Gary Neal

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Gary Neal 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Jan 4, 2013 7:23 pm

I was a huge fan of Neal when he first came here and this summer I was confident he could handle the backup PG role. But his play at PG has been getting increasingly worse, I mean the guy can barely handle getting the ball across half court and if he does he usually just turns it over or forces up a terrible shot.

Its time for Pops to make a change, Mills and Del Colo are both more than capable of taking over that role.

I don't know how much more of Neal's piss poor ball handling and decision making I can take.

Thoughts?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Re: Gary Neal 

Post#2 » by Donald Kaufman » Sat Jan 5, 2013 1:24 pm

I cringe every time he handles the rock. He's not a PG and never has been, at least not in the traditional sense. He's a catch and shoot guy and that's all we can really expect from him, because he's really good in that role.

He still has value on this team IMO, but I wish Ford didn't go down last year because he is exactly the type of backup we need.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Sat Jan 5, 2013 5:42 pm

^
I really don't see his value anymore. Mills is a better shooter and a better fit to Manu off the bench.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#4 » by Donald Kaufman » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:09 am

Mills is not a backup PG, not on a contender at least. He's 3rd string at best. He doesn't look to distribute, he only ever looks for his own shot. And he's not as effective a scorer as Neal. Neal's inability to handle the ball is nothing new. It's been like this since he got into the NBA. I'd hoped he might develop this part of his game but he hasn't. Still, I take him every single time over Patty Mills.
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#5 » by co_laper » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:52 am

Where is this coming from? The New York game?

I see no problem with Neal's ballhandling skills at all. It's his shot selection and passing that is the problem. But he's a solid ballhandler.

If we're talking strictly pure PG skills, Nando is the best of the three. But the fact is that the second unit almost always have Manu there as the primary playmaker. Neal or Mills sometimes take turns and initiate the offense, but Manu is the PG.

Because of that, the question becomes "Who fits better with Manu?" instead of "Who is the best PG?" I mean, you know that with Manu or Parker on the floor, everybody else essentially plays SG.

Neal, if he is without Manu or Parker on the floor, sucks like hell. He'll launch ill advised shots and generally look for 3 point shots or long jumpers. But when he's with Manu or Parker on the floor, he's better than Mills or Nando.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Mon Jan 7, 2013 1:15 pm

co_laper wrote:Where is this coming from? The New York game?

I see no problem with Neal's ballhandling skills at all. It's his shot selection and passing that is the problem. But he's a solid ballhandler.

If we're talking strictly pure PG skills, Nando is the best of the three. But the fact is that the second unit almost always have Manu there as the primary playmaker. Neal or Mills sometimes take turns and initiate the offense, but Manu is the PG.

Because of that, the question becomes "Who fits better with Manu?" instead of "Who is the best PG?" I mean, you know that with Manu or Parker on the floor, everybody else essentially plays SG.

Neal, if he is without Manu or Parker on the floor, sucks like hell. He'll launch ill advised shots and generally look for 3 point shots or long jumpers. But when he's with Manu or Parker on the floor, he's better than Mills or Nando.

Its been brewing with me for a while and the New York game was kinda the tipping point for me with all those careless turnovers.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#7 » by Bertrob » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:10 am

Can someone explain why his 3-point percentage has plummeted this year?
co_laper
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#8 » by co_laper » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am

36% is still pretty good. But I mean Gary takes a lot of crazy shot selection. I believe there was some article that came out recently saying that Gary has been in a shooting slump lately. Gary won us some games this year already with his hot shooting. We haven't lost many and the games we lost, we can't really blame it on Gary either. So I'm perfectly fine with his shooting so far.

Gary Neal is our version of Jamal Crawford/JR Smith. Manu hasn't been aggresive enough this year and generally look to feed guys instead now that we have more offensive weapons on our team.

Return to San Antonio Spurs