RGM's Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Vote for #10

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

RGM's Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Vote for #10 

Post#1 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:51 pm

Real GM's TnT Board Top 25 Most Valuable Players

1. LeBron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Kyrie Irving
4. Derrick Rose
5. Carmelo Anthony
6. Chris Paul
7. Anthony Davis
8. James Harden
9. Russell Westbrook

With December 15th here, seems now is as good a time as any for our annual list of players with the most trade value. After this is done we will move on to the annual list of players with the most negative trade value.

Please vote for the player that you think currently has the most trade value and please list a nominee that should be added the voting list. Remember this is trade value, so factors such as salary/contract, age, potential, production, injuries, etc. should all be factored in to your vote.

The current nominees:

Kobe Bryant

Blake Griffin

Dwight Howard

Dwayne Wade

Rajon Rondo

Kevin Love

LaMarcus Aldridge

Andre Drummond

Ricky Rubio

Damian Lillard

Some helpful sites for salary information:
http://data.shamsports.com/content/page ... /index.jsp
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salaries/

Please write in both your vote and nomination

Last year's results:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1161629

Votes:
RW - 15
Love - 10
Griffin - 9
Rondo - 3
LMA - 1
Drummond - 2

Nominations:
Rubio - 9
M.Gasol - 7
Noah - 2
Curry - 4
Holiday - 3
Deron - 5
Bosh - 6
Ibaka - 2
Monroe - 1
DD - 1
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Re: RGM's Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Vote for #10 

Post#2 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:00 pm

Vote: Kevin Love

Nominate: Deron Williams
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,978

Post#3 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:05 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Vote: Kevin Love
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:08 pm

You guys don't think Love's broken hand has set his value back?

Not sure how much time he will miss, but with only so much time on his contract and the fear that perhaps this is a potentially re-occurring injury, wouldn't that put a damper on his value?
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:10 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Career so far: http://bkref.com/tiny/L1rBR
This season: http://bkref.com/tiny/1NjUl

Career pp36, PER and TS% are almost identical. Love is a better rebounder, Blake gets more assists. Neither is a renown defender. But Blake is younger. Signed to 2 more years. And cheaper this season. And I think very few would question more famous/marketable/popular/star power:

For instance, last year Blake had well over twice the All star votes then Kevin Love. Same this year:
Blake Griffin (LAC) 489,795 (projected starting All star)
Kevin Love (Min) 189,949

Likes on nba.com
Blake 6.2k
Love 1.8k

Jersey sales:
Blake: 9th last season
Love: Not top 15

The younger guy that jumps over cars and is signed for 2 more years wins this.

Love may have the higher bb-IQ, and projecting them as players despite the slump this season I think there is a very strong case for taking Love over Griffin if you had them both for another 8 years. But you don't.
You have Blake for 4.5 years and Love for 2.5. And Blake is more popular/marketable (and has pissed people off less).

I'm not, but if your a believer that athleticism is more important for future development, something along the following lines:
The chances _(Blake)___ catches __(Love)__ in BB IQ is slim. The chances __(Love)___ catches __(Blake)___ in athleticism is none.

Then the case for Blake over Love should be a slam dunk. (Pun intended, sorry)

And now Love is out for 6-8 weeks with a reinjury to his hand.

I'm not sure how anyone but the biggest Twolf fan can have Love above Griffin, who again is more popular, cheaper, signed much longer, younger, not injured, and obviously having the better year so far then the twice injured 45.8% TS of Love. Go on and explain yourself VC.

V: Blake Griffin
N: Marc Gasol

(Westbrook went 1 too high)
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:13 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:You guys don't think Love's broken hand has set his value back?

Not sure how much time he will miss, but with only so much time on his contract and the fear that perhaps this is a potentially re-occurring injury, wouldn't that put a damper on his value?

I'm long-term and risk averse, so for me, it's six weeks vs. 2.5 years left on his contract.

The only other guy I considered at this level was Blake Griffin, but that's a drop. If Westbrook was still a choice, I'd have taken him here.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,341

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:15 pm

Vote: Blake Griffin---forget about on-court tho hes a good player. The guy would sell tickets and $$$ matters
Nom: Im torn here between a couple but I guess Ill agree with HW again: Marc Gasol
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
theokie
Assistant Coach
And1: 617

Post#8 » by theokie » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:16 pm

V. Griffin
N. Ibaka
spearsy23 wrote: Kevin Durant could save a dozen orphans from a fire and realgm would point out that Lebron would have just put the fire out.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:17 pm

shrink wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:You guys don't think Love's broken hand has set his value back?

I'm long-term and risk averse, so for me, it's six weeks vs. 2.5 years left on his contract.

The only other guy I considered at this level was Blake Griffin, but that's a drop. If Westbrook was still a choice, I'd have taken him here.

But you have to admit.. 6-8 weeks is the majority of the rest of the regular season so it severely hurts his value to all but rebuilding teams this season. For a playoff team to take a gamble on him now, means they are sacrificing their playoff seed.. or playoff hopes.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,472

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:18 pm

shrink wrote:

So effectively its 2 years of Love is worth more then 4.5 of Blake now? I can't see that at all, especially when:
1) his first hand injury effected his shooting.
2) this is already a re-injury.

Love has more of the risks, in both injury and contract. :-?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:18 pm

V: Griffin
N: B.Lopez
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#12 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:19 pm

V: Aldridge
N: Parker
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:21 pm

A compelling case being made for Griffin over Love right now, I'm very tempted to switch my vote figuring Blake was the next guy I would be voting for if Love came off the board here.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shrink
RealGM

Post#14 » by shrink » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:24 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
shrink wrote:The only other guy I considered at this level was Blake Griffin, but that's a drop. If Westbrook was still a choice, I'd have taken him here.

But you have to admit.. 6-8 weeks is the majority of the rest of the regular season so it severely hurts his value to all but rebuilding teams this season. For a playoff team to take a gamble on him now, means they are sacrificing their playoff seed.. or playoff hopes.

In the poll for #9, someone brought up whether this was about "favorite player," but what always occurs to me is what we each believe creates the most trade value with GM's. For me, I'm risk-averse, I want long-term good deals .. conversely don't want to pay a lot for a longterm deal that could go bad. I like athleticism at this level. I like stardom, and marketability at these high levels. Superstars are the most valuable commodity to me, and I like it if they've proven they can do so.

I hear what you're saying about Love's affect this season, but I'm not sure that Love won't be more productive than Blake Griffin over the next 2.5 years .. even if he's out for 6 weeks now. So while the injury is a negative, I don't see it as a contract-killer. Moreover, while Blake is healthy now, I'd almost be willing to bet he'll miss more games than Love over the next 2.5 years.

However, this isn't a big difference to me. I'll take Blake after Love, but I think Blake's a good choice too. Likewise, I think Marc Gasol's a good choice too, but I think Deron still has more superstardom in him, and like I said in the first paragraph, I think that has a lot of value to revenue-conscious GM's.
fallacy
RealGM
And1: 607

Post#15 » by fallacy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:27 pm

V: Love
N: Ibaka
**** Ron Artest
**** Marco Belinelli
Stephen Jackson aint bout dis lyfe
Patrick Beverly deserves to have his knee ripped to pieces
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#16 » by WizardsWorld » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm just going to keep copying and pasting my response... its been the same for about the last 4 of these .... getting silly IMO

The fact that Blake isn't on the list yet is a joke but I'll keep playing along anyway...

Vote: Blake Griffin
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#17 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:34 pm

V: Griffin

N: Monroe
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,946

Post#18 » by Drax » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:36 pm

V: Rajon Rondo
N: Marc Gasol
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#19 » by Mr. E » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:47 pm

Vote: Blake Griffin
Nominate: Chris Bosh
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#20 » by x- » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:52 pm

Mr. E wrote:Vote: Blake Griffin