecutive playoff births (and series losses) any day of the week.

Wow, the best post of the year so far :wordyo:
Definitely man. Sad but true. We all like JJ but we can't give him a luxury contract to be a 6th man.
thelead
RealGM

Post#28 » by thelead » Sun Jan 6, 2013 2:44 am

updated
shadrock
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by shadrock » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:54 am

Wall scheduled to return in 2 weeks according to wiretap, hoping that means the wiz win more games!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#30 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 2:27 pm

I was all for playing to win and make a push for the playoffs. We were close, and if healthy, would've been the 8th seed. However, with our recent losing streak and string of injuries, I'm full on board with the tank. I'm excited with every CLOSE loss (big blowouts piss me off cause this team is better than that) and will be watching more and more college games.

What's our ranking now?
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#31 » by MrOrlando » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:47 pm

Guys I'm not gonna lie to you, I kind of hoped Orlando would drop 12 straight, win two games, then drop 9 more in a row. I'm not evil, I just want a good pick in the lottery.
thelead
RealGM

Post#32 » by thelead » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:03 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:I was all for playing to win and make a push for the playoffs. We were close, and if healthy, would've been the 8th seed. However, with our recent losing streak and string of injuries, I'm full on board with the tank. I'm excited with every CLOSE loss (big blowouts piss me off cause this team is better than that) and will be watching more and more college games.

What's our ranking now?

Tied for sixth still but watch New Orleans climb above us. They are 3-2 since Eric Gordon's return (with a win over the Spurs).
thelead
RealGM

Post#33 » by thelead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 am

Updated.

Took sole posesssion of 6th worst record tonight. The same night that my boy McLemore went for 33 points on TWELVE shots!

drsd
RealGM

Post#34 » by drsd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:24 am

thelead wrote:Updated.

Took sole posesssion of 6th worst record tonight. The same night that my boy McLemore went for 33 points on TWELVE shots!

McLemore is up to #1 on some draft-projection sites. NBAdraft.net has Marcus Smart at #6. He is a classic bench player. Does the Magic really need to be drafting its bench? I think not.

Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#35 » by Tarot Magician » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 am

1991-1992: 17 game losing streak. With the 1st pick, Magic pick Shaq
2003-2004: 19 game losing streak. With the 1st pick, Magic pick Dwight

As cool as it would be to not dip down to those streaks, if third time's a charm...
Though none of the centers blow my mind.
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#36 » by Tarot Magician » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 am

If Magic get McLemore, I'd hope they continue to play Afflalo out of position at the 3. It'd mean losing more games next year, too, but that's the draft everyone's crazy about.
thelead
RealGM

Post#37 » by thelead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 am

drsd wrote:

McLemore is up to #1 on some draft-projection sites. NBAdraft.net has Marcus Smart at #6. He is a classic bench player. Does the Magic really need to be drafting its bench? I think not.

So you also doubt Hennigan and his staff can find a great player with a great pick? There are many on this board that are still stuck on Otis's drafting abilities. There are plenty of starters in this year's draft. We have to trust that Hennigan can find the really good starter with a great pick.
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 am

thelead wrote:So you also doubt Hennigan and his staff can find a great player with a great pick? There are many on this board that are still stuck on Otis's drafting abilities. There are plenty of starters in this year's draft. We have to trust that Hennigan can find the really good starter with a great pick.

I doubt the coming draft in its entirety. There are 2-5 mid-quality starters and some nice role-players, but not a single "That guy's a stud" type players.

I do trust Hennigan and I think he can find a starter at #10 as easily as #5. So, just win!!!

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#39 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:35 pm

drsd wrote:
thelead wrote:So you also doubt Hennigan and his staff can find a great player with a great pick? There are many on this board that are still stuck on Otis's drafting abilities. There are plenty of starters in this year's draft. We have to trust that Hennigan can find the really good starter with a great pick.

I doubt the coming draft in its entirety. There are 2-5 mid-quality starters and some nice role-players, but not a single "That guy's a stud" type players.

I do trust Hennigan and I think he can find a starter at #10 as easily as #5. So, just win!!!

I think there will be some gems in this draft; it will just be a matter of finding them. No draft has only produced two or three mid-quality starters and nothing else. Even the worst traft of all time produced Michael Redd, Jamal Crawford, Kenyon Martin, Hedo Turkoglu, Mike Miller, Quentin Richardson, and Keyon Dooling.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#40 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm

I think most people are going a little overboard dismissing this draft. There will be 5 good, valuable players in this draft and they won't all go in the top 5 picks.

Return to Orlando Magic