ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2013 Draft Thread - Part I

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Re: ~~~2013 (DRAFT) thread ~~~tank it!! 

Post#361 » by pancakes3 » Thu Jan 3, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm officially done with the notion that youth has a premium in itself. A 1st round rookie deal lasts 4 seasons and the extension after that goes for 4-6 seasons more. You'd be lucky if a first round pick makes it that for for management to consider a 4-6 year extension. Compare that situation for a 19 year old and a 22 year old. By the time the contract ends, one would be 29 and the other 32. I just don't see the benefit of giving the advantage to the younger player. If anything it should favor the older player. Of course this doesn't apply if the guy is a generational talent like Durant nut for the most part, the "oh he's an old guy in college" argument doesn't hold water if that "old guy" is being crazy productive like Plumlee is or Fahried/Lillard/Leonard was.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#362 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 3, 2013 6:54 pm

If you're looking for a sure contributor in this draft, Andre Roberson is about as low risk as they come.

He is offensively challenged. However, unlike Chris Singleton and Jan Vesely, Andre Roberson is a very high motor athlete. He was the nation's top defensive rebounder last season and right now he's averaging 12 boards a game, which is second in the NCAA. Comes from a real good family. Roberson's dad played pro basketball overseas and his mom was a collegiate volleyball player. He's going to be a better pro than collegian IMO. Potentially, much better.

I doubt he lasts to round two, but if he is on the board Roberson is surely a GREAT SF prospect.

There is little doubt, then, that Andre Roberson is an excellent NBA prospect. When contemplating an NBA comparison, players as diverse as Shawn Marion, Kawhi Leonard, and Kenneth Faried come to mind, showing just how many different directions his development could take him and just how good he could be. He already possesses ideal size and athleticism for the NBA wing position along with excellent defensive potential and intangibles. Scouts will be watching him closely this year to see whether he can emerge as a comfortable, consistent, and prolific perimeter shooter. His NBA future is bright, regardless of his offensive development, but if he continues to improve as a scorer, then he has the chance to be a very special player at the next level.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2GwKkmCuQ
http://www.draftexpress.com
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#363 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 3, 2013 7:28 pm

Bazz or bust
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#364 » by AFM » Thu Jan 3, 2013 7:41 pm

shabazz city
lets go
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#365 » by MF23 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey nivek, have you done anything with Ben McLemore and your stuff? He's my #1 prospect in college right now and I'm wondering what his statistical weaknesses are.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#366 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:32 pm

Funny, rafy just asked me the same thing via Twitter.

YODA likes McLemore. His score in YODA is at the level of a top 2-3 pick in most drafts. His score is better than Wall's was. Right now, he's in a virtual tie with Ray Allen for highest YODA score for a freshman SG.

Muhammad rates as a top 7 pick in most drafts. His score is identical to Beal's from last season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#367 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:30 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:If you're looking for a sure contributor in this draft, Andre Roberson is about as low risk as they come.

He is offensively challenged. However, unlike Chris Singleton and Jan Vesely, Andre Roberson is a very high motor athlete. He was the nation's top defensive rebounder last season and right now he's averaging 12 boards a game, which is second in the NCAA. Comes from a real good family. Roberson's dad played pro basketball overseas and his mom was a collegiate volleyball player. He's going to be a better pro than collegian IMO. Potentially, much better.

I doubt he lasts to round two, but if he is on the board Roberson is surely a GREAT SF prospect.

There is little doubt, then, that Andre Roberson is an excellent NBA prospect. When contemplating an NBA comparison, players as diverse as Shawn Marion, Kawhi Leonard, and Kenneth Faried come to mind, showing just how many different directions his development could take him and just how good he could be. He already possesses ideal size and athleticism for the NBA wing position along with excellent defensive potential and intangibles. Scouts will be watching him closely this year to see whether he can emerge as a comfortable, consistent, and prolific perimeter shooter. His NBA future is bright, regardless of his offensive development, but if he continues to improve as a scorer, then he has the chance to be a very special player at the next level.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2GwKkmCuQ
http://www.draftexpress.com

He kind of looks like Ariza.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#368 » by Dat2U » Fri Jan 4, 2013 8:44 pm

Regarding grading draft prospects, looking back on it, I'm learning my first impressions are usually right when I *watch* someone play a handful of times, From day one Shabazz Muhammad reminded me of Jerry Stackhouse. A muscular wing with a streaky shot and an aggressive slasher who might not know how to impact the game outside of scoring 28 pts a night.

I think he's a top 5 pick in a normal year, especially with the dearth of scoring options in the league at the 2 & 3. He's also relatively a safe pick in a draft that has little certainty. But I don't think he's a franchise player and don't quite view him as #1 pick material... but considering the other contenders he could wind up be selected there based on a team's need.

Another example would be Nerlens Noel, whose game made me immediately picture a Joakim Noah or Tyson Chandler on the next level. I think in time he'll be a very solid low usage defensive-minded center. He'll make a lot of teams better, but again your not looking at an elite prospect. I could see Muhammad making more all star games but Noel having more of an impact in terms of wins and losses.

I feel very comfortable in seeing how these two fit in at the next level. Similarly Alex Len strikes me as a solid offensive weapon at the next level and a starting quality NBA center. Brook Lopez is a guy that comes to mind but Len's performance in the ACC will likely influence my opinion greatly to whether he's above or below Noel & Muhammad on the list.

I still need to see guys like McLemore & Roberson.

Polythress gives me a Thad Young type vibe. In Archie Goodwin I see a bit of Larry Hughes. I really like C.J. McCollum, reminds of Devin Harris when Harris was really balling for Dallas and immediately after he got traded to NJ.

Rudy Goubert looks like a potential bust to me. I'd stay away from him. Of course this means it will likely be the guy Ernie falls in love with because of his freakish wingspan.

Jeff Withey is a better prospect than Cole Aldrich. How much better I'm still trying to determine.

James McAdoo is bleh. I think scouts get too attached to the last name on the jersey at times. I think he's a poor man's Antawn Jamison which makes him just a guy.

Tony Mitchell strikes me as the guy with the most potential to flame out aka the Richard Dumas award.

I like Otto Porter, not sure how much though. It's tough to get a feel for G-Town guys in relation to the draft, especially if their not a C. Jeff Green was someone I could never quite get comfortable in projecting either when he came out.

Mason Plumlee strikes me as the best bet to have a solid rookie season before going on the have a completely undistinguished career aka the Eric Montross award.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#369 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:24 pm

Nivek wrote:Funny, rafy just asked me the same thing via Twitter.

YODA likes McLemore. His score in YODA is at the level of a top 2-3 pick in most drafts. His score is better than Wall's was. Right now, he's in a virtual tie with Ray Allen for highest YODA score for a freshman SG.

Muhammad rates as a top 7 pick in most drafts. His score is identical to Beal's from last season.

I see why McLemore wears #23. He really gets up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzufDLiYTNc[/youtube]
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#370 » by pancakes3 » Fri Jan 4, 2013 9:51 pm

Keep tanking until 2016 and get THIS kid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MerJpZw7Puk[/youtube]
Bullets -> Wizards
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#371 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:07 am

pancakes3 wrote:Keep tanking until 2016 and get THIS kid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MerJpZw7Puk[/youtube]

Wow that kid's head was way above the rim. Pretty impressive stuff.
Floater
Junior
And1: 43

Post#372 » by Floater » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:27 am

WE are gonna have to draft a true center either this draft or next draft. As much as we need an explosive, scoring wing, we're gonna need a young C to grow even more. Seems like there is a lot of centers in this draft.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#373 » by 80sballboy » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:59 am

Dat2U wrote:Regarding grading draft prospects, looking back on it, I'm learning my first impressions are usually right when I *watch* someone play a handful of times, From day one Shabazz Muhammad reminded me of Jerry Stackhouse. A muscular wing with a streaky shot and an aggressive slasher who might not know how to impact the game outside of scoring 28 pts a night.

I think he's a top 5 pick in a normal year, especially with the dearth of scoring options in the league at the 2 & 3. He's also relatively a safe pick in a draft that has little certainty. But I don't think he's a franchise player and don't quite view him as #1 pick material... but considering the other contenders he could wind up be selected there based on a team's need.

Another example would be Nerlens Noel, whose game made me immediately picture a Joakim Noah or Tyson Chandler on the next level. I think in time he'll be a very solid low usage defensive-minded center. He'll make a lot of teams better, but again your not looking at an elite prospect. I could see Muhammad making more all star games but Noel having more of an impact in terms of wins and losses.

I feel very comfortable in seeing how these two fit in at the next level. Similarly Alex Len strikes me as a solid offensive weapon at the next level and a starting quality NBA center. Brook Lopez is a guy that comes to mind but Len's performance in the ACC will likely influence my opinion greatly to whether he's above or below Noel & Muhammad on the list.

I still need to see guys like McLemore & Roberson.

Polythress gives me a Thad Young type vibe. In Archie Goodwin I see a bit of Larry Hughes. I really like C.J. McCollum, reminds of Devin Harris when Harris was really balling for Dallas and immediately after he got traded to NJ.

Rudy Goubert looks like a potential bust to me. I'd stay away from him. Of course this means it will likely be the guy Ernie falls in love with because of his freakish wingspan.

Jeff Withey is a better prospect than Cole Aldrich. How much better I'm still trying to determine.

James McAdoo is bleh. I think scouts get too attached to the last name on the jersey at times. I think he's a poor man's Antawn Jamison which makes him just a guy.

Tony Mitchell strikes me as the guy with the most potential to flame out aka the Richard Dumas award.

I like Otto Porter, not sure how much though. It's tough to get a feel for G-Town guys in relation to the draft, especially if their not a C. Jeff Green was someone I could never quite get comfortable in projecting either when he came out.

Mason Plumlee strikes me as the best bet to have a solid rookie season before going on the have a completely undistinguished career aka the Eric Montross award.

I'd trade the pick. There's nobody that stands out. I want to see more of Muhammad, but do we really need a 6-6 small forward? Len is the most intriguing player and I thought the same thing about Lopez, but he's more athletic. But very raw. He looked great against Kentucky but Maryland's schedule has been trash since then. Let's see how he does against the ACC. I don't like Zeller and as Chad Ford said today in his column on ESPNInsider, that he reminds them of another Vesely. He's much better but not enough to draft top 4.

McClemore is 6-5. We aren't drafting another 2 guard. Plumlee is no Montross but has no skills other than running and dunking. Noel is raw and Otto Porter reminds me a little of a longer, more athletic Jeff Green or even a more well rounded Rudy Gay with less scoring touch. I really like him and I think their system holds him back some.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#374 » by Dat2U » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:37 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Nivek wrote:Funny, rafy just asked me the same thing via Twitter.

I see why McLemore wears #23. He really gets up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzufDLiYTNc[/youtube]

Watching this vid he looks similar to Beal. Maybe a better shooter and definitely a better athlete but even less of a slasher. To be an elite SG you MUST have some shot creation skills. Right now beyond a straight line drive, McLemore's is limited. That inability to create means he's not someone I'd be looking at in the top 5.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#375 » by MF23 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 5:10 am

I see what your saying but McLemore looks comfortable with the ball in his hands. Don't believe he's incapable of driving but he may not have the confidence in it yet. He's better than DWade was at that age but Wade was pretty mentally tough. He's definitely a two way player and I see his game translating well to the NBA. Maybe only Austin seems safer to translate to the NBA for me. I project McLemore better than Austin in the NBA.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#376 » by mhd » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:58 pm

Heads up, Alex Len against Va Tech for Terps ACC opener at noon.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#377 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:20 pm

Wiz have a 4-game lead in the tank battle. Charlotte, NO, and Cleveland are all tied for 2nd worst team with 8 wins ea. After John returns I think it would be realistic to expect that we will get ourselves out of that bottom position.
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/group/1
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#378 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:30 pm

closg00 wrote:Wiz have a 4-game lead in the tank battle. Charlotte, NO, and Cleveland are all tied for 2nd worst team with 8 wins ea. After John returns I think it would be realistic to expect that we will get ourselves out of that bottom position.

AV should be back this week for the Cavs and Eric Gordon is back for the Hornets. I think the real tank competition will come from the Cats. They really suck.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#379 » by Induveca » Mon Jan 7, 2013 12:27 am

tontoz wrote:
closg00 wrote:Wiz have a 4-game lead in the tank battle. Charlotte, NO, and Cleveland are all tied for 2nd worst team with 8 wins ea. After John returns I think it would be realistic to expect that we will get ourselves out of that bottom position.

AV should be back this week for the Cavs and Eric Gordon is back for the Hornets. I think the real tank competition will come from the Cats. They really suck.

Agreed I had the misfortune of watching a few Bobcats games this year.....I actually thought they would improve. They are unbelievably bad. That hot start, not sure what happened there.

Kemba Walker reminds me a lot of Juan Dixon. That's not a good thing in the pros. I say that with a heavy heart, as Walker grew up in the same building as some of my family in the Bronx. By all accounts he is a really good kid.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#380 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:18 am

This team will definitely get better when Wall gets back. If Wall is worth just one extra point per game, it would make a significant difference in our win-loss record. With one extra point per game, our current record would be 9-23 instead of 4-28. And I expect Wall to be worth more than 1 point.

Return to Washington Wizards