Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Rudy Gay (Grantland) 

Post#1 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:18 pm

:reporter: :reporter: :reporter:

The Sensible Candidates

Minnesota Timberwolves

This might be the easiest fit on the board. Minnesota has plenty of cushion between its current cap level and the luxury tax. They also have Andrei Kirilenko, a tweener forward on a semi-expiring $9.8 million deal, and a bunch of interesting pieces in the $4 million-$5 million range. It’s very easy to build a Minny-Memphis trade around Kirilenko/Gay that gets Memphis under the tax and provides either an intriguing high lottery pick (Derrick Williams) or a useful guard to round out the Grizz’s rotation (Luke Ridnour, J.J. Barea). Memphis would have to send out a cheap piece, such as Tony Wroten, in some scenarios, and the Grizz could also ask Minnesota to return a Memphis 2013 first-rounder originally sent to Houston for Shane Battier.

It’s not a no-brainer for Minnesota, obviously. Gay has gotten better as a cutter, but he’s still a ball-dominator at heart with a “blah” efficiency level, and such players aren't exactly Rick Adelman types — especially not with Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love around to dominate the ball. Bringing in Gay’s giant contract, which runs through 2014-15, would also make it hard for the Wolves to re-sign Nikola Pekovic at a fair number this summer. The Wolves could simply stand pat and have a decent chunk of cap room, assuming they end up voiding the second year of Brandon Roy’s deal.

So why even think about it? Minnesota, as of now, would only get that theoretical chunk of cap room if Kirilenko declines his $10.2 million option for next season in hopes of landing a longer-term deal at similar annual money. He’s played well enough to earn such a deal, but he’s nearly 32, and the Wolves might prefer to trade him rather than watch him walk or pay him big money into his mid-30s. If they shed Barea’s long-term contract in the Gay deal, Minnesota could build around the Rubio/Love/Gay/Alexey Shved core through 2014-15 — and even have some cap flexibility in the summer of 2014 for another piece or two.

Minnesota wants to make the playoffs this season. They’re starved for wing players and overloaded at power forward. It’s worth thinking about, especially if the Wolves could get a second cheap wing along with Gay. Quincy Pondexter’s knee injury and the prohibition against Minnesota reacquiring Wayne Ellington this season complicate things, and Minnesota rightfully believes it should emerge as a very strong team once everyone gets healthy — if that happens.

Rudy's salary:
2012/13 - 2014/15
$16,460,538 $17,888,932 $19,317,326
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: Rudy Gay (Grantland) 

Post#2 » by The J Rocka » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:21 pm

I really like AK though. I don't think he would leave us tbh but his age and durability come in question, especially as time passes. No doubt Gay makes us a better team with his offense and he's younger option. Very interesting.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:22 pm

I think trading Kirilenko for Gay actually makes us worse.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#4 » by Mattya » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:26 pm

I like Rudy, but AK47's defense is far to important to this team.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#5 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think trading Kirilenko for Gay actually makes us worse.

Agreed. I don't know why Minnesota would want to get worse and make Memphis better. Minnesota needs a 2 guard, not another SF at $16M.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#6 » by lobishome » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:50 pm

I like it

Next year is AK option

AK is 32 and Gay 26

Bjelica is playing well

Shved and Gay can play at 3

We need shooters
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#7 » by Esohny » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:54 pm

Too expensive since it would probably cost Pekovic. And AK47 is playing a great all around game; I'd love to see him kept around on a 2-3 year deal at a lower annual cost than what he's currently on.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#8 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:15 pm

Is there anyway to do it without giving up AK? Then hopefully AK opts out and we can sign him to a lower amount. We'll reduce his work load to keep him healthy.

Maybe D-Will, Roy, Ridnour/Barea for Gay?

Rubio (32)/Ridnour or Barea (16)
Shved (30)/Budinger (18)
Gay(36)/AK(12)
Love(20))/AK(18)/Cunningham(10)
Pekovic (32)/Love (16)/Stiemsma (0)
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#9 » by kmgarnett21 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:59 pm

Heck. No!

Anything that makes it more difficult for us to re-sign Pekovic does not make sense to me.

Plus, like others have said, AK's defense/intangibles are more important than what Gay could bring us.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#10 » by guille_4 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:04 pm

I wouldn't touch Gay's contract with a stick.

Borderline allstar owed 17 and 19M in the next two years? He's also a chucker that's not even scoring at a high rate this season.
LedeniZZZ
Senior
And1: 172

Post#11 » by LedeniZZZ » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:41 pm

If he had better contract it would be worth considering... but right now ... hell no...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JKfZA-kMjo
call for unattainable beauty
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#12 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:43 pm

Gay makes us worse this year and probably next while being owed nearly double what Kirilenko makes. Plus we're supposed to add in a first or D.Will. I'm on board with Williams, Ridnour, Memphis 1st, etc for Gay but Kirilenko does a lot of things that don't show up in the stats that Gay does not.

Plus the "Gay" "Love" jokes would be unbearable.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Busch Legion
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#13 » by Busch Legion » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:09 pm

I know Kahn is a big Gay guy.... I wouldn't be to upset honestly.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#14 » by Calinks » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:11 pm

I think we could certainly use a Wing like Gay. Problem is fit in our system and I am not very willing to part with AK. Rudy Gay is extremely talented however and we haven't had a player that can score like him at the wing in a long time if ever.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#15 » by Jukeness » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:16 pm

Wolves definately do need another big time scorer that can ull upand hit the shot in your face, sure Kirilenko can defend and pass the ball, but that's not what the Wolves need, a set up ball movement man, they need someone to hit the shot and can be relied on. I think Kirilenko still brings a lot to the team with all aspects on defense, Gay can play defense too, but doesnt impact it like Kirilenko. Gay's contract is what brings him down.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#16 » by [RCG] » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:36 pm

This is what I come up with:

MN out: Williams, Ridnour, Roy, Memphis 1st
MN in: Gay

MEM out: Gay
MEM in: Williams, Gee/Miles, Memphis 1st, Lakers 1st

CLE in: Ridnour, Roy
CLE out: Lakers 1st

Rubio/Barea
(Budinger)/Shved
Gay/Kirilenko
Love/Kirilenko/Cunningham
Pekovic/Stiemsma

Conley/Bayless
Allen/Ellington
Williams/(Gee/Miles)/Pondexter
Randolph/Williams/Speights
Gasol/Haddadi

Irving/Ridnour
(Miles)Waiters/Gibson
(Gee)/Casspi/Walton
Thompson/Leuer/Samuels
Varejao/Zeller
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#17 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:49 pm

Esohny wrote:Too expensive since it would probably cost Pekovic. And AK47 is playing a great all around game; I'd love to see him kept around on a 2-3 year deal at a lower annual cost than what he's currently on.

this...we have a lot of work to doto resign our own this off season - bud and pek, taking on rudy puts dampers on that.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#18 » by cpfsf » Fri Jan 4, 2013 10:58 pm

These articles are from 2010.

David Kahn says he plans to call two agents at 11 o'clock Wednesday, when the NBA's free-agency negotiation period begins. I hear from a good league source that one of those two guys is Memphis forward Rudy Gay. I texted David Kahn for a confirmation or denial Monday evening and he did not respond. Minneapolis Star-Tribune

The Minnesota Timberwolves are planning to meet face-to-face with top free-agent target Rudy Gay on Thursday night, according to sources close to the situation. The Wolves, armed with an estimated $13 million in cap space, were poised to invite Gay to Minnesota with a phone call when free agency commences Thursday at 12:01 a.m. ESPN.com

Rudy Gay was a restricted free agent at the time, but their GM offered the max as opposed to just matching any offer.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#19 » by The J Rocka » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:14 pm

[RCG] wrote:This is what I come up with:

MN out: Williams, Ridnour, Roy, Memphis 1st
MN in: Gay

I wish that's all it would take. I'm not the biggest Gay fan because of his contract but we need another player that can create, slash, and shoot outside. Move Budinger to SG and have AK off the bench. Doubt that would happen though. I really like AK on our team. I'd try to get a SG first.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#20 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 4, 2013 11:47 pm

Who or what is Grantland? Is it a person or a site?

Has this source been reliable?
Dysfunctional Wolves fan

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves