ImageImageImageImage

Where does Vooch rank among all centers in the NBA?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,485

Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers in the NBA? 

Post#21 » by doct3r dr3 » Sat Jan 5, 2013 9:17 pm

drsd wrote:By PER, Vučević is at #26.

Ṫḩâñḱ ẙòü.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#22 » by SmiteaDwight » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:33 am

Interestingly enough, Dwight is putting up around the same stats, and a relatively less per as Andrew Bynum had last year and for years past. Imagine if the two had switched places, would Bynum currently be considered the best center in the league?
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#23 » by SmiteaDwight » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:37 am

Bobby Ray wrote:Vuc is just scratching the surface of his potential man, He has a post game he can build off of. He has a jumper with nice range that can actually be extended to the 3pt line if he chooses to and coach may have alluded to. His frame can still fill out some so he has room to get stronger which in turn will only help his rebounding and help him get post position. Really the only weakness he has is that he's not really athletic but his length helps kinda offset that and you can't say he's a bad defender either because he's not. He can only get better and i'm glad we have him, i personally know some philly fans regretting not playing him and giving him up

I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

Right now Vooch is simply Vooch.

A good player that won't take you places but won't fck you either.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#24 » by ivDT » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:00 am

better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#25 » by craig01 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 1:18 pm

ivDT wrote:better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.

I never considered Doleac a top 8 center, however.....

NV is way better, and Vucevic probably has more double digit rebound games in the early part of this season than Doleac had his entire career.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
onyxw
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#26 » by onyxw » Mon Jan 7, 2013 12:52 am

ivDT wrote:better than michael doleac, and doleac was a top 8 center.

:lol: Always good to see Magicjam/ozone jokes bridge to other message boards. Rumors are that Ron Mercer's girlfriend has a Louis Bullock autograph for anyone that can prove the top 8 comment false.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#27 » by RookieStar » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:11 am

This thread is perfect for the Doleac <> Declerc battle
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#28 » by OMPunk » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:07 am

Not even close
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,656

Post#29 » by GameOver25 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:47 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:Vuc is just scratching the surface of his potential man, He has a post game he can build off of. He has a jumper with nice range that can actually be extended to the 3pt line if he chooses to and coach may have alluded to. His frame can still fill out some so he has room to get stronger which in turn will only help his rebounding and help him get post position. Really the only weakness he has is that he's not really athletic but his length helps kinda offset that and you can't say he's a bad defender either because he's not. He can only get better and i'm glad we have him, i personally know some philly fans regretting not playing him and giving him up

I've heard the "he can add strength" argument before for Gortat and frankly, until they actually do it, I'am not convinced anything will happen.

unless we become good and resign him, we'll have to let him go because he'll be too expensive.

This makes no sense. The point of rebuilding is to get better. You do that by keeping Vuc, who's still young and proving to be a solid big and trade your current assets (JJ, Baby, etc). I'm not understanding your last sentence.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#30 » by magicman123 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:49 am

#2, right behind brooke lopez
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#31 » by SmiteaDwight » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:23 am

GameOver25 wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:

This makes no sense. The point of rebuilding is to get better. You do that by keeping Vuc, who's still young and proving to be a solid big and trade your current assets (JJ, Baby, etc). I'm not understanding your last sentence.

If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#32 » by MrTwister » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:29 am

Even though i am from Montenegro , i would say he is still away from top10 centers in NBA but since he is only 22, but he has all things and skills to become one of them in the future.I used to go in same school as him he looked like a giant to me even though i was 2nd tallest guy(i am now 194cm tall not quite sure how u measure that because we use metric system)

Funny thing is that Pekovic and Vucevic both were sidelined by their coaches and they believed they would never made even decent career, mostly because our coaches like giving more attention to PG/SG(i am talking about coaching youngsters) which mostly turned out to be flops and currently Montenegro despite having population of 650k have top 3 frontcourt in Europe thanks to them and few other young guys which have huge potential such as Bojan Dubljevic which is our stretch 4 with European Kevin Love potential.Nikola Mirotic which is drafted by Bulls is also Montenegrin(playing for Real Madrid) but with Spanish passport(there is a lot of drama will FIBA allow Spain to keep both him and Ibaka if they dont allow that Mirotic will probably play for us).Even w/o Vooch and Pek Montenegro managed to finish undefeated in our group topping Israel and Serbia on Eurobasket 2013 qualification.

After seeing him getting drafted by Philly and playing decent for minutes he got, i was glad he ended up in team like Orlando because i knew he would get more minutes and real chance after Howard departure.I am also amazed how much he improved his game since last time i saw him playing during NBA lockout which probably have something to do with Magic bigs coaches which certainly helped him grow into legit starting center and double-double machine.What i am hoping right now is that he definitely need to improve his defensive game because even for me he look soft sometimes.

I hope i made my points about him clear and understandable,not quite sure about my english skills but i tried to make it sound as simple i could.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,656

Post#33 » by GameOver25 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:25 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:
GameOver25 wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:

If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?

Honestly I think it's too early to tell. I can't answer that right now. I think we need to see how the rebuild process goes first.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#34 » by OrlDave » Wed Jan 9, 2013 7:04 pm

Vuc N Pek wrote:Even though i am from Montenegro , i would say he is still away from top10 centers in NBA but since he is only 22, but he has all things and skills to become one of them in the future.I used to go in same school as him he looked like a giant to me even though i was 2nd tallest guy(i am now 194cm tall not quite sure how u measure that because we use metric system)

Funny thing is that Pekovic and Vucevic both were sidelined by their coaches and they believed they would never made even decent career, mostly because our coaches like giving more attention to PG/SG(i am talking about coaching youngsters) which mostly turned out to be flops and currently Montenegro despite having population of 650k have top 3 frontcourt in Europe thanks to them and few other young guys which have huge potential such as Bojan Dubljevic which is our stretch 4 with European Kevin Love potential.Nikola Mirotic which is drafted by Bulls is also Montenegrin(playing for Real Madrid) but with Spanish passport(there is a lot of drama will FIBA allow Spain to keep both him and Ibaka if they dont allow that Mirotic will probably play for us).Even w/o Vooch and Pek Montenegro managed to finish undefeated in our group topping Israel and Serbia on Eurobasket 2013 qualification.

After seeing him getting drafted by Philly and playing decent for minutes he got, i was glad he ended up in team like Orlando because i knew he would get more minutes and real chance after Howard departure.I am also amazed how much he improved his game since last time i saw him playing during NBA lockout which probably have something to do with Magic bigs coaches which certainly helped him grow into legit starting center and double-double machine.What i am hoping right now is that he definitely need to improve his defensive game because even for me he look soft sometimes.

I hope i made my points about him clear and understandable,not quite sure about my english skills but i tried to make it sound as simple i could.

Nice post. I understood most of it. (194 cm is about 6 foot 4 according to google). Thanks for the input. :)
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#35 » by RickB-Orlando » Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:16 pm

SmiteaDwight wrote:If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?

Yes, yes I do. That's exactly the idea of getting young talent - you develop them and lock them in long term so you can build around them and win.

What strategy are you suggesting, develop one piece at a time but keep none of them because they aren't good enough to win a title all by themselves?

Building a team is a process, you add pieces and in time hope they develop and meld as you add more pieces. You don't throw away the good ones just because they're only the first piece.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#36 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:03 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:If Vooch continues to develop he will eventually command 8 figs. Unless we have a chance to be good in that season, do you really want to commit to paying that?

Yes, yes I do. That's exactly the idea of getting young talent - you develop them and lock them in long term so you can build around them and win.

What strategy are you suggesting, develop one piece at a time but keep none of them because they aren't good enough to win a title all by themselves?

Building a team is a process, you add pieces and in time hope they develop and meld as you add more pieces. You don't throw away the good ones just because they're only the first piece.

I'm just saying unless we can get other good pieces to put around him, paying him 8 figs isnt going to solve anything. That's the same predicament Cleveland is currently in with Anderson Varejao. I'm more for playing moneyball and find as many small contracts as we can until we're sure we have some guys who can develop into players. Right now we don't have that. I'm not encouraged by Hark or Nicholson.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User

Post#37 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:55 pm

SmiteaDwight wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:

I'm just saying unless we can get other good pieces to put around him, paying him 8 figs isnt going to solve anything. That's the same predicament Cleveland is currently in with Anderson Varejao. I'm more for playing moneyball and find as many small contracts as we can until we're sure we have some guys who can develop into players. Right now we don't have that. I'm not encouraged by Hark or Nicholson.

We honestly just did this with Ryno lol.
AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Post#38 » by AhaAha » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 am

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#39 » by KillMonger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:14 am

The rumor out there is that everyone but Vucevic is on the table for trades, that's how much the front office likes the guy so whether we want to pay him the big bucks or not he's in the future plans for now that is
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#40 » by drsd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 am

AhaAha wrote:http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47035/why-nikola-vucevic-could-be-the-next-marc-gasol

Nice article about Vuc.

A Marc Gasol comparison seems appropriate.

A note: Vučević now has 16 straight games with 9 or more rebounds.

Return to Orlando Magic