ImageImageImageImageImage

A turnaround is always possible

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: 31-18 

Post#101 » by Doormatt » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:28 pm

i think its important to note that the lakers are 9th in SRS. the 3 teams ahead of the lakers for the 8th spot in the west, which are utah, minny and portland, are imo clearly worse teams with the lakers now healthy. especially with injuries to love for minny. btw those teams are 14th, 16th and 20th in SRS respectively.
#doorgek
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#102 » by AcecardZ » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:30 pm

The Lakers can make the playoffs but won't because they don't defend well and can't shoot. Without players that can knock down open looks our offensive spacing is going to continue to be very poor preventing Dwight from being effective on the offensive end. Simply put teams pack the paint against us and we've been unable to consistently make teams pay for leaving a man wide open on the perimeter. Our second chance opportunities are greatly limited by the fact we don't rebound well offensively. It's almost impossible for us to get an offensive rebound when Pau is 20 feet from the basket and Dwight is surrounded by three guys. Unless we start shooting the ball better our spacing is going to continue to be poor and nothing will change.

We gets tons of wide open looks but it feels like we miss more than we make and without looking up the numbers I'm very certain our opponents don't miss more uncontested looks than they make against us..
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
pp34thetruth_
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#103 » by pp34thetruth_ » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:33 pm

Doormatt wrote:oh look, a celtic fan who thinks dwight howard of all people is our problem. great analysis, A+ friend.

you're rite bro, i was wrong, you'll go 49-0 the rest of the season and hopefully finish 64-18
GreenMachine wrote:Sorry folks, your dreams of a 10 win season are going to be nightmares. Not happening. We will be in the playoffs next year.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,412

Post#104 » by Slava » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:35 pm

We will make the playoffs but we need better, more consistent 3 point shooters. This team will not realize its complete potential until that area can be addressed and for the sake of God please adapt a zone defense. This roster is not set up for man defense.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#105 » by Doormatt » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:35 pm

pp34thetruth_ wrote:
Doormatt wrote:oh look, a celtic fan who thinks dwight howard of all people is our problem. great analysis, A+ friend.

you're rite bro, i was wrong, you'll go 49-0 the rest of the season and hopefully finish 64-18

thanks for the kind words friend.
#doorgek
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#106 » by Lost Angel » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:55 pm

a zone defense would be nice.

but where will we get 3 pt shooting? not too many teams want to trade with us
TheRealLakersGM
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: This will happen in the next 10 days 

Post#107 » by TheRealLakersGM » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:01 pm

TyCobb wrote:Do you foresee any particular trades?

I hope we will see 2-3 players out of this group, whether it is a trade or signing:
DeShawn Stevenson (very likely, although he has 3 year deal)
Tayshaun Prince (very likely, although he has 3 year deal)
Dorell Wright (would be a good fit, but will be very tough to get him- unlikely)
Trevor Ariza (very likely)
Martell Webster (very likely)
Dahntay Jones (very likely)
Wilson Chandler (very likely, Denver is playing well without him and will be looking to damp his salary since he has 4 year deal)
Carlos Delfino (probably unlikely anymore since Houston waived Cook)
Tony Allen (very unlikely)
Raja Bell (very likely, although not sure if we need a guy, who is old and hasn't played a minute this season)
Corey Brewer (very unlikely, Denver must be really stupid to trade him)
Delonte West (very likely, despite of his mental issues. We have nothing to lose at this point, and he is a good player)

So I would say Delonte West will be signed for a minimum for stabilizing guard spot.

The other 2 guys who will have to trade for will be: Ariza (7.2 mil), Prince (6.7 mil) Chandler (5.9 mil), DeShawn Stevenson (2.2 mil), Martell Webster ( 1.6 mil), Dahntay Jones (2.9 mil)

Our players in combinations who will be coming out are: Blake, Duhon, Clark, Ebanks and even Jamison. Do not get me wrong, our players have very little value, but what they have is expiring contracts (except Blake), and it is huge in this league. Plus Mitch has done it so many times before, he will do it again. He traded Luke Walton for Ramon Sessions last year for god's sake.

pg: Nash, WEST
sg: STEVENSON (will only play 16 min or so), Meeks (16 minutes), Kobe (16 min)
sf: Kobe ( 18 min), ARIZA (20-22 min), World Peace (8-10 min)
pf: Pau (10 min) Hill (16 min) World Peace (22 min)
c: Dwight, Pau

This is team will be mobile, energetic. Yes it is not a 3 point shooting team D'Antoni wants, but it will be small sometimes with World Peace playing 4 and much better defensively since that what we need.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#108 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:37 pm

Hollinger's odds has them projected to finish tied with Utah in 8th place at 41-41 (based on current record, margin of victory/loss, and strength of schedule, remaining home/away games)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#109 » by Kilroy » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:45 pm

We need Defense and we need to start winning those hustle plays. We're scoring enough.

If we can replace Pau with a starting player like that, and maybe bolster the bench at the same time, I think we'll make the playoffs.
If by some miracle, we can swing 2 legit starters for Pau, I think we still have a shot at the title.

I've not been a fan of D'Antoni but he has at least tried some different looks over the last few games... So I'll give him a pass for now, and say that the players need to have a Come to Jesus meeting...
Especially Kobe Nash and Dwight, and either kick each others' ass and get it over with or commit to each other. Maybe go buy matching Ferrari's or something...

If Nash, Kobe and Dwight can become one voice on this team, we'll be fine. But if those guys can't see eye to eye and there doesn't look like that's a possibility, we're not going to be fine no matter what else happens.

I think Nash and Kobe are as much on the same page as they're ever going to be. The know what each brings to the table and respect that... I think Dwight just needs to recognize the knowledge there. If he could be the balance point between the 2 we'd be in really good shape.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Doormatt
RealGM

Post#110 » by Doormatt » Mon Jan 7, 2013 5:47 pm

we definitely need someone capable of playing strong perimeter defense consistently on this team. someone like sefolosha would be amazing.
#doorgek
KnickBourne
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#111 » by KnickBourne » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:12 pm

Knick fan here. Lakers fan as well. I agree with the Celtics guy. I dont think you guys make the playoffs. Your bench is just to weak. I remember those days of playing with 2nd rounders trying to win, its real tough. Nash cant guard the Westbrooks, Lin, Paul, etc. Dantoni also has a history of running high mileage on his best players. Yes Kobe is a different kind of beast, but this beast is 34 year old, with shaky knees. I really think Gasol is the key to your success.
laduane1
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#112 » by laduane1 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:35 pm

Got to win the first game and then move on to #2. Not going to be a good week with Spurs and OKC coming up, another 2 losses. I sure hope not. But being real.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#113 » by 21shumpshumpst » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:37 pm

Why is everyone so ready to write off the Lakers form the playoffs when we are not even half way through the season?

Pringles is a horrible coach and I think he makes your chances worse but look at the standing for ****'s sake.

You are 3 games behind on the loss column to Portland from getting that 8th seed. Wolves are injured no Love and Rubio with his back spams.

So all that needs to happen within the next week is for you to win 3 and blazers lose 3 and you are in.

They have already had two 4 game losing streaks this season.
pp34thetruth_
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#114 » by pp34thetruth_ » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:54 pm

21shumpshumpst wrote:Why is everyone so ready to write off the Lakers form the playoffs when we are not even half way through the season?

Pringles is a horrible coach and I think he makes your chances worse but look at the standing for ****'s sake.

You are 3 games behind on the loss column to Portland from getting that 8th seed. Wolves are injured no Love and Rubio with his back spams.

So all that needs to happen within the next week is for you to win 3 and blazers lose 3 and you are in.

the fact is, if the lakers get to the playoffs, alright, they can, but how far will they go with as an 8th seeder against oklahoma city or san antonio?
first round exit at best IMO
and its a shame kobe has to play with a child like dh12...
personally i'd love a celtics-lakers remake....but its unlikely
GreenMachine wrote:Sorry folks, your dreams of a 10 win season are going to be nightmares. Not happening. We will be in the playoffs next year.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#115 » by 21shumpshumpst » Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:58 pm

pp34thetruth_ wrote:
21shumpshumpst wrote:Why is everyone so ready to write off the Lakers form the playoffs when we are not even half way through the season?

the fact is, if the lakers get to the playoffs, alright, they can, but how far will they go with as an 8th seeder against oklahoma city or san antonio?
first round exit at best IMO
and its a shame kobe has to play with a child like dh12...
personally i'd love a celtics-lakers remake....but its unlikely

Yeah Celtics are not going anywhere because they suck. They put all their hopes and dreams on Bradley coming back and solving their problems. They also have no frontcourt. Lol at thinking a rookie who can't get off the ground was the solution.

Anyways back to the Lakers. Yes most likely they would be 1 and done because of Pringles. The man is an idiot with a capital idiot. But its better than being in the lottery.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#116 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:00 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2eCHdqFYj4[/youtube]
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#117 » by EArl » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:19 pm

hermes wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2eCHdqFYj4[/youtube]

:rock:
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
GoldKnightRises
Senior
And1: 24

Post#118 » by GoldKnightRises » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:32 pm

Lakers are going 4-0 this week

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
LA_Sports
Junior
And1: 12

Post#119 » by LA_Sports » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:21 am

I just hope they get a couple wins over the next ten days.
JesusisGod
Banned User
And1: 0

I hope the Lakers win the championship 

Post#120 » by JesusisGod » Tue Jan 8, 2013 4:23 am

It is not looking good at all right now,
but for that reason, I hope the Lakers win it all!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers