ImageImageImageImageImage

1-800-SAVE-PAU

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

KB24TBOTB
RealGM
And1: 329

Re: Trade Pau pt. 3 - 'the hunt is onnnnn...!!!' 

Post#181 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:06 pm

Why are people acting like Memphis wants Gasol? Their FC is already set no idea why they would want 20 million coming of the bench..
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Pau couldn't start for any team 

Post#182 » by TyCobb » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:27 pm

Has pau ever been this vocal about a system not fitting him before?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#183 » by AcecardZ » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:47 pm

TyCobb wrote:Has pau ever been this vocal about a system not fitting him before?

That's just Pau making excuses for piss poor play...

Is anybody in the league more overpaid than Pau at this point? $19 million for the production he's giving us is an absolute joke. He should be ashamed.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#184 » by semi-sentient » Sat Jan 5, 2013 7:59 pm

Pau is bitching about the system to draw away attention from his atrocious defense, and people are eating it up by pointing out his short-comings on offense.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#185 » by aroba » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:12 pm

LOL
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#186 » by Jajwanda » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:15 pm

KB24TBOTB wrote:Why are people acting like Memphis wants Gasol? Their FC is already set no idea why they would want 20 million coming of the bench..

I haven't seen anyone suggesting a straight up trade.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by semi-sentient » Sat Jan 5, 2013 8:29 pm

Nanogeek wrote:You guys aren't paying attention.

Gasol has played 52% of all Laker minutes. The Lakers are +5.3 with him on the court. When Gasol is not on the court the Lakers are -0.9. GASOL IS NOT THE ISSUE WITH THE LAKERS. You guys need to drop this scapegoat crap.

I think perhaps you're not paying attention.

The reason the Lakers are +5.3 is because of Pau's teammates. Kobe and Howard (and now Nash) have provided good production on offense, and Howard, Hill, Ebanks, and Metta have played quality defense. Gasol has done very little positive this season (individually) so that's a classic case of misinterpreting advanced stats. Do you think he's out there drawing defenders, scoring efficiently, and making it easier for others to score? Is he protecting the basket from penetration or boxing out?

Please tell me what Pau currently does that contributes to that +5.3.

I can only imagine how much more in the positive we'd be if Hill or Artest were starting instead of Pau. In fact it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that number doubled.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#188 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:10 pm

After he endured his fourth benching in the fourth quarter since Mike D’Antoni was hired as coach, there is no denying Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol is having a hard time fitting in with the team he once helped win two championships.

The Lakers ultimately could decide they just can’t make it work with the former four-time All-Star; however, it won’t be Gasol pushing his way out of town.

“No, oh, that’s radical,” Gasol said when asked whether he would request a trade following the Lakers’ 107-102 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday. “I still believe. I still have faith in what we have. I still have faith that I can be a big part in helping this team succeed. Right now, I’m not being able to do that very often.”

Gasol finished with just two points on 1-for-6 shooting along with four rebounds and two assists in 27 minutes against the Clippers. He sat the entire fourth quarter until Dwight Howard fouled out with 1:07 remaining and Gasol finished off the game in his stead.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=11961#ixzz2H8b1gMkA
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#189 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:17 pm

Jajwanda wrote:
KB24TBOTB wrote:Why are people acting like Memphis wants Gasol? Their FC is already set no idea why they would want 20 million coming of the bench..

I haven't seen anyone suggesting a straight up trade.

Maybe not a straight up but i've seen one that suggests Pau going to Memphis..
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by semi-sentient » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:44 pm

So I went through some +/- stats to see if my observations matched up with the data and it appears that there has been some merit to my argument for moving Pau to the bench.

Code: Select all

Center   PF         MP       +     Per Min.
============================================
Howard   Hill       75:53    62    0.816
Gasol    Hill       92:27    63    0.681
Howard   Gasol      217:13   65    0.299

Clearly Howard/Gasol is not working, and from what we've all seen Pau does play better when he's moved to the center.

I personally think the trade talk is coming too soon and we should at least try a Howard/Hill starting FC with Gasol/Metta backing them up. We're still going to have to play Gasol at the 4 for 10-12 minutes per game, but overall we can reduce his minutes (26 per game would be nice) and simply give Hill more time on the floor with Howard.
IamBBAnalysis
Pro Prospect
And1: 496

Post#191 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:47 pm

HiiiPOWER wrote:
ROballer wrote:
HiiiPOWER wrote:

Nobody's paying attention to you because +/- is a dumb statistic. It incorporates everybody else that Pau's on the floor with and not just his very own play when that's exactly what we are evaluating... Pau Gasol's very own play.

He, himself, is shooting 30% in post up situations and wants more post ups. Not getting " post touches " is his scapegoat/excuse. He's horrible. He has no lift on his jump hooks. He gets pushed off the block and moved with ease. He's flails and flops and is always off balance. Ronnie Brewer shut him down on the low block a couple games ago. He's done. Furthermore, he hasn't been a power forward for years now and he can't serve as the anchor of a defense, so he's not what you want @ center either.

Minnesota is the only team that values Pau Gasol and it's because Adelman views him as a Vlade Divac in his system. Think about that for a second. The once great Pau Gasol is now viewed as a Vlade Divac. Lakers don't need any part of that. If Adelman thinks he can make Gasol work, more power to him and good luck.

You should take your talents to the GB and school some fools :lol: :lol:

Posts like these are getting fewer and fewer,but they still happen occasionally

fart wrote:Pau Gasol is still one of the best post players in the league and a top 5 big man, it is not his fault Pringles has him shooting threes instead of giving him touches in the post every other possession.

I

It annoys me when I see people still talking about Pau Gasol like he's elite and saying that we shouldn't criticize him or want him traded because of what he did for the Lakers in the past. That's loser talk. The past is the past. Shaquille O'Neal was traded. Pau Gasol can be traded. Pau Gasol WAS traded. ****! We should have CP3 right now. SMH. But they can still make this thing work with an older Nash because he's highly skilled, but Nash is 38 years old... Nash can't carry Pau Gasol on his back. Nash is too old for that mess. Trade Pau AGAIN and get some contributers who can stand on their own 2 feet and help Nash... not the other way around where Nash has to spoon feed those players.

Go get Trevor Ariza back, 1st of all. All I could think about last night was how great it would be to have Ariza defending CP3 because that's what Ariza was for us. He was LAL's Sefolosha. Athletic, long, and able to defend quick guards and work around screens defensively. Instead of starting Morris next Kobe... go get Ariza and start Ariza if you want defense. ****. Trade Jodie Meeks, Jamison, all the other expiring contracts like Ebanks/Clark... whatever.

And deal Gasol and get it over with so D'antoni can start building his rotation before it's too late. We all know that Minnesota is the only team that wants Gasol. Maybe Kupchak is waiting to see what other players pop up on opposing team's trade block like Rudy Gay did... Millsap will for sure. But even if it has to be Ridnour, Derrick Williams, Brandon Roy's broke knees and a 1st round pick... do it and get it over with. The bottom line is Gasol is going to end up in Minnesota by way of a straight up 2 team deal, 3-team deal, or a 4-team deal. So at least that part is known. Nobody else wants Pau Gasol.

Not sure why people would want to trade Meeks unless you get 2 or 3 good wings coming in with some trade as well. Meeks has a very good small contract. Yeah, he's really streaky so ideally what you want is to have him be a back up where he does not have to have heavy minutes. The problem right now is the Lakers do not have any other options and Meeks is cold.

I also think once the Lakers start getting more spacing on offense that will really help Meeks. This guy can hit 5 or 6 3's in a row easily. Just tell him to not go 1 on 3 on fast breaks please. :o
IamBBAnalysis
Pro Prospect
And1: 496

Post#192 » by IamBBAnalysis » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:49 pm

semi-sentient wrote:So I went through some +/- stats to see if my observations matched up with the data and it appears that there has been some merit to my argument for moving Pau to the bench.

Code: Select all

Center   PF         MP       +     Per Min.
============================================
Howard   Hill       75:53    62    0.816
Gasol    Hill       92:27    63    0.681
Howard   Gasol      217:13   65    0.299

Clearly Howard/Gasol is not working, and from what we've all seen Pau does play better when he's moved to the center.

I personally think the trade talk is coming too soon and we should at least try a Howard/Hill starting FC with Gasol/Metta backing them up. We're still going to have to play Gasol at the 4 for 10-12 minutes per game, but overall we can reduce his minutes (26 per game would be nice) and simply give Hill more time on the floor with Howard.

If anything you move Artest to the starting lineup to replace Gasol. Gasol should have HIll alongside him for toughness and rebounding help and Artest should have Howard for rebounding. Plus the starters need more spacing to start the game.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#193 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:50 pm

Mark Medina@MedinaLakersNBA: Pau Gasol reiterated his desire to play more in the post and play in the 4th quarter

Why exactly should you be allowed to play in the 4th Gasol. Why? So you can let the opposing team pnr you to death? Or so you can keep your passive ass on the perimeter forcing the lakers to play 4v5? This wanting to play in the post is just such a cop out
LAFan24
Junior
And1: 9

Pau as a role player 

Post#194 » by LAFan24 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:52 pm

Since "Defense" is our main concern at the moment, I think our problems can be solved with this lineup

Dwight
Jordan Hill
Metta World
Kobe Bryant
Nash

Jordan Hill can easily average 15/10 in 35 minutes. The good thing is, he doesn't really need any plays, he'll grab rebounds, bring energy and score. It's simple, bring Pau off the Bench when Howard/Hill need a breather THAT'S IT. Plus, since jordan hill doesn't really need many touches to be effective, Dwight will get even more opportunities to score while Metta/Kobe/nash shoot 3s/mid-range shots

Also, I think limiting Pau to 15 minutes a game will let him get healthy for playoffs and it may even take some pressure off of him so he can get back to playing basketball
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Re: Pau as a role player 

Post#195 » by Kobe System » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:59 pm

I agree. He can be our Paul Millsap/Carl Landry type of player. The problem is, even when Dwight is out, he is still playing in the perimeter.
LAFan24
Junior
And1: 9

Post#196 » by LAFan24 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:04 pm

Kobe System wrote:I agree. He can be our Paul Millsap/Carl Landry type of player. The problem is, even when Dwight is out, he is still playing in the perimeter.

Yeah exactly. But, I think we need to restrict him to only play at the 5 spot (however minutes that may be). He's gotta forget all this PF stuff and redefinie himself as a center. As time passes, hopefully he adjusts into this role and becomes "more" effective.
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#197 » by bigbreakfast » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:06 pm

As an outsider looking in, the problem isn't Pau it's the system. Pau's definitely lost his mojo on the court but I think if he's given a role he's comfortable with on offense he defense and rebounding can feed off of that. That's the type of player he is. Unfortunately D'antoni is too rigid to utilize players properly. Its unlikely Lakers will get close to equal value in return or what theyre looking for at this point.
KB24TBOTB
RealGM

Post#198 » by KB24TBOTB » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:11 pm

bigbreakfast wrote:As an outsider looking in, the problem isn't Pau it's the system. Pau's definitely lost his mojo on the court but I think if he's given a role he's comfortable with on offense he defense and rebounding can feed off of that. That's the type of player he is. Unfortunately D'antoni is too rigid to utilize players properly. Its unlikely Lakers will get close to equal value in return or what theyre looking for at this point.

It would be addition by subtraction
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#199 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:13 pm

Thought about that line up last night, it seems to be the only straw D'Antoni has to pull. And for guys saying we need our whole team......talking about including Steve Blake, then we're almost done. If our season is coming down to waiting for Blake to make a difference, we've more than hit rock bottom.....we've fell in a crater.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,097

Post#200 » by jigga_man » Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:18 pm

Start Hill, move Pau to the bench and play him in the post more.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers