Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,700

Re: Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely - reinstated 12/25 

Post#161 » by montestewart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Nivek wrote:I'm sure there are, and I'd be happier trading for one of them if they were available. Productive players who are solid guys generally aren't available at a discount, though. Wizards need to take some chances on guys at a discount, because that's all they can afford -- they don't have the resources to pay full price.

Who can know all the details, but it sounds like perhaps they might have had the resources to get a productive player and solid guy (Harden) without a discount, and they blew it. I don't mind them taking chances, but Terd and Ernie have conditioned me to expect them to blow this one too.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#162 » by Nivek » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:28 pm

In a sense, the Harden deal would have been a discount since they'd have been giving up a "diamond in the rough" (Beal) for an established "diamond" (Harden). They'd have been trading potential for "proven" at that point. If they gave up something like Seraphin and Crawford, they'd be swapping guys who are likely to max out at average (IF they can become that good) in exchange for a headcase who could max out at All-Star.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#163 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 1:42 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Of_Excuses

DeMarcus Cousins returned from his indefinite suspension earlier than the team had expected.

Cousins arrived for a Christmas Eve practice.

"When he apologized to the team, two players stood up and said, 'We've heard this bull[bleep] before,'" the source said. "'You're either going to be with us, or you're not. We don't want to hear any more excuses.'"

The Kings have tried to persuade Cousins to enter counseling.

This would make for a good place for Mr Cousins to choose as rock bottom.

Take takes another 10% off the sale price

Sounds like SAC Town is a complete mess.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#164 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 1, 2013 2:59 am

Nivek wrote:In a sense, the Harden deal would have been a discount since they'd have been giving up a "diamond in the rough" (Beal) for an established "diamond" (Harden). They'd have been trading potential for "proven" at that point. If they gave up something like Seraphin and Crawford, they'd be swapping guys who are likely to max out at average (IF they can become that good) in exchange for a headcase who could max out at All-Star.

You're right, and while Harden had no Cousins-like issues that forced the Thunder to deal him, his meriting a max contract they apparently felt they couldn't afford forced them to consider trades. Still, Harden would have been (to me) a great addition, and the Wizards appear to have done nothing much about it. I expect them to either never seriously pursue Cousins, or to bungle it and lose him or pay too much in trade. I really have no faith right now in their abilities to improve the team.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#165 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:04 am

Yeah, a guy like Harden should have been a no-brainer move for a team in the Wizards position. Young, productive, likely to continue improving. They might have overpaid in salary for the first year or two, but they could have looked forward to 8 years of All-Star level production. I think Beal will be good, but the hope is that he might one day be as good as Harden already is.

But the Wiz had already blown their money on Okafor and Ariza.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#166 » by AFM » Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:38 am

Someone needs to remake The Notebook's DVD cover with Wall and Cuz.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#167 » by inquisitive » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:17 am

Looks like the Wiz are the front runners for Cousins:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-r ... washington

"The team he is most likely to end up with is Washington, but Boston, Houston, and Detroit are also in the running. The most interesting situation might be if he ended up with Houston in terms of actually impacting a team's chances to win, but any team taking a chance on this big man must be willing to also watch him self-implode as his track record suggests".
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#168 » by mohammed10 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:11 am

inquisitive wrote:Looks like the Wiz are the front runners for Cousins:

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-r ... washington

"The team he is most likely to end up with is Washington, but Boston, Houston, and Detroit are also in the running. The most interesting situation might be if he ended up with Houston in terms of actually impacting a team's chances to win, but any team taking a chance on this big man must be willing to also watch him self-implode as his track record suggests".

:beer:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#169 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:35 am

We really need Seraphin to start playing like he did last year and up his trade value. If Seraphin continues to play like crap, we really have no assets other than Beal or a first round pick. And I'd prefer not to give up either (unless that pick has substantial protection).
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#170 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:43 am

nate33 wrote:We really need Seraphin to start playing like he did last year and up his trade value. If Seraphin continues to play like crap, we really have no assets other than Beal or a first round pick. And I'd prefer not to give up either (unless that pick has substantial protection).

Yeah, the Kings would be absolutely insane to trade Cousins for anything less than a lottery pick and a decent young player. Dude just scored 31 pts and had 20 rebs. I can't remember a Wiz player in my lifetime that could actually do that. There's no way they're only taking Nene or Seraphin for him.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#171 » by Knighthonor » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:16 am

hands11 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225159/Kings_Suspend_Cousins_Indefinitely

So this was the fella some of you wanted us to draft ?

As if this franchise didn't have enough issue.

Maybe one day he will be an asset but the kid has some growing up to do.

At some point the risk may be worth it. If he keep this stuff up he should become available for less. Kind of like what happen to Dray. Maybe now is the time.

God that was stupid paying Dray all that money to leave. Never sell low. Hell, they didn't even sell low. They paid him to go low.

Hey hands this is DC.
Kind of reminds me of the CWebber trade over "immaturity". That stuff can be delt with out the game. But in the game, if they have talent, just play them, and concern over personal can be delt with in private, not in media. Because it has nothing to do with how well they play.

The CWebber incident in DC should have taught DC Wizard fans, to not care about how the media makes players personal life issues seem like a big deal.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Re: Kings Suspend Cousins Indefinitely 

Post#172 » by Knighthonor » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:06 am

Dat2U wrote:I'd have no problem trading Seraphin and any one of (Vesely, Booker, Crawford or Singleton) for Cousins.

Seraphin is another high usage, low efficiency big like Cousins. Only Cousins is far more talented and already an elite rebounder.

To me, its not much risk. I wouldn't include any pick and losing Seraphin & filler isn't a big deal considering the other disastrous deals we've made recently.

If Cousins is a problem, he just won't be in our long term plans. But he gets a 2nd chance in DC with his best friend. I suspect he'll try a little harder than he did in Sacramento.

Lol trading Crawford..... you people lost your mind.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#173 » by MJG » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:28 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
nate33 wrote:We really need Seraphin to start playing like he did last year and up his trade value. If Seraphin continues to play like crap, we really have no assets other than Beal or a first round pick. And I'd prefer not to give up either (unless that pick has substantial protection).

Yeah, the Kings would be absolutely insane to trade Cousins for anything less than a lottery pick and a decent young player. Dude just scored 31 pts and had 20 rebs. I can't remember a Wiz player in my lifetime that could actually do that. There's no way they're only taking Nene or Seraphin for him.

Ahem ;)
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#174 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 3:36 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Christ, if we trade our lottery pick next year for Cousins, that may be enough to finally drive me away from being a Bullets fan. I've put up with decades of immature spoiled losers from Webber/Howard to Arenas to the recent McGee/Young team but DeMarcus Cousins is one of the least attractive players in the NBA with his inefficiency and his piss poor attitude and defense. He may be the next Zach Randolph, but he may also be the next Marvin Barnes and NBA history says there are more Marvin Barnes flameouts than Zach Randolph type maturing though the coke habits seem to have become less of a factor. He isn't worth a top 10 pick; not even one 2 or 3 years away.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
McGully Culkin
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#175 » by McGully Culkin » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:04 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Christ, if we trade our lottery pick next year for Cousins, that may be enough to finally drive me away from being a Bullets fan. I've put up with decades of immature spoiled losers from Webber/Howard to Arenas to the recent McGee/Young team but DeMarcus Cousins is one of the least attractive players in the NBA with his inefficiency and his piss poor attitude and defense. He may be the next Zach Randolph, but he may also be the next Marvin Barnes and NBA history says there are more Marvin Barnes flameouts than Zach Randolph type maturing though the coke habits seem to have become less of a factor. He isn't worth a top 10 pick; not even one 2 or 3 years away.

This Wizards team has NOTHING to lose by trying to bring in Cousins. Absolutely nothing. Let's say this deal happens...if if it blows up, we're in the exact same spot that we're in right now. If it works out, MAYBE this is a franchise changing move we've all been clamoring for.

At this point, I'm a beaten down fan. I'll never jump ship from this team no matter how bad things are. I want them to get better, but who knows the actual direction of this team from the front office POV? EVERY move they've made and all the "promises" that were mentioned have been nothing short of disasters. Cousins, represents the classic high risk/high reward player. As I mentioned in another post, with what little chips we may have left, we need to go "all in" as far as trying to bring Boogie to DC.

After thinking about it, I would make Beal (and Wall) untouchable. Anyone else (and a top-5 protected 2013 pick) can be had in this potential Demarcus Cousins trade.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#176 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:28 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, Kwame Brown scored over 30 with 20 rebs before vs the Kings and Chris Webber. Maybe it was 17 rebs. But yeah we need to try to get Demarcus Cousins. Send them whatever we can besides Beal or Wall. A package of Serphain and our first next year (top 5 protected) should get the deal done. I would take Cousins over anyone in the up coming draft. But the problem is he is an inefficient scorer in the paint and a head case.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#177 » by GhostsOfGil » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:39 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Kwame brown says how dare u forget about him.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#178 » by montestewart » Sat Jan 5, 2013 4:56 pm

MJG wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:

Ahem ;)

Here's a good list
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... der_by=pts
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#179 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 6, 2013 2:40 am

Posted this in the Games Discussion Thread but it's worth a repost here.

Cousins has been flat-out beasting lately.

His last 4 games....

21pts / 14rebs / 2asts / 3stls
18pts / 16rebs / 6asts / 2stls / 1blk
31pts / 20rebs / 4asts / 2stls
28pts / 11rebs / 3asts / 1blk

4-game average is 24.5pts / 15.2rebs / 3.8asts / 1.8stls / 52.7%fg

Get this man, Ernie. Make it your farewell trade!
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#180 » by mohammed10 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 2:51 am

miller31time wrote:Posted this in the Games Discussion Thread but it's worth a repost here.

Cousins has been flat-out beasting lately.

His last 4 games....

21pts / 14rebs / 2asts / 3stls
18pts / 16rebs / 6asts / 2stls / 1blk
31pts / 20rebs / 4asts / 2stls
28pts / 11rebs / 3asts / 1blk

4-game average is 24.5pts / 15.2rebs / 3.8asts / 1.8stls / 52.7%fg

Get this man, Ernie. Make it your farewell trade!

+ 1,000,000
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards