ImageImage

Trades for the Bucks to blow it up

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

kanyon
Junior
And1: 191

Re: Trades for the Bucks to blow it up 

Post#21 » by kanyon » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:19 am

Sell the team to Russ Feingold. Love or hate it, at least there'd be a **** plan.
KeyRabbit
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#22 » by KeyRabbit » Sun Jan 6, 2013 3:54 pm

DocHoliday wrote:Blow what up? We have some nice expirings, so let them expire. Amnesty Gooden, and trade Monta for picks and expirings if he trully isn't going to opt out. Done.

Agree. It's pretty clear (to me at least) that Monta is opting out. Daly, MDJr, Udrih, Daniels and Gorilla are gone.
Jennings, Sanders, Udoh, Henson, Lamb, Harris, LRMAM are all on favorable contracts. Ersan may be. The only truly bad contract is Gooen and we can amnesty that.

Use the cap space and draft day trades to upgrade or change the composition of the roster. This FO isn't going to or isn't allowed to do anything to saddle new ownership/management with any long-term burdens from blowing it up this season. Flexibility is key now, and if they do anything to change that it means Kohl is staying on.
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#23 » by jr lucosa » Sun Jan 6, 2013 3:57 pm

ampd wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:Blow what up? We have some nice expirings, so let them expire. Amnesty Gooden, and trade Monta for picks and expirings if he trully isn't going to opt out. Done.

Well yeah. This team is wired to self destruct. In order to blow it up we pretty much just need to do nothing

Yep, over 50% of this teams shots per game are expiring, rather ride this swag wave out.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#24 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:05 pm

jr lucosa wrote:
ampd wrote:

Well yeah. This team is wired to self destruct. In order to blow it up we pretty much just need to do nothing

Yep, over 50% of this teams shots per game are expiring, rather ride this swag wave out.

You guys are both confusing this with a "win now" thread. All those trades I proposed in the original post are for young players and draft picks.

We'd be stupid to let guys like Monta, Dunleavy, Dalembert, Beno, etc all walk at the end of the season if there are opportunities to get future assets for them.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#25 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:10 pm

kanyon wrote:Sell the team to Russ Feingold. Love or hate it, at least there'd be a **** plan.

Too bad Feingold is one of the only senators in U.S. history with actual integrity. He couldn't afford the Bucks because he hardly gained a dime in net worth during all those years in the senate. He was an independent thinker, not a greedy corporate shill, and one of the only true representatives of the people that office has ever known. Wisconsin sold its soul when it voted him out of office.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
jtrinaldi
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#26 » by jtrinaldi » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:21 pm

Isn't it consensus that Gooden will be amnestied? No team will be willing to take on his remaining deal.....
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#27 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:34 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:Jennings and Gooden for Millsap - Maybe he resigns, maybe he doesn't. No skin off my back. We don't have to resign Jennings and dump Gooden.

Ersan for Sessions/filler - Get your starting point guard back.

Assuming Roy retires - Dudley/Roy to us, Monta to Minny, D-Will to Phoenix. Maybe try to pluck Kendall Marshall from Phoenix too.

Dalembert for Morrow

Sessions / Udrih
Dudley / Morrow
LRMAM / Dunleavy / Harris
Millsap / Henson
Sanders / Udoh

Stupid amount of 2013 cap space.

perfect. but tell me, what good is all that "stupid amount of cap space" when no good players will sign here? bottom line the only way to turn this team around is to either trade for someone high B level player (gay) or an A level player which we don't have the pieces to get, or get as many high draft picks as possible and get lucky in the draft.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#28 » by jr lucosa » Sun Jan 6, 2013 4:50 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
You guys are both confusing this with a "win now" thread. All those trades I proposed in the original post are for young players and draft picks.

We'd be stupid to let guys like Monta, Dunleavy, Dalembert, Beno, etc all walk at the end of the season if there are opportunities to get future assets for them.

Well, I'm not even going to pretend to act like Jennings or Monta are getting traded especially for a young asset.

If any of Dunleavy, Beno or Dalembert could land a 1st I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I can't see us trading established players for guys who have yet to crack a rotation though, and its hard to trade old role players for equal value young talent. I would mind going after a guy like Isaiah Thomas who is in a bad situation and is better than his volume numbers indicate. I have a hard time believing Sacramento would take an expiring vet for him though, I'd consider dangling Udoh.

My general rule for expirings is trade them for best draft pick available. I would probably take picks over anything else Beno or Dunleavy could land. Something like Dalembert for Morrow seems realistic but Morrow is an expiring too isn't he?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#29 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:49 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Jennings and Gooden for Millsap - Maybe he resigns, maybe he doesn't. No skin off my back. We don't have to resign Jennings and dump Gooden.

Ersan for Sessions/filler - Get your starting point guard back.

Assuming Roy retires - Dudley/Roy to us, Monta to Minny, D-Will to Phoenix. Maybe try to pluck Kendall Marshall from Phoenix too.

Dalembert for Morrow

Sessions / Udrih
Dudley / Morrow
LRMAM / Dunleavy / Harris
Millsap / Henson
Sanders / Udoh

Stupid amount of 2013 cap space.

perfect. but tell me, what good is all that "stupid amount of cap space" when no good players will sign here? bottom line the only way to turn this team around is to either trade for someone high B level player (gay) or an A level player which we don't have the pieces to get, or get as many high draft picks as possible and get lucky in the draft.

Having cap space allows you to absorb contracts in exchange for draft picks. It was a tactic that helped OKC build a championship contender rather quickly.
Do it for Chuck
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#30 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:51 pm

jr lucosa wrote:
Well, I'm not even going to pretend to act like Jennings or Monta are getting traded especially for a young asset.

Right, but the premise of this thread is a pretend thread. And if people around here in the media or our front office finally start to get it, maybe someday we'd see this type of blowup plan in reality.

Here's a blurb from Mark Stein on Bledsoe:

External interest in Eric Bledsoe is predictably high no matter what the Clippers do to dissuade it, thanks to Bledsoe's consistently noticeable impact in limited minutes off the bench as a defensive disruptor and tempo-changer alongside NBA Sixth Man Award top contender Jamal Crawford and swingman Matt Barnes.

Yet sources briefed on L.A.'s thinking insist that the Clippers don't want to even begin to contemplate the idea of trading Bledsoe until they know that Chris Paul is signed and sealed for the long term. So don't expect Bledsoe to be in play before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

The fact remains that, even after L.A.'s recent run of 17 straight wins, no one in Clipperland is relaxing because everyone knows Paul is still headed for free agency on July 1. When all those increasingly positive whispers about CP3's willingness to sign a long-term extension with the Clips in the summer come to fruition, maybe then the thought of trading Bledsoe is something they can stomach.

I have no idea if the Clips would actually trade him and no idea if Bledsoe actually turns into anything. But this is the type of deal we need to overpay some of our assets for. If the Clips would accept Jennings as their backup plan to Chris Paul and if we also included for them Dunleavy or Udoh, I think we could pull this off. We might end up with an over-rated PG who goes nowhere or we could end up with the next Russell Westbrook if Bledsoe takes off.

AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#31 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:22 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:

emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#32 » by ampd » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:25 pm

AB wants us to try to assemble a team of all white guys?
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#33 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:31 pm

ampd wrote:AB wants us to try to assemble a team of all white guys?

Plus Tobes.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,605

Post#34 » by Baddy Chuck » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:33 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:perfect. but tell me, what good is all that "stupid amount of cap space" when no good players will sign here? bottom line the only way to turn this team around is to either trade for someone high B level player (gay) or an A level player which we don't have the pieces to get, or get as many high draft picks as possible and get lucky in the draft.

You could literally sign 4-5 role players and be as good a team as we are now. You could sign three guys for the price that Rudy Gay will cost you and probably come out ahead in terms of wins. Not to mention you could use that to absorb salary in trades as well. All in all, we aren't a very good team right now. We won't be a very good team with someone like Rudy Gay. We wouldn't be a very good team with whoever we sign. I'll take the cap space over a 55 million dollar chucker. We're a ways away from being a good team, adding crippling deals to your salary cap is one of the worst ways to get better.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#35 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:41 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote: I'll take the cap space over a 55 million dollar chucker.

We had an $18 million dollar chucker in 2008-09 that we didn't trade before he got injured. But if we had dealt him when we had the chance, we could have gone into the summer of 2009 in position to sign our choice of either David Lee at 4/$40 or Milsap at 4/$45. So we can still spend the money but do it more wisely.

AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#36 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:46 pm

emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,374

Post#37 » by blazza18 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 8:54 pm

Should of blown it all up last season. Perfect chance to do it.

I'd look at something towards getting Brandon to Utah or Toronto.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#38 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:54 pm

It's too late to trade Brandon for anything of value. They wasted his trade value away, just like they did with Bogut.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#39 » by europa » Sun Jan 6, 2013 9:57 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:It's too late to trade Brandon for anything of value. They wasted his trade value away, just like they did with Bogut.

They actually had the opportunity to make what could have turned out to be a fantastic trade for Bogut. Instead, they chose the inferior option. So as it turned out Bogut had plenty of value at the time of his trade given what the Bucks could have (and should have) gotten for him.
Nothing will not break me.
kebzach
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#40 » by kebzach » Sun Jan 6, 2013 10:06 pm

As you guys make up your trade ideas, keep these 2 things in mind:

1. Bucks will not amnesty Goodon. I don't think they have the cash to do this.

2. Bucks are currently looking at "only" $ 42M in salary for next season, and "only" $ 31M if Ellis opts out. Salary cap floor is going to be in the $ 49-50M range. So they will have to ADD salary into next season's roster, which can be done in one of several ways.

Replacing Dalembert, Dunleavy and Udrih will go a ways towards accomplishing this for example. Or, they could extend Jennings (hopefully not) and that too would eat up some of that cap space. Either way, keep in mind that the idea of trading expirings for picks would mean that other FA's would have to be picked up over the summer, to get to the cap floor.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks