ImageImageImageImageImage

OKC Exposed Demar Derozan game + thoughts on Raps

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Calderon
Banned User
And1: 199

Re: OKC Exposed Demar Derozan game + thoughts on Raps 

Post#21 » by Calderon » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:38 pm

The OKC game didn't expose anything about Demar that wasn't already painfully obvious.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#22 » by dTox » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:43 pm

Demar's game completely relies on a pg who can penetrate or will let him have the ball early in the shotclock for him to operate and create a shot. Big reason why he sucked was due to him playing the entire game with Jose, he doesn't get the ball in the post where Lowry has repeatedly found him as well as running the fast break. Its no coincidence that Demar's resurgence came at the same time Lowry returned from injury, and he was also doing well in the first few games before Lowry went down.
TBZ for the win
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#23 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:00 pm

dTox wrote:Demar's game completely relies on a pg who can penetrate or will let him have the ball early in the shotclock for him to operate and create a shot. Big reason why he sucked was due to him playing the entire game with Jose, he doesn't get the ball in the post where Lowry has repeatedly found him as well as running the fast break. Its no coincidence that Demar's resurgence came at the same time Lowry returned from injury, and he was also doing well in the first few games before Lowry went down.

If you have Lowry, do you need DeRozan?
Clearly DeRozan cannot be the first option nor second option (perhaps in the future, don't know), where these two options are required to create from nothing to get the team going. That leaves him as the third option, but most third options are two-way players, where they play extremely good defense, and DeRozan is not one.

Usually:
1st option - Capable of leading a team, scoring when the team needs them, and able to create for others
2nd option - Scoring when the team needs them, make your 1st option easier, and take the lead if 1st option is struggling
3rd option - Capable of scoring and defending, lead the team on the defensive end
6th man - Capable of scoring and provide a spark off the bench, not necessary a good defender, but capable of taking the buzzer beater
4th option - Excellent defender and capable of taking open shots
5th option - Excellent defender and capable of taking open shots

I see Lowry and Bargnani as the proven 1st and 2nd option, while Jonas and Ross have the potential to be 3rd and 4th. Our 6th man can be Anderson, and Pietrus to fill the 5th option.

Therefore, if you are replacing Bargnani, I would suppose it will be Gay or someone who is capable of creating from the perimeter, which is a much better player than DeRozan. Gay/Granger is playing the 3rd option on their team, which works replacing Jonas while he is adjusting to the NBA, but I don't DeRozan has that talent to take that role.
Seasontickets
Bench Warmer
And1: 600

Post#24 » by Seasontickets » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:05 pm

Talent wins basketball games.

Okc shut down a team with no post options, a pass first pg and minimal three point shooting in the starting unit. I'm all for keeping dd because he's talented.

Trade him for Gay? Nah for 17 million.
Pretty neat and on the fridge for the real fans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323749208768
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#25 » by lander » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:22 pm

I have often defended Derozan, but yesterday even I was frustrated with him. I guess for me it all comes down to him laying down everytime things don't go the way he would like on the court. For once I would like to see him just go at his defender even if that's forcing the issue. Ultimately though he's not the player people want him to be, but you have to accept that we want more from a guy who is flawed and plays with trash. When the defence is keying in on you your teammates are supposed to make your job easier by playing well. This teams problem is the management that put this roster together and the coach that comes up with the plan.

Yes Demar is flawed, but he is not the problem. OKC game planned for him and we had no answer plus they are a far superior team.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#26 » by JWiLL02 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:44 pm

Not trying to make excuses for DeMar, but Sefolosha is basically the ultimate player to guard him. He has no size, strength, length or quickness advantage in that match up. Factor in the defensive reputation with the refs and now DeMar won't even get the benefit of any contact when he forces it inside.

Beyond that though, he just seemed to get into DeMar's head. Some of those missed shots were just shaky and lacking in confidence. He put the wrong spin on the ball when he missed that left handed layup in the lane, which is so basic you know his focus just wasn't there.

It's odd too, because he doesn't necessarily flop vs. all elite teams, yet OKC has him locked down. Other than that one dud vs. the Spurs earlier this year, he went on a run of averaging 29 PPG against them. Danny Green and Leonard are quality defensive players too. We just saw him kill Wes Matthews and Nic Batum the other night as well, yet against the Thunder he has the yips.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
YoungG
Head Coach
And1: 4,505

Post#27 » by YoungG » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:45 pm

Demar doesn't have a go-to move in the triple threat position. Alan Anderson for example had a way better game that Demar did, but that doesn't make A.A. better than D.D., it just shows how inexperienced and raw Demar still is.

Demar has quickness on the offensive end but with the ball, he becomes a lot slower. His handles need to improve to the point where he knows what to do in a triple threat position when teams are pushing up on him or sagging of. That knowledge will help him to being to blow by defenders.

As for Demar's defense...positioning is his biggest weakness. He always faces up with his defender rather than force the ball handler to a side. The second the ball handler picks a side, Demar hesitates to then catch up to the ball handler but the thing is, at that point, it's too late.

Demar just needs someone to coach him in the off season and TEACH him these tactics in order for him to grow into a better 2-way player.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#28 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:53 pm

JWiLL02 wrote:Not trying to make excuses for DeMar, but Sefolosha is basically the ultimate player to guard him. He has no size, strength, length or quickness advantage in that match up. Factor in the defensive reputation with the refs and now DeMar won't even get the benefit of any contact when he forces it inside.

Beyond that though, he just seemed to get into DeMar's head. Some of those missed shots were just shaky and lacking in confidence. He put the wrong spin on the ball when he missed that left handed layup in the lane, which is so basic you know his focus just wasn't there.

It's odd too, because he doesn't necessarily flop vs. all elite teams, yet OKC has him locked down. Other than that one dud vs. the Spurs earlier this year, he went on a run of averaging 29 PPG against them. Danny Green and Leonard are quality defensive players too. We just saw him kill Wes Matthews and Nic Batum the other night as well, yet against the Thunder he has the yips.

Lol, the game before OKC? Excuse.
DeRozan lacks effort, compare to Ross. Even Bargnani jumps to his highest to contest corner shots, and Bargnani runs back if not because he is clueless. Exact same problem with Bargnani happens in DeRozan on the defensive end. No one taught them defense, and Casey is the first.
West Rouge
Banned User
And1: 324

Post#29 » by West Rouge » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:55 pm

Atleast he stayed in New Years eve
erekose200
Senior
And1: 126

Post#30 » by erekose200 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:09 pm

Demar brings so little to the table. inefficient scorer, awful defender, does not pass or rebound well but does just enough scoring in meaningless games or games against bad teams that, coupled with age, fools people in believing in his 'potential'.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#31 » by JWiLL02 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:11 pm

Indeed wrote:
JWiLL02 wrote:Not trying to make excuses for DeMar, but Sefolosha is basically the ultimate player to guard him. He has no size, strength, length or quickness advantage in that match up. Factor in the defensive reputation with the refs and now DeMar won't even get the benefit of any contact when he forces it inside.

DeRozan lacks effort, compare to Ross. Even Bargnani jumps to his highest to contest corner shots, and Bargnani runs back if not because he is clueless. Exact same problem with Bargnani happens in DeRozan on the defensive end. No one taught them defense, and Casey is the first.

I'm always impressed that you find a way to talk about Bargnani when he has nothing to do with the topic.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Indeed
RealGM

Post#32 » by Indeed » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:29 pm

JWiLL02 wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I'm always impressed that you find a way to talk about Bargnani when he has nothing to do with the topic.

I bought the same criteria for judging a player. This is what people proclaim their view, shouldn't it be equally evaluate? Unless Bargnani is biased, otherwise, why not put the same criteria / measurement for both players to make things fair?

Again, both has a young player behind them, and both are below their expectation (not rebounding vs not playmaking).
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#33 » by andyo » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:39 pm

Demar is exactly what he is. A well below average and inefficient SG at a non-premium position in the NBA (i.e as compared to PG, which has a plethora of quality depth in recent years). And well overpaid as well.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#34 » by JV4MVP » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:49 pm

erekose200 wrote:Demar brings so little to the table. inefficient scorer, awful defender, does not pass or rebound well but does just enough scoring in meaningless games or games against bad teams that, coupled with age, fools people in believing in his 'potential'.

... all for $40,000,000
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#35 » by dballislife » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:06 pm

man demar gets hate on way too much here, what about the 20 something good games that hes had
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#36 » by pkiskool » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:10 pm

DD is overrated.
I'd take JR Smith or OJ Mayo any day over him.
Not to mention his contract... gezz BC
DD should have got Amir's contract, Amir should have got Kleiza's contract, and Kleiza should have got AA's contract.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#37 » by Danchan » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:13 pm

lol i remember people laughing when I said we should trade demar for OJ mayo last year.
Skillset people skillset. It's obvious from first sight that who has a feel for the game and a real ball player.
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#38 » by carl_english » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:16 pm

We can knock on DD all we want but, he will be here for another 4 years. Deal with it or watch other games(like me).
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#39 » by The_Hater » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:35 pm

I think that DD has a lot of skill in 1 on 1 situations but as soon as a defense gears itself to stop him, it won't ever be very tough. I think that's primary because he lacks 3 point range and doesn't see the floor well enough to exploit double teams.

He should expect to see a lot more of this type of defense in the coming weeks, hopefully he finds a way to adjust.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#40 » by Danchan » Mon Jan 7, 2013 8:20 pm

The_Hater wrote:I think that DD has a lot of skill in 1 on 1 situations but as soon as a defense gears itself to stop him, it won't ever be very tough. I think that's primary because he lacks 3 point range and doesn't see the floor well enough to exploit double teams.

He should expect to see a lot more of this type of defense in the coming weeks, hopefully he finds a way to adjust.

no, it's because he doesn't have any intuition. His 1 on 1 relys on bullying his way into the paint and forcing a shot up. He doesn't have the feel of how the ball bounces or how much force is needed to use to make a lay up. He doesn't have any soft touch around the basket, especially if he's already in motion and in the air. you give him Amir's touch around the rim combined with his raw strength he would be amazing. BUT you can't teach a pig to fly...

Return to Toronto Raptors